Start by marking “Block 11” as Want to Read:
Block 11

Block 11

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  30 reviews
From an award-winning author comes anaudacious, high-conceptnoir set in Auschwitz that straddles past and present

New York, the present: Anold woman and her husband sit down for a breakfast ofblack bread andcoffee ata table set for ten. Eight chairs remain empty.

Auschwitz, Spring 1944: Following a successfulescape from the camp, a group of ten prisoners are rounded up for e
Published October 16th 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published May 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Block 11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Block 11

Diane S.
3.5 When I first read the premise for this novel, a novel about a psychologically disturbing choice during a very horrific time in history, I immediately thought of the novel, Sophie's Choice. An escape from an unnamed concentration camp is made and turns out to be successful, the commandant of the camp chooses a group of people, by number, from the same barracks where they escapees have been existing, can't bring myself to call it actually living. At first it seems as if the choices are random, ...more
Mikkee
I loved this book. It has been by far the best new book I have read in 2013. I am only rating it 4 instead of 5 because it was a little slow to start. However, Antoni did amazing work of developing his story and characters in such a way that I reviled, hated, loved, and understood all of them throughout the book. He made me feel such despair at the state of humanity, but he reminded me of the hope there is and possibility for good, no matter how small. The ending was poignant and well-done.

Any b
Kimberly Thomas johnson

I liked the author's development of the different characters. However, the story itself seemed a bit disjointed. The back story of Ida wasn't really fleshed out, and yet seemed to take a prominent position at the end of the story.
Angela
Block 11 by Piero Degli Antoni is set in Auschwitz, so immediately you know this is not likely to be a cheerful tale. Three prisoners have escaped, so the Camp Kommandant decides to execute ten other prisoners in reprisal. He changes his mind, however, and decides instead to play a macabre sort of game with the ten prisoners. He orders that they be locked in a washhouse and given one night to decide which one among them will be executed the next day; the other nine will be spared.

The ten seeming
Lightblue
Come ho già detto altre volte è difficile dare un giudizio ad un libro sull’Olocausto. E’ un tema così terribile, ma che non dobbiamo mai smettere di ricordare, per evitare di ricadere negli stessi allucinanti errori. In questo caso poi, il libro è scritto talmente bene e dà delle sensazioni estremamente vivide, che è impossibile rimanere indifferenti. Si racconta di un gruppo di ebrei, prigionieri in un campo di concentramento, che vengono rinchiusi per una notte intera nel Blocco 11, per ordin ...more
Diane
The book is set in Auschwitz prison camp during World war 2. We see what prisoners are put through and the cruelty that humans did to others, The story was quite easy to read and the flow was good. Keeps you guessing.

We meet 10 prisoners about to die because of prisoners that have escaped.

Suddenly a reprieve is given to them with a catch to it. They will have to decide which one of them will be given up to die and the rest set free. It is a night of deep searching, many stories and secrets. Who
Cristina
Literally read this book in one night, could not put it down ! I really liked how the author incorporated the separate scenes of the commander and the prisoners. The scenes were very detailed.
Over all it is a story about characters who live in a demoralized place and yet find the hope to survive.
Jackie
Fabulous holocaust novel ... really puts the time period into perspective... using chess as the background = genius!
Alexis Steven
Es más un 3.5, estoy seguro que no es una lectura para todos, pero si les gustan las historias de este tipo seguro les gusta ésta.
En general es una lectura veloz, con emociones mezcladas y con una sensación que nos muestra lo que es el destino y la fuerza de las decisiones. Así como la opresión que se sufría en ese tiempo.

Reseña completa: http://elfinal-delahistoria.blogspot.mx/2012/11/resena-pabellon-11-el-nino-nazi-piero.html
Joel Kleehammer
Block 11 is an excellent book. Certain parts come off as predictable, but so much more of the book is left wide open with the reader unable to guess what might happen next. It is very reminiscent of Elie Wiesel's early works, especially Night. The tale is a story of ultimate loss and sacrifice coupled with the ability to continue and grow (whether or not you can accept it and move on).
Marcos Zoquier
Un poco lento al principio, pero muy bueno al final.
Lizvette
Great story for a movie. An unexpected ending.
Garryvivianne
Ten prisoners are sent into Block 11 because there have been three escapees. The Nazi's are furious & pick 10 people to choose just ONE of them for execution. The story details each character's good & bad traits. During this time that they are trying to decide whom to pick, they find out many revelations about each one. Confessions are told, truths are found out, each one with something good & horribly bad. A decision is hard to come by. A good story.

Good writing.
Gaby Fajardo
No me termino de encantar y menos atrapar la historia, pero es un libro entretenido.
Jerom
La verdad es que lo pongo aquí porque no se me ocurre donde ponerlo.

Se lee en un santiamen, para mi gusto le falta algo. Creo que intenta abarcar mucho, intenta ser una reflexión sobre la condición humana, pero creo que se queda a medio camino.

Como detalle negativo, la no traducción de vocablos alemanes... a pesar de que se supone que todos los personajes están hablando en ese idioma.
Naomi
Oh my goodness, this book dragged on and on. It was written in a very unwelcoming writing style for something along the lines of a Sophie's Choice type of book. This is the type of book that would normally be right up my alley, but this fell short in the character development, explaining the story behind the story and emotion.
Gena Divine
I always end up feeling guilty when I read Holocaust fiction - the truth is brutal enough. That being said, the 'chess game' concept behind this suspense novel was intriguing and I couldn't put the book down. However, there were too many plot holes and threads left loose for me to give it 4 stars.
Dana Damm
The book started out slow, but if you can make through the first half it is worth the read! Lots of twist and turns, as well as a wonderful ending. I did find some errors throughout the book, but I think that is expected when a book it translated into English. Overall a great read!
Mirele Kessous
Psychological thriller, very suspenseful, and HS kids would love it--but there is an extremely disturbing scene that would make me hesitant to recommend this to anyone younger than 12th grade unless they specifically requested it from me. Really...really disturbing.
Yosef Shapiro
This is a good book. It is very depressing in several parts. But, it is worth reading. A group of prisoners are selected after an escape. Their task is to choose one for the Nazis to execute so that the others might live. But, it is not as simple as it sounds.
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
El principio me desconcertó...y luego a medida que avanzaba me fue sorprendiendo más y más hasta donde puede llegar la crueldad del hombre. Alucinante.
Una novela que se lee en nada y que no puedes dejar hasta acabarla.
Pat Morris
Ten Auschwitz prisoners are thrown together into a cell being ordered to decide which of them should be executed....Poignant and intense character study.
René
It was a very good book with a surprising ending but with some predictable things in the sub-stories. Even thought I strongly recommend the book.
Florinda
Reviewed in SHELF AWARENESS FOR READERS, 10/30/2012:
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
Excellent, moving, amazing book. If you liked Schindler's list, this is a good read; but very sad.
Margie
Interesting book. Great story. Great character development.
Nikki Montes
Different from anything I've read about the Holocaust...
Donna
Apr 10, 2013 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This book would make a great movie or play.
Cynthia Mcarthur
Review coming soon.
  • Hasidic Tales of the Holocaust
  • Shtetl: The Life and Death of a Small Town and the World of Polish Jews
  • Children of the Holocaust: Conversations with Sons and Daughters of Survivors
  • La famiglia Karnowski
  • Nessuno sa di noi
  • Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2
  • Rebbe: The Life and Teachings of Menachem M. Schneerson, the Most Influential Rabbi in Modern History
  • In My Father's Court
  • Villain School: Good Curses Evil
  • Seriously, Norman!
  • The Garden Of Emuna
  • When You Wish
Чекај ме Ghiaccio sottile (Italian Edition) Pabellón 11: Un campo de concentración. Un prisionero por sacrificar. Un thriller apasionante. De nacht van de waarheid Hielo frágil