Start by marking “Miss Lina's Ballerinas and the Wicked Wish” as Want to Read:
Miss Lina's Ballerinas and the Wicked Wish

Miss Lina's Ballerinas and the Wicked Wish (Miss Lina's Ballerinas)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Then one sunny day, a guest came to view
Miss Lina’s ten dancers plié and tendu.
Miss Lina announced, “This is Mister Brisé.
He’ll watch you take class,” she explained, “and he may
invite you to dance with the City Ballet.”

Miss Lina’s ten ballerinas—Christina, Edwina, Sabrina, Justina, Katrina, Bettina, Marina, Regina, Nina, and Tony Farina—are thrilled by the chance to be in
Published October 2nd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Miss Lina's Ballerinas and the Wicked Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Lina's Ballerinas and the Wicked Wish

When Miss Lina's dancers have the chance to perform in a production of Sleeping Beauty, Regina is jealous of the other performers since she has been assigned to dance as a rat. At night, as she lies in bed, she wishes that someone would fall ill so that she can have the chance to waltz. She gets her chance since one by one, the other girls become ill or injure themselves in some way. But Regina can't possibly take all their places. Thank goodness she realizes the error of her ways and takes her ...more
I actually really enjoyed this book because of the personal connection it had for me. When I was younger, I was assigned a part in a ballet that I had not originally wanted. However, with time, I realized that the part was perfect for me. The overall theme of the book works well for a young dancer who might be upset about an assigned part.
The rhymes don't scan quite as well in this installment, but it's still quite fun.
Jul 26, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, rhyming, dance, 2013
This book is strongly reminiscent of Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans. The story is entertaining and the rhymes mostly work, although it's a bit awkward when the second part of a couplet is on the next page. Our youngest was a big fan of ballet when she was little, so books about dancing are still hits with her.

The illustrations by Christine Davenier are really recognizable and the characters are similar to her work in the Iris and Walter and Piper Reed series.

Overall, it was an entertaining story
Ms Threlkeld
I really enjoyed the unusual rhyme scheme in this book. There are also lovely moments of delicious vocabulary. Children interested in dancing will especially be drawn to this story.
Sharon Lawler
Third offering of the Miss Lina's Ballerinas series. Lovely artwork and tone that is reminiscent of the Madeline stories.
Kim T.
Super loved this one!
Regina is nervous when a guest comes to watch the ballet class dance, and when she is cast as a rat rather than a waltzer, she wishes some other girl will get sick so Regina can waltz instead. As might be expected, a lesson is learned about wishing ill on others. One nice feature was that the ballet class included a boy along with 9 girls.
A fun ballerina book that, in some small respect, reminds me a bit of the Madeline books I enjoyed as a child...okay, well, I still love Madeline. :)

The rhyme scheme sometimes swerves and/or becomes repetitive, but well worth a read.
51 months - this wouldn't be a hit for everyone but little ballerina appreciate the ballet terms. The first Miss Lina book we read had my daughter doing arabesques and spins all over the house!
Ashley Wesner
Great little story about being careful what you wish for. I love the glossary at the end also! I'd really like to work it into a story time and actually have the kids try to do the moves at the end!
Dec 26, 2014 Dana rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I appreciate the lesson in this book and the rhyming, rhyming, rhyming. Didn't realize the parallels between the story and Madeline until reading a couple other reviews. Even better!
cute story and illustrations. Very basic ballet intro for little ones looking to try ballet and showing interest in dance. lesson learned be careful what you wish for.
A be careful what you wish for story if ever there was one. Includes a glossary and a brief telling of the Sleeping Beauty version in the ballet.
My daughter is a ballerina and so I might be a little biased, but I found this adorable. Wish bad on someone and bad things will happen to you!!
We love the poetic tone to the book, the lesson to do your best in the part your given, the ballet terms, and the cute illustrations.
Sometimes you get what you wish for and it turns out nothing like you expected. A good story with nice illustrations.
I didn't realize there were more books in the series. Cute but not too sugary.
Shanshad Whelan
Have I mentioned how much I really can't stand forced rhyming?
Edward Sullivan
Another sequel that fans of the other two Miss Lina books will enjoy.
Fun rhythm and rhyming for reading aloud. Great illustrations.
cute watercolor illustrations. cute moral of story.
My favorite in the Miss Lina's Ballerina's series.
Dec 06, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Anna added it
May 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Grace Maccarone is a children’s book editor and the author of many books for young readers, including Miss Lina’s Ballerinas, illustrated by Christine Davenier, and the First Grade Friends series, illustrated by Betsy Lewin. She lives in Westchester, New York.
More about Grace Maccarone...

Miss Lina's Ballerinas (3 books)
  • Miss Lina's Ballerinas