Start by marking “A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #2)

A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane #2)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  4,091 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews
Sixty years after Dorothy L. Sayers began her unfinished Lord Peter Wimsey novel, Thrones Dominations, Booker Prize finalist Jill Paton Walsh took on the challenge of completing the manuscript—with extraordinary success. "The transition is seamless," said the San Francisco Chronicle; "you cannot tell where Sayers leaves off and Walsh begins."

"Will Paton Walsh do it again?"
Published November 27th 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

Susan
Feb 04, 2017 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having greatly enjoyed, “Thrones, Dominations,” I was keen to read the second in the Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane series, continued by author Jill Paton Walsh. This begins in 1939, with England in the early days of the Second World War. Lord Peter is away on a dangerous mission overseas and Harriet has closed up the London house and retreated to Talboys with her two sons, Bredon, aged three, and Paul, who is nearly one. She also has the care of the children of Charles and Mary Parker; Char ...more
Grace Tjan
"If anybody ever marries you, it will be for the pleasure of hearing you talk piffle."

Set in the early days of WW II, this book is an enjoyable, plausible continuation of the Wimsey-Vane marriage post Busman’s Honeymoon, Sayers’ last complete Lord Peter mystery. Walsh created reasonably faithful versions of both the central characters, but somehow was not entirely successful in recreating the spark between them, which for me has always been one of the most delightful aspects of the series since
Jane Jago
Aug 30, 2016 Jane Jago rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was never going to be anything but five stars methinks.

Another tour de force from Jill Paton Walsh.

I finished this book feeling satisfactorily replete. I really, really like Harriet and Peter. The writing is spare and elegant. The evocation of time and place is spot on. And the storyline is just complex enough to make it interesting.
Hannah
O, fie on you, Jill Paton Walsh! The ersatz Sayers on offer here is about as convincing as a cubic zirconia - for example, the way Walsh spells every damn thing out makes it clear that she doesn't trust her readers to be intelligent, where Sayers alludes to literature without attribution and makes the occasional important point in untranslated French or Latin (placet?). What's worse, reading Walsh's fake Sayers makes me more critical of the real Sayers, to the point of not enjoying it as much. O ...more
Bev
Aug 08, 2011 Bev rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Rendell wondered, "Will Paton Walsh do it again?" My answer? Unfortunately, yes. Paton Walsh does not have the classic background of a Sayers. One of the delights of reading Sayers' work is all the quotations she would sprinkle through the pages. Not just to say, "look what I know" but as a natural part of the characters of Peter and Harriet. Paton Walsh may write very good mysteries of her own...but she really doesn't do Lord Peter well. I've read the Wimsey papers that this story is based ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Jul 17, 2014 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who find Sayers' Lord Peter too perfect
The outbreak of Second World War finds Lord Peter Wimsey’s family — his wife Harriet Vane and their two toddler sons — and Lord Peter’s nieces and nephew moved from London to the relative security of the village of Paggleham in Hertfordshire.

Lord Peter has moonlighted as a pseudo-diplomat for Her Majesty’s Home Office in several of the novels, but, with the outbreak of the Second World War, he spends more time on the Continent than he does in England. So it is Harriet (now more often called Lad
Renee Wolcott
Alas! The Lord Peter Wimsey stories and novels are my favorite mysteries of all time, and Jill Paton Walsh did a beautiful job of completing Dorothy Sayers' unfinished novel, "Thrones, Dominations," after the writer's death. This novel is more completely from Walsh's imagination, and it shows. Its inspiration comes from several short articles and notes that Sayers published during World War II, describing the Wimsey family's challenges. However, its weak plot--Harriet and Peter working together ...more
Jane
Sep 19, 2013 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Where I got the book: my bookshelf.

All in all, this is probably the weakest of the Paton Walsh Wimsey books. Paton Walsh does a reasonable facsimile of Sayers' high-life dialogue, but falls down when it comes to rendering the speech of ordinary people--and this novel puts the Wimseys among the villagers of Paggleham, where Harriet and the children are escaping from the London Blitz while Peter--who, by this time, must be getting a bit geriatric for intelligence work--goes off to Destinations Unk
Rachel
Feb 12, 2008 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A continuation of the Peter Wimsey/Harriot Vane family story. The author finished a manuscript which Dorthey Sayers was working on at the time of her death for the book 'Thrones, Dominions' so I guess she thought she could write another story all on her own. I believe there are elements of the story that she has says Sayers was working on so it isn't entirely her own work. However, she just isn't Dorthey Sayers and can't write as well.
Caroline
Oct 07, 2007 Caroline rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to say it, but this book is barely worth the time. The murder plot is lame and overly complicated (think HAVE HIS CARCASE but without Sayers' wit to save the day). And what is up with Walsh messing up the kids' names? Surely a little research wasn't beyond her?
Gretchen
Feb 08, 2015 Gretchen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sigh. It's just not Sayers. It lacks the sparkle, the wit, the new and evolving facets of Peter and Harriet's characters that mark each book. This is imitative, and while proficient in certain respects, it is not original and so disappoints.
Katie
Jan 08, 2017 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Thrones, Dominations, but it's still doing the job.
Brenda Clough
I find it difficult to believe that these people really are Lord Peter and Harriett.
Angela Mitchell
I read somewhere that Jill Paton Walsh was such a fan of Harriet Vane's that Gaudy Night inspired her to attend Oxford. It's a wonderful little detail, and I love hearing stuff like that.

But unfortunately for me as a Lord Peter Wimsey fan, it seems that Walsh's identification with Harriet means that Lord Peter is being winnowed out of her version of Sayers's stories almost completely.

So once again, as with Walsh's Sayers continuation Thrones, Dominations, we have a solid, competently written bo
May
Mar 13, 2010 May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries by Dorothy Sayers, and I was cautiously optimistic when I discovered that there were additional mysteries written by Jill Paton Walsh based loosely on notes written by Dorothy Sayers. There generally has not been a good track record of sequels of this sort, but the Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane series seems to be an exception.
The mystery set in this book mostly falls to Harriet Vane to solve, but all of your favorite characters are there, from
LJ
A PRESUMPTION OF DEATH (Trad Mys-Harriet Vane-England-WWII) - Ex
Walsh, Jill Payton and Dorothy L. Sayers – Last in series (EMBRG Selection)
New English Library Ltd, 2003, US Paperback – ISBN: 978-0340820674

It’s WWII and Lord Peter is away on a mission. Harriet has moved the household to the country for safety. Emerging from shelter after an air-raid, the body of a land-girl is found in the street. It wasn’t bombs that killer her, but a quick lethal physical killing. The local police superintenden
Reds_reads
Another book with author credits for both Sayers and Paton Walsh, this is really Paton Walsh's but draws on Sayers's letters for the circumstances of Peter and Harriet's life at the start of WWII.

The story is set in the early days of the war, Harriet and the children are living in Talboys, Peter is away at the start on intelligence work. One night as the village practices the procedures for an air raid, a Land Girl is murdered. Harriet is asked by the police to help with the investigation.

It is
Sequelguerrier
Jan 29, 2012 Sequelguerrier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: who-dunnit
After finishing an unfinished Sayers draft in Thrones and Dominations, Paton Walsh bases herself on published Sayers articles to create this one and succeeds rather well. We are very much in the world of Busmans Honeymoon mixed with that last glimpse of Lord Peter and family that Sayers provided in the short story Talboys. We find Harriet and the kids, including Mary and Charles Parker's two evacuated from London to Talboys in the early days of WWII. The phony war is captured nicely and so are t ...more
Kim
Mar 18, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
I've been on a Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane binge lately. Over the past few weeks I've read all of the Sayers novels involving them. That is, I've re-read the ones that Dorothy L Sayers wrote, and then started reading the Jill Paton Walsh continuations. I quite liked Thrones, Dominations, althougth I didn't think it was entirely successful. This one I liked much more. I enjoyed the evocation of the early WWII years and felt that Paton Walsh portrayed Peter and Harriet in a way which was true to ...more
Brittany
Jul 10, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally I am dead-set against authors continuing the efforts of another author. However, there are always exceptions, and Jillian Walsh is one of them.

A Presumption of Death is a very fast, satisfying read. I do enjoy Harriet Vane, and Walsh does an almost-seamless job picking up where Sayers left off. The part of the book I thought felt least Sayers-like, the letters (I thought they came off too forced) turns out to be the only part entirely written by Sayers, so that goes to show how much I
Janieb
May 17, 2010 Janieb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jill Paton Walsh has done an amazing job in bringing the characters in this story to life, after residing for such a long time in Dorothy Sayer's notebook.
A really well-developed plot, with great insights into the lives of the different classes of people living through the war in Britain. Well-strewn with red herrings, the ending was a complete surprise.
My only question was whether or not the morse code was deciphered - what messages had been sent?

Definitely worth reading this one!
Ellen
Dec 18, 2009 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homefront, mystery
With Thrones and Dominations and Presumption of Death, Jill Paton Walsh manages to accomplish two demi-miracles--to provide worthy successors to the memorable novels of Dorothy L. Sayers and to write a passionate account of a marriage between two intellectual equals. I particularly enjoyed the second novel, set in a village in wartime England. Lord Peter is off on a secret mission and Harriet is not only keeping the home fires burning, but investigating a murder of a land girl whose unsolved dea ...more
Lisa
The second Wimsey/Vane book authored by Jill Paton Walsh as successor to Dorothy Sayers--and it's even better than the first (Thrones, Dominations). A great plot with an interesting mystery, a look at life on the "British home front" during WWII, and unforgettable scenes with Bunter and of Harriet decoding a message that could save Peter's life. Brava!
Janet
Jul 25, 2008 Janet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not bad as a continuation of Sayers' great series. Walsh does a great job bringing Lord Peter and Harriet to life, a so so job on other characters, and not such a great job on the mystery. I did enjoy the evocation of war time England, but it was overdone until it started feeling a bit like a lecture disguised as a novel.
Emily
Feb 29, 2012 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh, she's not Sayers by a long shot, but it's not too bad.

The characters aren't Sayers. They're random people with Sayers' character names. The plot is pretty thin, and all the wartime "historical" stuff didn't really add anything.

Pretty disappointing overall. I would not recommend this to a Sayers fan looking for more of the same.
Craig
Sep 21, 2009 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not enough Wimsey in this one. Sounds like Walsh had much less of Sayers' writing to go on than with Thrones, Dominations and it shows all around.

Re-read - listened 4/15. Liked it better this time. Upping from two to three.
Joanne Gass
I loved all of the Peter Wimsey mysteries by Dorothy Sayers. This "completed" posthumous final one is not worth the time. Don't recomment it.
Jane
Sep 27, 2009 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jill paton bring on more in the Sayers style!
Kathy Davie
Jan 07, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, history
Second in the Lord Peter Wimsey / Harriet Vane secondary historical mystery series that carries on from the original Lord Peter Wimsey series by Dorothy Sayers.

My Take
There's a subtle difference between this story and Thrones, Dominations . And it could well be just my imagination not believing that Walsh could do as well as Sayers. It is a cleverly written story. Walsh has used a series of letters Sayers wrote for the Spectator as the bones for this story. And I'm most grateful.

I did thoroughl
Alexandra
Dec 27, 2016 Alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, Jill Paton Walsh, for continuing the Lord Peter Wimsey series so beautifully and lovely. I enjoyed this story tremendously, the sleuthing, the background, the loving relationship between Mylord and Mylady, the children, the family, the neighbours... it was wonderful to read and I am happy there are more of my favorite suspense series even though Dorothy L. Sayers is gone. You did great, thank you again!
  • Thrones, Dominations (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane #1)
  • Light Thickens (Roderick Alleyn, #32)
  • The Unfinished Clue
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)
Jill Paton Walsh was born Gillian Bliss in London on April 29th, 1937. She was educated at St. Michael's Convent, North Finchley, and at St. Anne's College, Oxford. From 1959 to 1962 she taught English at Enfield Girls' Grammar School.

Jill Paton Walsh has won the Book World Festival Award, 1970, for Fireweed; the Whitbread Prize, 1974 (for a Children's novel) for The Emperor's Winding Sheet; The
More about Jill Paton Walsh...

Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane (4 books)
  • Thrones, Dominations (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane #1)
  • The Attenbury Emeralds (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #3)
  • The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #4)

“Where there’s a will there’s relations. Misquoted from the Book of Proverbs” 0 likes