Start by marking “The Other Woman (Jane Ryland, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Other Woman (Jane Ryland, #1)

The Other Woman (Jane Ryland #1)

3.57  ·  Rating Details ·  1,881 Ratings  ·  398 Reviews
Jane Ryland was a rising star in television news…until she refused to reveal a source and lost everything. Now a disgraced newspaper reporter, Jane isn’t content to work on her assigned puff pieces, and finds herself tracking down a candidate’s secret mistress just days before a pivotal Senate election.
Detective Jake Brogan is investigating a possible serial killer. Twice,
Published September 4th 2012 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about The Other Woman, please sign up.

Arlene
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Carmen
Nov 08, 2013 Carmen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery Fans
RE-READ 09/17/2015

The first in a series. Jane Ryland is a reporter. She gets fired from her TV job and gets a newspaper job. She is in love (or at least, has the potential to be) with Jake – a cop, but they can never be together because of their jobs.

I actually like that Jake and Jane don't do anything sexual in the book. For one thing, I feel like they really are getting to know and love(?) each other as people instead of just lusting after each other.

This book is about a political campaign an
Carol
Sep 30, 2012 Carol rated it it was ok
I was immediately intrigued by the plot line of this one. Jane Ryland’s got it all, looks, smarts and a great job as the anchor of Channel 11 News. When she refuses to give up her source she finds herself facing a million dollar lawsuit and looking for a new job. I really thought I was going to love this. So how come it was just ok.
To be fair I’d have to rate The Other Woman somewhere between ok and like. As stated above I liked the premise but something fell flat for me. I didn’t like the dialo
Kathy
It's 2 a.m. Do you know where your daughter/mother/grandmother/husband/son is? If they are lucky, they're finishing The Other Woman by Hank Phillippi Ryan. To a bookaholic such as myself, staying up late to finish an awesome book is on the grand experiences level of reading. When I started reading last night, my goal was to read 200 pages in The Other Woman and finish it today. Ha. I laugh at my naivety. There would be no putting this book down until it was finished. Reading at its best.

Jane Ry
Tim The Enchanter
Plotting and Pacing Hurt a Good Character - 3 Stars

I enjoy mystery novels that revolve around journalists. Brad Parks and Bruce DeSilva are two personal favorites. I went into this novel with an expectation that there would be a similar style. By that I mean, the mystery and crimes are uncovered though investigative journalism and the crimes are substantive. In some ways this occurred in The Other Woman but overall the story lacked focus and leave the reader feeling a bit disoriented.

Plot
Shaun
Jan 02, 2015 Shaun rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
2.5 stars bumped up.

Reminiscent of an `80s style detective show, The Other Woman is a fast-paced thriller/mystery that could easily be turned into a Lifetime special.

It was okay.

What I liked

The writing is crisp, clean, and full of sensory detail. Ryan's experience as an investigative reporter certainly comes through. Furthermore, the plot and subplots are revealed slowly and woven together nicely.

What I didn't like

Cliché one-dimensional characters. This is a rather formulaic genre, so I guess
Nancy McFarlane
Apr 15, 2012 Nancy McFarlane rated it it was amazing
The Other Woman is a thrilling roller coaster ride full of ups and downs and twists and turns. And is a totally believable look into the world of investigative reporting, political machines, police procedures and how they collide.

Investigative reporter Jane Ryland is trying to resurrect her career which was destroyed when she refused to reveal a source. She has no idea that her determination to find out who the ‘other’ woman is in random pictures of a senatorial campaign will turn out to be a co
Kathleen J
Oct 08, 2012 Kathleen J rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
I was so disappointed by the opening of this book I could go no further. Writers are told that the first scene of a novel should capture the reader, make them feel as though they are in the hands of a master who will take them on a wonderful journey.

The writing in the opening is amateurish, characterization and dialog poor. The author tries awkwardly to give us time, place, backstory. Do the following excerpts sound to YOU like what a realistic seasoned detective is thinking and saying at a murd
Karen Hall
Jun 19, 2013 Karen Hall rated it it was ok
I really like Ms. Ryan's writing style, but this book is a mess. The protagonist, Jane Ryland, while engaging and likeable, can't (and won't) follow her boss' directions, makes lots of unsupported claims about suspects, mistakes people for other people with serious consequences and, in the romance department, Janey can't decide between her cop buddy, Jakey, and her boss, Hot Alex. (See me roll my eyes.) But the kicker for me was the TSTL (too stupid to live) moves she makes -- going places alone ...more
Tom
Jan 25, 2013 Tom rated it it was ok
As a Bostonian I probably expected too much so when the book did not meet my expectations I was disappointed. I did not like the many quick and choppy plot jumps, the unclear characters, the puerile dialog, and the completely unbelievable premise. My biggest desire was for the story to end so I could go on to another book by someone else. (One month later) The Other Woman won the Agatha reward so I went back and reread it. It helped that I read it before so now I would not confuse the characters ...more
Terri Lynn
Oct 08, 2012 Terri Lynn rated it it was amazing
I saw an ad for this book on the right side of my Goodreads page and ordered it from my library. I wasn't the only one with the same idea and had to wait for a long time to get it.

What do I think? I think the same things many of my favorite mystery and suspense writers think. Here is a sampling:

Lee Child> "The Other Woman does everything a great suspense novel should. Ryan raises the bar sky high."

Lisa Scottoline> "If you haven't read Hank Phillipi Ryan yet, you should, and The Other Wo
judy
Sep 14, 2012 judy rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
It had to happen sometime--I'd hate an author most people love. I've waited forever to get my hands on a Hank book. Other authors mention her in their books. The comments on the back include many of my favorite writers. Sadly,I closed it maybe 1/5 from the end. The book was completely unbelievable to me. (2 weeks to election and you're only just doing major interviews?) With all the attention Jane paid to attractive men in the very beginning, I was worried that we might head down a romance book ...more
Luanne Ollivier
Hank Phillippi Ryan is an award winning investigative reporter for a television station for Boston, Massachusetts. She has also turned her talents to fiction writing and has won numerous accolades for her four books. After all, she's writing what she know - reporting and investigation. So I eagerly picked up my first book by this author - her latest - The Other Woman.

Jane Ryland was a television reporter, fired when she refused to reveal a source and cost the station a million dollars. Now she w
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
May 14, 2012 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
Jane Ryland, an investigative reporter in the Boston area is forced into a new journalistic career after a jury doesn't believe her 'source' and Jane refuses to reveal the person's name. Now, living as a Newspaper reporter, she is assigned a political fluff piece that turns into a parallel investigation into possible serial killings.

It is clear that there is an "Other Woman" but, what is not clear is exactly who or why she is....

This story was filled with intriguing characters, an exciting backd
Robin
Jun 22, 2012 Robin rated it liked it
I should create a shelf titled "Kind of read but skimmed most of it" which is what I did with this book. The pace and uneven flow turned me off so I ended up quickly paging through to see what happened.
Connie
Jan 13, 2013 Connie rated it did not like it
Doubtful that I'll read anymore of this author. Very disappointing, poorly written. I kept reading till the end hoping it would get better. Thankfully, it was a library book.
Debbie
Oct 08, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Debbie by: http://www.hankphillippiryan.com/othe...
Jane Ryland was going places in TV news that is until she got the camera pulled out from under her. Now she finds herself out of work and the forefront of a lawsuit as a result of a news story where she won’t reveal her source. She’s given a chance to work as a newspaper reporter on the Boston Register and is given her first assignment to interview the wife of a candidate to the Senate. But nothing is ever as it seems and Jane’s nose smells a bigger story one where there seems to be “The Other W ...more
Vicki
Apr 25, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it
Jane Ryland is a reporter with something to prove. Up until she refused to name a source in a high profile story she covered on Channel 11, she was the rising star in Boston's TV news. But her principled stand resulted in a losing court case that got her fired and is costing Channel 11 a million bucks.

Humiliated and suddenly jobless, she drops out of sight to wallow in depression for awhile, but when she decides life must go on, she follows up on a lead provided by her police detective friend, J
Virginia Campbell
Sep 09, 2012 Virginia Campbell rated it it was amazing
Author Hank Phillippi Ryan is a Renaissance Woman of the 21st Century. In addition to being an award-winning fiction writer, she is a multiple Emmy winner for her three decades of work as a television journalist, and she has won numerous prestigious Edward R. Murrow awarads for her hard-hitting revelations as an investigative reporter. Hank is also a teacher, a popular and accomplished public speaker, and the owner and operator of a sharp wit and keenly observant mind. She is also generous to a ...more
M.E.
Oct 17, 2012 M.E. rated it it was amazing
Summary: I haven't read a thriller this gripping in a long time.

Long: I reserve five-star reviews for books that I find almost perfect & can give an unreserved recommendation. THE OTHET WOMAN starts out at a fairly brisk pace. Dead body. Possible serial killer. Disgraced reporter. It's a good hook. Ryan moves the story right along using several POVs, no mean feat. You get a good picture of Jane & Jake. There are some people who are clearly not who they appear to be. Then somewhere aroun
Robin
Dec 26, 2015 Robin rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 2015
When TV Reporter Jane Ryland refuses to name her source, she loses her job. Detective Jake Brogan recommends her for a job at a newspaper where she is asked to get an interview from the wife of Senate hopeful Owen Lassiter. Mrs. Lassiter has dropped out of the public eye and everyone is asking why. A phone call form Mrs. Lassiter tells Jane that she believes her husband is having an affair with another woman. Meanwhile Jake Brogen is investigating a series of dead young women whose bodies are fo ...more
Victoria Allman
Sep 23, 2012 Victoria Allman rated it it was amazing
The Other Woman is a plot-twister of a novel set in Boston involving a strong and sexy cop, Jake Brogan, and a smart and savvy newspaper reporter, Jane Ryland, as they struggle to find a serial killer and follow a political campaign while trying to ignore their draw to one another. When the murder investigation and campaign seem to overlap, Jake and Jane are thrown into each others worlds and have to face what their growing attraction could mean to both of their careers.

Steven King once said, "G
Judy Alter
Nov 06, 2012 Judy Alter rated it it was amazing
An absorbing novel of politics, elections, serial killers, and other women...with more than a hint of romance that must be denied. A TV reporter herself who has covered campaigns and probably killers, Hank Phillippi Ryan creates an authentic world of journalism and a tough journalist in disgrace. Jane Ryland fights to regain her reputation and credibility and to solve the bridge murders even while she resists that charm of Jake Brogan. His career, as a law officer, would conflict with her impart ...more
John
Sep 12, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Let's get this straight right off the top: this is one terrific novel! This story introduces us to down-on-her-luck, ex-TV star reporter Jane Ryland, as she hopes to resurrect her media career as a newspaper reporter. Her seemingly impossible opening assignment is to find and interview the wife of Senate candidate Governor Owen Lassiter, who has mysteriously dropped out of sight. From this simple(?)assignment Jane falls into a world of high profile murders, mysterious campaign staffers, layer up ...more
Teresa Michael
Mar 11, 2014 Teresa Michael rated it really liked it
I liked this book especially the relationship between the two main characters, Jane and Jake. She's a journalist, he's a cop, and their agencies have rules against relationships. They have a definite chemistry and, of course, their paths keep crossing. She is reporting on a senatorial campaign and he's working the Bridge Street Killer case. Things get interesting when the cases intertwine. The pacing is fast and the subordinate characters are interesting. An overall great read.

I just started rea
Theresa de Valence
Oct 15, 2012 Theresa de Valence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Hank Phillippi Ryan’s THE OTHER WOMAN is a fast moving story. By the middle, I had to put the book down every couple chapters and pace the house; I didn’t want to stop reading, but I had to release tension bolstered by the story. Jane Ryland is a tough, investigative reporter who perseveres. She is, however, charming and flawed and the reader comes to care deeply about her. Detective Jake Brogan is bright and driven, but has amusing scuffles with many characters.

The plot is very well executed an
Jorge A.
Oct 13, 2012 Jorge A. rated it it was amazing
I had never read any books by Hank Phillippi Ryan until this one. Now, I am looking forward to reading more of her works. The Other Woman has killer plot, compelling characters, and nonstop suspense and action/ The book was written from the rare perspective of one who knows the news business from the inside out. Ryan grabbed me on page one.....you should read it!
Lisa Black
Jun 11, 2014 Lisa Black rated it really liked it
Full disclosure--I'm an acquaintance of the author. But I really liked this book!! It just kept twisting and turning.
Jody
Sep 24, 2012 Jody rated it it was amazing
An excellent puzzle, mixing politics,news reporting, and policing. Great characters.
Gloria Feit
Jul 13, 2012 Gloria Feit rated it it was amazing
There is more than one “Other Woman” in this new novel by Hank Phillippi Ryan [following her 2010 “Drive Time,” the fourth in the terrific Charlotte McNally series]. This time she introduces a new female journalist, Jane Ryland. For Jane, the other woman she is trying to track down is the one she suspects of being the paramour of Owen Lassiter, the political Golden Boy, charismatic former Governor and current candidate for Senate, in whose life there is, perhaps, more than one “other woman.” For ...more
Amy Lignor
Aug 29, 2012 Amy Lignor rated it really liked it
Reporter, Jane Ryland, knows that she’s right about her story, but when she refuses to reveal a source she’s ‘cut loose’ by the T.V. station and finds herself all alone. But being extremely tough, Jane refuses to give up and takes a job with a newspaper writing little, boring stories that pay the rent but don’t really measure up to her intelligence.

Son hired by The Boston Register only because the city editor wants her to identify the source she wouldn’t identify in court, Jane has to once again
  • Circle of Influence (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #1)
  • Killer Image (Allison Campbell Mystery #1)
  • Discretion (Anna Curtis, #2)
  • Heartache Motel: Three Interconnected Mystery Novellas
  • Board Stiff (An Elliott Lisbon Mystery, #1)
  • Small Town Spin (A Headlines in High Heels Mystery, #3)
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • A Death in the Family (Detective Kubu #5)
  • The Bullet Catch (An Eli Marks Mystery #2)
  • Pirate Vishnu (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #2)
  • The Brim Reaper (Style and Error Mystery, #3)
  • Hijack in Abstract (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #3)
  • Designed to Death (Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery, #2)
  • Expedition Indigo
  • Finding Sky (Nicki Valentine Mystery, #1)
  • Edited for Death (Amy Hobbes #1)
  • Death by Blue Water (A Hayden Kent Mystery #1)
HANK PHILLIPPI RYAN is the investigative reporter for Boston's NBC affiliate. A television journalist since 1975, she has won 33 Emmys and thirteen Edward R. Murrow awards for her work. Her work has resulted in new laws, people sent to prison, homes removed from foreclosure, and millions of dollars in restitution.

A best-selling author of seven bestselling novels of suspense, Hank's first Jane Ryla
More about Hank Phillippi Ryan...

Jane Ryland (5 books)
  • The Wrong Girl (Jane Ryland, #2)
  • Truth Be Told (Jane Ryland, #3)
  • What You See (Jane Ryland, #4)
  • Say No More (Jane Ryland, #5)

“jacket” 0 likes