Start by marking “The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims” as Want to Read:
The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

The Islamophobia Industry: How the Right Manufactures Fear of Muslims

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The Islamophobia Industry is a disturbing account of the rising tide of Islamophobia sweeping through the United States and Europe.

Nathan Lean takes us through a world of conservative bloggers, right-wing talk show hosts, evangelical religious leaders and politicians, all united in their quest to exhume the ghosts of 9/11 and convince their compatriots that Islam is the en
Published August 15th 2012 by Pluto Press (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Islamophobia Industry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Islamophobia Industry

Mark Jacobsen
Feb 26, 2013 Mark Jacobsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an important addition to the cultural conversation about Islam in America. I follow this conversation with interest, because as a graduate student in Jordan, I wrote my master's thesis about different narratives about Islam in the United States. In particular, I focused on the relationship between language and power. I read dozens of books from across the spectrum, from Islam's most ardent defenders to its most vitriolic critics. My research confirmed by sense that so much of the debate ...more
Morteza
Mar 21, 2014 Morteza rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partly-read
Nathan Lean's The Islamophobia Industry is a must-read however he failed to see that Islamophobia is not only the result of the American right-wing Zionism, the New Atheists have also greatly contributed to that industry i.e. not only David Horowitz but also Sam Harris!
Christopher Roberts
This is a good introduction to this subject but I wish it did not limit itself to the right wing. There is certainly a lot of Islamophobia in the "New Atheist" movement.
Mike
Nov 04, 2015 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit too rhetorical

The book contains a lot of very good information about the history of bigotry and xenophobia and Islamophobia. It provides a good break down of contemporary currents in Islamophobia and the professional Islamophobes. Unfortunately, it often engages in some name-calling and other rhetorical flourishes that take away from its objective.
Samar Dahmash Jarrah
This is a must read book if you want to know who is behind creating hate in USA against Islam and Muslims. I had the author on my live radio show. You must listen! And you must buy the book and give to American friends as a gift.
We hate you? How Christian Right and Zionists spread lies about islam? http://www.arabvoicesspeak.com/blog/2...
Becca
Jan 21, 2013 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-nonfiction
Thanks to the author and goodreads for this First Reads giveaway!
Although it's not news to me that some on the right have discovered encouraging fear and paranoia leads to fame and wealth, I still found this book to be a worthwhile read. Lean concisely presents a variety of stories as evidence that conservatives are manipulating the public into an irrational fear of Muslims.
Amy
Nov 20, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dcar, 2013, islam
very well planned and executed. clear and concise links all laid out in a way that would be easily understandable to anyone even if they are not well versed in how islamophobia is used to further political agendas. greatly enjoyed the care that this author took in developing his theories. would recommend to anyone with interest in the religious conflicts.
Erdoan A.
Mar 14, 2015 Erdoan A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Well researched and easy to read. Sometimes too much details and people-based stories, which took off the one star.
freedetainees.org
Excellent book, presented very well, a real eye opener that I wish everyone would read.
Arief Wicaksono
Aug 16, 2013 Arief Wicaksono rated it liked it
Interesting and provoking angles
Olivia Katz
Olivia Katz marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Fatematuz
Fatematuz marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Shahirah
Shahirah rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Taymour Siddiqui
Taymour Siddiqui marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Amelia Caraballo
Amelia Caraballo marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Assil Ksiksi
Assil Ksiksi marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Matthew Gault
Matthew Gault marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Hadeer Amr
Hadeer Amr marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Sophia Jamaldin
Sophia Jamaldin rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Rawoyo Abdurrouf
Rawoyo Abdurrouf marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Nelson Radwan
Nelson Radwan rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Rawoyo Abdurrouf
Rawoyo Abdurrouf marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Tori Lange
Tori Lange marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
  • Islamophobia and the Politics of Empire
  • Who Speaks For Islam?: What a Billion Muslims Really Think
  • Rethinking Muslim Women and the Veil: Challenging Historical & Modern Stereotypes
  • The Thistle and the Drone: How America's War on Terror Became a Global War on Tribal Islam
  • American Muslim Women: Negotiating Race, Class, and Gender Within the Ummah
  • Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People
  • Ibn Taymiyah's Essay on the Jinn (Demons)
  • The Hadj: An American's Pilgrimage to Mecca
  • The Israel-Arab Reader: A Documentary History of the Middle East Conflict
  • Secret Affairs: Britain's Collusion with Radical Islam
  • Daughters of Another Path: Experiences of American Women Choosing Islam
  • My Country 'Tis of Thee
  • شتات اليهود المصريين
  • Covering Islam: How the Media and the Experts Determine How We See the Rest of the World
  • Gaza Writes Back (#1)
  • Aftermath: Following the Bloodshed of America's Wars in the Muslim World
  • Hadith: An Introduction (Foundations of Islam)
  • A Short History of Nuclear Folly
Nathan Lean is an author and scholar of Middle East studies. He has written extensively about Islam, American foreign policy, national politics, and global affairs. He is co-author of Iran, Israel, and the United States: Regime Security vs. Political Legitimacy and is a contributing writer at PolicyMic. He is editor-in-chief of Aslan Media and currently resides in Washington, D.C
More about Nathan Lean...