Start by marking “House of Skin” as Want to Read:
House of Skin

House of Skin

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  38 reviews
All it needs to live again is fresh blood!

Myles Carver is dead. But his estate, Watermere, lives on, waiting for a new Carver to move in. Myles’s wife, Annabel, is dead too, but she is also waiting, lying in her grave in the woods. For nearly half a century she was responsible for a nightmarish reign of terror, and she’s not prepared to stop now. She is hungry to live agai
Published June 5th 2012 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about House of Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Skin

TJ
"House of Skin" is an outstanding supernatural tale that's filled with murder, obsession, possession, sex, chilling plot twists, and outstanding writing. Author Jonathan Janz has set the bar high for his next work because this novel is so hard to put down.

The plot revolves around the cursed Carver family and their estate, Watermere. When Paul Carver inherits the estate from his not-so-dear departed uncle, Miles Carver, he leaves his life and girlfriend behind in Memphis and moves to Indiana. As
Angel Gelique
A man inherits a house--not your average home, but rather, an estate--complete with its own name. Upon moving in, he begins to discover some disturbing facts about his deceased relatives. It doesn't take long for the past to catch up to the present as supernatural forces threaten to destroy the man and everything he holds dear.

I thought this book was very well written and had an interesting storyline. The author's brilliant use of figurative and descriptive language throughout the story made it
Dee
Another fantastic book by Jonathan Janz!
This story captivates you from the beginning and doesn't let up. I had no idea where it was going and that is a good thing, predictably is not something you want in any book.
This was well written and Jonathan's frame story technique made it all the more intriguing.
You get it all with this book and it's definitely not for the faint at heart. Great characters (some likeable...some not so) and scenes. You will be shocked, horrified, grossed out and of course
Chris
Jonathan Janz, author of such notable horror novels The Sorrows, Savage Species, Dust Devils, and the newly released Castle of Sorrows, has crafted a chilling story of madness, murder, and undying supernatural hunger. Paul Carver, wannabe writer, inherits his infamous relative's fortune and Victorian estate in rural Indiana. He moves there, thinking a fresh start will help him realize his dreams of becoming a horror novelist. But little does he know that truth is stranger than fiction, and after ...more
Gef
After placing Jonathan's debut novel, The Sorrows, on my Fave Five of 2012 list, I was eager to see how his next effort, published in the second half of last year, would pan out. House of Skin is a title alluded to in The Sorrows, as the protagonist works on the score of a film project by that name, but I will say right now that the book threw me, because the horror went in a much different direction than I expected--and that's probably a good thing, too.

After his estranged uncle dies, Paul Carv
Jade McDonough
Alright, so every review of this book so far has given it lots of big shiny stars. I just can't though. This book is perhaps the single most unoriginal horror novel I have ever read (and that is saying A LOT). It's actually unfortunate, because I think Janz has wonderful gift for story telling and imagery. He managed to combine a back story and current story and make both equally as interesting which is one hell of a talent. His dialogue is completely believable and doesn't ever feel unnatural.

F
Hunter Shea
Yes, horror novels can be sexy, especially when they're crafted by an author at the top of his game. House of Skin is a dark ride down the into the depths of the corrupted souls that have lived in the Watermere estate. Intrigue and the ghosts of dirty deeds abound in one of the most gripping stories I've read all year. Who or what was Myles Carver and his deliciously deviant wife Annabel? And what has Paul Myles gotten himself into as he claims his inheritance on the haunted estate with a past s ...more
Rachel Hall
So I guess by my rating it's pretty clear that I was pretty unimpressed. This was another goodreads recommend I just happened to take a chance on so I'm not too broken up about it, but House of Skin is not something I would recommend to someone else. The plot is confused and forced because it seems the author tried to mash several archetypal horror stories into a a big jumbled mess that didn't ever quite come together for me, not even in the end. I would say maybe not put in the time to read thi ...more
Brian
It's a first novel (or maybe just reads like one) that tries to cram too much into too small a space. There's some decent stuff here, but over-ambitious. Horror generally doesn't work well on a big canvas -- which is why Stephen King hasn't written anything decent in 25 years -- and that applies to themes as well as page count. Janz showed me enough that I'd pick up another one of his books if I came across it, but this one is merely "meh."
Zora
May 15, 2015 Zora marked it as couldnt-get-into  ·  review of another edition
My main problem with this is that I didn't believe people would behave like this. Decent writing, though.
Kilgallen
Another wonderfully horrific story from Jonathan Janz! A great haunted house tale that pulls you in and doesn't let go. None of the characters are very likable and this adds to the validity of the story in my opinion. Afterall it SHOULD be the bad who get punished shouldn't it? This is not one for the faint of heart...or weak of stomach.
Lorie
It was good, not great. I wouldn't recommend it, I didn't like any of the characters enough to care what happened to them. It was kind of predictable.
Amanda Rardon
Excellent book! Read this book in 2 days! Recommended for those who love a good ghost story -just make sure you leave the lights on!
John Collins
I had never heard of Janz before this book. After hearing some solid word of mouth and I was interested in Samhain's horror line, I decided to give this a shot. It's always exciting to find a new ( to me anyway) author and Janz delivered. Solid charcters and a good pace, I always enjoy a good supernatural story and this one hits all the right notes.
A young man inherits a creepy mansion with a sordid past so horrible that the locals shun the house and anyone living in it. Obsession and vengeful
Melissa
It was OK. Not bad, but not something I'd recommend right away as an awesome read.
Leslee
Hm, this was a hard one to review. Janz definitely wears his influences on his sleeve for this 'haunted house' novel. I say haunted house because it takes place in a house that's being haunted, but the haunted house is definitely not the star of this book and didn't creep me out the way that it should. In fact a lot of the book takes place outside of the house, which I think is part of the reason that it never felt truly alive to me - it lacks that claustrophobic feeling of being trapped the way ...more
Lindsey Goddard
I loved this book. It puts an imaginative new spin on the classic "the house is alive" concept. And I don't feel as if I'm giving too much away or spoiling any surprises by saying that, because there are several more elements at play within these pages.

I will admit that towards the middle of this novel, the story started to drag and I was afraid I'd lose interest, but that quickly turned around as the plot approached its climax. This was a thoroughly enjoyable read. There were some well done de
Pierre
In this novel, Jonathan Janz pays tribute to gothic ghost stories and to the tales of Edgar Allan Poe, while spinning a modern horror tale full of mystery and hidden, horrifying secrets.
The tale unfolds gradually before our eyes and those of Myles Carver. The aura of mystery surrounding the house he inherits from an old uncle he knows nothing about is thick. Jonathan Janz very skillfully exposes the troubled past of the house and its inhabitants through a series of odd events and enigmatic char
Glenn Rolfe
Up front, I love Jonathan's style and ability to craft amazing beginnings. I believe this is his 2nd novel. It's filled with some great dialogue, a masterful job of weaving past and present, and Jonathan's natural gift with words.
House of Skin jumps out of the gate ready to roar. I found myself pulled in and eager to know what was going to happen. I was surprised (pleasantly so) by the initial exchanges by main character Paul Carver and his...interest, Julia. There were a few surprises in here.
Leah
Rating: 3.5 of 5

Slow build, patience required. The pace picked up around page 175, built steadily to climax, and ended strong. A couple good scares. No surprises though. (view spoiler) I'd read another book by Janz.
Mark Brown
Seamlessly blending styles reminiscent of Laymon and Straub this novel is steeped in dread. The cursed Carver estate harbours the darkest evil which brings down damnation and worse on all who dwell there. Wonderfully drawn characters and a chilling dread which pervades throughout the novel make this the book of the year for me and I have read some doozies. I highly recommend it to lovers of supernatural terror.
Vanessa Wolf
I lost interest around the time Julia locks Brand in her basement for no reason. I mean maybe they're in the Grindhouse universe where cops are randomly crooked, but I didn't get the impression it was that kind of world. I'll check out "The Sorrows," because I did enjoy the pacing and style, but my disbelief was broken on that subplot and I couldn't really get into the rest of the book.
Tracy
I was not impressed with House of Skin. The idea for the story was good, I love love horror novels but felt in some places that sex was just added in for the sake of having sex in the novel and had nothing really to do with the plot. Or other aspects could have been more developed to make this a great Ghost, haunted house story.
Ryu
This is actually the first horror book I have ever read. I have read some other books that were creepy, but not specifically horror. I have to say, I would definitely read more by this author. Great story telling. Very provocative and gory. If you are someone that likes to read this genre of book, I do recommend this one.
Debra
Janz has excellent writing skills and he can just get away from his too frequent an unneeded references to T&A, he might just create some great stories. Although, the storyline was predictable, I still liked it well enough to follow through until the end. Will try another by this author because he does have talent.
Tabetha Markel
I received my copy of House of Skin by Jonathan Janz from Goodreads book giveaway. I really liked this book. It captured my attention from the first page. Jonathan done an amazing job detailing everything. I often felt like I was watching a movie. Kudos to Jonathan for a well written book. Thanks
Monique
Really sexy ghost story that moves quickly and kept me captivated. I thought the flashbacks were well written and made the back story just as fascinating and in depth as the main story. Fast paced and great read. Definitely a great find. Horror fans will love this!
Ron Santo
I just finished "House of Skin" and I loved it!! If you are a fan of horror, violence, sexuality, humor and great story telling, then you will thoroughly enjoy this book. If you don't like these things....well then why DID you read this book?
Joe D.
Interesting read. Can't really say it was scary though. For the first 3/4 of the book, I wouldn't have even called it a horror novel.
Dana
House of Skin is close to 4 stars. Really evil protagonists Annabel. I think a movie is being made of this novel, should be scary.
  • The Complete Knifepoint Horror
  • Something Wicked
  • Nightwhere
  • The Hides (Timmy Quinn #2)
  • Forsaken
  • Video Night
  • The Cabin
  • The Drive-In
  • House of Fear
Jonathan Janz grew up between a dark forest and a graveyard, and in a way, that explains everything. Brian Keene named his debut novel The Sorrows “the best horror novel of 2012.” The Library Journal deemed his follow-up, House of Skin, “reminiscent of Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House and Peter Straub’s Ghost Story.”

In 2013 Samhain Horror published his novel of vampirism and human sac
More about Jonathan Janz...
The Sorrows Exorcist Road Night Terrors (Savage Species, #1) Savage Species (Savage Species, #1-5) The Darkest Lullaby