Start by marking “Broken Like This: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Broken Like This: A Novel

Broken Like This: A Novel

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  223 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
"Trasandes eloquently renders the passionate and heartrending love story...it’s rare to root for all sides of a love triangle, but the author’s depth of insight into her characters makes this a wonderfully accomplished first novel."Publisher's Weekly

An unforgettably haunting novel—intertwining stories reveal how a man and a woman fall in love with the same extraordinary p
Published November 27th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published November 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Like This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Like This

Gloria
Aug 21, 2012 Gloria rated it really liked it
I loved this book by the end, when the pace picked up. The love triangle seems relevant, despite being set a few years ago.

The efforts to make Don a rounded, not totally evil character came across as false, very much what you would expect to get from Don. The two main characters were reasonably likable and real, though Louis bordered on cliche and Angela bored me sometimes. The twist with Louis, Kate, and Don in Kate's childhood bedroom surprised me, but believably.

The in medias res beginning d
Priya Bhakta
(3.5 STARS)

Broken Like This is not really about Kate. Kate is the woman that both Louis and Angela love, and that Kate has loved back. They were both vital in forming Kate as a character and, likewise, she's had a huge influence over them. Louis and Angela's paths never crossed greatly until Kate falls into a coma and they both rush to her bedside. Chapters alternate between present day and past which allows insight into the characters, relationships and the larger story as it unfolds.

Louis and
Karen
Jul 26, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, first-reads
This is a review based on an advance reading copy from Goodreads. Thank you.

I like this book. A lot. I wanted all the characters to have happy endings, but life isn't like that. Angela and Louis are Kate's satellites and lovers, and what happens when the orb they circle is in the hospital in a coma, following a terrible accident? Angela, who earlier in the book, says "I don't connect that well with other people. ... I watch, take notes", must finally take a stand and do something. Louis and Ang
Gerri Leen
Apr 09, 2013 Gerri Leen rated it did not like it
This starts out so cool that I thought the rest of the ride would also be that way. Oh, so wrong. This is like an edgy Nicholas Sparks, if Sparks ever had a villain so glaringly mustache twirling. And the main problem with it is that it depends on the characters rather than the plot to carry it forward, and I didn't feel much for any of them. They were either enigmas--as was the case with the woman around whom all the action swirls--or just annoying and whiny (everyone else). I stuck with it for ...more
Dawna
Aug 21, 2012 Dawna rated it it was ok
When I first read the blurb for this book, I thought for sure that I would fall in love with the characters, their stories, and tales. Believe me, I tried. I started this book then stopped about 40 pages in, only to start again. I was sure there was something I was missing. After starting for the second time I see that there was nothing I was missing, that the story just wasn't working for me. I really wanted to love this book. I will say that it is interesting, and did hold my attention, but I ...more
Maria
Mar 06, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing
This was a powerful book. At times, difficult t read since it hit home for me. Kate was a complicated girl but understandably so. Louis and Angela loved her no matter what and I guess that's all we really need to get by in this crazy thing called life. I highly recommend this book.
Elize
Feb 03, 2014 Elize rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this book down and was crying throughout. Kate is an interesting, puzzling, and broken character and this book does a great job of slowly unveiling her life and her relationships. Love this one.
Korey
Mar 21, 2015 Korey rated it did not like it
Finished this book and promptly threw it in the trash. Probably the worst book I've ever read. It was so boring, and didn't have a point.
Micah
Apr 10, 2016 Micah rated it liked it
I took me a few chapters to get into this book. The characters weren't immediately relatable, but the writing was good, so I hung with it, and it paid off.
Perkimom
Jun 21, 2015 Perkimom rated it liked it
Sad, disconcerting.
Andrea Lewis
Feb 01, 2013 Andrea Lewis rated it it was amazing
It took me some time to get into the story, but it was the author's writing style that sustained my attention. At first I found it confusing when the author wrote back and forth changing eras.

But little by little the author dropped hints and I started to pick up the clues. I wanted to know where the story was going. Especially when I got closer to the end of the book, I couldn't stop reading, the plot seemed to pick up.
Taylor
Jul 23, 2012 Taylor rated it really liked it
I won this book through a 'First Reads' giveaway. I was so excited to read it, I knew I was going to enjoy it. True enough, I couldn't put it down. I read it quickly. It was so heart-wrenching. I liked the way the author gave you bits & pieces from the main characters past, then switched to the present situation each chapter. Like a tease to keep you on path with the story. The ending was sad & made me cry.
Sandra Badry
Nov 12, 2015 Sandra Badry rated it really liked it
Great writing - great characters!
Felicia
Jan 26, 2013 Felicia rated it it was ok
The premise of the book was interesting. However the dialogue was awful. There wasn't even enough angst in the story to make me want to skip ahead to the ending. I didn't really care too much about any of the characters. The portrayal of the step father was ridiculous. The author has potential and I might read another book by her if she writes one.
Rebecca Raeske-Grinch
Jan 16, 2014 Rebecca Raeske-Grinch rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
A well written and ultimately depressing story. I really did like this book, read the last 50 pages or so with a sense of urgency pulled from the drama rapidly unfolding in the story, then deflated with the ending. You really hoped they were going to make it, and it felt like everything was going to be okay, then splat. Tragedy.
Michelle
Jul 27, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: 150s-club
I recieved this book from goodreads First Reads. I absolutely loved this story. I didn't ever want to put the book down. The only downfall of this book was all the grammatical errors. There were many times where I had to stop reading and re-read some sentences to try to figure out what it was supposed to say.
Heidi Mueller
Aug 01, 2013 Heidi Mueller rated it liked it
I would give this 3.5 stars if possible. Overall, a good story about a special woman and how she affected the lives of a few key individuals. I eventually adjusted to the story's shifting time lines and narrators; it just felt like it was trying too hard at times and then left other things up in the air.
Pmcdnld2
Dec 31, 2012 Pmcdnld2 rated it really liked it
Sad but a good story. Kate is in a coma after a car accident in Spain. The 2 people who she has loved, one male and one female, and who both love her rush to her side. Her story is told in flashbacks as the 2 of them argue with her useless mother and her evil stepfather.
Lynda
Apr 15, 2013 Lynda rated it really liked it
Intriguing story about a woman hurt in a car accident in Spain, the 2 loves of her life travel there and we hear about their relationships, before during and after the crash. It sort of fell apart at the end but still had me going the whole time, read it in 1 1/2 days!
Tami
Sep 29, 2014 Tami rated it really liked it
A very lovely and tender book. The relationship between Kate and the two people that love her the most is
described so well that I could feel it through the pages. I liked Louis and Angela so much and really wanted
them to save Kate. Great love story.
Amanda Webster
Sep 29, 2013 Amanda Webster rated it liked it
I'm confused. I wasn't aware Twitter existed in 1994. You lost me on page 56.

Page 92: botox wasn't approved for cosmetic use until 2002. Who edited this book?

Page 216: She has a character checking his email at a Starbucks at the Grand Canyon in 1992.
Oct 14, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I was intrigued the whole time. I didn't relate to the characters but was amused with the descriptions and the obsessiveness and pedestal-placing. The ending was a bit overly dramatic then abrupt, but I enjoyed the whole read.
Jeremy Minnetian
Feb 10, 2013 Jeremy Minnetian rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book about a love triangle involving 2 women and a man. It was a quick read with semi-interesting story that did hold my attention. I do wish it turned out differently in the end though. Sad.

Mary
Mar 07, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
This was a very different book. I loved the characters, loved the background cities and the stories. It was heartbreakingly happy and heartbreakingly sad. I think that would have pleased Kate.
Erin Stankiewicz Faticanti
I liked the book as a whole the ending was a little bit of a let down not what I expected it to be. I would have given it 3.5 stars but not possible I would recommend it it was over all good
Kaki
Apr 13, 2013 Kaki rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed. the book but hope that the many editing errors were taken care of before it was released for sale. If not Monica needs a new editor. VERY distracting.
Loretta
Jul 17, 2012 Loretta rated it it was ok
The story was interesting from the start. Three quarters thru the book I became impatient & only wanted to read about Kate's situation in Ibiza 1994.
Jaki
Aug 27, 2013 Jaki rated it really liked it
terribly sad, but i was so envious of the joy in the life of the main character, despite the horrible things she'd lived to get to the joy
Jolene
Feb 20, 2016 Jolene rated it really liked it
A poem-or novel about a love triangle with lots of twist and turns, broken lives, beautiful travel destinations so a great read.

Meghan
Jul 08, 2012 Meghan marked it as to-read
I just received my first reads copy in the mail! I have a book I'm currently reading, but can't wait to start this after I finish!
  • White Feathers
  • Unbecoming
  • Tumbledown
  • We Think the World of You
  • The Sea-Stone Sword

I was born in Montevideo, Uruguay. My family relocated to the U.S. in the early 70s during the military upheaval there. I earned a B.A. in International Relations at the University of California, Santa Barbara, then an MFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College. I’ve worked as a newspaper reporter and a magazine editor. I’m now the Director of Spanish-Language Media at GLAAD.
My short stories hav
More about Monica Trasandes...