Start by marking “Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim” as Want to Read:
Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim

Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  818 ratings  ·  173 reviews
Love and guilt are thick in the Scottoline/Serritella household, and Lisa and Francesca’s mother-daughter-turned-best-friends bond will strike a familiar note to many. But now that Lisa is a suburban empty nester and Francesca is an independent twentysomething in the big city, they have to learn how to stay close while living apart. How does a mother’s love translate acros ...more
Published November 13th 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim

Carolyn Amundson
I picked this up randomly in the library and just couldn't finish it. It's like one author is telling you some rambling information about her life, and then the other jumps in for a chapter to tell you some additional rambling stuff and responding to the first author's rambling tale. In this case, the two authors are a mother and a daughter. The authors say the book is funny. I had to take their word for it. Here's an excerpt:

Dogs don't have emotional baggage.
And if they did, they'd forget it at
Sue
This was a quick read - about mothers and daughters - luckily Lisa Scottoline is an excellent writer so it keeps you going through all the various vignettes.. it was humorous but not outrageously so... this was a good in-between book - one to read and finish before I found the next one I really wanted to read.
Dawn
I just love to read the books that Lisa Scottoline writes with her daughter. They are always funny, cheerful, and honest about life, growing older, and mother-daughter relationships. I find these books as sort of a vacation without leaving home.
Lisa
This book of witty essays (taken mostly from the authors' column in the Philadelphia Inquirer) grew on me, although you don't get enough for your money--too much white space and one or two word paragraphs feel like padding after a while. Nevertheless, the authors (especially Lisa, the mother) have some good and sometimes spot-on insights into life as a woman. The book assumes that you've read the authors' earlier books of witty essays, so it might be best to read them in order; otherwise you may ...more
Alice
Saw this audiobook in the "just returned" section of the library's Overdrive catalog and grabbed it for a road trip playlist. I've enjoyed Lisa Scottoline's books for years, but didn't know that she wrote a column, nor that she was collaborating with daughter Francesca. Wow, this book of essays/columns was outstanding - nothing like laughing out loud in your car on a dark highway at 6:15am!

I've recently begun attending book tour events and I love it when an author narrates their own work. That'
Katie
Loved it--especially the chapter about hands. I can still remember when my mother told me she put her arm through her sleeve one day and out came her mother's hand. I know exactly when I had the same experience.
Nika
Yes, I always laugh with Lisa Scottoline. Yes, I'm always embarrassed to be seen with the dumb doggy cover. (Definitely a cat person)
Gail
Reading this book is like eating popcorn. Once I started, I didn't want to stop. These essays lasting only 3 or 4 pages were written by bestselling author, Lisa Scottoline, and her daughter. Together they write a column for the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper. These stories are taken from their columns. I enjoy reading Lisa's novels but was skeptical whether I would enjoy reading short essays about life in Chester County, PA or New York City. I was pleasantly surprised and will enjoy reading ano ...more
Melissa Lee-tammeus
I have read many of Lisa Scottoline's non fiction books that she has written with her daughter, which I enjoy - they are great for lounging in the tub and simply not caring for a moment or two. They are small column snippets of random thoughts - some, I must be honest, make me laugh out loud. Some, well, are just silly, and cause me to roll my eyes. I don't like Scottoline's fiction, as it is most often murder mystery stuff and her language is a bit simplistic. But that is exactly why I like her ...more
Nancy
I enjoy listening to the audio versions of Lisa and Francesca‘s Chick Wit column. There are so many times that I can relate moments of their lives to the interactions that my daughter and I have had. I no longer have a Mother Mary in my life and never did have a Brother Frank, but I too can remember the exchanges between my mother and me and wonder how either of us had survived.

I was playing the audio version during a college tour trip with my daughter and from time to time, I could see a little
JBradford
I became hooked on Lisa Scottoline’s Rosato & Associates novels some years ago featuring a tough-as-nails female attorney, Bennie Rosato, who starts a law firm consisting of a group of female attorneys, each of whom has her own story, as told in successive novels. Consequently, Lisa Scottoline’s name was very familiar to me when I spotted it on the cover of a book on the new-books shelf at the town library, with their name this time being coupled with that of Francisca Serritella, who turns ...more
Ruth
I became a Lisa Scottoline fan back in the days of her all women law firm with a mystery that just needed solving. Loved them all. Now she has entered two different areas. She is now writing some novels that are more reminiscent of Jodi Picoult in that they involve relationships and a current day topic such as bullying. The third area are the books that are compilations of the columns that she and daughter Francesca write for the Philadelphia Inquirer. This book is the fourth one that they have ...more
Sheila
Very fast read. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this book when I started it. It is a bit slow at the beginning until you find the drift of the book. It doesn't have one story line like we are used to or I expected. It has more little bites of events. The author has a very quick wit and definitely has a unique way of looking at things. I loved some of her lines so much I had to read them over. If you are looking for a nice break and want a fun mother daughter read, this is your book.
Julie
A very quick read that is a lot of fun. Sometimes it's silly, sometimes it's sweet. I do wish that Francesca had more representation in the book, but overall I enjoyed it. I really liked hearing their differing takes on Mother Mary, Lisa's mom and Francesca's grandmother. Hearing about divorce and dating just from Lisa so often took away from the Mother-Daughter aspect of the story I think.

Still generally enjoyable though.
Carole Anderson
Lisa Scottoline is one of my favorite authors, but this was my first adventure into reading a book by her and her daughter. It was a delightful read. Interestingly, at least in this books, they write similarly. They both seem to have the same humor and I laughed many times. Insights were a bit alarming, in that I could definitely relate, but how nice that someone can put thoughts and feelings I have into words. I would read another by the two ladies!
Jenny
Nov 22, 2012 Jenny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I have found that I cannot resist these books. I think it is because I can relate to their mother-daughter relationship and the goofy banter throughout the book. Plus they are a fun, quick read. I find myself tearing up in spots (I can't deny that PMS isn't involved) and then laughing out loud in others. Lisa Scottoline and her daughter say the things I think and feel but don't write down. I love that they can find humor in mundane life events. I appreciate that the witticism comes effortlessly ...more
Sharyn
Compiled from a weekly Philadelphia newspaper columns, this is a nice book to have for night reading (so I don't stay up to read a whole book!!) This is the 2nd of these I have read. Some are funny, some poignant, all of them interesting. A wonderful look into the life of a mother in the sandwich generation, equally worried about her mother and daughter. The love shines through.
Eileen
Lisa Scottoline is one of my favorite suspense/mystery writers, so when she started writing non-fiction, telling short stories about her life, I had to get those books too. This is the third and is co-authored by her 25 year old daughter. I listened to the audio because they read their own stories and it adds another whole dimension. They are mostly 700 word essays that run in their column in a Philadelphia newspaper. They are witty, cute, funny, honest and cover an array of topics from 9/11 mem ...more
Batgirl13
50 Book Reading Challenge 2015: A book that made you cry

Listened to this on audio and it definitely could have made me cry which I think is the closest I'll get for this one on the challenge. Francesca's story about 9-11 was very tear jerking and well-written. This was at times funny, sad, and inspiring.
Heather
Funny and touching, written with her daughter, Scottoline writes about the changing relationships between generations as they age. From picking birth names to injuring yourself on pets, even sex as an older single woman, no topic is off limits. Almost every woman can relate to something in these essays.
Kelly
I had a lot of fun reading this book. A couple stories were repeats from the book I just finished of Lisa Scottoline's but I just skipped those chapters. Basically it is a bunch of short stories written by Lisa and her daughter. They seem to have a great relationship and a lot of fun. A lot of the stories are funny and easy to relate too.
Nicole Long
For a long time I avoided non-fiction, claiming that I just didn't like it. Lisa Scottoline is one of my favorite fiction authors, and yet I avoided this one for that same reason. The other day at the library, in the large print section (I am 40 now), this book was beautifully displayed and I just couldn't resist it. I fell in love with it from almost the beginning. It was funny. Laugh out loud funny. You receive a great idea of what the relationship is like between Lisa, Daughter Francesca, Mot ...more
Kent District Library
“This nonfiction title is superb as an audiobook read by the authors. Mother daughter duo compile their weekly newspaper column into books, they are entertaining, insightful and generally fun to read.”

—Shaunna at KDL’s Alpine Township Branch
Diana
Lisa Scottoline (and sometimes her daughter Francesca Serritella) write newspaper articles. The book is a collection of these stories. They remind us of the relationships we have with our daughters, mothers, and grandmothers and put a humorus slant on them. (make us laugh at ourselves)
many great quotes in this book..... "When in doubt, blame it on your mother." Time isn't a string with a beginning and an end.....the past is with us always, as it is in the future." "You should never look around
Janeene
2.5 Stars

if you've read the other books with Lisa and her daughter, you'll know what you're getting yourself into. Very light, easy read/listen. Nothing challenging or life changing but something easy and fun to do in between other books
Judith
Love these books written by Lisa and her daughter. I have listened to 2 so far and they are hilarious! They are supposed to be a story regarding their relationship but they are still great reads even if you don't have daughters. Can't wait to listen to the other 2.
Shane Moore
I enjoyed this lighthearted mother-daughter memoir focusing on that duo's entirely functional relationship. The mother's relationship with her own mother is a smidge more difficult, but still notably loving and pleasant.

This book is a nice reminder that small everyday lives can be just as fertile ground for writing as war or world-changing drama.
Maureen
Loved it - the authors read it themselves on the audio book which adds that much more warmth and authenticity. Laugh out loud hilarious in many parts - a great light read (listen).
Christine
This was a series of short anecdotes by a mother-daughter duo. My first reaction was "meh," but it grew on me a bit by the end. The audiobook narration by the authors was quite good, though.
Carol
You HAVE to listen to this on audiobooks, rather than read it with your eyes, since it is read by the authors, which is how a memoir should be. The two authors-- mother and daughter, alternate telling stories of things that happen in their lives. Very funny, sometimes touching, nothing held back (well, I'm sure there are some things, but not much), and they make you feel like you are part of their lives. The only complaint was that sometimes they repeated stories from their past memoirs (this is ...more
  • I Can't Complain: (All Too) Personal Essays
  • Ansel Adams in the National Parks: Photographs from America's Wild Places
  • Leave the Light On: A Memoir of Recovery and Self-Discovery
  • Confessions of the World's Best Father
  • The Pig in the Pantry: and Other Homeschool Tales
  • The Conversation: A Revolutionary Plan for End-of-Life Care
  • I Can't Make You Love Me, but I Can Make You Leave: A Novel
  • All You'll Ever Need
  • I've Never Met an Idiot on the River: Reflections on Family, Fishing, and Photography
  • Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns
  • All for One (The Four Lindas, #3)
  • Dave Barry's Money Secrets: Like: Why Is There a Giant Eyeball on the Dollar?
  • Getting Waisted: A Survival Guide to Being Fat in a Society That Loves Thin
  • Betty Crocker Christmas Cookbook
  • The Tao of Martha: My Year of LIVING; Or, Why I'm Never Getting All That Glitter Off of the Dog
  • Looking for Yesterday
  • Sorry!: The English and Their Manners
  • Instant Mom
20258
Lisa Scottoline is the New York Times bestselling author and Edgar award-winning author of 23 novels, including her latest, EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES, which releases in April 2015. She also writes a weekly column with her daughter Francesca Serritella for the Philadelphia Inquirer titled "Chick Wit" which is a witty and fun take on life from a woman's perspective.
More about Lisa Scottoline...
Look Again Save Me Come Home Don't Go Think Twice (Rosato & Associates, #11)