Start by marking “Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim” as Want to Read:
Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim

Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  928 ratings  ·  198 reviews
From the bestselling mother/daughter writing duo comes another hilarious collection of essays about motherhood, daughterhood, womanhood, and “does this hood look good on me?”

Love and tomato sauce are thick in the Scottoline/Serritella household, and Lisa and Francesca’s mother-daughter turned best-friends bond will strike a familiar note to many. But now that Lisa is a sub
Audio CD
Published November 13th 2012 by Macmillan Audio (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim

Carolyn Amundson
I picked this up randomly in the library and just couldn't finish it. It's like one author is telling you some rambling information about her life, and then the other jumps in for a chapter to tell you some additional rambling stuff and responding to the first author's rambling tale. In this case, the two authors are a mother and a daughter. The authors say the book is funny. I had to take their word for it. Here's an excerpt:

Dogs don't have emotional baggage.
And if they did, they'd forget it at
Katherine
3.5 out of 5 stars

For the most part, I enjoyed this second nonfiction installment from mother daughter writing team Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella. While there were some stories that I skimmed over because the topics seemed so trivial to me. That and some of the stories were repeats from previous installments.

My personal favorites involved (again) stories involving her pets, mainly because I can relate to all said various pet problems she encounters. Number of pets I have will remain u
Sue
This was a quick read - about mothers and daughters - luckily Lisa Scottoline is an excellent writer so it keeps you going through all the various vignettes.. it was humorous but not outrageously so... this was a good in-between book - one to read and finish before I found the next one I really wanted to read.
Dawn
I just love to read the books that Lisa Scottoline writes with her daughter. They are always funny, cheerful, and honest about life, growing older, and mother-daughter relationships. I find these books as sort of a vacation without leaving home.
Jenny
I have found that I cannot resist these books. I think it is because I can relate to their mother-daughter relationship and the goofy banter throughout the book. Plus they are a fun, quick read. I find myself tearing up in spots (I can't deny that PMS isn't involved) and then laughing out loud in others. Lisa Scottoline and her daughter say the things I think and feel but don't write down. I love that they can find humor in mundane life events. I appreciate that the witticism comes effortlessly ...more
This whole series of autobiographical essays is worth reading, especially for the laughs. Many times I find myself totally relating to an essay topic and either enjoying the humor or finding it thought provoking because the essay will make me look at a situation I am in differently than I had been looking at it before. Not profound life-changing thoughts, just a lot of gee, I'm not the only one or maybe, hmm, I guess things could be worse. Overall, just a fun read and if you start with the first ...more
Lisa
This book of witty essays (taken mostly from the authors' column in the Philadelphia Inquirer) grew on me, although you don't get enough for your money--too much white space and one or two word paragraphs feel like padding after a while. Nevertheless, the authors (especially Lisa, the mother) have some good and sometimes spot-on insights into life as a woman. The book assumes that you've read the authors' earlier books of witty essays, so it might be best to read them in order; otherwise you may ...more
Me
Lisa Scottoline and her daughter Francesca take turns writing essays on topics ranging from long distance romances to pet fur covered furniture. There were several times that I did find myself chuckling. I read the audio version which includes an interview with both authors and adds more insight to their writing and purpose.
Andrea
This is a really good collection of non-fiction stories told by Lisa Scottoline and her daughter Francesca Serritella. Each story explores different facets of thier relationship as it changes with age. I enjoy these stories because I am a fan of Lisa's fiction books, but they are also great for anyone who is not interested in her other books. These are two talented women that I will be following!
Alice
Saw this audiobook in the "just returned" section of the library's Overdrive catalog and grabbed it for a road trip playlist. I've enjoyed Lisa Scottoline's books for years, but didn't know that she wrote a column, nor that she was collaborating with daughter Francesca. Wow, this book of essays/columns was outstanding - nothing like laughing out loud in your car on a dark highway at 6:15am!

I've recently begun attending book tour events and I love it when an author narrates their own work. That'
Katie
Loved it--especially the chapter about hands. I can still remember when my mother told me she put her arm through her sleeve one day and out came her mother's hand. I know exactly when I had the same experience.
Nika
Yes, I always laugh with Lisa Scottoline. Yes, I'm always embarrassed to be seen with the dumb doggy cover. (Definitely a cat person)
Gail
Reading this book is like eating popcorn. Once I started, I didn't want to stop. These essays lasting only 3 or 4 pages were written by bestselling author, Lisa Scottoline, and her daughter. Together they write a column for the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper. These stories are taken from their columns. I enjoy reading Lisa's novels but was skeptical whether I would enjoy reading short essays about life in Chester County, PA or New York City. I was pleasantly surprised and will enjoy reading ano ...more
Melissa Lee-tammeus
I have read many of Lisa Scottoline's non fiction books that she has written with her daughter, which I enjoy - they are great for lounging in the tub and simply not caring for a moment or two. They are small column snippets of random thoughts - some, I must be honest, make me laugh out loud. Some, well, are just silly, and cause me to roll my eyes. I don't like Scottoline's fiction, as it is most often murder mystery stuff and her language is a bit simplistic. But that is exactly why I like her ...more
Nancy
I enjoy listening to the audio versions of Lisa and Francesca‘s Chick Wit column. There are so many times that I can relate moments of their lives to the interactions that my daughter and I have had. I no longer have a Mother Mary in my life and never did have a Brother Frank, but I too can remember the exchanges between my mother and me and wonder how either of us had survived.

I was playing the audio version during a college tour trip with my daughter and from time to time, I could see a little
JBradford
I became hooked on Lisa Scottoline’s Rosato & Associates novels some years ago featuring a tough-as-nails female attorney, Bennie Rosato, who starts a law firm consisting of a group of female attorneys, each of whom has her own story, as told in successive novels. Consequently, Lisa Scottoline’s name was very familiar to me when I spotted it on the cover of a book on the new-books shelf at the town library, with their name this time being coupled with that of Francisca Serritella, who turns ...more
Ruth
I became a Lisa Scottoline fan back in the days of her all women law firm with a mystery that just needed solving. Loved them all. Now she has entered two different areas. She is now writing some novels that are more reminiscent of Jodi Picoult in that they involve relationships and a current day topic such as bullying. The third area are the books that are compilations of the columns that she and daughter Francesca write for the Philadelphia Inquirer. This book is the fourth one that they have ...more
Sheila
Very fast read. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this book when I started it. It is a bit slow at the beginning until you find the drift of the book. It doesn't have one story line like we are used to or I expected. It has more little bites of events. The author has a very quick wit and definitely has a unique way of looking at things. I loved some of her lines so much I had to read them over. If you are looking for a nice break and want a fun mother daughter read, this is your book.
Suzanne
4.5 stars. I really like Lisa Scottoline's mystery/suspense novels so when I saw this book on B & N, I figured I'd give it a try. I was not disappointed. I didn't realize that she could be so humorous. This book is a compilation of columns that she and her daughter wrote for a weekly column in The Philadelphia Inquirer. It gives a glimpse of the fantastic mother-daughter relationship that they have. I look forward to reading more.
Julie
A very quick read that is a lot of fun. Sometimes it's silly, sometimes it's sweet. I do wish that Francesca had more representation in the book, but overall I enjoyed it. I really liked hearing their differing takes on Mother Mary, Lisa's mom and Francesca's grandmother. Hearing about divorce and dating just from Lisa so often took away from the Mother-Daughter aspect of the story I think.

Still generally enjoyable though.
Stephanie Berger
I'm listening to it now. I'm enjoying it so much so far& {
Carole Anderson
Lisa Scottoline is one of my favorite authors, but this was my first adventure into reading a book by her and her daughter. It was a delightful read. Interestingly, at least in this books, they write similarly. They both seem to have the same humor and I laughed many times. Insights were a bit alarming, in that I could definitely relate, but how nice that someone can put thoughts and feelings I have into words. I would read another by the two ladies!
Sharyn
Compiled from a weekly Philadelphia newspaper columns, this is a nice book to have for night reading (so I don't stay up to read a whole book!!) This is the 2nd of these I have read. Some are funny, some poignant, all of them interesting. A wonderful look into the life of a mother in the sandwich generation, equally worried about her mother and daughter. The love shines through.
Eileen
Lisa Scottoline is one of my favorite suspense/mystery writers, so when she started writing non-fiction, telling short stories about her life, I had to get those books too. This is the third and is co-authored by her 25 year old daughter. I listened to the audio because they read their own stories and it adds another whole dimension. They are mostly 700 word essays that run in their column in a Philadelphia newspaper. They are witty, cute, funny, honest and cover an array of topics from 9/11 mem ...more
Batgirl13
50 Book Reading Challenge 2015: A book that made you cry

Listened to this on audio and it definitely could have made me cry which I think is the closest I'll get for this one on the challenge. Francesca's story about 9-11 was very tear jerking and well-written. This was at times funny, sad, and inspiring.
Heather
Funny and touching, written with her daughter, Scottoline writes about the changing relationships between generations as they age. From picking birth names to injuring yourself on pets, even sex as an older single woman, no topic is off limits. Almost every woman can relate to something in these essays.
Cathy
A; A joint venture between the author and her daughter Francesca (also an author) of their essays. A nice peek into their lives; absolutely love Mother Mary. I could identify with both authors as I'm getting older. I'll have to check out more of Scottoline's novels.
Kelly
I had a lot of fun reading this book. A couple stories were repeats from the book I just finished of Lisa Scottoline's but I just skipped those chapters. Basically it is a bunch of short stories written by Lisa and her daughter. They seem to have a great relationship and a lot of fun. A lot of the stories are funny and easy to relate too.
Nicole Long
For a long time I avoided non-fiction, claiming that I just didn't like it. Lisa Scottoline is one of my favorite fiction authors, and yet I avoided this one for that same reason. The other day at the library, in the large print section (I am 40 now), this book was beautifully displayed and I just couldn't resist it. I fell in love with it from almost the beginning. It was funny. Laugh out loud funny. You receive a great idea of what the relationship is like between Lisa, Daughter Francesca, Mot ...more
Amanda Hendsbee
I never thought it'd be possible to love Lisa Scottoline's work more than I did when I read her mysteries, but her memoirs are even better. This is the second of those books I've read, and I've loved every minute of both of them. I look forward to reading the rest!
  • I Can't Complain: (All Too) Personal Essays
  • The Pig in the Pantry: and Other Homeschool Tales
  • Confessions of the World's Best Father
  • Ansel Adams in the National Parks: Photographs from America's Wild Places
  • What Would Dewey Do? (Unshelved, #2)
  • All You'll Ever Need
  • Leave the Light On: A Memoir of Recovery and Self-Discovery
  • I Can't Make You Love Me, but I Can Make You Leave: A Novel
  • Here's to Friends! (The Four Lindas, #4)
  • All I Can Handle: I'm No Mother Teresa: A Life Raising Three Daughters with Autism
  • This Is Chick-lit
  • Talk Show: Confrontations, Pointed Commentary, and Off-Screen Secrets
  • Worth It ... Not Worth It?: Simple & Profitable Answers to Life's Tough Financial Questions
  • The Tao of Martha: My Year of LIVING; Or, Why I'm Never Getting All That Glitter Off of the Dog
  • Once and Again (Return to Briarwood, #1)
  • The Wild Oats Project: One Woman's Midlife Quest for Passion at Any Cost
  • When Wanderers Cease to Roam: A Traveler's Journal of Staying Put
  • Rolling Thunder Logbook
20258
Lisa Scottoline is the New York Times bestselling author and Edgar award-winning author of 23 novels, including her latest, EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES, which releases in April 2015. She also writes a weekly column with her daughter Francesca Serritella for the Philadelphia Inquirer titled "Chick Wit" which is a witty and fun take on life from a woman's perspective.
More about Lisa Scottoline...
Look Again Save Me Come Home Don't Go Keep Quiet