The Gemini Virus
read excerpt

The Gemini Virus

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Bob Easton thinks he has a cold. Before he dies in agony, four days later, he infects dozens of people. Local health agencies become quickly overwhelmed by the sick and dying and beg the CDC for help. Dr. Michael Beck and Cara Porter, a member of the Epidemic Intelligence Service, race to identify the deadly bug. They can't cure it until they know what it is.

Dennis and And...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Forge Books

Jan Schwartz
"OMG, this is gross!" I found myself exclaiming before I even finished the prologue. Yet, I couldn't put this book down. I had to find out what happened next!

Do you have a strong stomach?

I don't know about you but the last time I had the flu and thoughtlessly uttered, "I just wanna die," this isn't what I had in mind. Author Wil Mara brings the misery of the flu together with the fear of some unknown pathogen that ends in complete madness and death to a whole new level.

First you start sneezing...more
Frank Errington
Aside from being a pretty good Texas Hold-Em Tournament player, Wil Mara writes an excellent disaster novel.

Wil and I met at Bally's poker room a few years ago and wound up splitting the pot that day with a few other players.

I found Wil to be an affable guy and I wound up buying a copy of his first disaster novel, Wave, about a tsunami that hits Long Beach Island. That was a great story and I found his writing style to be very readable and compelling.

Since then, I've been asking when the next "d...more
drey
Well, if you’re looking for a book that’s good at giving you the complete heebie-jeebies, without any of the crazy apocalyptic world-is-coming-to-an-end scenarios, then definitely pick this one up. Or maybe I’m wrong, and this is a crazy apocalyptic world-is-coming-to-an-end scenario…

In any case, this is so not how I would want to go – with my insides boiling up, pus boils exploding all over, going completely mad, and infecting everyone I barely breathe on. Sounds like a party, huh? *shudder* I’...more
Book Twirps
I like my horror/thriller books. I like zombies and ghosts and things that go bump in the night, but the one thing that scares me more than anything is a viral outbreak. I’m not talking about a zombie virus (though, I must admit, that would be pretty friggin intense), I’m talking the realistic ones (ie: Swine flu, SARS, Bird flu) the kind that if not caught soon enough can spread like wild fire and infect and kill thousands. Now, luckily (or maybe I should say so far), the aforementioned viruses...more
Stefanie Tina
Spine-tingling Medical Thriller
I have always been drawn to medical thrillers, so The Gemini Virus is right up my alley. As someone who catches everything, I am relieved that this book is fiction because I wouldn’t stand a chance. I read it in two days and can’t remember the last time I had the desire or the time to get lost in a book.

From page one, I was hooked and couldn’t put the book down. Connecting with the authentic characters, I felt a loss for each person who died. The graphic descripti...more
Kari
Ok, if I could give this 4.5 stars I would.
What I love about Mara's writing are his characters. He makes every one of them believable and you absolutely want to know what is going to happen to them. In this book Mara weaves a tale of a virus that plagues the earth killing off 95%+ of the population. In particular it follows one typically american nuclear family living in the suburbs. Mom, Dad, two kids, dog, picket fence, you get the idea. It also follows the CDC agents assigned to the case. I...more
Kelly Sternberg
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the genre. Bringing us a page-turner from the very beginning, Mara incorporates believable characters, realistic virus symptoms and descriptions, a modern day setting, psychological horror, gruesome details, and several plot twists. Not for the squeamish or faint of heart, this book will cause you to never be able to look at a supermarket, common household items, or cozy cabins in the woods, the same way as before you read it.
Lynda Coker
My first word of caution when reading this book is, don't be munching on your favorite snack when you begin. I'm warning you, if you do, you'll never eat those snacks again because every time you see them you'll be reminded of the first few pages and the gagging reflect will start over again. I'm not kidding! The mere description of how this organism kills is nothing short of retching...

On the up-beat, this is a fast-moving story that will require your full attention. There is, of course, the ti...more
Gerry Lennox
I found this in the laundry room leave-a-book station, during my vacation. I took it to read on the return flight. It filled three hours. It wasn't anything special. The characters were pretty flat, and the story was predictable. I'd call it a bag of chips kind of read.

I imagine it will be made into a feature film any day now.
Sue Anne
First you sneeze, then you die. It had me at that. I read the first few chapters and was really caught up in the story. I threw the book in my carryon bag to read on my flight to Disneyland. When I left Disneyland I had managed to catch, you got it a cold! First you sneeze, then you die, not good reading material when you feel like that's exactly what's happening to you! First you sneeze then you die keep staring at me from my bedside table daring me to pick it up and finish it. I did finally mu...more
Dayle
I really struggled to get through this one. I was completely with it up till about pg 100 and then it just splintered into to many different places. I really wished it would have stayed with Beck and followed his detective work and learned more about his character, I felt it would have grounded the story and made it more interesting. My main problem though and what really took me "out of the story" was when we started with President Obama. I felt it would have been better with an imaginary Presi...more
Tomm
I really liked this book though it did promote panic attacks while on public transit when someone coughed. It was a quick read and well written. If you're interested in pandemics and books about said topic, I would recommend.
Shelley Fearn
Reminiscent of a Michael Cricton novel, The Gemini Virus finds Dr. Michael Beck of the Centers of Disease Control searching for the origin and source of the mysterious virus that is killing thousands beginning with the population of a small New Jersey city.

With the possibility of unknown viruses wreaking havoc among the world's population more real than we probably know, this fictionalized account of an outbreak is not for the faint of heart. If you like being scared or creeped out you'll find...more
Koji Sakai
Scary book. But ultimately left me wanting more.
Bethany Hyde
I bought this book on a whim at the airport, as I'm a fan of disaster novels, particularly ones with infectious disease. This book, however, didn't do it for me for several reasons. Some of the side effects of the disease were too graphic, unnecessarily graphic (foot in blender - really?!). Also, the book went in depth in some of the science of virology but the spread of the disease seemed unrealistic. And the ending was too neat and tidy; it was not realistic. Overall, not impressed.
Wind
So scary because this, literally, could happen tomorrow!
Christyf64
Good story. Average characters and average writing.
stephanie
Ok

the beginning and even the middle were good but the ending was slow..fell kinda flat in my opinion.just kinda ended

Hatezel
Listened to it on audio, hand washing has been increased..
Amy Adinolfi gilvarry
If you like medical/epidemiological books (which I do) then you will love this! I could not put it down it is a page turner and a scenario which can really occur as well. (That was a chilling thought the whole time.)
Lisa
Very eerie, graphic and gross. Great writing but so far fetched and corny at the end.
Jennifer Golden
Germs, No cure, Death...oh my. Love the books that don't let everyone live happily ever after. Who will live, who will die? You'll have to read it to find out. Nobody is exempt with this virus.
Lorenza
Un’escalation di tensione e di angoscia che ogni pagina va aumentando sempre più.
Recensione completa qui: http://libridilo.blogspot.it/2014/01/...
Crystal
I think Will Mara did a wonderful job with this book. Definitely very suspenseful and it was quite sad as well. I reccomend it to all my microbology nerds to read this book. I enjoyed it!
Kareemah
Great beginning, sadly predictable ending.
Very disappointed.
And totally put off Beef stew for a while.

Also, Will Mara should not read his own books on audio.
Maribel
Creatively written. The mystery. The horror. The clinging of normalcy was wonderfully done. I hope this book becomes a motion picture that is as good as this book.
Selinalynn
nice read. I liked the descriptions of the virus and the CDC's handling. I think I may have even learned a few new words.
iprak
The book was okay. I just read as any other outbreak story though. I wouldn't read it over again though.
This book was really good. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Very suspenseful and well thought out.
Janet
Robin Cook has nothing to worry about. I gave up before I was halfway through.
Book Giveaways: Win The Gemini Virus! 1 5 Oct 18, 2012 01:42PM
Wil Mara has been publishing books for the last 25 years. He began with nonfiction for school libraries, moved into children's fiction by ghostwriting five of the popular ‘Boxcar Children Mysteries,' then into adult fiction with his 2005 disaster thriller, Wave, which won the New Jersey Notable Book Award. The next disaster novel, The Gemini Virus, was released in October 2012 to rave reviews by c...more
More about Wil Mara...
Frame 232 Wave The Draft Anne Frank Laura Ingalls Wilder (Rookie Biographies)