Start by marking “A Death in the Small Hours (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Death in the Small Hours (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #6)

A Death in the Small Hours (Charles Lenox Mysteries #6)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,194 ratings  ·  174 reviews
From Charles Finch,the critically acclaimed author of A Beautiful Blue Death and A Burial at Sea, comes A Death in the Small Hours--an intriguing new mystery in what The New York Times calls "a beguiling series" Charles Lenox is at the pinnacle of his political career and isa delighted new father.His days of regularly investigating the crimes of Victorian London now some y...more
Published November 13th 2012 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about A Death in the Small Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Death in the Small Hours

Cherie
I think the mystery in this book is my favorit part of the series, so far. I loved the setting, out in the country at Uncle Freddy's estate. Charles had been elected to give the opening speach in Parliament when it started up, and Charles spent time writing his speach in between trying to solve the robberies and then a murder that happens in the small town near his Uncles's estate. He was much more the detective in this one, and much more active - riding each day and taking long walks around the...more
LJ
First Sentence: Charles Lenox sat in the study of his town house at Hampden Lane—that small, shop-lined street off Grosvenor Place where he had passed most of his adult life—and sifted through the papers that had accumulated upon his desk, as they would, inevitably, when one became a Member of Parliament.

Charles Lenox, Victorian gentleman, former private investigator, is now married, a new father and a Member of Parliament. He has been given the huge honor of giving the upcoming session’s openin...more
Laurie Ann Silberman
Didn't enjoy this book as much as previous books. There is a continuing theme that the main character misses his detective work but continues down the path of Parliament because he feels he owes it to his friend, family and country. Sometimes I get impatient with the character. He's rich and a gentleman; and he has a gift he is squandering. It feels like he is constantly in mourning for 'what used to be.'

This overshadowed the plot for me and I was disappointed that in the end he elected to conti...more
Arianna
www.shelfnotes.com

Dear Reader,
I was thoroughly charmed by this quintessentially English book. I don’t often read books which are part of a series, particularly not books which are several into a series, but this mystery novel stood quite well on its own. Apart from a few allusions which I believe were inserted for the series’ loyal followers, I didn’t feel like I was missing out on anything by starting on book six of the Charles Lenox mysteries.

Perhaps that had to do with the setting of the boo...more
Sharon
I enjoy this series a lot. It got off to a great start, but one or two in the middle were a little weaker. The one before this was better, and this one is back to being as good as the original. The character development is stronger in this one than in the weaker ones. In this story, Charles Lenox's political career is taking off, and to escape from London for a while, he visits a relative out in the country. While there, he gets pulled into a local mystery, which turn, ultimately, into murder....more
Judy
I want half stars!!! This is one of a series of books about Englishman Charles Lennox, now a member of Parliament and a new father. I have not read any of the others in the series, but might check out the library for one. It was a pleasant read about Victorian England after the Queen's jublilee. Charles would be someone my mother would have liked; the plot holds twists and turns. The characters are never evil, but some are bad and many are humorous. If you're a fan of gentle English myteries, th...more
Edward
Another great book about gentleman and member of Parliament Charles Lennox, whose real calling is detective work. The crime is of course solved, but then suddenly it is not, and the book is a cliffhanger to the end. All of this is painted against the backdrop of Victorian England, including the rich, the poor, city scenes and country vistas. This is the sixth book in the series and all are richly entertaining.
Barbara
It isn't often that I give a series book five stars, but this one, the latest in a very good series, is exceptional. One thing I love about this series is that the main characters change and grow from book to book. This particular one rates a five because the emotional lives of the characters are so well drawn, sincere and heartfelt. The reader truly cares about them and has such hopes for them too.
Barbara
I enoyed this mystery set in Victorian England and the aging dectective very much. The characters are charming and the small village of Pemberley, the main setting, and its inhabitants are delightful. Thank you Judy for lending it to me.
Villager
I remain a fan of this unique detective series featuring a culture and a hero that has absolutely nothing to do with my experiences as a Black man in America. The hero of these mystery novels is Charles Lenox ... member of Parliament in England's Victorian era. This particular episode has our hero in one of his favorite childhood estates (...think Downton Abbey setting...) trying to get some quiet time to right an important speech and trying to solve a local village series of crimes that ends up...more
Sophia
In this installment of the series, time has jumped forward a bit and Lennox is now a proud father, loving husband, settled MP and mentor to John Dallington's amateur detecting. He feels very blessed, but yet he can't help looking at John Dallington with envy as the younger man pursues his amateur detecting and Scotland Yard calls Dallington now. Politics is a career that he does from duty, but detecting was his true vocation. He muses quietly about his life now and looks back on other times.

Then...more
Salina
Summary
This is the 6th book in the Charles Lenox mystery series by Charles Finch and I have read and loved all of them to varying degrees. For someone new to the series, the story is set in Victorian England and tells the story of an amateur detective, Charles Lenox. Over these 6 books, he has progressed from a single man to a married man with a child and into politics. In this story, Charles is taking a break from London in order to write a speech and spends some time with his cousin in the co...more
Norma Huss
Fortunately, I like many kinds of books. That vastly widens my available reads. My very favorite books are mystery, with historic coming in second. But, I also love to follow series characters who become like family to me. So, quite naturally, Charles Finch's books rate three stars before I even open them. Okay, I can't give more than five stars, but this book would rate that as well.

Now, let's get specific. A Death in the Small Hours, most aptly named, has murder, mystery, and danger, like any...more
Linda Baker
A Death in the Small Hours is another pleasant read in the Charles Lenox series by Charles Finch. While not my favorite of the series, I enjoyed both the puzzle and the character development of Charles and Lady Jane.

Charles is now well settled into his role as a Member of Parliament and has been in fact asked to give the opening speech at the upcoming new session. He and Lady Jane also have a new daughter, Sophie. He only occasionally consults with his protege, Dallington, who has largely taken...more
Elizabeth
Oh, Charles Finch, you of the gorgeous silken yellow chair. I do so love these genteel stories, but in this one you really went above and beyond. The OTHER Charles--your protagonist--does some real soul-searching in this one, and therefore I will forgive you the painfully obvious solution to the mystery(ies). What I thought particularly well-done was the descriptions of Charles Lenox's grieving process; his mother has been dead for a decade, but he is still almost unable to speak or think of her...more
Tom Melcior
The lead character, Charles Lenox, is faced with a seemingly harmless bit of village tomfoolery that turns deadly. His unraveling of the mystery, while effectively managed, is not what made me keep turning the pages.

Lenox's sedate world of upper-class English Victorian privilege, his loving, uncomplicated relationship with his wife, his secure social status, his success in Parliament, his untroubled state of mind and his oft-stated complete satisfaction with every aspect of his life, should add...more
George
#6 in the Charles Lenox mystery series set in London. Story open in 1874 with Charles superficially involved in his former private investigation practice and now the father of a 3 month old daughter and a rising member in the House of Commons. His former investigative endeavors has been taken over by his young protege Lord John Dallington, Lenox goes to his cousin's country estate as a vacation and to work on his speech that will open the House of Commons. He soon becomes involved in investigati...more
Sharla
This series by Charles Finch is a nice British cozy series with enough intricacy of plot to keep it interesting. The only fault I might find with this particular book is that he mentions some of the characters who were central to earlier books briefly and the reader might be left wondering why if they have not read the previous books. There really seemed no reason to bring them in if they are not going to be part of the story. I love the main characters and the insight into the workings of parli...more
Babs
I really don't like this series as much as I did in the beginning and I think that is entirely due to Charles Lenox change in profession - from talented amateur detective to member of Parliament. It appears Charles is also regretting his choice, some what. However, there is less of Parliament and more of detection of local vandalism and murder in the town near is uncle's home (really his cousin, but older so was known as uncle)in Somerset.

I also like the evolving relationship with his wife and...more
Ryan Mishap
Those looking solely for a cracking mystery will likely be disappointed in the later tales from this delightful series. For those who wish to lose themselves in Victorian era England with amiable yet real-feeling people engaged in the issues of the time as much as with their family then these are a treat. The detail and language are impeccable (as far as I know, anyway), the writing easy and smooth, and the modern sensibility is there at the edges to keep it enjoyable without making the characte...more
Tina
Because I'm cheap and only buy paperback novels, I have to wait a while to revisit the life of Charles Lennox. These books are always worth the wait and I am never disappointed.
Finch takes us on a scenic, but deadly trip to the English countryside. There are a few unexpected plots twists. Money and power really have a way of corrupting people.
I am especially happy that John Dallington is still available. I would've been disappointed if he married a boring, strict, uptight governess.
Bexbooks
my favorite in the series so far.
Knewmyer
4.5 stars. I love Charles Lenox and his sweet wife Jane. I loved Charles' speech at the end. This is such a wonderful series, one to savor for sure.
Elizabetti
I love the Charles Lennox mysteries. Victorian England, while not my favorite historical era, is without a doubt an exciting time as we slowly see the evolution of the forensic science we know and love. I like the character of Charles and his family and I enjoy learning about Parlimentary procedure as well as day to day living both in the country and "in town." In this book he even touches upon cricket which I haven't thought about since my Australia days.
Patricia
Comforting, elegant, tasteful. More about the evolution of Charles' comfortable life than about the mystery at this point. Captures becoming a parent very aptly. Flawed, as a mystery, yes, especially with the handling of Dallington, but I enjoy the characters and their goodness, which is pleasant and not saccharine. I suspect the next in the series will be more vigorous, one has the sense this is a respite of sorts for the author.
Harry Lane
This is a tidy little mystery set in Victorian England. As a mystery, its clues are obscure and the reader is left wondering til near the end, just as the "detective" is. There are some twists and turns along the way that keep the plot interesting. But where this one truly shines is in the descriptions of the settings in which the action takes place, and the sympathetic portraits of the actors in the drama.
Carolyn
I always enjoy Finch's writing. Then again he is writing about my favorite time period - Victorian. He has a way of leading you on in his writing till before you realize it you've finished. Sad about finishing. His characters are full which makes it more interesting. Actually it is best if you start with his first one and move on... you won't be disappointed. His mysteries are always well crafted.

Julie
It was consistently good as were his others. There is a gentleness to these mysteries that I appreciate, but there is excitement as well, and twists as you try to figure out who is involved. And he catches you up in the lives of his main characters, which results in, what I enjoy as the perfect mystery. I think I liked this one even better as it ventured out of London to a country setting.
Emily Whittenberg
Another well done Charles Lenox novel, the series is always an enjoyable and entertaining read. There are several new and lovable characters, least of all Sadie! I usually pick up some hitherto unknown (to me) historical fact, for instance did you know that umbrellas were made in black due to pollution or that it was law for suicides to be buried at a crossroads with a steak through them?
Nancy MacKneson
A modern day Agatha Christie! A wonderful tale with engaging characters.

There are just enough twists and turns to keep you guessing but not so many that you get confused. I was so engaged in the last few chapters of the book I decided to be late for an appointment rather than put the book down.

I came upon this author just by chance but am looking forward to reading his earlier novels.
Uncle Freddie or Cousin Freddie?? 2 4 Jan 17, 2014 01:05PM
  • Death and the Jubilee (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #2)
  • The Twelve Clues of Christmas (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #6)
  • Beneath the Abbey Wall
  • What Darkness Brings (Sebastian St. Cyr, #8)
  • The Hellfire Conspiracy (Barker & Llewelyn, #4)
  • Tug of War (Joe Sandilands, #6)
  • A Crimson Warning (Lady Emily, #6)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs #10)
  • A Woman of Consequence (A Dido Kent Mystery, #3)
  • The Dead Shall Not Rest
  • An Impartial Witness (Bess Crawford #2)
  • A Lack of Temperance (Hattie Davish Mystery, #1)
  • The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby, #1)
  • Ice Blue
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
  • Pagan Spring (A Max Tudor Mystery, #3)
520296
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

My name is Charles Finch - welcome! I'm the author of the Charles Lenox series of historical mysteries, as well as the forthcoming novel about expatriate life in Oxford, THE LAST ENCHANTMENTS. I also write book reviews for USA Today and the Chicago Tribune and essays in ma...more
More about Charles Finch...
A Beautiful Blue Death (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #1) The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #2) The Fleet Street Murders (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #3) A Stranger in Mayfair (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #4) A Burial at Sea (Charles Lenox Mysteries #5)