Start by marking “Undead to the World (The Bloodhound Files, #6)” as Want to Read:
Undead to the World (The Bloodhound Files, #6)

Undead to the World (The Bloodhound Files #6)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,123 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
Jace’s return to Kansas is an instant reminder that there really is no place like home. The tavern is still brimming with losers, practical jokers, and motorcycle chicks. Even the town’s only Goth is still wearing eyeliner. But just as Jace is about to click her heels and hightail out of there, she’s roped into a brand-new case. Somebody is possessed. And the bodies are pi ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 304 pages
Published November 27th 2012 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Undead to the World, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Angela James
Nov 03, 2013 Angela James rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2013
Let me start off by saying this is an urban fantasy series I often recommend, because many people have not discovered it. I'll also say that I thought the direction this book took was really interesting. But unfortunately, the last paragraph of the book makes me unable to recommend this series to anyone in the future. This book, which is said by the author to be the last of the series ends on a cliffhanger (is it still a cliffhanger if it's the last book? Or is it just a non-ending?) The one que ...more
Mara
Feb 13, 2013 Mara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
After ending Back from the Undead I realized I needed a pause from the series, as it left me confused and reeling. (One of few cases where's there's really too much on the plate.)

Therefore, I had decided to wait before reading the sixth book. Then I saw on the author's blog that Undead to the World would be the last. I couldn't stop myself, I moved it from my TBR folder into "NOW" :D

I'm happy and sad at the same time, happy because I read it and found it's the best in the series for me (together
All Things Urban Fantasy
The Bloodhound Files is a series unafraid to disregards the laws of physics for the sake of a great story, and UNDEAD TO THE WORLD is one of the best yet. Though heavy on plot and a little light on character, Jace’s banter and action has always been enough to keep me coming back for more.

Barant is not afraid to push the boundaries of his world outward in every book, and his mind bending plots often have me questioning “reality” alongside the characters. UNDEAD TO THE WORLD is a prime example of
Izzy
Aug 11, 2013 Izzy rated it did not like it
EDIT:

I've only just realised that this is the final book in the Bloodhound Files series. D.D Barant said on his blog entry (August 12, 2012), "Let’s start with some Good News, Bad News, shall we? The Good News is that Book Six of the Bloodhound Files, UNDEAD TO THE WORLD, is finished. The Bad News is, it looks like this is the final installment of TBF for the foreseeable future. Boo, I know."
Although he says that it's the final book in the series for now, I don't have much hope that the series w
Zeenat
Dec 09, 2012 Zeenat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: Jace Valcheck works as a waitress in Thropirelem, KS. She's not all right in the head, and everyone in town doesn't forget to remind her that. At least she has her favorite TV show she secretly watches, The Bloodhound Files. But now that dead bodies are showing up, and people are turning into something supernatural, Jace realizes not everything is as it seems...

Review: There are a lot of expectations in a final installment of a series. Undead to the World is the last book in the series
Ami
Kerstin ~ (SheReadsByMoonlight)
3.5 Stars

Granted, most books in 'The Bloodhound Files' series had me slightly confused at some point during their convoluted plot-lines, but in the beginning of this story I had absolutely no idea what was going on. Luckily I worked it out alongside Jace and could start to enjoy this fresh take on the characters and their world(s).
We get to see some old favourites re-emerge, meet new and old adversaries, have some loose ends tied up (though not necessarily in a satisfying way (view spoiler)
Julia
Dec 02, 2012 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, urban, arcs
This series contains so many elements in common with Supernatural, Eureka, or any number of fun, TV shows willing to stretch the laws of physics for the sake of a great story.

Each book pushes the boundaries outward a little bit more, with one bending plots that have me questioning "reality" alongside the characters. UNDEAD TO THE WORLD is a prime example, opening to a recognizable world that is oh so askew from where I had expected to find Jace. UNDEAD TO THE WORLD starts outside the series arc
Beautiful_Jade
Mar 06, 2013 Beautiful_Jade rated it really liked it
To say I was a tad confused at the beginning of this book would be a mahoosive understatement.

First I convinced myself I had some how missed a book out. No, all books present and correct.

Then I thought the author had done a 'Dallas' on us and all the previous books were either a dream or the ramblings of an unstable mind.

Neither is the case and as the book progresses all becomes clearer and clearer.

This is another great book from a great series. Full of action, banter and characters that I am no
Mangrovejane
May 12, 2014 Mangrovejane rated it really liked it
I am pissed off. Seriously, thoroughly, most whole heartedly annoyed. I know it is just a book series, I get it is a work of fiction but being the last book in a series is a BIG responsibility. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED this series right up until the very last rip off bullshit ending sentence.

The story itself was fantastic. Everything you would expect from a novel in this series. Weird twisting plot, snappy dialogue, drama, action, character reveals, terrible b grade lines that make me laugh
Khalia Hades
Dec 10, 2013 Khalia Hades rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for series written with intelligence and appeal. This is one such series. The author can really do no wrong, and I trust her instincts more than I do mine. There have been some remarks about a different direction or unsatisfying ending, yet to me those aspects make it all the more appealing. It is a new direction and it is time in the series for this to happen. I hope it's very interesting new direction and keeps me a customer for several years to come.
Cyn Armistead
Barant nearly lost me in the beginning, because this volume is so very different from earlier ones in the series. It got better, though, and as it did I didn't want to put the book down. However, I have to say that the cliffhanger ending ticked me off. The next volume will have to be really, incredibly good to make up for the cheap trick.

Wait a minute - according to Barant's blog, this is almost certainly the last book in the series. GAH!
Jen
Wow. What a great story this turned out to be! I had a little trouble getting into it, as it didn't start out with the Jace I've come to know and love. But the title gave me hope that she was in there somewhere, and once she made her appearance, things really started to take off. My only complaint now is that it ended on a bit of a cliffhanger and no date has yet been announced as to when book seven will be released.
Ms.
May 01, 2013 Ms. rated it liked it
This was actually my favorite book in the series. I thought it made absolute sense, considering how the last book ended.

But really, it was lazy writing. D.D. Barant already fell prey to the "Tell-not-show/ information dump" approach to novels, but I was willing to see past that (more or less). However, his failure to properly finish the novel is purely disrespectful to readers.
Sharon Stevenson
Jun 14, 2014 Sharon Stevenson rated it really liked it
Okay so I didn't realise this book was the last in series until after I finished reading it but knowing this now actually makes the ending more powerful, though I will say it's an ending people will likely either love or hate! But enough about the ending, the story is a brilliantly entertaining action-packed adventure full of quirky characters and witty banter, much like the previous books in the series. There were quite a few Wizard of Oz references and some were used to very amusing effect. Ja ...more
☀Rachael☀
May 27, 2013 ☀Rachael☀ rated it it was amazing
OMG! I Have no words! That ending how can he do that to us! This was one crazy ride sooo much going on I was a little confused at times but Jace kept me going! I wish that there were 10 more books!
Marci
Jan 06, 2013 Marci rated it liked it
Hated the ending. It took me so long to get into this alternative story line...too bizarre. I certainly am hooked in for the next in the series though.
Chris
Jul 17, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
If this book were a food, it'd be spaghetti with lots of sauce and about a dozen meatballs. The spaghetti would be all the underlying connections of twists and turns the story takes. Over layered with a sauce of a general story and meatballs for the main characters. So much going on it's hard to follow at times, the plot twists of who's doing what to whom and why and how. Oh my. Confusing at times, but fun to read. Just when you think you've got it figured out, there's another surprise. Never ge ...more
Thenia
Dec 02, 2015 Thenia rated it really liked it
The conclusion of Jace's story that despite the ambiguous ending, did not feel unfinished.

The book starts with a different Jace in a world much like our own, devoid of magic. She is apparently suffering from delusions and is obsessed with this Jace of a TV show that she keeps watching, identifying with her so much that she needs medication to function properly.

It turns out that (view spoiler)
Amyiw
This is the end of the series and it ends on a cliffhanger for the series, not the plot of the book, but the plot of the series. Saying this and how it is a major disappointment, I decided not to dock all my stars even though it has left me a bit angered at the series. I decided to look at the book plot.

Jace is back and she is in an alternate reality with a different life but everything doesn't seem quite right. It took me a bit to realize what was going on but once I did, I really enjoyed the p
Catherine
Feb 12, 2014 Catherine rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I initially read this and rated it at 4 stars right after it was released. I didn't find out until later that this was actually the last book of the series. Then it dawned on me that this book ended on a cliffhanger. And it's the last one. Like no more are coming. Ever. I was not happy, but I forgot that I had already rated this here. In a group discussion about sucky endings to a series I mentioned this one. It only occurred to me now that I needed to see what I put on this one. I hadn't added ...more
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Jun 07, 2013 Jessica (a GREAT read) rated it really liked it
To sum up D.D. Barant's Undead to the World, I'd have to say it was pretty epic, if a mite confusing. Jace is still our heroine, but she's not quite the same. The cover description kind of gives you that heads up but I still wasn't prepared for a Jace living in Thropirelem, Kansas who worked as a waitress part-time and worked in a hardware store the other part of the time. Yeah, confused is a nice way of putting things.

But I always find it best to just roll with it and see where things go, which
Fey
Dec 10, 2012 Fey rated it it was ok
To be honest, this book just didn't seem to have the oomph that the previous books in the series had for me. The characters were dull and uninteresting, the overall plot was lackluster, and the villain just feels ambiguous, which is weird, since the author tells you who that is pretty early on. It's just not conveyed well to the reader.

I am a huge fan of the other books in the series and was really looking forward to this one, maybe that's why I was as disappointed as I was when I put it down.

T
Ana
Mar 02, 2015 Ana rated it really liked it
Erin
Dec 02, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Ok. For the record, I love this series. Unabashedly I'm in love with Jace and her witty banter and her fantastic team. So I was eagerly awaiting this newest book. And when I started it, I had to flip to the blurb on the back and make sure that I was, for sure, reading a Bloodhound book. Cuz, this book, literally takes us out of the world we got used to and plops us right down into an upside down, turn it all around Kansas. And... I think this was the intention. At first I was a bit put out cuz w ...more
Jessica Larlee
Jun 30, 2013 Jessica Larlee rated it really liked it
I started this book then stopped to read another series that released shortly after and then a few others after that. the first few chapters are a little confusing (definitely made that way on purpose) don't think the author forgot what story she was writing. once you figure out whats going on it takes off like a snowball down a hill.

I think that's what I like about this series. you never know what you are gonna get. I learned that with the one about the comic books.

yes this ends with a cliff-h
Jenni Ebba
Dec 03, 2012 Jenni Ebba rated it really liked it
I love DD Barant's heavy fantastical world he has created in the Bloodhound Files series. The Bloodhound Files is a series about multiple worlds happening at the same time. Jace Valchak is an FBI profiler who has been abducted to a different dimension to help apprehend a homicidal criminal bent on the destruction of billions! The only twist is that the world she arrives in is filled with vampires, were-animals, golems, and humans are going extinct. Humans are treated as second class citizens for ...more
Gabriela
May 25, 2015 Gabriela rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
*Discovery: This may not be the actual end of the series.*

It's been a while since I've gone back to this series and, to be honest, I had a good reason. I was afraid that I might hate the end of it since most people seem to be disappointed, but I was happy enough. I could imagine what end I wanted. The book had the same gorgeous, enrapturing storyline that I've come to expect from Barant's writing. Despite the slow start and completely odd setting, it all comes out making sense in the end. Good b
Cindy
Jan 07, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book (#6 in this wonderful series) I kept thinking "what the he!! is going on?" I went and pulled the others in the Bloodhound Files and still couldn't figure out why our kicka$$ FBI agent is working as a crazy waitress. As I got further into the book I caught on (duh) that Jace is in another (parallel) universe playing out someone's else's "Hell on Earth" designed specifically to torture her. When the evil person is found dead, the spells start to unravel In th ...more
Rosanne
Jul 08, 2014 Rosanne rated it really liked it
The ride has come to an end. This was the last book in "The Bloodhound Files" series and I will miss Jace and the gang.

This book was quite different than the rest. I can understand why a lot of the reviews were negative because it was different. That being said, I still enjoyed the story! Also, it ends on a cliffhanger. But I think I know how it ends.

If you are looking for a fun Paranormal series that is full of action and some of the funniest dialog, check out the six books in this series!
  • Kingdom of Lies (Imp, #7)
  • Darklands (Deadtown, #4)
  •  The Cold Kiss of Death (Spellcrackers.com, # 2)
  • Precinct 13
  • Rogue Descendant (Nikki Glass, #3)
  • Magic for a Price (Allie Beckstrom, #9)
  • Mountain Echoes (Walker Papers, #8)
  • Wicked Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #5)
  • Killing Rites (The Black Sun's Daughter, #4)
  • Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville, #10)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Dark Days (Black London, #6)
  • The Queen Is Dead (The Immortal Empire, #2)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5)
Pseudonyms: Don DeBrandt & Donn Cortez & Dixie Lyle

DD Barant lives in Vancouver, BC, and loves monsters, chocolate, animals, reading, comics and lying naked on the beach, while hating bullies, narrow-minded people, Sea Urchin Sushi and gluten. He has stated that DD Barant is a pseudonym, and that it is not the only pseudonym under which he writes.

http
More about D.D. Barant...

The Bloodhound Files (6 books)
  • Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1)
  • Death Blows (The Bloodhound Files, #2)
  • Killing Rocks (The Bloodhound Files, #3)
  • Better Off Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #4)
  • Back from the Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #5)