Chasing Spirits: The Building of the "Ghost Adventures" Crew

Chasing Spirits: The Building of the "Ghost Adventures" Crew

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Take a look behind the scenes of the Travel Channel’s hit show Ghost Adventures with paranormal investigator Nick Groff as he shares his favorite explorations of the supernatural. From recording strange voices during his dusk-to-dawn lockdowns at “haunted” places to a face-to-face encounter with a spirit at Linda Vista Hospital in Los Angeles, Nick reveals an inside perspe...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by NAL Trade (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Spirits

Wendi
When discussing this book before reading it, a buddy said it was pretty good, that the voice of the book is very true to the voice of the author.

Keeping that in mind I went into reading this book with an open mind ready to be entertained. I was not disappointed. Nick Groff is that guy everybody wants to be pals with in school. Totally funny, slightly crazy, completely mischievous. And it doesn't seem to be traits that have left him as he's grown up.

If you have read Zak Bagans book this is a gre...more
Julie Herr
I read this book immediately after I finished Zak's book Dark World. Even though I enjoyed this book I didn't find it as interesting. I probably shouldn't compare the two but it was difficult not to when I read them one right after another. Nick's book is more about how GAC got its start and how they started the show than it is about paranormal experiences and the field of paranormal investigation.
I really loved the beginning. I though Nick did a great job explaining how hard it was to get re...more
R.G. Calkins
I really enjoyed the candid look into Nick's journey and into the life of a paranormal investigator. His story of an encounter at a young age, which led him to Ghost Adventures is truly a great read. The book covers his varied interests from ghosts, to music, to filmmaking. If you enjoy reading about the paranormal, entrepreneurship, or success stories, read Chasing Spirits.
Theresahpir
I am NOT a fan girl. In fact, I rarely watch Ghost Adventures anymore, finding Zak's personality and style of investigating simply insufferable. But...I AM a paranormal investigator with an interest in reading everything I can on the paranormal, including the stories of other investigators in this field.

Since Zak's lil' autobiography has skyrocketed in price, I picked up a very cheap copy of the Ghost Adventures' origin tale from Nick's point of view, and am very confident that I chose wisely!...more
Lupita

It was very well-written, and I loved how the book took us on a behind-the-scenes tour of how "Ghost Adventures" started. Short & sweet! Highly recommend it for GAC fans!
Reagan
Very good and Very inspiring. I love books like these where you can go behind the scenes of an amazing tv and their amazing participants.
Amanda
This book was a fast read. It provided a lot of insight into the ghost adventures crew and what it's like behind the scenes
Kelly
I love the show Ghost Adventures, so reading about how they started was interesting and I enjoyed learning about the "behind the scenes" info. The only thing I did not like at all about this book was the writing. I'm not a perfect writer by any means but I felt this book was written the same way I wrote papers in high school. I think I know what the intention was, because it was written exactly how he talks, so I think it was trying to be conversational but there were some parts where I was like...more
Hotavio
A fan of the Ghost Adventures tv series, "Chasing Spirits" gave me some insight into the mind of the least vocal of the crew. The book reassured me that Nick is the anchor in this endeavor. He is the most level-headed of the crew in that fame hasn't noticeably altered his persona, yet his adventures and the tv show have caused him to mature. I found myself inspired by his determination to fulfill his dreams of breaking into the film industry in the face of financial insecurity.
Overall, the book...more
I'll be honest: I'm a bit of a Ghost Adventures fan. As such, I recognise that someone unfamiliar with the show is unlikely to want to read Nick Groff's book, Chasing Spirits: The Building of the Ghost Adventures Crew.

However, despite regularly watching the show (which is of great entertainment value), I've never been in much of a rush to read the books associated with it. But then curiousity got the better of me. The more I watched it, the more curious I became about how three unknown guys fro...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Chasing Spirits is the story behind the popular 'documentary' show, Ghost Adventures, that investigates haunted locations around the world. Currently in it's fifth season on The Travel Channel, it is hosted by Nick Groff, Zak Bagans and Aaron Goodwin. Even though I hadn't heard of the show, I was looking forward to reading Chasing Spirits as I have a fascination for the paranormal. I find the idea of things that go bump in the night intriguing, though if I was ever to confront a ghost I would ru...more
Brigg Sabol
I really liked this book. I just finished reading Dark World: Into the Shadows with the Lead Investigator of The Ghost Adventures Crew . Both books are pretty different and you can't really compare the two. Both are great and if you're a fan of the show you'll enjoy each of them. But in the end... personally, I think I liked Chasing Spirits: The Building of the "Ghost Adventures" Crew better. Once again both books are totally entertaining, full of personal insight and behind the scenes stories,...more
Angie Fehl
I did like this book but I didn't love it as much as Zac Bagan's book. The writing wasn't as engaging, less refined(there were a few sentences here and there that were jarring to read, the way they were worded, had to read a few times to get what he was saying) and this book seemed less about the not-aired stuff from GA episodes and more about Nick's experiences in the world of film production. There are still interesting stories here, and it was cool to read his experiences on some of the most...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was one of the best autobiography's I've read in quite awhile. Nick Groff and Jeff Belanger made a book that not only told Nick's personal story, but answered 'Ghost Adventures' fan's most favorite questions, ending with equipment definitions that were detailed and informative. As a bonus, Nick included websites and group information for further research.

Nick Groff gave us his story from when he was young and surviving his own personal 'adventures' such as a Near-Death experience, which he...more
Jessica
A very interesting read. As a fan of Ghost Adventures from the very beginning, I have always been enamored with their style of investigating. I'd recommend this to anyone. Nick doesn't try and force you to believe anything: he simply wants to share his experiences with the world and offer a little insight into what he's seen and done. Brilliant read, and I'm not often the kind to read nonfiction memoirs/autobiographies! Well done, Nick! GAC forever! :)
Rinji
I picked this book up because I love the Ghost Adventures. However I never expected to get so wrapped up in it that I did not want to put it down. There were some points that made me shiver and think hard at others. There were several points in the book that made nod my head in agreement. I believe in ghosts and the paranormal. I just loved how to the point Nick Groff was and how he let who he is show through his writing. It is a book that I will reread several times and I have a feeling that it...more
Rita Ackerman
I have long been a fan of the show "Ghost Adventurers" and Nick is one of the founders and crew of that show. He writes about his life and how the show came to be, his experiences in filming and other projects. Most of all he writes about how his encounters have changed him for the better. How visiting the asylums and prisons touch his heart. He describes the job of ghost hunting and the equipment and how things are done on the show and elsewhere. It isn't often I can't put a book down but I was...more
Kate
After enjoying The television show ghost adventures for many years, I really enjoyed this inside look by Nick Groff on how they got started together, and how Nick Groff has become so fascinated with the paranormal. I found his writing style to be very easy to read and He gives you a very real glimpse into his life.
Krys
I thought that Zak Bagans had come up with Ghost Adventures. Right on Nick!
Sara
This was a fun, quick read. Written in a very conversational style, and it was enjoyable. The fan submitted questions were distracting, but only due to placement (one would show up in the middle of a retelling), but that's the only complaint I have.

An honest, funny look into Nick's life as a "Ghost Adventurer." I wish there were some paranormal photos included along with the other personal ones. Maybe he can't due to his Travel Channel contract or something.
Christine
I will say that I didn't expect much from this book- Zak, Nick, and Aaron aren't exactly known for being writers. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the book. It offered a lot of insight to Nick's personal life and beliefs, as well as how the GAC met and began the television show.

If you enjoy the television show or you like Nick in particular, this is a must-read book. If you didn't like the show or don't know the authors, I wouldn't pick it up.
Talia
Fascinating stuff from one third of the GAC, full of anecdotes and behind the scenes info of the show and Groff's own history. He's not a great writer though and I found myself chuckling a little at some of it, but he's terribly sincere and passionate.
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
The writing style is set up more like a biography/memoir focusing on Nick and his family with the addition of the adventures of the crew on their lockdowns and documentary.
If you are looking for something with more details about the show, cameras, types of ghosts and science behind the show check out Zak Baggans book.
The combination of the two books is a good rounding of the tv series background and the guys' lives.
Melissa DeGott
This was a really good book and informed me on a lot of things that I did not know about the paranormal and what goes on during a Ghost Adventures investigation. However, I also read Zak Bagan's book as well and found that one a lot more entertaining. I just thought that there were some parts of this book that were really boring and I could have done without.
Gabe Erwin
I really enjoyed this book, more so than Zac's book. Both were good reads but I just resonated with this one more. I loved all the personal accounts and behind the scenes info. I could feel the emotions that Nick went through on various adventures and also the personal pain from being gone from his family.

I would love to see Aaron write a book as well.
Diana
A good book for fans of the show. Nick Groff of Ghost Adventure tells you how he got into the entertainment business, and how the idea for the show came about. This book also gives you the history and some of the behind the scenes/deleted scenes of the show Ghost Adventures. It's a very entertaining book, and a fairly quick read. I really enjoyed it.
Tasha
This book was a fast read but I loved how it delved into the technical aspic of it all. Zak tends to be the more well known figure of GA, so it was also extremely awesome to find out about Nick and his background. If you want another view of Ghost Adventures, you get it with Nick's book.

a fair warning, the style of the book is very casual and laid back.
April
Dec 28, 2012 April rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: GAC Fans
Possibly the best book I have ever read! It's a definite read. Nick writes about his near death experience as a child, his experience at Linda Vista hospital and other events as well as the start of ghost adventures. I couldn't put the book down, and that rarely happens!
Lindsey Roeske
A very well written, easy read about Nick's experiences in ghost hunting. The background stories about GAC and what attracted him to ghost hunting are compelling and relatable. I'm looking forward to checking out Zak Bagan's book as well.
Tracy
Great breakdown of the beginnings of my favorite ghost hunting show; Ghost Adventures. Easy, fast and enable joy read. If you know Nick Groff from the show, it was very much written in his "voice".
If you are a fan I highly recommend!
  • Dark World: Into the Shadows with the Lead Investigator of The Ghost Adventures Crew
  • Paranormal State: My Journey into the Unknown
  • Destination Truth: Memoirs of a Monster Hunter
  • Growing Up Psychic: My Story of Not Just Surviving but Thriving--and How Others Like Me Can, Too
  • Seeking Spirits: The Lost Cases of The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography
  • Pearl Jam Twenty
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Almost Home: My Life Story

“if you’ve ever visited a battlefield or a murder scene, you can feel that something bad happened there.” 0 likes