Start by marking “The Seeing” as Want to Read:
The Seeing

The Seeing

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  23 reviews
"What gave me a sudden shiver was the notion that there were two of me. The little sister me, who was good and mostly kind; the girl Alice and Dottie knew. And then there was this other me, the one lurking inside me, eager for danger and risk, for something that could be as wild as the sea in winter. For Natalie."

Nothing ever seems to happen in the quiet, respectable seasi...more
Published July 5th 2012 by Bodley Head (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Seeing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seeing

Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
This review was originally published at Fluttering Butterflies

Wow. The Seeing by Diana Hendry is a very disturbing book to read. It isn't a very long book, but it also isn't a quick book to zip through either. It's one of those books where that feeling of unease and a bit of dread kind of creeps up on you without you ever realising it. I love books like that, and I really enjoying reading The Seeing.

I'm not generally a fan of books set in historical time periods. The Seeing is a story about thre...more
Anna  Matsuyama
This book is short one, but it doesn't feels so and in a very good way. The story is perfectly written nothing is missing and nothing unnecessary is added. In less than 200 pages Hendry tells a gripping, realistic and tragic story of friendship and siblings, ruined families and the losing of childhood innocence.

Carly
It was like Long Lankin all over again, seriously. Those Random House girls really know how to build excitement about a book. Two RHCB blogger brunches ago I first heard about The Seeing. I knew I would love it from the moment I first heard about the story. I'm a massive fan of anything creepy and I love stories that can get inside my head and stay in my memory long after I've finished reading. After pretty much an entire year of waiting to finally get my hands on this book a review copy arrived...more
Darsha Gunawardena
Excellent book . Describes the moments perfectly and gives you a thrilling very emotional end . The war , friendship and betrayal leaves you with a broken heart. Beautiful story which leaves you with a little bit of truth about the world . Love this . 5 stars!
Adele Broadbent
A creepy, disturbing, thoroughly believable story set in a quiet seaside town. the main character Lizzie is bored and instantly drawn to brash, confident Natalie - the new girl in school.
But Natalie is different in other ways too. She confides to Lizzie that her brother 'sees' inside people and can see their hidden Swastika hearts.
Caught up in Natalie and her strange brother, Lizzie goes along with things until she realises the truth - too late.
A story about new friends, first crushes, control,...more
Serendipity Reviews
Well this is a slightly disturbing story isn't it. One to make you think! One that may change the way you look at children who you believe to be innocent!
I had been desperate to read this book since I first heard about it last year at the RHCB blogger brunch. For a start, the cover really draws you in, you get the sense straight away that this book isn't set in modern times. The added sepia really dates the cover to the appropriate time.
This book is set a few years after the war and straight a...more
Lindsay (Little Reader Library)
‘Because how can evil just stop…?’

The novel opens with a prologue that introduces us to Lizzie; she is dreaming and is evidently distressed, and we know that something upsetting has happened. Then we are taken back to when she first met Natalie and her brother Philip. Well-behaved thirteen-year-old Lizzie is immediately drawn to the much wilder Natalie when she entered the classroom for the first time.

‘I looked at her and she reached to my heart. She went straight there, as if there was somethi...more
Kirsty (overflowing library)
This was a short, chilling and atmospheric read which I enjoyed.

The thing I enjoyed most about this book was the historical backdrop it is set in. It's set in post war Britain which is a fascinating world to read about. The country is changing as people are demanding more after having to experience total war and the demands that experience put on the population whether they were part of the armed forces or not. For some living in this new world means finally having all those things they couldn't...more
Sigourney
I was so disappointed by this book. The blurb sounded fascinating, but the premise of Philip seeing left over Nazi's seemed quite pointless as I read the book. His 'gift' seems to be nothing more than a strange little boy having strange dreams and his incredibly damaged sister, Natalie, manipulating him, and then Lizzie, into believing that they are ridding the world of these evil people who have been left over from the war. The novel just doesn't seem to fit together right.

For most of the nove...more
Joanne
Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

This book! Oh my god, this book is like nothing I have ever read before! So completely disturbing, yet once it gets going, completely unputdownable!

There are 176 pages in The Seeing, so I picked it up back in March thinking it will be a super quick read, and as I was so intrigued, I felt fine about reading it back then as it wouldn't take up much of my time. However, I did find it seriously slow at the beginning. It took me a week to read 44 pages. Serio...more
Reece
Jan 09, 2013 Reece rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Reece by: Lancashire Book Of The Year
Lizzie is a thirteen year old girl in 1953 who finds growing up in the post war peace of the seaside English village of Norton boring. The tranquillity of peace is quickly changed when Natalie and her brother Phillip arrive in town. Attracted to Natalie's wild spirit, Lizzie befriends the newcomer and soon becomes caught up in Natalie's grand plan to eradicate evil.
TheBookAddictedGirl
4¾ Out of 5
"Believe me. Believe Philip. Whoever he's Seen is a LON, a Left-Over Nazi. And we'll find him."
The war has been won, peace has been reached and all is calm in the small seaside town of Norton. People are overjoyed to be living in a time of peace and prosperity.
Well, everyone except Lizzie. Lizzie, who’s so bored she thinks she’s going mad.
Until she meets Natalie: dark, wild, dangerous Natalie. Lizzie is drawn to the out-of-control Natalie, and as they grow closer, Natalie reveals som...more
Helen Stower
Lizzie is a thirteen year old girl in 1953 who finds growing up in the post war peace of the seaside English village of Norton boring. The mundanity of peace is quickly changed when Natalie & her brother Phillip arrive in town. Attracted to Natalie's wild spirit, Lizzie befriends the newcomer and soon becomes caught up in Natalie's grand plan to eradicate evil.

Natalie reveals that her younger brother has "second sight" and can see the swastikas on people's heart. The siblings believe the wor...more
Emma
UGGGGHHHHH. I hate the lead characters. I hate the minor characters. I hated reading this book. I feel a bit bad for abandoning it just as it was starting to get 'interesting'. But I was more than half way through and I just didn't care, I didn't care if there were any LONs in their little village and I didn't care about the outcome of the spoilt brat or the troubled-yet-(apparently)-interesting youth. My main problem is I didn't believe it. I think in order to enjoy a book like this which is tr...more
Fiona Hocking
All about how children are influenced and how careful we need to be to ensure that they know they are loved and special. I was convinced that Philip's seeing was a form of untreated epilipsy - and was disgusted that these poor children had seemingly slipped through the social welfare cracks. Children are the responsibility of all, we need to be mindful of what's happening around us. Hugo's relationship with Philip was heartwarming and a highlight of the story.

I'm not sure if I liked the book th...more
Georgia
This book was a difficult one. I did enjoy it, specifically in the last third or so, but it was slow going, for me anyway. the protagonist/s are 13, and although that's only two years younger than me, I think that might have a role to play in how tricky I found it to get into. Also, without giving too much away, the ending was a bit rushed, and seemed sort of... out of place for want of a better term. However, it was quite short, and there certainly were aspects I enjoyed and that I think others...more
Kay Ogundimu
I just finished reading it and wow!
It was one of those very rare moments when you pick up a because the cover grabs your attention. The you read the synopsis. And finally the storey takes hold of you to the point where you don't want to put it down.

Not usually my kind of Nobel but I truly recommend this book to all readers.

Beautifully written and captures the true thoughts and essence of youth and friendship.
Katy Noyes
I couldn't feel angry at Natalie or that it was her fault. What a terrible start to her life (and her brother's). But should Lizzie have been able to 'see' what was wrong and do something? Will ponder for a while on that.
Very well written, liked seeing the various characters' views of each other.
Heather
The Seeing was a powerful, dark, and a little bit disturbing novel. I was sucked in after the first few pages! I don't really have anything bad to say about it. It was just so good and I was unable to put it down! I highly recommend it if you are looking for a dark and semi-quick read!
Ellie
A short, but unsettling book and one that packed a punch. Throughout you are aware that the plot is building towards a dramatic event, and when it did happen it was not what I was expecting. A book that will stay with me for a long time.
Debra
For a more detailed review, please check out my review below:

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Tanja
Apr 22, 2012 Tanja marked it as to-read
Even though the cover makes me think of Harry Potter...
Flora
Read for Scottish Children's Book Awards 2013
Kira Mckee
Kira Mckee marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Elizabeth Beverley
Elizabeth Beverley marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Diana Hendry grew up by the sea and has worked as a journalist, English teacher and tutor in Creative Writing at the University of Bristol. Her poetry has won a number of awards including first prize in the 1996 Housman Society Competition. From 1997-1998 she was Writer in Residence at Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary. She lives in Edinburgh.

She has published more than thirty books for chil...more
More about Diana Hendry...
The Very Noisy Night Harvey Ángel The Very Snowy Christmas Oodles of Noodles The Very Busy Day