Start by marking “The Seeing” as Want to Read:
The Seeing

The Seeing

"What gave me a sudden shiver was the notion that there were two of me. The little sister me, who was good and mostly kind; the girl Alice and Dottie knew. And then there was this other me, the one lurking inside me, eager for danger and risk, for something that could be as wild as the sea in winter. For Natalie."

Nothing ever seems to happen in the quiet, respectable seasi
Published July 5th 2012 by Bodley Head (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Seeing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seeing

Maya Panika
Jun 26, 2015 Maya Panika rated it really liked it
Was the horror of the concentration camps in the very air they breathed?... It's as if the memory of war has wounded them. Hurt their hearts, their minds. Their spirits.'
Short and far from sweet, 'The Seeing' is a sparse, terse tail of how the war has damaged the minds of three children, though two were only babies when it ended and one born years later. Set in a small seaside town in 1956: World War 2 has been over for eleven years but its legacy lingers in returning soldiers -fathers and broth
Anna Kļaviņa
This book is short one, but it doesn't feels so and in a very good way. The story is perfectly written nothing is missing and nothing unnecessary is added. In less than 200 pages Hendry tells a gripping, realistic and tragic story of friendship and siblings, ruined families and the losing of childhood innocence.

Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
This review was originally published at Fluttering Butterflies

Wow. The Seeing by Diana Hendry is a very disturbing book to read. It isn't a very long book, but it also isn't a quick book to zip through either. It's one of those books where that feeling of unease and a bit of dread kind of creeps up on you without you ever realising it. I love books like that, and I really enjoying reading The Seeing.

I'm not generally a fan of books set in historical time periods. The Seeing is a story about thre
Sigourney
Nov 08, 2012 Sigourney rated it it was ok
Shelves: carnegie-2013
I was so disappointed by this book. The blurb sounded fascinating, but the premise of Philip seeing left over Nazi's seemed quite pointless as I read the book. His 'gift' seems to be nothing more than a strange little boy having strange dreams and his incredibly damaged sister, Natalie, manipulating him, and then Lizzie, into believing that they are ridding the world of these evil people who have been left over from the war. The novel just doesn't seem to fit together right.

For most of the nove
Carly
Apr 22, 2012 Carly rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
It was like Long Lankin all over again, seriously. Those Random House girls really know how to build excitement about a book. Two RHCB blogger brunches ago I first heard about The Seeing. I knew I would love it from the moment I first heard about the story. I'm a massive fan of anything creepy and I love stories that can get inside my head and stay in my memory long after I've finished reading. After pretty much an entire year of waiting to finally get my hands on this book a review copy arrived ...more
Rebecca McNutt
This story about the friendship of two girls desperate for something away from their small town life, was definitely better than its reviews imply. I loved the way the scenery and characters were described, too.
Darsha
Jul 06, 2014 Darsha rated it it was amazing
Excellent book . Describes the moments perfectly and gives you a thrilling very emotional end . The war , friendship and betrayal leaves you with a broken heart. Beautiful story which leaves you with a little bit of truth about the world . Love this . 5 stars!
Amelia
Apr 24, 2016 Amelia marked it as cover-title-comm-but-not-interested
Look, it's Harry Potter!
TheBookAddictedGirl
Apr 27, 2012 TheBookAddictedGirl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People Looking For A Powerful, Hard-Hitting, Addictive Historical Read!
4 Out of 5
"Believe me. Believe Philip. Whoever he's Seen is a LON, a Left-Over Nazi. And we'll find him."
The war has been won, peace has been reached and all is calm in the small seaside town of Norton. People are overjoyed to be living in a time of peace and prosperity.
Well, everyone except Lizzie. Lizzie, who’s so bored she thinks she’s going mad.
Until she meets Natalie: dark, wild, dangerous Natalie. Lizzie is drawn to the out-of-control Natalie, and as they grow closer, Natalie reveals some
Joanne
Mar 14, 2012 Joanne rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

This book! Oh my god, this book is like nothing I have ever read before! So completely disturbing, yet once it gets going, completely unputdownable!

There are 176 pages in The Seeing, so I picked it up back in March thinking it will be a super quick read, and as I was so intrigued, I felt fine about reading it back then as it wouldn't take up much of my time. However, I did find it seriously slow at the beginning. It took me a week to read 44 pages. Serio
Serendipity Reviews
Apr 04, 2012 Serendipity Reviews rated it really liked it
Well this is a slightly disturbing story isn't it. One to make you think! One that may change the way you look at children who you believe to be innocent!
I had been desperate to read this book since I first heard about it last year at the RHCB blogger brunch. For a start, the cover really draws you in, you get the sense straight away that this book isn't set in modern times. The added sepia really dates the cover to the appropriate time.
This book is set a few years after the war and straight a
Lindsay
Aug 22, 2013 Lindsay rated it really liked it
‘Because how can evil just stop…?’

The novel opens with a prologue that introduces us to Lizzie; she is dreaming and is evidently distressed, and we know that something upsetting has happened. Then we are taken back to when she first met Natalie and her brother Philip. Well-behaved thirteen-year-old Lizzie is immediately drawn to the much wilder Natalie when she entered the classroom for the first time.

‘I looked at her and she reached to my heart. She went straight there, as if there was somethi
Reece
Jan 09, 2013 Reece rated it it was ok
Recommended to Reece by: Lancashire Book Of The Year
Lizzie is a thirteen year old girl in 1953 who finds growing up in the post war peace of the seaside English village of Norton boring. The tranquillity of peace is quickly changed when Natalie and her brother Phillip arrive in town. Attracted to Natalie's wild spirit, Lizzie befriends the newcomer and soon becomes caught up in Natalie's grand plan to eradicate evil.
Kirsty (overflowing library)
This was a short, chilling and atmospheric read which I enjoyed.

The thing I enjoyed most about this book was the historical backdrop it is set in. It's set in post war Britain which is a fascinating world to read about. The country is changing as people are demanding more after having to experience total war and the demands that experience put on the population whether they were part of the armed forces or not. For some living in this new world means finally having all those things they couldn't
John Naylor
Oct 03, 2016 John Naylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I end a book in tears it generally gets a high rating.

I perceive this novel to be about perception. The seeing is how people see things. The main characters are all damaged in some way and all lost something during World War 2. It deals with paranoia and (on a minor scale) propaganda. One of the characters shows an almost fascist like determination to manipulate other characters and get them to be against other characters.

It also deals with a victim of child abuse without going into detail
Helen Stower
Nov 18, 2012 Helen Stower rated it it was amazing
Lizzie is a thirteen year old girl in 1953 who finds growing up in the post war peace of the seaside English village of Norton boring. The mundanity of peace is quickly changed when Natalie & her brother Phillip arrive in town. Attracted to Natalie's wild spirit, Lizzie befriends the newcomer and soon becomes caught up in Natalie's grand plan to eradicate evil.

Natalie reveals that her younger brother has "second sight" and can see the swastikas on people's heart. The siblings believe the wor
Emma
Jul 01, 2013 Emma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
UGGGGHHHHH. I hate the lead characters. I hate the minor characters. I hated reading this book. I feel a bit bad for abandoning it just as it was starting to get 'interesting'. But I was more than half way through and I just didn't care, I didn't care if there were any LONs in their little village and I didn't care about the outcome of the spoilt brat or the troubled-yet-(apparently)-interesting youth. My main problem is I didn't believe it. I think in order to enjoy a book like this which is tr ...more
Sophie
May 01, 2016 Sophie rated it it was ok
The Seeing was not what I expected. I expected a story that was more about the mysteries of what young Philip was or wasn't seeing. Instead it is a story about friendship, childhood and the dangers of childish games that can get quickly out of hand. I didn't feel particularly attached to Lizzie; I wasn't invested in what did or didn't happen to her. Philip and Hugo were by far the most interesting of the characters in the novel but unfortunately, I felt that they were awarded the least amount of ...more
Fiona Hocking
All about how children are influenced and how careful we need to be to ensure that they know they are loved and special. I was convinced that Philip's seeing was a form of untreated epilipsy - and was disgusted that these poor children had seemingly slipped through the social welfare cracks. Children are the responsibility of all, we need to be mindful of what's happening around us. Hugo's relationship with Philip was heartwarming and a highlight of the story.

I'm not sure if I liked the book th
Adele Broadbent
Jul 09, 2014 Adele Broadbent rated it really liked it
A creepy, disturbing, thoroughly believable story set in a quiet seaside town. the main character Lizzie is bored and instantly drawn to brash, confident Natalie - the new girl in school.
But Natalie is different in other ways too. She confides to Lizzie that her brother 'sees' inside people and can see their hidden Swastika hearts.
Caught up in Natalie and her strange brother, Lizzie goes along with things until she realises the truth - too late.
A story about new friends, first crushes, control,
Georgia
Dec 11, 2013 Georgia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a difficult one. I did enjoy it, specifically in the last third or so, but it was slow going, for me anyway. the protagonist/s are 13, and although that's only two years younger than me, I think that might have a role to play in how tricky I found it to get into. Also, without giving too much away, the ending was a bit rushed, and seemed sort of... out of place for want of a better term. However, it was quite short, and there certainly were aspects I enjoyed and that I think others ...more
Kay Ogundimu
I just finished reading it and wow!
It was one of those very rare moments when you pick up a because the cover grabs your attention. The you read the synopsis. And finally the storey takes hold of you to the point where you don't want to put it down.

Not usually my kind of Nobel but I truly recommend this book to all readers.

Beautifully written and captures the true thoughts and essence of youth and friendship.
Bev
Dec 07, 2015 Bev rated it really liked it
An incredibly disturbing book. It reminded me a bit of The Chocolate War in the way that something that seemed mostly harmless to start with ended up being taken way too far. There were times I wanted to shake Lizzie, but all in all it was a good read. Short but intense.
Zoe
Apr 11, 2016 Zoe rated it did not like it
So depressing! Seriously though. If you like crying your eyes out over things that shouldn't have happened anyway - read this.
I'm going to re-read to see if my views have changed since 3 years ago, but I'll probably regret it.....
Ellie
May 28, 2013 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A short, but unsettling book and one that packed a punch. Throughout you are aware that the plot is building towards a dramatic event, and when it did happen it was not what I was expecting. A book that will stay with me for a long time.
Katy Noyes
Dec 09, 2012 Katy Noyes rated it really liked it
I couldn't feel angry at Natalie or that it was her fault. What a terrible start to her life (and her brother's). But should Lizzie have been able to 'see' what was wrong and do something? Will ponder for a while on that.
Very well written, liked seeing the various characters' views of each other.
Heather
Mar 01, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
The Seeing was a powerful, dark, and a little bit disturbing novel. I was sucked in after the first few pages! I don't really have anything bad to say about it. It was just so good and I was unable to put it down! I highly recommend it if you are looking for a dark and semi-quick read!
Debra
Oct 07, 2013 Debra rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-copy-read
For a more detailed review, please check out my review below:

Debra's Book Cafe

• India Dark
  • Mister Creecher
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • Kill All Enemies
  • How to Keep a Boy as a Pet (Circe Shaw, #1)
  • This is Not Forgiveness
  • Fifteen Days Without a Head
  • Black Heart Blue
  • Angel Dust
  • Chocolate SOS (Jess Jordan, #5)
  • Stones for My Father
  • Locked (Locked, #1)
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • Anthem for Jackson Dawes
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • Fever (Parallon Trilogy, #1)
  • Poltergeeks (Poltergeeks, #1)
Diana Hendry grew up by the sea and has worked as a journalist, English teacher and tutor in Creative Writing at the University of Bristol. Her poetry has won a number of awards including first prize in the 1996 Housman Society Competition. From 1997-1998 she was Writer in Residence at Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary. She lives in Edinburgh.

She has published more than thirty books for chil
More about Diana Hendry...