Start by marking “A Death in Valencia” as Want to Read:
A Death in Valencia

A Death in Valencia (Chief Inspector Max Cámara #2)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A Death in Valencia is the electrifying second Max Cámara Valencian crime novel from Jason Webster, author of Or the Bull Kills You.

Max Cámara is feeling low. Ominous cracks have appeared in the walls of his flat; the body of a well-known paella chef has been washed up on the beach; there are rows and threats about abortion clinics in anticipation of the Pope’s visit to Va
Published September 18th 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published June 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Death in Valencia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Death in Valencia

Sandra Danby
This is a book about more than a singular death, it is an exploration of the nature of death and what constitutes murder. Max Cámara, the Valencia detective introduced in Or The Bull Kills You, cannot sleep: his street is being dug up as the new Metro line is being built, the summer heat pulsates, and Valencia is crazy as it prepares for the arrival of the Pope.
The city buzzes with pro- and anti-Catholic emotions, with pro-life and pro-choice campaigners lining up their arguments for the Pope. M
Aubrey Davis
A deep mystery in Sunny Valencia, dark & quirky characters, flashing with insight. A fine read.
Janet
I won a copy of A Death in Valencia in a GoodReads give-away.

I usually select books based on A - the author (if I've enjoyed their previous books) B - the book's blurb (if it sounds intriguing) or
C - recommendation from friends/family (but usually, I'm the one making recommendations). I entered to give-away based on the book's blurb as I had never heard of Jason Webster.

But now that I have, I'll keep my eyes open looking for more of his books...and I hope there will be a lot more.

At just over 20
Sharon
Second in the Max Camara series and just as fast paced as the first. While Or The Bull Kills you dealt with bullfighting and its culture old and new. This second book features paella and anti or pro abortion clinics as the main flow coming to a head during a visit by the Pope, all threads that weave in and out again present the various government and municipal authorities playing major roles. Various police groups ...not often working together.....town hall again with its reign over the city wre ...more
John Brooke
American born, Britain-raised author Jason Webster resides in Spain and was first known as a travel writer. With the creation of Chief Inspector Max Camara, Webster set off in new directions. His first crime novel Or the Bull Kills You, was well received. A Death in Valencia is his second, and my first try with Max.

Webster paints a vivid mural depicting a deeply Catholic, very corrupt city of Valencia on the southern Mediterranean coast – touted as the paella capital of the world. Upon this canv
Kevin Lallah
I'm a big fan of Mr. Webster, having read Duende, Andalus and Guerra. So naturally, I couldn't resist the lure of "A Death In Valencia"
I enjoyed the story. Some original stuff: the death of a paella chef, the protagonist's apartment collapsing, an insight into Valencia's murky world of politics and venal characters clinging onto memories of Franco's fifty year reign.
However, I've given it three stars, mostly because I felt the characters were a little shallow. I found it difficult to form an imp
Colin David
This is the second book about Max Camara, a senior detective on the Valencia Police Force. Excellent characterisations and a good plot line gives us an insight into the lives of people living in this part of Spain. Lets hope their are more books to come>
Trevor Utley
It wasn't the type of book that usually enthralls me. Nevertheless, the way that scenes were set and interactions were described made the book flow extremely easy for me. I could put it down for a few days and not have to backtrack at all to remember what was going on.
Maria
Well done. Webster apparently knows Valencia well giving the reader a glimpse of the city and the forces of bureaucracy vs. Valencianos trying to save the old city. Very entertaining, especially if you have visited Valencia.
Tuck
Mar 20, 2013 Tuck added it
Shelves: noir, spain
#2 mystery novel with max cAmara, murder detective in valencia with the national police (as opposed to the guardia civil, the local police and the rural police and the army secret police) and deals with abortion, coastal development , valenician and national politic, the pope visiting, how to make paella, and murder of course. a bit more coherent than his 1st mystery ('the bull kills you" ) and we understand a bit more why this cop smokes massive amounts of dope, and booze and pills, and everybo ...more
Simon
An excellent read. Enjoyed thoroughly. Real characters with depth. Engaging background of Spanish culture. Difficult put down
Ana Menendez-tuckman
The main character is a 40-ish, weed-smoking chief inspector suffering from depression and mysterious women problems that never quite get resolved. The plot deals with socio-economic, religious and political issues that end with an overly explained but expected solution. The best part of the book is that I learned the different categories of paella in the Valencian dialect: bo (good), rebo (very good), mel (excellent) and de categoria (extraordinary). There is nothing lower than bo because there ...more
Dana Gynther
Over the years, the sub-category of Women's Fiction has sometimes made me wonder what Men's fiction might be. This book would be a prime example. Written in what could be considered a masculine style, we have our classic "loner" detective, complete with flaws and hero complex, who wakes with a woody, does a nipple-check at the beach, goes to a brothel, and struggles with the idea of abortion, because of how it makes all those would-be fathers feel. Alas, a bit too manly for me.

Deanna also on Leafmarks because I miss Marco
3 1/2 stars. My first Jason Webster book. He paints a picture of Valencia that feels so real, one I can really see. He wastes no words but puts in what is needed. Camara is a complex character, not all good. He is a good homicide detective. I do not like his drug use. Hopefully he will find love in future books.
Gina
An interesting mystery set in Valencia, Spain. A restaurant owner has been murdered and there could be connections to City Hall or an unscrupulous construction company. In order to solve the case it will be necessary to research events from the past.
Jayw
Nov 25, 2012 Jayw added it
Valencia's top paella chef has been murdered. The leading abortionist has disappeared, maybe at the hands of the Guardia. Max Camara, the Policia Nacional's most bitter and cynical homicide detective is on the case.
Jim
Great political mystery about Valencia, its "paella", and the characters that make it a disfunctional but utterly spanish postcard. Awesome insight into the culture and city. Can't wait to see what Webster does next.
Sherry
Not a bad book. Just not my style. I had a tough time getting through the book because I didn't care about the detective, the dead guy, the Pope or anyone else in the book. The politics just didn't do it for me.
Lisa Radloff
This was a first reads win. I enjoyed it immensely. I liked the character Camara. It was an interesting detective novel and I am looking forward to more from Jason Webster.
Karen Rye
I like this book. And I like Cámara. Nicely woven detective fiction without being procedural in approach. Lot of fun.
Miguel Ángel Moreno
Leído en inglés. Una novela policiaca MUY ambientada en Valencia. El autor vive en Valencia.
Hermien
Thoroughly enjoyable police detective story set in Valencia.
Al Stoess
Oct 31, 2012 Al Stoess rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Dull. Boring. Learned more about Spain than I wanted to know.
Amy
An okay police procedural. I liked the modern Spanish politics.
Victor
This book gave me a big desire to have paella.
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Will Wild
Will Wild is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Ignorance of Blood (Javier Falcon, #4)
  • Kingdom of Strangers (Nayir Sharqi & Katya Hijazi #3)
  • Graveland
  • The Spanish Game
  • Severina
  • The Islands
  • The Infidel Stain
  • Little Criminals
  • A Visit to Don Otavio
  • In the Beginning Was the Sea
  • Ranchero (Nick Reid, #1)
  • The Ways of Evil Men
  • The Summer of Dead Toys (Inspector Salgado #1)
  • A Young Man's Guide to Late Capitalism
  • Another Time, Another Life (The Fall of the Welfare State, #2)
  • Venere privata (Duca Lamberti, #1)
  • All Involved
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)
Jason Webster is a highly acclaimed Anglo-American author and authority on Spain whose work ranges from biography to travel, crime fiction and history. His books have sold in over a dozen countries, including the US, the UK and China, and have been nominated both for the Guardian First Book Award and the Crime Writers’ Association New Blood Dagger Award. He has been favourably compared with writer ...more
More about Jason Webster...

Chief Inspector Max Cámara (3 books)
  • Or the Bull Kills You
  • The Anarchist Detective: (Max Cámara 3)
Duende: A Journey Into the Heart of Flamenco Or the Bull Kills You Andalus: Unlocking The Secrets Of Moorish Spain ¡Guerra!: Living in the Shadows of the Spanish Civil War Sacred Sierra: A Year on a Spanish Mountain