Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel
read excerpt* *Different edition

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend: A Novel

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  10,977 ratings  ·  2,236 reviews
Imaginary friend Budo narrates this heartwarming story of love, loyalty, and the power of the imagination—the perfect read for anyone who has ever had a friend . . . real or otherwise.

Budo is lucky as imaginary friends go. He's been alive for more thanfive years, which is positively ancient in the world of imaginary friends. But Budo feels his age, and thinks constantly of...more
Audio CD
Published August 21st 2012 by Macmillan Audio (first published March 1st 2012)

The False Friend by Myla GoldbergBeyond Casseroles by Lisa CopenSurpassing the Love of Men by Lillian FadermanAfter the Fire by Robin Gaby FisherA Place to Land by Martha Manning
Friend Titles
40th out of 46 books — 1 voter
Captive in the Dark by C.J. RobertsStolen by Lucy ChristopherSeduced in the Dark by C.J. RobertsConsequences by Aleatha RomigComfort Food by Kitty Thomas
Kidnapped!
357th out of 367 books — 1,108 voters

More lists with this book...

Joanne in Canada
Flipping ahead, like cholesterol, can be bad or good.

Bad flipping ahead means I'm losing interest and either looking for a reason to keep reading, or skimming through the rest of the plot before I stop reading.

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend was subjected to good flipping ahead. Part way through, I simultaneously couldn't stand the suspense and didn't want to rush this wonderful journey with Max and his imaginary friend Budo, so I flipped ahead a little, then came back to relish the details.

I wa...more
Nandakishore Varma
Here is what I know:

My Name is Budo.

I have been alive for five years.

Five years is very long for someone like me to be alive.

Max gave me my name.

Max is the only human person who can see me.

Max's parents call me an imaginary friend.

I love Max's teacher, Mrs Gosk.

I do not like Max's other teacher, Mrs Patterson.

I am not imaginary.

So begins one of the most unusual and frustrating books I have ever read, Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green.

Many kids have imaginary friends, who last for v...more
Callie
Started yesterday, and I couldn't put it down!

I loved every moment I spent with Budo and his friend, Max, and I just can't recommend this highly enough, especially for people who liked A Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime, or Room. I think I actually liked this a little better than both of those!

There were some very tender moments, some very sad moments, some very funny moments... I went through way more kleenax than I was anticipating!

I can't wait to start lending this out to people!
Kim

I am a horrible person (ME.ME.ME.ME.ME.ME). I am worse than a horrible person. I am a killer. I am worse than a killer.
I am a killer of dreams.

My daughter, Marley, was about 3 when she introduced me to Hartluv. At first I thought that there were some hippy parents who subjected their child to this moniker. Maybe someone in her pre-school class but then I thought, we live in Manchester, NH. No one is that bright or weird in Manchester, NH. (we were planning our escape). It went like this:

Marley:...more
Cheryl
This book is creative. The author uses an imaginary friend as the narrator speaking to readers with the limitations of a child's mind and experience, and the powerful memories of love. It is about gratitude for living, mastery of how the world works, and finally, it is about disappearance.

Disappearance from a crippling phase of childhood, an abductor who has been a trusted school mentor, dependence on an imaginary friend, to saving oneself in reality.

Imagination is paramount at an early age in o...more
Thomas
Have you ever watched a movie where you knew how it was going to end right from the beginning, but you still cried when the ending came anyway? That's what happened to me with Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.

Budo is Max's imaginary friend. He looks more human than most imaginary friends, can pass through doors and windows, and he loves Max. The bad part is that if Max stops believing in him, Budo will disappear. Max's life moves as smoothly as it can for a child with a mental disability until one...more
Autumn
This book is one of the biggest surprises for me of the year. I was blown away by how emotional and heart-wrenching this book was at times. That might be because of what an awesome job the narrator, Matthew Brown, did with the audiobook. The story was absolutely fantastic, but Mr. Brown brought Budo to life just as surely as Max Delaney did.

In Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend when a child creates an imaginary friend they are real. Only, no one but the child that created him (and other imaginary fr...more
Alex
I had several imaginary friends, one was a girl named Elizabeth, one was a girl named Jessica, one was a dog named Bonzo. Bonzo was the best. I miss Bonzo. Jessica was a bit mean, Elizabeth a bit pasty. Sorry, Elizabeth, you did stick around for quite a while, and I don't want you to feel unappreciated. But you were a little bit pasty, in hindsight. Bonzo, on the other hand, was solid and loyal and... he persisted.
I don't know how long these friends stuck around for, but the times spent with th...more
Mark Rice
On every level, this book is worthy of five stars. The story is original, touching and memorable. Budo (the narrator and main character) is a captivating mixture of innocence, childlike wisdom, love, wonder and fear. Matthew Green's characters are so vivid that they remain with the reader after the book is finished. Right from the opening page, the novel engaged my full attention, stirring up emotions that grew stronger as the story progressed. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend is a masterclass in...more
Mia Searles (The Muses Circle)
This review and more can be viewed on my blog at: The Muses Circle

"I wish there was a Heaven. If I knew there was a Heaven for me, then I would save Max for sure. I wouldn't be afraid because there would be a place to go after this place. Another place. But I don't think there is a Heaven, and I definitely don't think there is a Heaven for imaginary friends. Heaven is only supposed to be for people who God made, and God didn't make me. Max made me."

I normally don't start my reviews with a quote,...more
Natalie Monroe
Damn if this book doesn't get me right in the feels.

To my imaginary friend, Tie (I was five, okay?):

You were a part of my childhood and I will never ever forget you.
Emlyn Chand
This book was perfect. Have you ever read something that ended so beautifully, incorporating even the most minor plot points in its resolution, that you couldn't help but cry as you reached the final page? It's a rare experience, but an amazing one. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend has earned its place among my favorites, along with a 5-star rating from this stingy reviewer.

Written in the simple and repetitive voice of Budo, the imaginary friend of an 8-year-old with Asberger's, this novel sucks y...more
Cheryl
Reading this book made me feel like a child again. I loved Budo. I wished that I had such a vivid imagination as Max did with Budo when I was growing up. I never really had an imaginary friend growing up but this probably had to do with I had a younger sister to play with. She and I would make things up ourselves. However, if I was an only child, I would have wanted a friend like Budo. It was very creative of Max to give Budo the ability to walk through walls.

I do admit that at first I was a li...more
Caleb Wilson
A wonderful book. Pitch-perfect narrative voice. It proved impossible for me to set it down once I reached the halfway mark. The ending made me perform an imaginary fist pump of triumph.
Stephanie
This review originally appeared at www.readinasinglesitting.com.

In the few months before my little sister started primary school, she had a new best friend: Cookie. Cookie trumped her other friends with ease, in large part because Cookie was imaginary. Imaginary friends, of course, are subject to the creative boundaries of their imaginers, and are also bolstered by their imaginers’ sense of what a friend should be. Needless to say, Cookie was essentially flawless.

Cookie also disappeared not long...more
Kwoomac
This book was nothing like author Matthew Dicks' previous novels. Ok, maybe not completely true. The protagonist is not a quirky adult with OCD, but an eight-year-old boy with autistic features. Actually, he's not the main protag, his imaginary friend is.

This is a truly poignant tale told through the eyes of Budo, the imaginary friend of Max Delaney. According to Budo, imaginary friends are real. It was a fun concept. Budo can go places without Max, and often wanders off if he's bored. He has fr...more
Tania
This was such a sweet, innocent story. Told from the viewpoint of an imaginary friend of a boy with aspegers, it is very original. It made me think about imaginary friends in a differant way. It also made me cry. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed room or curious incident of a dog at nighttime.
Sara
Increíble. Al principio tenía la sensación de que sería el típico libro infantil, pero derrepente... BUM! Empiezan a suceder cosas y más cosas y te acabas encariñando con Budo y te enfadas bastante con Max y.... LECTURA OBLIGATORIA.

"Es el diablo bajo la pálida luz de la luna."
Lilyan
THIS BOOK MADE ME CREATE A SIX STARS SHELF.

“Maybe we are all somebody's devil”

There are no words to describe how beautiful this book is. I've written down so many quotes from the story, it fills up 10 pages in my notebook. And I have small hand writing.

After finishing this book I couldn't stop crying for 15 minutes, no joke. It wasn't the hysterical kind of cry. It was the type...more
Komal
Nov 13, 2012 Komal rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone with a heart
Shelves: favorites
― Matthew Dicks, Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

Mr. Matthew Dicks (alias Matthew Green as mentioned in the acknowledgements), forced me to try my hardest to imagine an imaginary friend while sitting on my couch, and stocking up on all the qualities I'd like in one, just to end up with nothing but 15 minutes of regrets of being an adult. Oh childhood! How I wish I could relive thee.

B...more
Kats
As a child I never had an imaginary friend, and having read Budo's and Max's story, I now feel as though I missed out big time. Their relationship is so special, so heart-warming and virtually irreplaceable by a friendship amongst normal mortals.

As if getting into the hearts and minds of both Budo and Max wasn't brillantly enough, Matthew Dicks then takes us on a very suspenseful adventure, and for a couple of hundred pages I was inseparable from the book (which incidentally was great news for...more
Debbie
Budo and Max are best friends, Max created Budo from his imagination. Budo is Max’s imaginary friend. Budo is different from other imaginary friends, he’s been alive for longer than any imaginary friend he knows and he looks more human than a lot of imaginary friends do, that’s because Max is different than most boys his age. Max lives inside himself a lot, he doesn’t like to be touched and sometimes he get’s “stuck” inside himself too, this makes him a target for bullies and the other kids don’...more
Rula Bilbeisi
Budo is not an imaginary friend, Budo is real. He is the character that you love, laugh with, and actually feel so sad when he no longer exists …. Persist!

One thing for sure, this book is magically different. It is one book that leads you into the mind of a an extra ordinary child, who is different not because people see him as such, but because (as Budo said) he has a lot going on inside him that he doesn’t worry so much about what is going on outside him. Max is truly one brave child who is do...more
Melinda
This one has an interesting premise: the narrator, Budo, is the imaginary friend of a real eight-year-old boy, Max. According to Budo, most imaginary friends don't last as long as he has (five years) because most real kids stop needing their imaginary friends by the time they're Max's age. However, Max is different from other kids; he hates change, doesn't understand social situations very well, and occasionally gets "stuck" when a situation freaks him out. The reader will quickly deduce that Ma...more
Helen Hart
Just when you think there's no originality left and all the good stories have all been told... along comes 'Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend' by an author new to me - Matthew Green (the UK pen-name of the US author Matthew Dicks). What a wonderful, gripping read. Narrator Budo grabs you on page one and simply doesn't let you go.

I was fascinated by the world Green conjures. At times achingly familiar, yet at the same time strange, the reality inhabited by imaginary friends is magical yet firmly ro...more
Connie
This delightful book is narrated by Budo, the imaginary friend of Max Delaney. Eight-year-old Max has a hard time interacting with other people since he's on the autistic spectrum, but he's helped by Budo's good advice and love. Budo is a very observant, smart imaginary friend who has plenty of time to watch humans interact since he doesn't have to sleep. When Max has to escape from a frightful situation, Budo rises to the occasion to help Max figure out what to do.

I enjoyed this engaging book....more
Vanessa
Another triumph for Matthew Dicks!

Strangely enough, I had low expectations for this book, since I thought nothing could come close to my beloved Martin from Something Missing. Wrong! This was such an incredible, creative and heart-thumping story. I was completely taken by surprise! The main character Buhdo is fantastic and the plot line is some stellar combination of Wonder (R.J. Palacio), Room (Emma Donahue)and Ghost (the movie). So awesome.

The imagination that went into this book is mind-blo...more
Dec 13, 2013 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Toni, Laura
Shelves: general-fiction
I am blown away. This is an extraordinary novel, definitely my top read this year. Matthew Dicks is amazing. I truly did not expect to fall so in love with a book told from the point of view of an imaginary friend. I do not like imaginary things; aliens, wizards, hobbits, unicorns, talking animals, etc. But I do have an interest in autism so I thought I'd give this a go (yes, I do have a bit of British in my genes.) This book made me laugh, it made me think, it made me cry, it made me smile. So...more
Nikki
Jan 18, 2013 Nikki rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nikki by: 'Best books of 2012' lists.
I'd read/heard so many people rave about this book and the synopsis sounded pretty interesting too, so I couldn't not read it. However, I really didn't like it. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but I just didn't get sucked into the story at all. I didn't feel involved with any of the characters, I didn't like the writing style (it reminded me a lot of Room, a book I started but didn't finish because of exactly this reason) and the plot was borderline ridiculous. Not to mention all th...more
Heidi
So...Budo is Max's imaginary friend, but he's real. Budo is five, which means he's lived a long time for an imaginary friend. (Imaginary friends disappear when their imaginer forgets them or doesn't need them anymore.) Max is eight and appears to be on the autism spectrum; there are many situations in life he can't handle without Budo's help. When real danger looms for Max, Budo must find a way to save him.

I just don't get all the hype surrounding this book. Maybe people are impressed with the g...more
The Ending (Do Not read if you haven't finished the book yet!) 13 248 Apr 10, 2014 05:58PM
Fiction Fanatics: August 2013 - Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend 11 32 Aug 17, 2013 10:12PM
Mrs. Patterson 4 62 Jul 01, 2013 05:19PM
  • Running the Rift
  • Tell the Wolves I'm Home
  • El brillo de las luciérnagas
  • In the Shadow of the Banyan
  • The Good Dream
  • We Sinners
  • The Boy Who Could See Demons
  • The Good House
  • ¡Buenos días, princesa! (El club de los incomprendidos, #1)
Greetings! Welcome to my little corner of the world.

My name is Matthew Dicks. I am an author.

In the UK, I publish under the name Matthew Green.

In the spring of 2008, under the guidance of my remarkable agent, Taryn Fagerness, I sold my first novel, SOMETHING MISSING, to Broadway Books, an imprint of Doubleday. It published in July of 2009, thus making one of my childhood dreams come true.

In the f...more
More about Matthew Green...
The Wizard of the Nile: The Hunt for Africa's Most Wanted Spells: Spellcraft to Bring Magic to Your Life and Reality to Your Desires The Wizard Of The Nile Fish Hooks and Totem Poles (Tom's Adventures in Alaska) The Bear Claw (Tom's Adventures in Alaska)

“You have to be the bravest person in the world to go out every day, being yourself when no one likes who you are.” 140 likes
“Everyone is someone's devil.” 52 likes