Moby Dick: Chasing the Great White Whale

Moby Dick: Chasing the Great White Whale

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  22 reviews
AHOY!
Come with us aboard the Pequod.
We search for Moby Dick,
the Great White Whale!
Along with Captain Ahab,
you’ll meet danger face to face,
hunting the fiercest creature
the seas have ever known!
Are you brave enough—
and bold enough—
for the adventure of your life?

The award-winning author and illustrator team of Eric A. Kimmel and Andrew Glass introduce a new generation of...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Feiwel & Friends

Ted Mccoy
A picture book version of Melville’s Moby Dick, told in sea shanty verse. Features some extremely well-done illustrations, but the story is an essentially traditional whaling adventure with some intense thematic elements. Good for what it is, but it’s hard to gauge the real audience for this.
Bobbi Miller
“Call me Ishmael,” the story begins as the boy hero heads for New Bedford town, “a-whalin’ for to go.” It’s the adventure of a lifetime told in verse reflecting the 1-2-3 rhythms of working sea shanties of old. Eric distills the story to its emotive core as one by one Ishmael meets the ill-fated crew of the Pequod: the tattooed harpooner Queenqueg, Starbuck, Stubb, and Flash, and the rest of ‘a jolly crew.”

Then, can’t we just hear the booming baritone foreshadowing doom as Captain Ahab comes o...more
Barbara
I'd never have imagined a picture book version of the American classic, Moby Dick, but this one works since the author has distilled the essence of the classic whale hunting tale here, making the focus Ahab who is obsessed with finding that white whale, and young Ismael who watches it all unfold. Since it has an environmental slant, and provides background about how Herman Melville came to write such a big fish story, it will be of interest to older readers. This one is fun to read aloud since i...more
Katie
"Hey, you know what would make a great children's book? Moby Dick!"

SAID NO SANE PERSON EVER.

Because, seriously, how did this come to fruition? This is the type of idea that you have during a fever dream, scribble down in your journal, and then shudder in personal embarrassment every time you glance at your own notes. It's the kind of idea that should never actually see the light of day.

I mean, Moby Dick as a children's book?

Let me give you a little sampling:

"Now, listen how to catch a whale.
We r...more
Katie Hainsworth
Fantastic illustrations, although some are a bit blurry. The story is a bit abrupt. They all go out to sea to get this whale. But the whale is larger than life and everyone dies except the narrator. The end.
Samantha
A picture book version of the great American classic. In rhyming, rhythmic text, Ishmael recounts the quest to hunt down Moby Dick and he alone was left to tell the tale.

An author's note following the story explains the inspiration behind the original and some background info about the author.

Oil and pencil illustrations. The medium chosen gives the artwork a watery haze which is highly effective in telling in visually telling this story. PreK-2.
Lindsey
I liked Kimmel's other books: Don Quixote and the Windmills and The Hero Beowulf. This one fell flat for me. Mostly, because this retelling is told in verse, which still manages to make Moby Dick inaccessible to ELLs. Alas, not the introduction to the classic tale I was hoping for.
Fives OnTheFly
All of the kids enjoyed this poetic tale of Captain Ahab and his quest for the White Whale. The illustrations are very engaging. The younger Fives studied the whaling industry this past summer yet were still shocked by the depiction of the whaling crew trying and kill the whale. So, this might not be a great book for more sensitive readers. However, it is a quick summary of Melville's famous novel.
Kristen
I love the concept of introducing this epic tale to younger readers, and the squiggly, cross hatched art depicts the ocean, swimming whales, and harpooning so interestingly. The rhyming text fits the setting well, but I wonder if the vocabulary is too advanced and/or old-fashioned for the readers at whom this book is intended. Will have to try it out with a few...
Rachel
I really wanted to love this book, but couldn't ignite even the tiniest spark of love. I have read it two times trying to get a feel for it. Alas, I have given up. I felt that the words did not flow and the phrases were choppy. The illustrations were not my favorite. This book would not be at the top of my book list.
Kristina
I really liked the way this rendition was done for kids. The story was simplified just the right amount - and it even rhymed. The pictures were beautiful and enjoyable to look at. I would love to see a whole series of classics done this way for children.
Annelise
Fun and pretty retelling of Moby Dick in verse (and far fewer words). However, the (possible) moral of the original, regarding obsession and revenge, is changed here to simply "don't hunt whales". Which makes it more of an "inspired-by", rather than a retelling, of the novel.
Pam
The text is beautifully written in a poem format and the illustrations help you "feel" the ocean. I'm just not sure who the audience is for this one. It will give children a very small taste of Moby Dick and I liked the added information at the back of the book.
Laura Z
I wasn't impressed with the style of illustrations, and who thought it would be a great idea to make a young children's picture book of a story where killing a whale is fairly graphically described and many men are killed?? One star.
Mrsculpepper
this was a great intro to moby dick for myself and my kids. somehow i never read it in either highschool or college. the illustrations are gorgeous and the story is interesting enough i might read the original.
Shawn
Kimmel admirably condenses the story of Moby Dick into a picture book format for youngsters ages 4 and up. Paintings by Andrew Glass make this a great story for read-aloud or read-alone.
Paula
Captain Ahab takes his crew on a mission to find Moby Dick, the great white whale that crippled him. the classic story in picture book rhyming format. Expressive illustrations
Edward Sullivan
A good, bare bones distillation of the Moby Dick story for younger readers featuring some fabulously awesome illustrations by Andrew Glass.
Elisabeth
Beautiful illustrations. I have not read Moby Dick so I can't compare this to Melville's but I am struggling with the audience - whom and why?
Sharon Lawler
Everything from the art, to the glossary, and the author's note combine to introduce this epic novel to the younger student. Beautiful book.
A picture book retelling of Moby Dick. Not for children, but would pair nicely with a study of the classic Melville text.
Tara
No....just, no.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Denis A.
Denis A. marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Zakayla
Zakayla marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Eric A. Kimmel was born in Brooklyn, NY in 1946. He attended PS 193, Andries Hudde Junior High School, and Midwood High School. Brooklyn College was across the street from his high school, so he didn’t want to go there. He headed west, to Easton, Pennsylvania where he graduated from Lafayette College in 1967 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature.
Eric worked as an elementary school teache...more
More about Eric A. Kimmel...
Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins Anansi and the Moss-Covered Rock Anansi and the Talking Melon The Goose Girl: A Story from the Brothers Grimm I Took My Frog to the Library