Start by marking “Foundation's Friends: Stories In Honor of Isaac Asimov” as Want to Read:
Foundation's Friends: Stories In Honor of Isaac Asimov

Foundation's Friends: Stories In Honor of Isaac Asimov

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,355 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
No work of science fiction in the twentieth century captured the imagination of so many readers as the epic future history put forth in the stories and novels of Isaac Asimov.

In this volume, a select group of the Good Doctor's fellow writers explore his astonishing creation from their own unique perspectives—and offer personal tributes to the late, great Asimov some years
Published December 11th 2012 by Tor Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Foundation's Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foundation's Friends

Titus Fortner
Mar 09, 2013 Titus Fortner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
There are 17 short stories:
These stories come in 3, roughly evenly split groups:
1) Stories that didn't even try to reference Asimov or the Foundation universe, and might as well have been in any random book of SciFi short stories. I didn't care for any of these
2) Stories that referenced Asimov or were set in the Foundation universe, but I just didn't like.
3) Stories that were set in the Foundation universe and were enjoyable. Not all of these were crafted equally well, and none were particular
Victor Gibson
May 21, 2014 Victor Gibson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not resist reading other people's reviews of this book to see what they thought, and once more the critics ranged from no stars to four stars. I gave it one star because I was not at all keen on it, since the stories were mostly pretty convoluted and were crafted to find means of not conforming to the three laws of robotics. In order to achieve this the authors had to display considerable ingenuity, but is this enough for the reader? It did not suit me since in some cases i had to keep r ...more
Santosh Bhat
This is a collection of short stories written by some of the best authors in the science fiction genre, to commemorate 50 years of Isaac Asimov's writings.
The tales are mostly set in his Robots - Foundation universe, with a few others with his lesser known mystery and other sci-fi characters.
The stories here are of a hit-and-miss variety, with the best one being "The Originist"by Orson Scott Card, which details the formation of the Second Foundation.
Jon Senn
Dec 09, 2012 Jon Senn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some great stories, some mediocre ones. If you enjoyed the Foundation series and Orson Scott Card's novels, his 60-page story in here is a must-read.
Zoltán
Sep 08, 2013 Zoltán rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rögtön egy vallomással kell kezdenem: a kötetből mindössze az Alapítvány-univerzumhoz (többé-kevésbé) kapcsolódó három novellát olvastam el. Közös jellemzőjük, hogy Asimov mímelése helyett a történeti mellékvágányokat mindhárom szerző bizonyos lélektanilag sem elhanyagolható eszmefuttatások kibontására használta fel.
Orson Scott Card, The Originist (magyarul általában Az eredetkutató címen hivatkoznak rá) című írása az emberi párkapcsolatok helytől és kortól független univerzáléira összpontosít,
Susie
Jun 19, 2014 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Asimov, but some of the stories were quite entertaining.
Yougo
Mar 06, 2013 Yougo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I was pretty disappointed in this particular book I knew it was a series of short stories going in, however due to the title, I assumed that they would center around the foundation series. Only about 1/3 do. The remainder might be robot stories (yeah, the robot series is loosely tied to Foundation) and several other general fiction stories. Some of the stories were good/interesting, some were just weird. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have skipped it.
Jeremiah Johnson
Most of the stories in this collection are utter garbage. There are a couple that were decent enough to push this to two stars, but they weren't good enough to recommend this book to anybody. If you're going through the Foundation Universe, stick to Asimov's work and avoid anyone else's like the plague.
Ryan
Jan 29, 2011 Ryan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I read the story "The Originist" in this collection, by Orson Scott Card (of the Ender's series fame) and it resonated with me for reasons I won't go into here.

The story in question deals with the beginnings of the Second Foundation...
Prenex
Jul 24, 2016 Prenex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Egész jó volt. Card írása és a Betonpréris fejezet is tetszett (bár korábban az utóbbi címe elbátortalanított eredetileg) és több másik író is egészen jót ad át ebben a válogatásban.
Christopher
Stories based on the universe of Asimov's Fondation. Too bad they're only novels, some of them would be worth 500 pages! (e.g. 'The Originist', great)
Jenia Rand
Mar 16, 2013 Jenia Rand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
PAPPI by Sheila Finch was my favourite of the bunch. It made me cry.
Shon Rand
Feb 08, 2013 Shon Rand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Some really good shorts and some so-so ones. Generally a good volume.
bluetyson
Foundation's Friends: Stories in Honor of Isaac Asimov (1997)
Timothy
Jul 15, 2012 Timothy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Have yet to find this book.
Mr
Mr marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Tom Farrell
Tom Farrell marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Chris Rei
Chris Rei rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Saku Hyttinen
Saku Hyttinen marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Severmihail
Severmihail marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Daniel Russ
Daniel Russ rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Steven Fox
Steven Fox marked it as to-read
Chirag
Chirag rated it really liked it
Robert Knudsen
Robert Knudsen rated it it was amazing
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Phil Ellenberger
Phil Ellenberger marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
  • Cyborg (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #3)
  • Odyssey (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #1)
  • Utopia (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #3)
  • Gold: The Final Science Fiction Collection
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy, #3)
  • Suspicion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #2)
  • The Norby Chronicles (Norby, #1-2)
  • The World at the End of Time
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy, #1)
  • Refuge (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #5)
  • Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy, #2)
  • Infinite Dreams
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • Expanded Universe
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...