Start by marking “The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims” as Want to Read:
The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The Islamophobia Industry reflects the rising tide of anti-Muslim feeling sweeping through the United States and Europe.

Lean takes us inside the minds of the manufacturers of Islamophobia – a highly-organized enterprise of conservative bloggers, right-wing talk show hosts, evangelical religious leaders, and politicians, united in their quest to exhume the ghosts of Septemb
Published September 18th 2012 by Pluto Press (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Islamophobia Industry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Islamophobia Industry

Mark Jacobsen
This is an important addition to the cultural conversation about Islam in America. I follow this conversation with interest, because as a graduate student in Jordan, I wrote my master's thesis about different narratives about Islam in the United States. In particular, I focused on the relationship between language and power. I read dozens of books from across the spectrum, from Islam's most ardent defenders to its most vitriolic critics. My research confirmed by sense that so much of the debate ...more
Morteza
Nathan Lean's The Islamophobia Industry is a must-read however he failed to see that Islamophobia is not only the result of the American right-wing Zionism, the New Atheists have also greatly contributed to that industry i.e. not only David Horowitz but also Sam Harris!
Christopher Roberts
This is a good introduction to this subject but I wish it did not limit itself to the right wing. There is certainly a lot of Islamophobia in the "New Atheist" movement.
Arabvoicesspeak Jarrah
This is a must read book if you want to know who is behind creating hate in USA against Islam and Muslims. I had the author on my live radio show. You must listen! And you must buy the book and give to American friends as a gift.
We hate you? How Christian Right and Zionists spread lies about islam? http://www.arabvoicesspeak.com/blog/2...
Becca
Thanks to the author and goodreads for this First Reads giveaway!
Although it's not news to me that some on the right have discovered encouraging fear and paranoia leads to fame and wealth, I still found this book to be a worthwhile read. Lean concisely presents a variety of stories as evidence that conservatives are manipulating the public into an irrational fear of Muslims.
Amy
very well planned and executed. clear and concise links all laid out in a way that would be easily understandable to anyone even if they are not well versed in how islamophobia is used to further political agendas. greatly enjoyed the care that this author took in developing his theories. would recommend to anyone with interest in the religious conflicts.
Chris Smith
Well researched and detailed. Best book I've read on the subject. Nathan Lean has a talent for research and journalism. I highly recommend this book to anyone. It is one I will refer back to over and over.
freedetainees.org
Excellent book, presented very well, a real eye opener that I wish everyone would read.
Arief Wicaksono
Interesting and provoking angles
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Nour Salman
Nour Salman marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Muhammad Syamil
Muhammad Syamil marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Nabil.johani
Nabil.johani marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Alexei
Alexei marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Mattan
Mattan added it
Oct 18, 2014
Pierre A Renaud
Pierre A Renaud marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Richard Prins
Richard Prins marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Margie
Margie marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Osama Iqbal Ahmed
Osama Iqbal Ahmed marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Lichen
Lichen marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Zee1
Zee1 marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Randa
Randa marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Kristin-ameera Crowther
Kristin-ameera Crowther marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Sarmad R
Sarmad R marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
  • Who Speaks For Islam?: What a Billion Muslims Really Think
  • The Thistle and the Drone: How America's War on Terror Became a Global War on Tribal Islam
  • Western Muslims and the Future of Islam
  • Islam and the Blackamerican: Looking Toward the Third Resurrection
  • Progressive Muslims: On Justice, Gender, and Pluralism
  • Daughters of Another Path: Experiences of American Women Choosing Islam
  • Islam without Extremes: A Muslim Case for Liberty
  • Covering Islam: How the Media and the Experts Determine How We See the Rest of the World
  • Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People
  • Rethinking Muslim Women and the Veil: Challenging Historical & Modern Stereotypes
  • History of Islamic Philosophy
  • My Isl@m: How Fundamentalism Stole My Mind---and Doubt Freed My Soul
  • Gaza Writes Back (#1)
  • The Israel-Arab Reader: A Documentary History of the Middle East Conflict
  • Muslims and Jews in America: Commonalities, Contentions, and Complexities
  • Engaging the Muslim World
  • شتات اليهود المصريين
  • Sexual Ethics And Islam: Feminist Reflections on Qur'an, Hadith, and Jurisprudence
Nathan Lean is an author and scholar of Middle East studies. He has written extensively about Islam, American foreign policy, national politics, and global affairs. He is co-author of Iran, Israel, and the United States: Regime Security vs. Political Legitimacy and is a contributing writer at PolicyMic. He is editor-in-chief of Aslan Media and currently resides in Washington, D.C
More about Nathan Lean...
The Moral Psychology of Terrorism: Implications for Security