Start by marking “Luck of the Draw (Xanth, #36)” as Want to Read:
Luck of the Draw (Xanth, #36)

Luck of the Draw (Xanth #36)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Bryce is summoned to Xanth as part of a wager between the Demons Earth and Xanth. To his surprise, he has left behind his home and family and eighty-year-old body forever, in exchange for youth and magic….and a quest. He must court and marry Princess Harmony, who is anything but willing to be courted!

Luck of the Draw is Anthony’s thirty-sixth pun-filled adventure in the ma
Published December 24th 2012 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Luck of the Draw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luck of the Draw

Joan
I need to explain my 4 stars. In this case, 4 stars is not a judgement on literary quality. It is a judgement of how well it fits the genre that it is from. This is excellent fantasy, lots of made up stuff.....(besides the puns I mean) and just plain original stuff. Using a magical pen and sketch pad to defeat a dragon for example. That is creative! I also found Piers Anthony's main character unusual. He is in actuality, an 80 year old man, but becomes about age 21 in Xanth. What a great way to ...more
Jamais
Xanth will always be a weird series to review. //Luck of the Draw// is all about the bets of demons and the mortals involved in them. Bryce is summoned to Xanth in order to compete for the hand of Princess Harmony, the last unwed princess of Xanth, against a crowd of suitors, each with their reasons to be hopeful to win. Bryce has a few tricks of his own, but he will need to be on top of the game in order to win, if that’s what he wants.

There are all of the usual hallmarks of a Xanth series: pun
David Caldwell
This is the 36th Xanth book.

Bryce is 80 years old, not in good health, all of his friends and loved ones have either moved far away or died , and he only expects to live another year or two at most. That is when he discovers a magical one-way portal to the magic land of Xanth. Along with a service dog, Bryce finds himself in a confusing(to him) magical land.He is suddenly 21 years old and in the middle of a Demon bet about winning the hand of 16 year old Princess Harmony. Feeling ill at ease abo
Nancy Cook  Lauer
There's a warm spot in my heart for Piers Anthony, as I cut my sci-fi teeth reading his earliest works. Many decades later, as he nears his 80th birthday, I still love him for his insight into the human psyche. His latest stories, like those by several other authors I have read, have morphed before or after into video games, but they still make for enjoyable reading. I can tell that Anthony in retirement is writing stories for his own amusement. Lucky for us, the ever-present punning make them a ...more
Atman88
I'm always impressed by Piers Anthony's way of pulling me into Xanth and laughing at puns that would normally make me slap my hand on my forehead. This book was self-contained enough to make it feel stand alone, but gave me glimpses of characters I know and love from the other books in the series. I'm about 10 books behind in the series of 36, so I figured I'd just skip ahead to this new release - glad I did... I don't think I missed much, and I'd hate to miss out on new releases if I don't have ...more
Kate
Much better than the last one. This one reminded me of the older books
Nathan Dehoff
An old man named Bryce is made younger, given the power of second sight, and sent to Xanth to participate in a contest for the hand of Princess Harmony. He receives a drawing pad that can make items he draws turn real, and joins up with other suitors to find magical objects throughout the land. Bryce is constantly commenting on how bizarre it is that he’s being considered as a mate for a teenage girl, but is reassured that such a thing doesn’t really matter in Xanth. That’s not what really bothe ...more
Steve
Jan 06, 2013 Steve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Piers Anthony fans, fantasy readers
Recommended to Steve by: Library
Shelves: fantasy, library
I have read all the Xanth series, but I think this would be the best for one to start the series, even though it is #36.

The story begins in "Mundania" (which is quickly explained) with an octogenarian named Brice, and progresses with a short but quite good introduction to the land of Xanth, its inhabitants, magic, geography, flora and fauna.

Once Bryce's Xanthian orientation is complete, a quest is begun, with many puns along the way.

The one caution I would give for any of the Xanth series, is to
Tyger B.
A true master of story telling

As a teen, A friend gave me his books about a world of puns named Xanth. Who knew I would be reading these as an adult. Piers Anthony is a genius at how he weaves his stories and draws his readers in with the Good magician Humphreys challenges. Piers inspired me to write as he has become an unwilling mentor to his legion of fans! I ho pop e to be one tenth as great as this master of prose:)
Jami Leigh
Plot: 3 1/2 stars
Characters: 2 stars
Style: 4 stars
Pace: 4stars

Other than the creepiness factor of an 80 year old guy falling for a teenager, (excused only by the magic of Xanth youthening him to what's merely an uncomfortable 20something, and the fact that the young characters in his book always act and talk like 30 year old women, except momentary "Look at me being childlike" bits...), this is not a bad book. The adventure on this one is a bit better than the last few, and the competition w
Cami
Fun story as are most of the Xanth novels. I'm feeling like this one is almost too full of puns, though. I've always loved Piers Anthony's stories and this one was a good and interesting one. There's quite a long author's note in the back and I found that to be a very interesting read as well.
Lesa Loves Books
Nov 25, 2014 Lesa Loves Books rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Xanth lovers
Am I ever going to stop reading this series? That is what I ask myself every time I start reading the latest Xanth book... because really they just aren't quite as good as they used to be... but then I get ensnared in the punniness and can't escape.

In this one, an 80 year old Mundanian man is transported to Xanth to compete in a quest with other suiters for the hand of 16 year old Sorceress Princess Harmony. He is rejunvenated to age 21 but retains his maturity and memories of life lessons lear
Misty
I love Xanth... but this is not the first book in the series that has grown men kissing little girls & that makes it the last Xanth book I'll be reading. Everything after #30 is just trash.
Patricia
It seems that Piers Anthony is a 21 year old man trapped in an 80 year old man's body. So his solution is to trap an 80 year old man in a 21 year old man's body.

This one followed the Xanth formula with a couple of twists. The main character being from Mundania and the Demon Wager. The end just kind of fizzled out though, like Piers wasn't really sure where he was going with this anymore, so put a period and start the author's note. If you are not already a fan it is best to start at the beginnin
Kirsti
This is while I love my library! After almost a year of debating whether to buy the book before this one online, my library gets this book in (but not the 35th) It's no great secret that the Xanth books are my favorite series ever, and this book was no exception to that. I love how lighthearted they are, how simple it is to find love and your happy ever after. So many of my old favorite character still continue on as secondary characters as well. The author's note tells more of Piers aging unfor ...more
Lbd
Mar 04, 2014 Lbd rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Can anyone say anything bad about Xanth? The Demons are bored again and have another contest set up. Who will be the winner and who really gets the prize? I've enjoyed reading Piers Anthony for a long time and look forward to the next adventure.
Brenda
I have missed the last few Xanth novels, I guess, but stumbled on this one. It is a very good one. For awhile, I only semi-skimmed the Xanth books. I loved the first several, but then it seemed to get old for awhile. This one really held my attention, though. The Author's Note at the end is very touching. He speaks about his daughter who died and aging along with his wife. It made me tear up a couple times, and made me realize someday I'll be hearing of the death of Piers Anthony. Bummer.
Roger - president of NBR United - Grace
very good Xanth novel. demon challenge forms the basis of the quest in which bryce an 80 year old fron Mundania become youthened to 21 and goes on a quest to get a suitable magical object for Princess Harmony the last unmarried human princess in Xanth with the other five suitable suitors they work together to get the 6 magical objects as each suitor gets their object they return to the good magician castle. surprises and puns abound in it.
Ricki
Over the last I don't know ow many years, I have read all 36 books in the Xanth series. Some books are better than others, but all are fun to read. I love Xanth and I would just read (and live there!) if it was at all possible. These books are so easy to read and such an enjoyable place to visit. I have no idea how Piers Anthony can keep coming up with the new stories but I'm glad that he has.
Dan
Xanth novel 36 is in keeping with the others. I loved it. Piers Anthony incorporates humor, sometimes very groanable humor, well and keeps the character light and moving.
He has always been one of my top two authors...how does one choose...and why do I need to.
I loved it as expected.
Thank you Mr. Anthony for taking me on another great journey. Now if we could continue the Adept series!!!!!
Dan
Nibrock
The first couple of chapters were hard to get through as they were overfilled with puns in typical Anthony style and it took a while to readjust to Xanth. I really liked the characters and plot of this book. Bryce (an old grumpy man from Mundania) is transported to Xanth to compete for the hand of young Princess Harmony.
Erin
Oct 04, 2013 Erin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: xanth
This is by far the best Xanth book that I have read for awhile. The last several have been really bad. That being said, this still wasn't very good. The puns seemed just to be there without being integrated into the story line. I love this series, but would have to say that it is time to retire the plot line.
Nora
Where but Xanth could an 80 year old man recapture his lost youth, fall in love with a princess (& she with him, of course!), & find an extraordinary talent that makes him powerful and wise? Sounds like wishful thinking on the part of the author to me. Still, pretty enjoyable--if somewhat predictable.
Theresa
Going back to the tried and true nature of Xanth with an mundane entering Xanth for the first time, being exposed to Puns, Princess and Demon wagers with in his first moments. He is at first and foremost repulsed by the Demon wager because of the age difference between himself.
Seth Pederson
All the Piers Anthony books on the shelf at the store do not mean they are in high demand. It means that science fiction lovers, myself now included, have been duped into reading about puns, panties and princesses once too often -- and so now they collect dust.
Stephen
Fun frolic. A quick read.
Harry Lane
YA fantasy. Anthony writes an amusing tale that provides a pleasant few hours of pure escapism. My general sense is that he has his tongue firmly in cheek as he creates the droll situations for the protagonists.
Jennie
I always enjoy the Xanth books, and Piers Anthony is one of my favorite authors. This is another great addition to a wonderful fantasy series. I hope the Xanth "trilogy" never ends!
Jami
It has been awhile since I have been to Xanth. I remember it being more playful. All in all this was a great story. The puns were fan submitted I think I read..
Ann-Marie
I always enjoy Mr. Anthony's books from this series. This one was no exception. I do however recommend starting from the beginning of the series.
  • Myth-Fortunes (Myth Adventures, #19)
  • The Ramal Extraction (Cutter's Wars #1)
  • The Modern Library Writer's Workshop: A Guide to the Craft of Fiction
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
  • Blood of The Sorceress (The Portal, #3)
  • A Tiger's Tale (Call of the Wilde #2)
  • Dragon's Moon (Children of the Moon, #4)
  • Nightbred (Lords of the Darkyn, #2)
  • Dead on Delivery (Messenger, #2)
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • Ring of Fire III
  • Stone Cold (Broken Magic, #2)
  • The Book of Night with Moon (Cats of Grand Central, #1)
  • Hunter's Fall (The Hunters, #13)
  • Enhanced (Brides of the Kindred, #12)
  • To Dance With the Devil (Blood Singer, #6)
  • Amber Brown Is Tickled Pink
  • Silence of the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #13)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)