Start by marking “Perfection (Perfection, #1)” as Want to Read:
Perfection (Perfection, #1)

Perfection (Perfection #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  70 reviews
The personification of Aryan purity, Ellyssa's spent her whole life under her creator's strict training and guidance; her purpose is to eradicate inferior beings. She was genetically engineered to be the perfect soldier: strong, intelligent, unemotional, and telepathic.
Only Ellyssa isn't perfect.
Ellyssa feels emotions--a fact she's spent her life concealing. Until she en
Published July 16th 2013 by Spencer Hill Press (first published May 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Perfection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfection

Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman's Daughter by Megan ShepherdThe Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell
YA Debuts 2013
84th out of 523 books — 2,408 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
297th out of 1,510 books — 10,411 voters

More lists with this book...

Molly Mortensen
Point of View: Third (Ellyssa, Dr. Hirch Ellyssa’s ‘father’, Angela a member of the Gestapo, and Rein a young renegade)

Source: Netgalley

My Rating: 6/10 Stars

Predictability: 4 out of 5 (Where 1 is George RR Martin (If the characters make a plan or think about the future I know it isn’t going to go that way.) And 5 is Cinder (where I guessed what was going to happen long before it did, but it was still a great book.)

Warnings: Attempted rape and torture (with super powers)

My Summary: Perfection is
Kate Kaynak
This is SUCH an amazing, original story--it's Westerfield's SPECIALS meets Philip K. Dick's THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE. "Dystopian" doesn't even begin to cover a world in which the Nazis won the war. This is a must-read for anyone who likes their YA with an edge; we're delighted to have it at Spencer Hill!
J.L. Spelbring
Apr 25, 2013 J.L. Spelbring rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I hope everyone who reads PERFECTION enjoys it. July 2013 is getting closer.
Bethany
If you're not already desperately awaiting the release of this book, you should be. Mark it on every calendar you have!

J.L. Spelbring is able to create an entire universe that is both chilling and heartbreaking - a cold and desolate tale that goes far beyond the word 'dystopia'. Elyssa's character is dynamic and beautifully written. Her voice and actions make you both want to keep away from her and hug her tight at the same time. The entire book from beginning to end will have you worried, terri
Lauren Hammond
This book is seriously so unique and amazing it's mind-blowing!
Alex Bennett
Fantastic! Review to come...
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Perfection Review on K-Books

"Together, we can make it through whatever awaits us."

Wow!
That was my initial reaction after finishing Perfection. This is without a doubt one of the most well thought out, cleverly-written and unique books I have ever read. I am naturally a massive fan of Dystopia novels so I couldn't wait to read Perfection from the first moment that I heard of it. Perfection is all that I hoped it would be and more.

Ellyssa is perfect. No really! She has been genetically engineered
Janina
This was a hard book for me to rate and write for some reason. I enjoyed the story and thought the author's writing style was great, but I don't know why I'm having such a hard time writing this review. I really enjoyed the idea of the story. The doctor of the center/Ellyssa father is pretty much corrupt. He's creating the 'perfect' soldiers to establish Hitlers goals of perfection and utopia. If he thinks they aren't perfect in their genetics and abilities, then the soldiers are suppose to elim ...more
Brooke
I want to thank Spencer Hill Press for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way changed my opinion or review.

Blurb from Goodreads:
Only Ellyssa isn't perfe
Willow Cross
I was lucky enough to have the honor of reading Perfection pre-publication. This is hands down one of the best dystopians I've ever read. The story is a fast-paced thrill ride that will keep you rapidly turning pages to get to the end. The characters are so well crafted that I felt as if I'd known them for a long time. Do yourself a favor and read it. You will not be disappointed!
L.M. Preston
Perfection starts of with a bang. A girl escaping her fate, and running for her life. The adventure the tension between her and the one she would fall in love with captures you. But when she faces the one evil mastermind behind it all she realizes that maybe he isn't the only one she has to fear.

Loved it!
E. VanZwoll
In an alternate timeline where Hitler won WWII, Ellyssa is a genetically bioengineered model of perfection. With platinum blonde hair, azure blue eyes, and a perfect body, she is the dream of what Hitler was imagining. However, certain "improvements" have been added and The Center's "Children" also have super-powers that continue to grow and improve as they are treated like lab rats and told that emotion is an imperfection.

But to Dr. Hirch, the father of The Children, perfection hasn't been comp
Zymmee
This is my first book review. The book is worth the read. It is kind of like Divergent meets the 1996 movie extreme measures. The author has an amazing way of describing her imagination. You really love and hate the characters and you really feel what they are feeling. In times where characters are really suffering it is describes so vividly and accurately that it is so realistic to the reader. The bad guys are so easy to hate. There were times when I wanted to climb into the story just to help. ...more
Lynndell Watson
Thanks to Spencer Hill Press and NetGalley, I received an arc of Perfection by J.L. Spelbring. Perfection is a dystopian, with some science fiction intermingled, in an alternate history where Hitler won World War II. I love the concept and enjoyed the world building and character depth. I am looking forward to Flawed, the second book in this series!
Jen
Perfection by J.L. Spelbring fits into several categories: dystopian, alternate history, YA, science fiction.

Elyssa is genetically engineered to be an Aryan soldier. Her entire life has been subjected to training to enhance the genetic code with which she was born. She is stronger, faster, and smarter, much smarter, than the rest of the population. And she can read minds.

Emotions have been trained out of Elyssa and her siblings, who all have been part of an extensive breeding program (flawed ver
Reminiscent
Hey
this is JL Spelbrings daughter
im proud of my mom and was happy to be apart of it
id like to see people guess witch one of Ellyssa's siblings is my character!
Also as an added Bit of information the Character Ellyssa was named after my Daughter.
I hope you all find this book thrilling and look forward to the next in the series!
Gina (My Precious Blog)
Enamored by the Hitler/Nazi plot lines, hopeful and expectant for a sort of historical fiction/dystopian mix, I snuggled up and started to read this book. Boy, I couldn't have been farther off with this one. Disappointingly, this was more of a romance with some threads of dystopian and Hitler Nazi subplot lines. Ellyssa , the main character, is a genetically engineered prodigy of her Master, the man she calls "Der Vater" and is also referred to as Dr. Hirsh. He is a diabolical mad scientist who ...more
Zessi [The Book Rogue]
"Nazis won the war a century ago" -- I was so sold! The genetically engineered part is nothing new, neither is the super-soldier, but combine it all with the Aryan drive for genises... just thinking about it gave me shivers, and Perfection didn't disappoint.

We jump right into action, with Ellyssa fleeing The Center, where she was bred and born, hunted by a vengeful, psychotic police bitch who wants to kill her instead of bringing her back alive as ordered. Injured and just a breath away from dyi
Erin Arkin
This book started out slow for me but as the story developed and progressed, I found myself enjoying it more.

I enjoy the dystopian genre and the premise for this story was intriguing. Where I feel like it may have missed the mark was in providing background around what happened to make the doctor think the way he did and how the world ended up the way it did. Perhaps I missed it but I couldn't understand what might have happened that would have made society lean toward Hitler's ideals.

I though
Rebecca (The Library Canary)
This review is also on my blog, The Library Canary.

***I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This has in no way changed my opinion of the book. The review below is my open and honest opinion.***

I was browsing around Netgalley one day and spotted this book. As soon as I read the synopsis I knew I had to have it. Set in an alternate history where Hitler won the war, this one was sure to be interesting. I requested it and Spencer Hill approved me.
Dennis
I look forward to the day this book gets published. I will definitely buy it.
Heather Wood
Perfection was a book that I was happy I stuck with. The beginning started with a lot of action and it was a little jarring for me. I would’ve preferred a little more build-up so I could become fully invested with Elyssa’s plight. But once I got more background on the story, I enjoyed the story much more.

Perfection was told in third-person and it allowed for the reader to get a complete picture of the world Elyssa was born into. I thought the alternate history idea was intriguing (an Aryan race
Nina Higson-Sweeney
Oh dear....I really don't know what to say. I couldn't wait to read Perfection when I received it through the ARC share - I mean, imagine a world where Hitler had succeeded and won the war? It's an understatement to say I was excited. However, halfway through and I just knew it wouldn't get any better than disappointing. I think this is a classic example of a book with an amazing concept that just isn't delivered in a way that makes it interesting.

As I said above, the initial concept is that Hit
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
Perfection is a chilling picture of what life could be if selective genetics goes completely wrong. They are trying to make a perfect soldier, and as far as looks and strength and mind reading goes, they have it in Ellyssa. But they consider her emotions her weakness. She learns through her escape that those emotions can really be strength.
This is an alternate history I guess you would consider, because it is basically a dystopia where Hitler's ideals are realized and they are working to erad
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Perfection is one of those books that takes you by surprise. I have to say that I was totally blown away by this book. I loved the world as it was represented and the characters were solid. I have read a lot of books and none have come close to the uniqueness that this one brought. Imagine this a world of pure aryans where there are soldiers that are pure made to do what they are programmed to do with no questions asked just simply do.

Welcome to Ellyssa's world. Her father and creator has create
Tyler-rose (The Reading Pile)
You can read this on: www.thereadingpileblog.wordpress.com

Honestly, I don't know where to begin this review, and that's not because I thought it was super amazing. I thought it was good, but not great...

Maybe I just missed something, but I spent a lot of this novel confused - I didn't really know what was going on other than some guy wanted to finish what Hitler started? I think.. I don't know. Annoyingly, I wanted to love this so bad, and there are quite a few sections that I love so much! But
Paige Bradish
I received Perfection by J.L. Spelbring from Spencer Hill Press for review, and this is my honest review.

Perfection is about a girl named Ellyssa who is different. She is considered human but what people who meet her don’t know is that she has the ability to read anyones mind, and she also shows no emotion. Her mission is to get away from her father, and his evil plans. On her mission to get away Ellyssa comes across people who are called Renegades (people who are against Hitler, and his people
Redheaded Bookworm
It's been a while since I read a YA dystopian book, and I'm glad it was this one. J.L. Spelbring was able to create a magnificent world in this book. From the first page I was enamored with Ellysa. Created at The Center, she was the poster child for Hitler's vision. Blond hair, blue eyes with a little extra. Dr. Hirsch has managed to engineer children with superior characteristics. These children are to be models for future soldiers. Soldiers that were bred to eliminate anyone who isn't within t ...more
BookHookup
This book was originally reviewed on The Book Hookup.

**I received a copy of this book from the publisher,
but that did not influence the review**

First Thoughts: 4 stars Oooh, scary, evil, seriously messed up = just the way I love dystopians. It also had a touch of the supernatural too, so buckle up! The whole idea was scary good, but I felt like I was left wanting just a little bit more.

Plot, Setting, Pacing and Style: This is one messed up world. It’s as if the Nazis won the world war and the mi
Ellen
This dystopian novel takes place in the United States approximately a century after the Nazi's won the war. Ellyssa and her genetically engineered brothers and sister are Hitlers idea of perfection. Her father and her creator, Dr. George Hirch, Der Vater, has devoted his life's work to creating the perfect soldier formed in the image Hitler believed to superior - platinum hair, blue eyes, porcelain skin, having superior strength, intelligence, as well as "special abilities." She has lived inside ...more
Spencer Hill Press: Perfection by J.L Spelbring 1 13 Sep 23, 2012 10:28AM
  • Breaking Glass
  • Triangles (Bermuda Triangle, #1)
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • Blood Bound
  • Fireblood (Fireblood, #1)
  • Mortality (The Hitchhiker Strain, #1)
  • Finn Finnegan (The Adventures of Finn MacCullen, #1)
  • Unbreathable
  • Whisper Falls (Whisper Falls #1)
  • Hope's Daughter (The Ambrosia Sequence, #1)
  • Coda (Coda #1)
  • Reclaimed
  • Radicals (Blood and Fire #2)
  • Liberty
  • Extracted (The Lost Imperials, #1)
  • Awoken
J.L. Spelbring lives in Texas, where she wanders out in the middle of the night to look at the big and bright stars. Besides knocking imaginary bad guys in the head with a keyboard, she enjoys being swept away between the pages of a book, running amuck inside in her own head, pretending she is into running, and hanging out with her kids, who are way too cool for her.

Her novel, Perfection, will be
More about J.L. Spelbring...

Perfection (2 books)