Start by marking “The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse” as Want to Read:
The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse

The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,693 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In this groundbreaking companion to The Courage to Heal, Laura Davis offers an inspiring, in-depth workbook that speaks to all women and men healing from the effects of child sexual abuse. The combination of checklists, writing and art Projects, open-ended questions and activities expertly guides the survivor through the healing process.

Survival Skills—Teaches survivors to
Published February 28th 1990 by William Morrow Paperbacks

Clare
Mar 07, 2015 Clare rated it really liked it
Tremendously useful in my practice as a psychotherapist, recommend this classic book to my colleagues for their survivors.
Susan
Sep 04, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
This workbook with exercises of writing, creating art, checklists and open ended questions assists survivors in the healing process. This complimentary book to The Courage to Heal helps the survivor acknowledge that it happened through simplistic way of expressing anger, loss, grief and pain of the traumatic experience they endured as a child. Not only is this book for women it could apply to men as well. It is great to have both books to refer to assist you in the healing process. Highly recomm ...more
Fallon
This was suggested to me by a friend. I survived severe physical emotional and verbal abuse as a kid. This book is a great resource for anyone who's survived any kind of childhood trauma. The questions are hard, but healing too. It's set up so that you can work on it however you are comfortable. I prefer using it alone with my journsl and God. But I will talk about it with my therapist if needed. To each their own when it comes to these things.
Elona Washington
Jul 12, 2015 Elona Washington rated it it was amazing
This book started me on my path to peace. I recommend it for everyone who's living as a victim of child sexual abuse.
Namid
Oct 28, 2008 Namid rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal workbook! I HIGHLY recommend this workbook to any & all survivors of sexual abuse/sexual assault!
Terri
Aug 29, 2010 Terri rated it it was amazing
It's like having a councilor asking all the right questions to get your mind on it's way to recovery.
Marian
Sep 07, 2012 Marian rated it it was amazing
Excellent addition to The Courage to Heal.
Carling13
Oct 18, 2011 Carling13 rated it it was amazing
This is brilliant book that all American women should read, even if they aren't convinced that they aren't victims of incest or satanic ritual abuse (as a therapist I would be very dubious if I encountered a woman who was convinced she hadn't been abused/ritually abused as a child).

The real strength of The Workbook is to establish a proper sexual relationship for women that avoids any possibility of abuse. The section is 'APPENDIX: GUIDELINES FOR HEALING SEXUALLY' and if you have a man (boyfrien
Shira
Oct 31, 2015 Shira rated it liked it
Shelves: ptsd
When I worked through this book in 1997 or 1998 it was difficult going, but I thought that my ability to manage the PTSD symptoms was evidence that my work was done.

Not so.

Now that we have documentation of the various stages of survivor work (thanks to Herman's Trauma and Recovery which I only just found recently), I must admit the correctness of the one or two therapists who argued that working until you drop is effectively avoiding the work of recovery. So I cannot say whether I actually worke
Hillarie Speziale
Jan 03, 2016 Hillarie Speziale rated it really liked it
Exceptional book, highly recommended
Debra Karper
Dec 22, 2015 Debra Karper marked it as to-read
Not interested in reading this one
Tammy
Jul 31, 2011 Tammy rated it it was ok
I was not as impressed by the workbook. It was suggested that the workbook is supposed to work like a companion guide to the book but I could never get them to fit together. I recommend just getting the book and leave the workbook on the shelf.
Mary
Apr 21, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
Lots of hard work. Kicks my ass every time I return to work on an issue. Has helped keep me present on here and now focused. Frighting endeavor the first time but well worth summoning the courage to open the cover.
Ocean Poet
Mar 20, 2011 Ocean Poet marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: Those who have suffered from abuse and is ready to move forward with skills that this book offers
Recommended to Ocean by: A doctor
I had to stop reading this book, at this point in my life I am not ready to open this door.
I will read again in the future.
Susan
Jul 22, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
This book is not so much 'read' as 'worked through'. I have been working through it and find the exercises very useful.
Angie crosby
Aug 10, 2008 Angie crosby rated it really liked it
workbook that goes along with the Courage to heal book. Worth getting
Renee Winkles
Helpful and effective.
The Rise
Jul 11, 2012 The Rise rated it really liked it
For Women and MEN!
Kathy Castle
Kathy Castle rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Carolynn
Carolynn rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Jerry
Jerry rated it it was amazing
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Yaelsy Garcia
Yaelsy Garcia marked it as to-read
auntshoe
auntshoe marked it as to-read
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Read4soul
Read4soul rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Kathie
Kathie rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
  • The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • The Wounded Heart: Hope for Adult Victims of Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • Secret Survivors
  • The Survivor's Guide to Sex: How to Create Your Own Empowered Sexuality After Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • Rebuilding Shattered Lives: Treating Complex PTSD and Dissociative Disorders
  • Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder
  • The Sexual Healing Journey: A Guide for Survivors of Sexual Abuse
  • The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms
  • The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook
  • A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps: The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery
  • Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook
  • Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified: An Essential Guide for Understanding and Living with BPD
  • Outgrowing the Pain: A Book for and About Adults Abused As Children
  • Live Through This: On Creativity and Self-Destruction
  • The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize It and How to Respond
  • Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
  • The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Laura Davis is the author of seven non-fiction books, including The Courage to Heal, Becoming the Parent You Want to Be and I Thought We’d Never Speak Again. Laura’s groundbreaking books have sold more than 1.8 million copies around the world. Laura leads weekly writing groups and memoir writing retreats in the Santa Cruz, CA region, as well as an annual summer writing retreat in Bolinas, Californ ...more
More about Laura Davis...