Start by marking “A Death in Valencia (Max Cámara, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Death in Valencia (Max Cámara, #2)

A Death in Valencia (Chief Inspector Max Cámara #2)

A Death in Valencia is the electrifying second Max Cámara Valencian crime novel from Jason Webster, author of Or the Bull Kills You.

Max Cámara is feeling low. Ominous cracks have appeared in the walls of his flat; the body of a well-known paella chef has been washed up on the beach; there are rows and threats about abortion clinics in anticipation of the Pope's visit to Va
Published September 18th 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published June 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Death in Valencia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Death in Valencia

Paromjit
Mar 02, 2016 Paromjit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great crime fiction story located in Valencia. Chief Inspector Max Camara is hunting a murderer who has killed a renowned local paella chef who washed up on the local beach. There is plenty of intrigue and political corruption as it emerges that he was heavily involved in fighting the development plans for the local area that would have closed his business and home.

In the meantime, Camara's flat and the building he lives in collapses. Two people die and everyone is out to evade blame
Sid Nuncius
Nov 18, 2015 Sid Nuncius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book surprisingly hard going for much of it's length. It is well written and has a good deal to say about modern Spain and the attitudes and rivalries which compete there, but as a story it took a very long time to get going and by page 100 I thought it was heading for 3 stars at best. In fact it picked up quite well and the second half of the book did draw me in and made it worth reading.

I think my problem with the book is that it is largely about Spanish politics: the struggle bet
Aubrey Davis
Aug 29, 2012 Aubrey Davis rated it really liked it
A deep mystery in Sunny Valencia, dark & quirky characters, flashing with insight. A fine read.
Sandra Danby
This is a book about more than a singular death, it is an exploration of the nature of death and what constitutes murder. Max Cámara, the Valencia detective introduced in Or The Bull Kills You, cannot sleep: his street is being dug up as the new Metro line is being built, the summer heat pulsates, and Valencia is crazy as it prepares for the arrival of the Pope.
The city buzzes with pro- and anti-Catholic emotions, with pro-life and pro-choice campaigners lining up their arguments for the Pope. M
Janet
Aug 18, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read-wins
I won a copy of A Death in Valencia in a GoodReads give-away.

I usually select books based on A - the author (if I've enjoyed their previous books) B - the book's blurb (if it sounds intriguing) or
C - recommendation from friends/family (but usually, I'm the one making recommendations). I entered to give-away based on the book's blurb as I had never heard of Jason Webster.

But now that I have, I'll keep my eyes open looking for more of his books...and I hope there will be a lot more.

At just over 20
Sharon
Jan 23, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in the Max Camara series and just as fast paced as the first. While Or The Bull Kills you dealt with bullfighting and its culture old and new. This second book features paella and anti or pro abortion clinics as the main flow coming to a head during a visit by the Pope, all threads that weave in and out again present the various government and municipal authorities playing major roles. Various police groups ...not often working together.....town hall again with its reign over the city wre ...more
John Brooke
Jun 23, 2013 John Brooke rated it liked it
American born, Britain-raised author Jason Webster resides in Spain and was first known as a travel writer. With the creation of Chief Inspector Max Camara, Webster set off in new directions. His first crime novel Or the Bull Kills You, was well received. A Death in Valencia is his second, and my first try with Max.

Webster paints a vivid mural depicting a deeply Catholic, very corrupt city of Valencia on the southern Mediterranean coast – touted as the paella capital of the world. Upon this canv
Kevin Lallah
Aug 15, 2013 Kevin Lallah rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of Mr. Webster, having read Duende, Andalus and Guerra. So naturally, I couldn't resist the lure of "A Death In Valencia"
I enjoyed the story. Some original stuff: the death of a paella chef, the protagonist's apartment collapsing, an insight into Valencia's murky world of politics and venal characters clinging onto memories of Franco's fifty year reign.
However, I've given it three stars, mostly because I felt the characters were a little shallow. I found it difficult to form an imp
Colin David
Aug 04, 2014 Colin David rated it really liked it
This is the second book about Max Camara, a senior detective on the Valencia Police Force. Excellent characterisations and a good plot line gives us an insight into the lives of people living in this part of Spain. Lets hope their are more books to come>
Trevor Utley
Apr 20, 2015 Trevor Utley rated it really liked it
It wasn't the type of book that usually enthralls me. Nevertheless, the way that scenes were set and interactions were described made the book flow extremely easy for me. I could put it down for a few days and not have to backtrack at all to remember what was going on.
Maria
May 01, 2014 Maria rated it liked it
Well done. Webster apparently knows Valencia well giving the reader a glimpse of the city and the forces of bureaucracy vs. Valencianos trying to save the old city. Very entertaining, especially if you have visited Valencia.
Tuck
Mar 20, 2013 Tuck added it
Shelves: spain, noir
#2 mystery novel with max cAmara, murder detective in valencia with the national police (as opposed to the guardia civil, the local police and the rural police and the army secret police) and deals with abortion, coastal development , valenician and national politic, the pope visiting, how to make paella, and murder of course. a bit more coherent than his 1st mystery ('the bull kills you" ) and we understand a bit more why this cop smokes massive amounts of dope, and booze and pills, and everybo ...more
Ann Tonks
Apr 06, 2016 Ann Tonks rated it really liked it
This series is definitely on my top detective list. Webster captures the culture, architecture and ambiance of Spain so well.
Simon
Apr 06, 2014 Simon rated it it was amazing
An excellent read. Enjoyed thoroughly. Real characters with depth. Engaging background of Spanish culture. Difficult put down
Diana Eberhardt
Second in this Valencian detective series, full of local color and issues, but a fairly standard murder mystery overall.
Ana Menendez-tuckman
The main character is a 40-ish, weed-smoking chief inspector suffering from depression and mysterious women problems that never quite get resolved. The plot deals with socio-economic, religious and political issues that end with an overly explained but expected solution. The best part of the book is that I learned the different categories of paella in the Valencian dialect: bo (good), rebo (very good), mel (excellent) and de categoria (extraordinary). There is nothing lower than bo because there ...more
Deanna Against Censorship
3 1/2 stars. My first Jason Webster book. He paints a picture of Valencia that feels so real, one I can really see. He wastes no words but puts in what is needed. Camara is a complex character, not all good. He is a good homicide detective. I do not like his drug use. Hopefully he will find love in future books.
Gina
Apr 06, 2013 Gina rated it liked it
An interesting mystery set in Valencia, Spain. A restaurant owner has been murdered and there could be connections to City Hall or an unscrupulous construction company. In order to solve the case it will be necessary to research events from the past.
Jayw
Nov 25, 2012 Jayw added it
Valencia's top paella chef has been murdered. The leading abortionist has disappeared, maybe at the hands of the Guardia. Max Camara, the Policia Nacional's most bitter and cynical homicide detective is on the case.
Jim
Jul 03, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
Great political mystery about Valencia, its "paella", and the characters that make it a disfunctional but utterly spanish postcard. Awesome insight into the culture and city. Can't wait to see what Webster does next.
Sherry
Dec 07, 2012 Sherry rated it did not like it
Not a bad book. Just not my style. I had a tough time getting through the book because I didn't care about the detective, the dead guy, the Pope or anyone else in the book. The politics just didn't do it for me.
Lisa Radloff
Sep 10, 2012 Lisa Radloff rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a first reads win. I enjoyed it immensely. I liked the character Camara. It was an interesting detective novel and I am looking forward to more from Jason Webster.
Karen Rye
Jul 07, 2012 Karen Rye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I like this book. And I like Cámara. Nicely woven detective fiction without being procedural in approach. Lot of fun.
Miguel Ángel Moreno
Leído en inglés. Una novela policiaca MUY ambientada en Valencia. El autor vive en Valencia.
Hermien
Sep 17, 2012 Hermien rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyable police detective story set in Valencia.
Al Stoess
Oct 31, 2012 Al Stoess rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Dull. Boring. Learned more about Spain than I wanted to know.
Amy
Jun 10, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
An okay police procedural. I liked the modern Spanish politics.
Victor
Dec 05, 2013 Victor rated it liked it
This book gave me a big desire to have paella.
Lesley Mcinnes
Lesley Mcinnes rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Maaike Van
Maaike Van marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
  • The Ignorance of Blood (Javier Falcon, #4)
  • The Boy Who Stole Attila's Horse
  • Simone
  • Graveland
  • Kingdom of Strangers (Nayir Sharqi & Katya Hijazi #3)
  • Little Criminals
  • The African Shore
  • Books Burn Badly
  • The Islands
  • A Young Man's Guide to Late Capitalism
  • A Siege of Bitterns (Birder Murder Mystery #1)
  • A Visit to Don Otavio
  • Il tempo invecchia in fretta
  • The Ways of Evil Men (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #7)
  • Ranchero (Nick Reid, #1)
  • In the Beginning Was the Sea
  • Death of a Nationalist (Tejada, #1)
  • Venere privata (Duca Lamberti, #1)
Jason Webster is a highly acclaimed Anglo-American author and authority on Spain whose work ranges from biography to travel, crime fiction and history. His books have sold in over a dozen countries, including the US, the UK and China, and have been nominated both for the Guardian First Book Award and the Crime Writers’ Association New Blood Dagger Award. He has been favourably compared with writer ...more
More about Jason Webster...

Chief Inspector Max Cámara (5 books)
  • Or the Bull Kills You (Max Cámara #1)
  • The Anarchist Detective (Max Cámara #3)
  • Blood Med (Max Cámara #4)
  • A Body in Barcelona (Max Cámara #5)