Start by marking “Desert Drop (Las Vegas Mystery)” as Want to Read:
Desert Drop (Las Vegas Mystery)

Desert Drop (Las Vegas Mystery)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Private investigator and former homicide detective Alice James was just six months old when her father, Leon Stapper, abandoned his family. Forty years later, Alice has convinced herself she’s over it—until her half sister, Corina, calls her up and wants to meet. But before Alice and Corina can get acquainted, everything goes terribly, tragically wrong. Determined to uncov ...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Desert Drop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desert Drop

Kai
Apr 27, 2012 Kai rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Desert Drop is a pretty good story. However, there are flaws to the story when the specific details are put into it. From a Private Investigator's perspective, anything goes but since these private investigators are former, seasoned cops, they don't act like cops especially if they have been on the force for several years. Some experiences are just ingrained into their personalities. They should have that edginess.

Desert Drop started off with P.I. Alice James. She was to meet her half-sister Co
Susan
May 30, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to win a copy of Desert Drop through Goodreads, and I am so glad that I did because I couldn't put it down. Desert Drop is the first book that I have read by Kusler so I wasn't sure what to expect. When the book began, it seemed like everything was cut and dry and that Alice and Snow would have this case solved in record time. Then things took a deadly turn and the twists and turns really began. Kusler does a great job at building a good mystery and leading the reader on a won ...more
Randy
Mar 22, 2012 Randy rated it it was amazing
The James and James Agency: Alice James, ex-Vegas Homicide, and James Snow, even longer ex-Vegas Homicide, are the two PIs.

Alice gets a phone call from Corina, the sister she'd never known, wanting to meet. Forty years before, the six month old Alice and her mother were abandoned by the father. He'd married, and divorced, three times since then. Alice was happy to meet Corina.

Along the way, she disappeared.

Then the phone call demanding $150,000 in hundred dollar bills or she would be killed. The
Yz
Jun 09, 2012 Yz rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Objectively speaking, this is a mediocre book. Cliché beyond belief, its attempts at originality are feeble- the main character is African American, Vegas is brought up several hundred times, the final shootout takes place in a Port-a-potty… The worst part (as with many mysteries) is that the murderer is quite obvious for the reader, yet the “detectives” must chase a dozen leads and risk their lives to finally bring the convict to justice. Nothing is worse than slogging through a detective story ...more
Travelling Sunny
May 18, 2012 Travelling Sunny rated it liked it
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you, Rex, for autographing the book - that was a lovely touch!

I feel a little uncomfortable reviewing this book, simply because I'm NOT a writer, and I don't feel qualified to critique another person's work. But, Rex Kusler, clearly has talent - no question about it! So, I want to give credit where credit is due and give constructive feedback where it might help out.

The GOOD Stuff:
+ I was hooked in Chapter one. The build-up of ex
David Caldwell
Aug 05, 2012 David Caldwell rated it really liked it
I won a copy on Goodreads Firstreads.

This book is like a roller coaster ride.It starts with a big thrill like that first big drop.There are lots of twists and turns to keep the excitement going.The book flows smoothly from one point to the next just like it it was following a track.It is a lot of fun to read.

This is the third book in the series but I could not tell from reading the book.It has no problems standing alone.The reader will not feel like they are missing anything if they are not fami
Jack
Jul 04, 2012 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This third book in the Las Vegas Mystery series, Desert Drop by Rex Kusler picks up right after the second book, Ashes to Dust. Alice James' half-sister Corina is coming to visit for the first time ever (Corina never knew she had a sister until the week before). En route to Las Vegas, she is kidnapped and held for ransom, but only $150,000 so it's not worth contacting the police. The dad is rich, so this amount of money is practically pocket change.

And things go down from there.

Mr. Kusler has go
Corina
Jun 20, 2012 Corina rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyable. Punctured was the first of Rex Kusler's books that I read. I enjoyed it enough to want to read more by him. Yesterday, I picked up Ashes To Dust and enjoyed it thorougly. Today I picked up Desert Drop and finished it in less than a day. It was quite satisfying and I am looking forward to another installment in the series.

There is a definite plot. The two main characters are trying to solve the abduction and murder of Alice James' (one of the main characters, a PI) half sister.
comfort
This story about the detective duo James and James is heart breaking.

Alice James' has never known her father (though she does know who he is). After they have been in contact she discovers she has a half sister and this sister, Corina, can't wait to meet her. She says she will drive to L.V. so they can have a family "reunion" Alice thinks it a little strange that Corina should choose to drive rather than fly, but soon dismisses this as why shouldn't she make a road-trip of the meeting.

Corina nev
Geri
Mar 13, 2013 Geri rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite, won, recommend
I got this book free through Goodreads First Reads.

When I started this book I thought the writing was weird in the fact that the people are always...ALWAYS...called by their first and last names. After I got over the quirkiness of that I really enjoyed this book. Turned out to be a very interesting who-done-it with some good plot twists. Though I didn't read books 1&2 before hand it was pretty easy to get into the story. I definitely want to read the first 2 books. They sound just as good as
Jennifer Zuna
May 03, 2012 Jennifer Zuna rated it it was amazing
I visited Vegas several years ago and fell in love. This book grabbed my attention and kept it. Great characters with real depth crawled into my heart and made a home. I love mysteries too so this book had two things in its favor before I even cracked the cover. A fast paced plot and enough action without gory violence to detract from the story made this a very enjoyable read. This is part of Rex Kusler's Las Vegas Mystery series and I would like to read more of these characters for sure.
Mallori
Jun 18, 2014 Mallori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-books
Entertaining enough to keep me from putting it down. A little predictable, but not so much that you can guess what will happen.

I had my reservations about the lawyer from the beginning, but never suspected Leon.

It is unfortunate for Alice that she didn't get to meet Corina, but now she and Jim can focus on more important things, like their budding romance and P.I. agency.

Pretty easy to read, and I really do enjoy reading their process for solving crimes!
Ryan Rauber
Aug 27, 2012 Ryan Rauber rated it liked it
Third book in this series, probably my least favorite but still a fun detective/mystery. This one involves a kidnapping in Las Vegas. I liked the methodology they used to track down the kidnappers, but the ending seemed a little rushed and convenient at times. Still a fun read.
Aleea J. Brewer
Dec 20, 2014 Aleea J. Brewer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really improving, #3 surprised me

I loved the twist, wasn't expecting it, was a real surprise. So good I am going to start #4 in a few minutes. Just keeps getting better.
Cheryl
Dec 28, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Didn't enjoy quite as much as first two books in series - PUNCTURED and ASHES TO DUST- but still worth reading. Strong characterization; funny moments.
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Shirley E. Towner
Shirley E. Towner rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Holly Matheson
Holly Matheson marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
amfsp
amfsp added it
Jan 17, 2016
Jesse Whetstone
Jesse Whetstone rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Barbara M
Barbara M rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Shirley Kissel
Shirley Kissel rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Carolyn C Simoneaux
Carolyn C Simoneaux is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2015
Lenora
Lenora marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • In the Shadow of the Glacier (Constable Molly Smith #1)
  • Death in a Wine Dark Sea
  • Sealab: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Ocean Floor
  • Prepare
  • Dandy Gilver and an Unsuitable Day for a Murder (Dandy Gilver, #6)
  • Death Makes the Cut (Jocelyn Shore #2)
  • Deadly Defiance (Stan Turner, #10)
  • Sweet Dreams
  • Deadly Farce
  • Clean Break: A Novel
  • Murder Takes Time
  • The Rock Star in Seat 3A
  • Rock 'n' Roll Billboards of the Sunset Strip
  • The Teahouse by the Tracks
  • Lock the Cellar Door (Gen Delacourt Mystery #6)
  • Deacon Leeds and the Pyramid of Symbols
  • A Fine Woman
  • The Accidental Senator, Vol 1 in the Accidental President , A Political Fable for Our Time
Rex Kusler was born in Missouri and raised in a small town in Iowa. He spent his most formative years reading Mad Magazine and playing tiddlywinks. His writing began with a newsletter for a beer club he founded in San Jose in 1982. Soon afterward he tried his hand at short stories. After success selling some of them to a few regional magazines he began writing novels. Seven years, four novels, thr ...more
More about Rex Kusler...