Start by marking “Bonegrinder” as Want to Read:
Bonegrinder

Bonegrinder

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A bloodthirsty lake monster menaces a small town in the Ozarks When the men find him, the boy’s legs look like they were run through a wood-chipper. He’s bleeding heavily and near death, but he still has strength to tell them of the monster that attacked him: a dark, massive creature that emerged from the bottom of the lake. The child dies before he can say more.Sheriff Bi ...more
Published February 14th 2012 by Open Road Media (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Bonegrinder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bonegrinder

Randy
Sep 08, 2014 Randy marked it as to-read

A bloodthirsty lake monster menaces a small town in the Ozarks

Sheriff Billy Wintone has seen too much superstition, drunkenness, and rage in this small Ozarks town to believe the delirious boy’s

David B
Violent deaths in the vicinity of a small Ozark lakeside community spark rumors of a monster on the prowl, attract national attention, and throw the local population into chaos. The most interesting aspect of this novel is the way it tracks the local mood through the initial excitement at the attention and attendant business opportunities that the mysterious killings provide to the eventual horror that comes with the dawning realization that there might really be a monster out there. Overall how ...more
Alan Williams
Bonegrinder had me hooked from the opening pages.

Reminiscent of Peter Benchley's "Jaws", a small, one sheriff town goes from being very quiet to busy and popular and back to very quiet again, as a result of the malevolent monster that soon comes to be known as the "Bonegrinder". At first the curious draw of the monster brings people to the town, incentivised by the offer of a reward it becomes almost as dangerous just to be in town, as to be a victim of the Bonegrinder.

I loved the characters; t
David Bonesteel
Candice Mckinney
Sheriff Billy Wintone is sheriff of a small town in the Ozarks. The fishing is not as good in this part of the lake so there aren't many tourists. They all go to the North side of the lake until a fire burns most of the area. The people in Colver have tourists start to come to their town. Things are looking up for the residents until something starts coming out of the water and attacking people. No one can give much of a description before they die. When the tourists start leaving town the resid ...more
Eliana
Keeps you hooked til the very end every time. P.I. thriller/mystery.
Michele Whitecotton
This was a very early book from John Lutz (1977) and it was really, really good. I'm a fan of Mr. Lutz and have enjoyed many of his books, but this one surprised me. Unlike recent thrillers surrounding serial killers this one actually had a monster in it and it kept you guessing until the very end. I compare this book to a horror movie from the 70's. The new horror movies are more technologically advanced, but nothing beats an old scary movie. I highly recommend this book.
Frank Shumaker
This is one of the best thrillers and mysteries I have read. A new copy of the book is $500 and a VG to Fine Hardback is scarce as hen's teeth. In fact my own copy has no dust cover. The sherriff is a hoot, the characters are great and I still wonder why they bought the rights but never wrote a movie. Get it, read it, buy Alo Nudger St Louis novels from 1 on, the Fred Carver novels from 1 on and the 7, soon to be 8, New York City Frank Quinn novels.
Fred
Early John Lutz.. Its okay, but miles away from his Quinn books. Still a fun read, although the characters (and dialects) were a bit of a hurdle... Reads as if its a different author. Short, though, and Ive definitely read worse...
Karen
I liked this author's style of writing so much that I ordered some of his other books. They're completely different! But still good. And most are set in NYC, which is always fun to read about.
Jo Ann
I believe this is John Lutz first novel. The beginning was slow but than picked up after the first few chapters and proved to be a good read. Hey I almost missed my BART station a few days ago.
Kay
I was very disappointed in this novel by Lutz. It just didn't feel like his usual writing, but I stuck with it and felt overall thought it was okay.
Joyce McKune
Something was killing people near the lake and the Sheriff was under pressure to find out what kind of monster it was.
Helen
Overall a good book. A little slow going though. Ending was a surprise.
Wendy

Not sure about this book. Interesting plot leaves u with questions
Sarah Fudge
Sarah Fudge marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Doug Cluff
Doug Cluff marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Addy
Addy marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Rwilson
Rwilson marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Sandra Dean
Sandra Dean marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Asa Nagatani
Asa Nagatani marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Dennis
Dennis marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--virtually every mystery sub-genre. He is the author of more than thirty-five novels and 25 ...more
More about John Lutz...
In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2) Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1) Serial (Frank Quinn, #6) Night Kills (Frank Quinn, #3) Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)