Start by marking “Moby Dick: Chasing the Great White Whale” as Want to Read:
Moby Dick: Chasing the Great White Whale

Moby Dick: Chasing the Great White Whale

AHOY!
Come with us aboard the Pequod.
We search for Moby Dick,
 the Great White Whale!
Along with Captain Ahab,
you’ll meet danger face to face,
hunting the fiercest creature
the seas have ever known!
Are you brave enough—
and bold enough—
for the adventure of your life?

The award-winning author and illustrator team of Eric A. Kimmel and Andrew Glass introduce a new generation
Published September 4th 2012 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Moby Dick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moby Dick

Samantha
Dec 23, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
A picture book version of the great American classic. In rhyming, rhythmic text, Ishmael recounts the quest to hunt down Moby Dick and he alone was left to tell the tale.

An author's note following the story explains the inspiration behind the original and some background info about the author.

Oil and pencil illustrations. The medium chosen gives the artwork a watery haze which is highly effective in visually telling this story. PreK-2.
Ted Mccoy
Dec 16, 2012 Ted Mccoy rated it it was ok
A picture book version of Melville’s Moby Dick, told in sea shanty verse. Features some extremely well-done illustrations, but the story is an essentially traditional whaling adventure with some intense thematic elements. Good for what it is, but it’s hard to gauge the real audience for this.
Bobbi Miller
Nov 03, 2012 Bobbi Miller rated it it was amazing
“Call me Ishmael,” the story begins as the boy hero heads for New Bedford town, “a-whalin’ for to go.” It’s the adventure of a lifetime told in verse reflecting the 1-2-3 rhythms of working sea shanties of old. Eric distills the story to its emotive core as one by one Ishmael meets the ill-fated crew of the Pequod: the tattooed harpooner Queenqueg, Starbuck, Stubb, and Flash, and the rest of ‘a jolly crew.”

Then, can’t we just hear the booming baritone foreshadowing doom as Captain Ahab comes o
Erik Mueller
Kimmel, E., & Glass, A. (2012). Moby Dick: Chasing the great white whale. New York, New York: Feiwel and Friends.

Summary:
Join Ishmael as he sets out to sea on the Pequod, a whaling ship, headed by the revenge-driven Captain Ahab, a wild man in search of the great white whale Moby Dick, who had bitten off the Captain’s leg years before. This book retells the great classic tale of the whaling ship Pequod and her crew as they pursue the fearsome whale across the sea. At long last, the whale is
Barbara
I'd never have imagined a picture book version of the American classic, Moby Dick, but this one works since the author has distilled the essence of the classic whale hunting tale here, making the focus Ahab who is obsessed with finding that white whale, and young Ismael who watches it all unfold. Since it has an environmental slant, and provides background about how Herman Melville came to write such a big fish story, it will be of interest to older readers. This one is fun to read aloud since i ...more
Katie J Schwartz
"Hey, you know what would make a great children's book? Moby Dick!"

SAID NO SANE PERSON EVER.

Because, seriously, how did this come to fruition? This is the type of idea that you have during a fever dream, scribble down in your journal, and then shudder in personal embarrassment every time you glance at your own notes. It's the kind of idea that should never actually see the light of day.

I mean, Moby Dick as a children's book?

Let me give you a little sampling:

"Now, listen how to catch a whale.
We r
Lindsey
Dec 30, 2012 Lindsey rated it it was ok
I liked Kimmel's other books: Don Quixote and the Windmills and The Hero Beowulf. This one fell flat for me. Mostly, because this retelling is told in verse, which still manages to make Moby Dick inaccessible to ELLs. Alas, not the introduction to the classic tale I was hoping for.
Fives OnTheFly
Oct 19, 2012 Fives OnTheFly rated it really liked it
All of the kids enjoyed this poetic tale of Captain Ahab and his quest for the White Whale. The illustrations are very engaging. The younger Fives studied the whaling industry this past summer yet were still shocked by the depiction of the whaling crew trying and kill the whale. So, this might not be a great book for more sensitive readers. However, it is a quick summary of Melville's famous novel.
Kristen
Oct 30, 2012 Kristen rated it liked it
I love the concept of introducing this epic tale to younger readers, and the squiggly, cross hatched art depicts the ocean, swimming whales, and harpooning so interestingly. The rhyming text fits the setting well, but I wonder if the vocabulary is too advanced and/or old-fashioned for the readers at whom this book is intended. Will have to try it out with a few...
Rachel
Jun 01, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book, but couldn't ignite even the tiniest spark of love. I have read it two times trying to get a feel for it. Alas, I have given up. I felt that the words did not flow and the phrases were choppy. The illustrations were not my favorite. This book would not be at the top of my book list.
Mrsculpepper
this was a great intro to moby dick for myself and my kids. somehow i never read it in either highschool or college. the illustrations are gorgeous and the story is interesting enough i might read the original.
Kristina
Dec 22, 2013 Kristina rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-kids
I really liked the way this rendition was done for kids. The story was simplified just the right amount - and it even rhymed. The pictures were beautiful and enjoyable to look at. I would love to see a whole series of classics done this way for children.
Laura Z
Jan 20, 2013 Laura Z rated it did not like it
I wasn't impressed with the style of illustrations, and who thought it would be a great idea to make a young children's picture book of a story where killing a whale is fairly graphically described and many men are killed?? One star.
Katie Hainsworth
Apr 12, 2014 Katie Hainsworth rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Fantastic illustrations, although some are a bit blurry. The story is a bit abrupt. They all go out to sea to get this whale. But the whale is larger than life and everyone dies except the narrator. The end.
Pam P
May 11, 2013 Pam P rated it really liked it
The text is beautifully written in a poem format and the illustrations help you "feel" the ocean. I'm just not sure who the audience is for this one. It will give children a very small taste of Moby Dick and I liked the added information at the back of the book.
Shawn
Oct 04, 2012 Shawn rated it really liked it
Kimmel admirably condenses the story of Moby Dick into a picture book format for youngsters ages 4 and up. Paintings by Andrew Glass make this a great story for read-aloud or read-alone.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 06, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good, bare bones distillation of the Moby Dick story for younger readers featuring some fabulously awesome illustrations by Andrew Glass.
Kevin Summers
Dec 24, 2016 Kevin Summers rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Thankfully, this picture book is very faithful to the original novel.
Elisabeth
Dec 19, 2012 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations. I have not read Moby Dick so I can't compare this to Melville's but I am struggling with the audience - whom and why?
Ilib4kids
May 13, 2013 Ilib4kids rated it it was amazing
E KIMMEL
Dec 17, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
A picture book retelling of Moby Dick. Not for children, but would pair nicely with a study of the classic Melville text.
Matt
Aug 22, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Paula
Oct 18, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
Captain Ahab takes his crew on a mission to find Moby Dick, the great white whale that crippled him. the classic story in picture book rhyming format. Expressive illustrations
Tara
Jan 30, 2013 Tara rated it did not like it
No....just, no.
Rani
Jan 30, 2016 Rani rated it really liked it
"Call me Ishmael..." The famous line comes from the classic work of Herman Melville Moby Dick. The book focuses on a single memorable and action-filled scene in the novel.

Great work!
Sharon Lawler
Oct 20, 2012 Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it
Everything from the art, to the glossary, and the author's note combine to introduce this epic novel to the younger student. Beautiful book.
Mrs. Miriam
Mrs. Miriam rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2017
mg
mg rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2013
Angela Scott
Angela Scott rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Meredith S.
Meredith S. rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Eric A. Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946. He attended PS 193, Andries Hudde Junior High School, and Midwood High School. Brooklyn College was across the street from his high school, so he didn’t want to go there. He headed west, to Easton, Pennsylvania where he graduated from Lafayette College in 1967 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature.
Eric worked as an elementary school teache
More about Eric A. Kimmel...