Start by marking “Andrew Zimmern's Field Guide to Exceptionally Weird, Wild, and Wonderful Foods: An Intrepid Eater's Digest” as Want to Read:

Andrew Zimmern loves food. In fact, there's practically nothing he won't try--at least once. As host of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods America on the Travel Channel, Andrew's passion is exploring how different foods are important to different cultures.

Now, Andrew is sharing his most hilarious culinary experiences--as well as fun facts
Published October 30th 2012 by Feiwel & Friends

Be the first to ask a question about Andrew Zimmern's Field Guide to Exceptionally Weird, Wild, and Wonderful Foods

Joy Bishop
I love the show. This was ok.
Autumn
Mar 16, 2016 Autumn rated it it was ok
Shelves: outdated
I have to start off by saying that I found much pleasure in watching the show Bizarre Foods. It's been a while since I viewed the show, but I loved it and Mr. Zimmern. I watched it for his enthusiasm and descriptions about the taste and the texture of the food that he was eating. Most of all though, I loved it for it's visuals. The more nasty looking the food was, the more fun it was watching him eat it. It was great!

Then, enters this book. I am sorry to say, it was not so great. The text about
NCPL Teenzone
Nov 15, 2012 NCPL Teenzone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Zimmern is the host of the Travel Channel show "Bizarre Foods", where he travels, documents, and eats weird, wild, wonderful, and bizarre foods from around the globe. This guide highlights 40 foods like bird's nest soup, maggot cheese, and tarantulas as well as those we eat like crazy here in the US: circus peanuts, hot dogs, SPAM, and twinkies.

Each "food" section is only 4-6 pages long and includes a brief history of the food, along with information about how it is prepared. Then Zimmern
paula
Andrew Zimmern thinks that "our biggest problem" is "practicing contempt prior to investigation. That's a fancy way to think about what happens when you tell your mom or dad you don't like a food before you've even tried it."

I cannot disagree with this sentiment. And it is way more thoughtful than I would expect from the author of a book about "weird, wild, and wonderful foods." I've never seen the guy's show - he apparently has a show - so I expected that this book was yet another catalog of EW
Sarah Souther
Have you ever eaten gator? Wildebeest? A bug? (On purpose?)

Andrew Zimmern has eaten all of these things and more. He's the host of Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel.

Here, he talks about a variety of foods that seem weird to people raised in the U.S., such as hissing cockroaches and sour lung soup. He also discusses the science and culture of the food. Don't worry--it never gets heavy. He sort of veers all over the place. In the section on brains, he tells how to make sauteed calves' brains and
Dave
Jun 23, 2014 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun distraction into the world of edible weirdness, much like his show Bizarre Foods. The book is done alphabetically although, curiously, not every letter is represented as it does come across as a book that kids would enjoy. Things like tarantulas, wildebeests, brains and maggot cheese are covered. The derivations off of each topic confused me some, especially when they didn't have much to do with food. Example: in the wildebeest section, there is a caption that states "Beast: Someone that is ...more
Sharon Lawler
Jan 03, 2013 Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-fiction-ya, food
A first glance at the cover led me to believe this would be a cookbook which featured unusual ingredients. It's way more than that! This is a great introduction to the sociology of food, from the scary stuff, like haggis, to the familiar, like Twinkies, and everything in between. Segways happen on a regular basis, so you might find yourself suddenly reading about tattoos, or studying a timeline about dancing. A list of resources is included, as well as an index. Recommended for age 8 and up, but ...more
Jenn
Nov 11, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit, non-fiction
Definitely weird stuff mixed with gross, processed foods we wouldn't blink an eye at while scarfing down. Will be great for teen booktalks. Each food is 4-6 pages with info about the food and cooking then fun facts and something relating to that food, whether it is migration and other animals or movies related to something.
Julia Rojas
Feb 24, 2013 Julia Rojas rated it really liked it
This is a good book. It is well written and it talks about different types of food. It has information about the food and it has some tips on how to cook it. It has some pictures and drawings in it. I think this book has two flaws in it. Some of the information kind of wandered away from the topic and he sometimes bragged about himself in this book.
Lisa Delaine Youngblood
Andrew Zimmern packs a lot in this bizarre book about weird food. Right up the alley of elementary studetns, middle school students, and the rest of us up for the queaziness likely to accompany reading it, the book guides readers around the world of fun food. Included are recipes, preparation hints, cultural analysis, and even barely related but incredibly cool digressions!
Lavabearian (Jessica)
Benet
Aug 17, 2013 Benet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was in the junior section of our library so it was checked out with my 9-year-old in mind, but I loved it! Graphically pleasing and a good read for anyone that enjoys Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel.
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Miss Melissa
Miss Melissa rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Aylea
Aylea rated it really liked it
May 05, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Daniel Lam
Daniel Lam rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Dale Flucker
Dale Flucker rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2017
Willie
Willie rated it liked it
May 17, 2013
Stacy
Stacy rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Polly
Polly rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2013
Megan Kinson
Megan Kinson rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Jessi
Jessi rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Cobagibu
Cobagibu rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2014
Samantha Cheney
Samantha Cheney rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2016
Abhi
Abhi rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2017
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2013
Andrew Randy Sean Zimmern (born July 4, 1961 in New York City) is a James Beard Award-winning TV personality, chef, food writer, and teacher. As the co-creator, host, and consulting producer of Travel Channel's series Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre World, he travels the world exploring food in its own native region, wherever it is found. He also hosts the show "Dini ...more
More about Andrew Zimmern...