Start by marking “Those Who Love Night (Abigail Bukula Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
Those Who Love Night (Abigail Bukula Mysteries)

Those Who Love Night (Yudel Gordon #5)

When Abigail Bukula, a young lawyer in the South African Justice Department, learns that the secret son of her aunt, who died in a massacre years ago, has been arrested by the Zimbabwean government, she races to his aid. She’s as determined as ever, but perhaps a bit naive as well. Accused of being a part of the so-called Harare Seven, her cousin is being held as a poli

Published November 13th 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Those Who Love Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Those Who Love Night

Tuck
Sep 28, 2012 Tuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: south-africa, noir
a bit of a police/zimbabwean cia/lawyer procedural combined with south african history, mugabe freedom slash holocaust, and quirky plot of "big man" sexual traditions meeting modern age tribal mixing. about the plot though, too many BIG ASS HOLES and not enough lets-get-on-with-this-thing propulsion. interesting bits about zim prisons, inflation, south african humor and what it's like to drive a car in afria.

i had real problems with this goof ball book and it being so overwrought at times rolle
Maddy
Dec 26, 2012 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
PROTAGONIST: Abigail Bukula, prosecutor
SETTING: South Africa; Zimbabwe
SERIES: #2 of 2
RATING: 3.25

Abigail Bukula is a lawyer in South Africa who is well respected for her assertiveness in court. When she is called by a Zimbabwean lawyer named Krisj Patel to help free seven dissidents (“Harare Seven”) who had been picked up by that country’s Central Intelligence Organization (CIO), she at first says no. The CIO denied taking the dissidents; however, as their reputation for providing violent soluti
Danny
Apr 06, 2012 Danny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first book in this series got rave reviews, so I thought I'd check out this one.

While it was definitely a change from Agatha Christie and P.D. James in some ways, in others it wasn't so far off. The bizarre romantic themes throughout reminded me of some love-lorn Christie characters. Or maybe just movies from the 1940s. I dunno.

The African politics, mostly modern (post-apartheid) South Africa and Mugabe's Zimbabwe, are an interesting setting for a mystery, though this isn't a typical mystery
Monica
I really liked The October Killings, but found this disappointing. The setting was well done - vivid descriptions of life and events in South Africa and Zimbabwe. I liked the characters of Yudel, the prison psychologist, and his wife a lot. Where it fell apart for me was the way Abigail, a strong, intelligent woman, became a total ditz with men - jealous and unsure of herself with her husband, helplessly (well, almost) attracted to the dynamic head of the Zimbabwe Central Intelligence force.

It w
Gina
Apr 01, 2012 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing mystery set in present day Zimbabwe. A successful South African government prosecutor, Abigail Bakula, is asked to assist her long lost cousin. He has been arrested for anti-government activities and has disappeared. She is helped in her quest by an older white South African friend and his wife.
Kate
Feb 28, 2012 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was going to give this 2 stars because it was ok, but in hindsight it wasn't okay at all.

Authors, please don't give me an accomplished (by description) female lead that ends up being weak, silly, attracted to bad men in powerful positions that can buy her things, and entirely dependent on men for any sort of success.

Yay.
Morenike Ayo-vaughan
A perfect combination of romance and mystery. You never see the twists and turns coming. I especially love how Wessel gives us clues in pieces, but we cannot even imagine how they all fit together. Enjoyed this book a lot!
William
Interesting setting of Zimbabwe. Good character development.
Edna
Oct 12, 2012 Edna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it a lot--will read more from Wessel Ebersohn!
Linda
Apr 18, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing situation in a grim and exotic setting (Zimbabwe) but ruined by soap opera-ish narrative. Ending is clunky, as if writer just gave out. Not so good.
Mark Levine
Mar 15, 2012 Mark Levine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More novel than mystery.Deals with the abiguities of life-right wrong truth etc.Details governmental use of THE BIG LIE as perpetrated by dictatorships.
Booknblues
Nov 15, 2015 Booknblues rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, africa, series
A new series, I discovered set in South Africa. Only a few books in the series so far, but each one is quite satisfying.
Susan
Aug 26, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zimbabwe
Not too many Zimbabwean mysteries around - this book I think was informative and interesting, kept my attention - about the realities of life in post-apartheid Africa.
Julie
Oct 24, 2015 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story had an interesting twist but the relationship between the protagonist and the CIO agent was clearly written by a man. The descriptions of her motivations were horrible.
Maryjane Westra
Maryjane Westra rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2014
Stefan
Stefan rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2013
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
May 02, 2012
Bill Berger
Bill Berger rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Margo Tanenbaum
Margo Tanenbaum rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2014
Linette Soberay
Linette Soberay rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Robert Honeyman
Robert Honeyman rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Kathleen McRae
Kathleen McRae rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Sed
Sed rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2014
Fran Caparrelli
Fran Caparrelli rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2012
John
John rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2012
Sally MacLarty
Sally MacLarty rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Nina Wendt
Nina Wendt rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Natalie
Natalie rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2012

Yudel Gordon (5 books)
  • A Lonely Place to Die (Yudel Gordon, #1)
  • Divide the Night