Start by marking “Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause: A Mystery

Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause: A Mystery (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #2)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In Mignon F. Ballard's Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause, life in small-town America during World War IIsprings vividlyto lifeas schoolteacher MissDimple and her fellow townspeople battle valiantly against worry, rationing, and crime at home as well as abroad.

It's September 1943, and the town of Elderberry, Georgia, including their beloved first-grade teacher, Miss Dimple K...more
Published September 18th 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published November 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause

Diane Heath
This is the 3rd or 4th book in a series. It is the first one I have read. Miss Dimple reminds me of Miss Dove (see the old movie) She has taught first grade in this small town in/near Georgia for decades. She lives in a boardinghouse and she solves situations. The problem in this case involve the discovery of a skeleton while on a field trip, the disappearance of War Bond money, and blackmail. The timeframe is mid WWII the setting the homefront. I want to find more books in this series now. It w...more
Gail Cooke
Refreshing, nostalgic, homespun, warm, humorous all describe Mignon Ballard’s evocative descriptions of small town life. With this, the second eagerly awaited story in the Miss Dimple series, we return to Elderberry, Georgia. It is 1943 and the townsfolk are absorbed in news of the war, all fearing a visit from “the boy on the black bicycle who delivered telegrams, and doing everything they can to support their country.

To that end a war bond rally is being planned ( despite many not wishing to...more
Mandolin
Though they expected excitement at their upcoming rally to raise money for the war, the citizens of the town of Elderberry, Georgia certainly didn't expect to be embroiled in a mystery! However, the glories of the parade, humor of the womanless wedding and overall thrill of the war bond rally are overshadowed by the grisly discovery of a corpse in one of the town's small creeks. The discovery is quickly followed by a slew of bewildering events, including the disappearance of some of the bond mon...more
Melissa
Great story, but I wish I had read this 2nd in the series closer to the first book. Many allusions to events that took place in the first book that I could not recall, so make sure you read the books in order and fairly close together. The characters were all so likable...even the "murderer"! I hope there is a 3rd book in the works

"It's September 1943, and the town of Elderberry, Georgia, including their beloved first-grade teacher, Miss Dimple Kilpatrick, has exciting plans for the Bond Rally t...more
Jaxie
I like dabbling in the historic fiction but sometimes that's a rather daunting task so I like to pick books that reflect certain periods of history as a frame of reference while still elaborating on the characters portrayed . Miss Dimple which for some reason reminds me a lot of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple is a strong female and community pillar trying to make the best of the World War II where most young men were being drafted and women have to work extra hard to keep the household going and...more
Sandy
These are quiet books. The mystery tends to not be sensational and it's not the most suspenseful book, but I enjoy this group of characters. I like that all of them help to solve the mystery, it's not just one sleuth who leads the charge.

Lisa
I continue to enjoy this series. The books are "cozies" but do not insult the reader's intelligence. I have really enjoyed the historical setting of a small town in the WWII era and am anxious to continue following the lives of the residents of Elderberry, Georgia.
Antoinette
The second mystery in the Miss Dimple series is set in September 1943 in the small town of Elderberry, Georgia. During a school field trip a teacher discovers a skeleton and then the War Bond money is stolen following a rally. A man is shot and another disappears. Miss Dimple Kilpatrick, teacher of the town's first graders, takes it upon herself to solve the mystery of the skeleton's murderer and the missing money.

This series needs to be read in order, starting with Miss Dimple Disappears. Havi...more
Terri Lynn
I just really didn't like this one very much. I have enjoyed others in the series but somehow this one just didn't have the excitement the others did.
Leanne
Miss Dimple continues to delight. Interesting, believable, quirky characters make this cozy a standout in the genre.
Sue
The small town of Elderberry is far from the excitement of the war in September 1943, but some local excitement occurs when a dead body is found near a local cotton field. First grade teacher Miss Dimple Kilpatrick and her friends try to leave the investigation to the sheriff, but when other mysterious events occur they are drawn in.
In addition to the mysteries, this is a story of wartime romance, life on the home front, and the importance of friendship. This series is a pleasure to read and I a...more
Susan
The little town of Elderberry, GA seems to be in the throes of a crime wave after a body is found buried near a cotton field. Someone shoots an inoffensive store clerk, the genteel boarding house keeper is being blackmailed, and thousands of dollars from a victory bonds rally are stolen. Fortunately, Miss Dimple Kilpatrick, the town's beloved first grade teacher, starts to put things together in her clear-thinking mind, and comes up with some dismaying suspicions.
Olivia
Another cute, homespun story! I noticed some other reviews suggest reading this series close together, and I definitely agree with that. The same characters are used, smaller plot lines are continued, and the story consistently references to events that occurred in the first book. It makes for a fun read! I like that the book is short - it's certainly a quick read. I'm looking forward to finishing the series!
Carol
Jul 15, 2012 Carol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This hardcover book came to me with one other via a Stop! You're Killing Me website giveaway, and the books were provided by publicists at Minotaur Books/St. Martin's Press. Now I have started clearing the decks for summer reading, yes I know - late, I shall soon be able to review both of the books.
Linda
This is a really good Mystery. I would highly suggest the Author to anyone who loves Mysteries. I could not put this one down hardly at all. She has another one called "Miss Dimple Disappears". I love her books. The author's name is Mignon F. Ballard.
Kathy
This was set in the 1940's during WWII. Wonderfully researched. It took you back to the time of rationing and women holding down the home front. Miss Dimple is a Miss Marple like character. She manages to outwit the bad guys.
Millicent
Fun, easy reading about a bunch of interesting characters in a small town who have a murder on their hands. It was set during the beginning of WW11, so I enjoyed reading about people in my parents' generation.
Carol
A fun light read.

Miss Dimple and fellow citizens of Elderberry are preparing for a War Bond Rally. Things become interesting when a skeleton is found, a shot is fired and money becomes missing.
Joanna
Mar 28, 2012 Joanna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction, WWII mystery
This was quite enjoyable to read and not just for the mystery but for the reminders of things of the past. I read phrases or words that my grandparents used and sometimes long ago even my parents.
Wendy
So glad to discover this series set in small town Georgia during WW II. The mystery was good and the characters engaging. I'm waiting on the first book to arrive so I can see what I missed.
Linda Allen
A very good mystery story set in a small town during the Second World War. This is the second in the series, so I'll have to get the first one. Really enjoyed it.
Alysia
A good mystery book set in WWII America. A good, light book to enjoy with good characters.
Lori
An old time type mystery set in WWII; nothing shocking, just old fsahioned setting and old fashioned values. Very relaxing read.
John Clark
A cozy with promise, but it got rather cluttered. I finished it and have added it to our library collection.
Karen
I didn't like the solution: but I always enjoy her books.
Brenda Kirton
Brenda Kirton is currently reading it
Oct 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Mignon Franklin Ballard grew up in a small town in Georgia, and now lives in Fort Mill, South Carolina.
More about Mignon F. Ballard...
Miss Dimple Disappears (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #1) Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1) An Angel to Die For (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery) Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery) The Angel and the Jabberwocky Murders (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)