Crumbs: A Lesbian Hansel and Gretel (Sappho's Fables: Lesbian Fairy Tales)

Crumbs: A Lesbian Hansel and Gretel (Sappho's Fables: Lesbian Fairy Tales)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Greta's never ventured beyond the refuge of the Heap. Outside, the Ragers lurk, ever hungry and hunting. But Greta and her brother, half-starved and now alone, must risk death for the dream of safety they hope to find within the metal forest. Once there, nothing is as it seems: in the confines of a crumbling old candy factory, the woman who rescues them with sweet words an...more
Published (first published March 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Crumbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crumbs

Crumbs by Elora BishopSappho's Fables, Volume 1 by Elora BishopSeven by Jennifer DiemerAsh by Malinda LoThe Benevolence Tales by Elora Bishop
Lesbian Fairy Tales
1st out of 29 books — 13 voters
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasDays of Blood & Starlight by Laini TaylorIncarnate by Jodi MeadowsBoundless by Cynthia Hand
The Most Beautiful Covers
60th out of 141 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki
Crumbs is a fascinating rewrite of the well known Hansel and Gretel story. Elora Bishop brings a twist to the story, setting it in a post apocalyptic world, with a disease turning people into -- basically -- zombies. It's very short, and the main story is quite small, but the set-up is good enough to carry a bigger story. Mind you, I'm glad that this sticks to being about a girl and her brother finding safety, and about the girl falling in live -- there's plenty of zombie novels out there and no...more
Lindley Walter-smith
Haunting and creepy and oh-so-good. Hansel and Gretel, with its horrors of starvation and abandonment and betrayal, transfers brilliantly to a post-apocalyptic setting. Best of all, though, is the tenderness that shines through it. Greta is a really appealing heroine, with her fears and "fragility" warring with her courage and impulses to love and hope. Beautifully written and leaving me hungry for more!
Madeline Franklin
Beautiful, brilliant, inventive re-telling of "Hansel & Gretel." Highly, highly recommended for anyone who enjoys strong, beautiful voices and clever storytelling.
Robert Beveridge
Oct 02, 2013 Robert Beveridge rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Urban fantasy/paranormal romance fans
Elora Bishop, Crumbs (Elora Bishop, 2012)

A short from a series called Sappho's Fables, and if the rest of them are anything like this one I'll be digging in sooner rather than later. Cumbs is a retold version of Hansel and Gretel that takes place in a world that seems about midway between 28 Days Later... and Jonathan Maberry's Benny Imura books. Greta and her brother (want to take a stab at his name?) live with their parents in the Heap, a post-apocalyptic collective that has taken root in a de...more
Nicole
Take a futuristic version of Hansel and Gretel, cross it with the Hunger Games, the Walking Dead, and cast “Jenny Schecter” from the L-Word as Gretel (well, Jenny in the first season, before she went all crazy) and you can imagine the scene laid out in Crumbs. Basically the (short) story starts out with a starving family seeking a way out of their situation. After an impulsive decision by moms and pops to leave and find help, the brother and sister, named Hans and Gretel, are alone. This is a...more
Samantha Boyette
I got no complaints on this one. From start to finish this new telling of Hansel and Gretta sucked me in and kept me page turning long after I should have set it down for the night. It's such a simple, great concept that I'm smacking my head that I didn't think to write something so awesome.

Greta starts out as a fairly whiny and helpless character who grows a backbone in a very short time when she is forced to leave her home and face the ragers that threaten the world around them. When she and...more
Julie
FTR, this is a short story, not a book. Not particularly well-written, no memorable characters, and a plot that is thin and forced. I liked the twist ending even though it felt rushed.
Kay H.
I was really excited to stumble across this post-apocalyptic lesbian telling of Hansel and Gretel. While I really enjoyed the world in which the story is set, the main character is very, very young and so the romance aspect of the story left me feeling a bit creepy.

I was also disappointed by the ending. (view spoiler)
Cab
I think of the three recent fairytales I have read in the few days this one on my favorite. It took me a little while to equate the “Ragers” with Zombies but that’s exactly what they are and if Hanzel and Gretel want to live another day they need to get somewhere safe.

The question is…. When they make it to the candy factory, have they really found their safe haven or have they landed into a different type of trouble.

If you need something short and interesting to read, I would recommend this sto...more
Sophia Martin
I enjoyed this novella. I'm not a fan of zombie fiction, so if it lost a star it may be more due to my tastes than the quality. The writing was good, and by that I mean I didn't feel the urge to break out my red pen, which is unusual. The situation was tense, in a good way, and kept me engaged. The romance was a little too sweet for my tastes, but it worked in the end, especially in the scene with the oven. Overall, a fun read.
Jean Doolittle
I'm always interested in variations on folk and fairy tales and I figured this would have a different twist. It was a short novel and it had a promising if nebulous beginning in some post-apocalyptic time. The love story seemed forced and irrelevant to the rest of the story, however. The price was right though--
I found this book for free for my Kindle at http://www.freebooksifter.com/?c=16&a...
Christine
Mar 17, 2012 Christine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elora Bishop and Sarah Diemer fans (and anyone else)
Shelves: 2012-read-in
A dystopian Hansel and Gretel from one of my favourite authors? Yes, please!

The momentum and suspicion that Elora Bishop builds into her tale, keeping us as innocent and "uneducated" as Greta, pushes you down the hill through the story toward the end. Chased all the way by a horde of Ragers.

Stark, uncertain but hopeful, this further cements my love for this author's work.
Sara
Crumbs was a beautiful, twisted, enchanting retelling of Hansel and Gretel. Elora Bishop blends together a fairy tale with a post-apocalyptic zombie world and makes magic. If you enjoy stories filled with sweets or thrive on fear, you will love this story. My only complaint was that it should have been longer!
Sandy
This is retelling of the Brothers Grimm fairytale Hansel and Gretel, only with lesbians and zombies. It's more of an extended short story, which is probably why I'm not feeling 5-star about it. What was there was good, it just didn't feel like enough. Good story for teens.
Amanda
Like all of Elora's amazing story telling, this one blew me away. The combination of post-apocalyptic, near-zombie, twists with sparkles, sugar, love and flourish. Yes, I adored it.
Jackie
I couldn't finish this. I found the main female character quite annoying. For being an adult, nineteen years of age I believe, she acted like such a child.

Meagan
Totally not what I was expecting. That's not a bad thing...just not what I was expecting.
Alyssa
what a wonderful story! zombies, hansel and gretal, and budding sapphic love all in one!
B. Hale
Loved the new take on this classic! Sabine had me worried lol
Susan

Interesting post-apocalyptic Hansel and Gretal!
Kim
Any story is made better with love.
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Stephanie Bueckert
Stephanie Bueckert marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Kandace Dick
Kandace Dick marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Heelqueen
Heelqueen marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Melissa Noël
Melissa Noël marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
  • Seven: A Lesbian Snow White
  • Love Devours:  Tales of Monstrous Adoration
  • Roses and Thorns: Beauty and the Beast Retold
  • Sleeping Beauty, Indeed & Other Lesbian Fairytales
  • Pitifully Ugly
  • Lois Lenz, Lesbian Secretary (Career-Girl, #1)
  • The Exile And the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)
  • Imagining Reality
  • Lady Knight
  • Keepers of the Cave
  • Ascension (Tangled Axon)
  • The Legend of Bold Riley
  • Silver Moon
  • Backwards to Oregon
  • The End
  • The Night Off
  • Indigo Moon (Garoul, #3)
Elora Bishop is a queer author of magical lesbian love stories. You will often find her wearing soft skirts, curled up in a sunny window (much like a cat), Austen in hand, cup of tea (two cream, one sugar) nearby, always piping hot. She is bewitched by all beautiful things–but, most of all, by her beloved wife. She writes lesbian YA as Sarah Diemer.
More about Elora Bishop...
Sappho's Fables, Volume 1: Three Lesbian Fairy Tale Novellas One Solstice Night Braided: A Lesbian Rapunzel (Sappho's Fables: Lesbian Fairy Tales) Cage the Darlings One Imbolc Gloaming