Start by marking “Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend” as Want to Read:
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

Read Excerpt

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  21,910 Ratings  ·  3,742 Reviews
Imaginary friend Budo narrates this heartwarming story of love, loyalty, and the power of the imagination—the perfect read for anyone who has ever had a friend . . . real or otherwise

Budo is lucky as imaginary friends go. He's been alive for more than five years, which is positively ancient in the world of imaginary friends. But Budo feels his age, and thinks constantly of
Published August 21st 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, please sign up.

vLadimiR
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Carol
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew DicksGone Girl by Gillian FlynnDream Lake by Lisa KleypasOne Breath Away by Heather GudenkaufSiddhartha by Hermann Hesse
My Faves of 2012
1st out of 12 books — 23 voters
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew DicksSmog City by Rebecca McNuttPobby and Dingan by Ben RiceThe Imaginary by A.F. HarroldCrenshaw by Katherine Applegate
Fiction Books About Imaginary Friends
1st out of 18 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Kim
Sep 01, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing

I am a horrible person (ME.ME.ME.ME.ME.ME). I am worse than a horrible person. I am a killer. I am worse than a killer.
I am a killer of dreams.

My daughter, Marley, was about 3 when she introduced me to Hartluv. At first I thought that there were some hippy parents who subjected their child to this moniker. Maybe someone in her pre-school class but then I thought, we live in Manchester, NH. No one is that bright or weird in Manchester, NH. (we were planning our escape). It went like this:

Marley:
Nandakishore Varma
Here is what I know:

My Name is Budo.

I have been alive for five years.

Five years is very long for someone like me to be alive.

Max gave me my name.

Max is the only human person who can see me.

Max's parents call me an imaginary friend.

I love Max's teacher, Mrs Gosk.

I do not like Max's other teacher, Mrs Patterson.

I am not imaginary.

So begins one of the most unusual and frustrating books I have ever read, Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green.

Many kids have imaginary friends, who last for v
Callie
May 22, 2012 Callie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2012, booktopiaca2012
Started yesterday, and I couldn't put it down!

I loved every moment I spent with Budo and his friend, Max, and I just can't recommend this highly enough, especially for people who liked A Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime, or Room. I think I actually liked this a little better than both of those!

There were some very tender moments, some very sad moments, some very funny moments... I went through way more kleenax than I was anticipating!

I can't wait to start lending this out to people!
Joanne-in-Canada
May 03, 2012 Joanne-in-Canada rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Flipping ahead, like cholesterol, can be bad or good.

Bad flipping ahead means I'm losing interest and either looking for a reason to keep reading, or skimming through the rest of the plot before I stop reading.

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend was subjected to good flipping ahead. Part way through, I simultaneously couldn't stand the suspense and didn't want to rush this wonderful journey with Max and his imaginary friend Budo, so I flipped ahead a little, then came back to relish the details.

I wa
Natalie Monroe
Damn if this book doesn't get me right in the feels.

To my imaginary friend, Tie (I was five, okay?):

You were a part of my childhood and I will never ever forget you.
Thomas
Dec 24, 2012 Thomas rated it it was amazing
Have you ever watched a movie where you knew how it was going to end right from the beginning, but you still cried when the ending came anyway? That's what happened to me with Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.

Budo is Max's imaginary friend. He looks more human than most imaginary friends, can pass through doors and windows, and he loves Max. The bad part is that if Max stops believing in him, Budo will disappear. Max's life moves as smoothly as it can for a child with a mental disability until one
Joca
Feb 12, 2016 Joca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5*
Opinião em vídeo:
Mark Rice
Mar 25, 2012 Mark Rice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On every level, this book is worthy of five stars. The story is original, touching and memorable. Budo (the narrator and main character) is a captivating mixture of innocence, childlike wisdom, love, wonder and fear. Matthew Green's characters are so vivid that they remain with the reader after the book is finished. Right from the opening page, the novel engaged my full attention, stirring up emotions that grew stronger as the story progressed. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend is a masterclass in ...more
Mia Searles (The Muses Circle)
Aug 22, 2012 Mia Searles (The Muses Circle) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, arcs
This review and more can be viewed on my blog at: The Muses Circle

"I wish there was a Heaven. If I knew there was a Heaven for me, then I would save Max for sure. I wouldn't be afraid because there would be a place to go after this place. Another place. But I don't think there is a Heaven, and I definitely don't think there is a Heaven for imaginary friends. Heaven is only supposed to be for people who God made, and God didn't make me. Max made me."

I normally don't start my reviews with a quote,
Autumn
Jul 02, 2012 Autumn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the biggest surprises for me of the year. I was blown away by how emotional and heart-wrenching this book was at times. That might be because of what an awesome job the narrator, Matthew Brown, did with the audiobook. The story was absolutely fantastic, but Mr. Brown brought Budo to life just as surely as Max Delaney did.

In Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend when a child creates an imaginary friend they are real. Only, no one but the child that created him (and other imaginary fr
Alex
May 18, 2012 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had several imaginary friends, one was a girl named Elizabeth, one was a girl named Jessica, one was a dog named Bonzo. Bonzo was the best. I miss Bonzo. Jessica was a bit mean, Elizabeth a bit pasty. Sorry, Elizabeth, you did stick around for quite a while, and I don't want you to feel unappreciated. But you were a little bit pasty, in hindsight. Bonzo, on the other hand, was solid and loyal and... he persisted.
I don't know how long these friends stuck around for, but the times spent with th
Caleb Wilson
Jun 20, 2012 Caleb Wilson rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book. Pitch-perfect narrative voice. It proved impossible for me to set it down once I reached the halfway mark. The ending made me perform an imaginary fist pump of triumph.
Nikki
Jan 18, 2013 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nikki by: 'Best books of 2012' lists.
I'd read/heard so many people rave about this book and the synopsis sounded pretty interesting too, so I couldn't not read it. However, I really didn't like it. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but I just didn't get sucked into the story at all. I didn't feel involved with any of the characters, I didn't like the writing style (it reminded me a lot of Room, a book I started but didn't finish because of exactly this reason) and the plot was borderline ridiculous. Not to mention all th ...more
Lilyan (Little Yams)
THIS BOOK MADE ME CREATE A SIX STARS SHELF.

“Maybe we are all somebody's devil”

There are no words to describe how beautiful this book is. I've written down so many quotes from the story, it fills up 10 pages in my notebook. And I have small hand writing.

After finishing this book I couldn't stop crying for 15 minutes, no joke. It wasn't the hysterical kind of cry. It was the type
Dianne
Aug 10, 2014 Dianne rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Budo is the narrator of this book. He is the imaginary friend of Max, a eight year old autistic boy who "imagined" Budo 5 years earlier. Budo watches over Max but being imaginary, cannot make his presence felt in the real world. This becomes a problem when Max is in real danger and Budo must find a way to help his friend.

Dicks creates a well-imagined (pardon the pun) world for imaginary friends, who come in all forms and shapes and degrees of complexity. Very poignant and thoughtful, I can't ima
Charbel
Jan 26, 2016 Charbel rated it it was amazing
The plot:
Budo is Max's imaginary friend. Max has Aspergers, or at leat some mild form of autism; and no one really understands him as well as Budo. Budo is also special because, as far as imaginary friends go, Budo looks pretty human, not to mention that he's also been alive for 6 years, which among his own kind is quite extraordinary. And even though Budo has been around for a long time, Max needs him now more than ever.
Despite the fact that the plot is predictable, the premise (that of an imag
Lisa Rostocki
This book is about an boy who has autism and his imaginary friend. In the beginning of the book the author prefices it by saying that Budo the imaginary friend knows much more than Max and has more intelligence. I would have thought that the author took that literary license to write in a more adult fashion. I actually looked up the book on the internet to see if it was meant for children to read.The book was written in a childish tone and flowed terribly in the beginning. I almost didn't contin ...more
Melissa Storm
Dec 31, 2013 Melissa Storm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was perfect. Have you ever read something that ended so beautifully, incorporating even the most minor plot points in its resolution, that you couldn't help but cry as you reached the final page? It's a rare experience, but an amazing one. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend has earned its place among my favorites, along with a 5-star rating from this stingy reviewer.

Written in the simple and repetitive voice of Budo, the imaginary friend of an 8-year-old with Asberger's, this novel sucks y
Kwoomac
This book was nothing like author Matthew Dicks' previous novels. Ok, maybe not completely true. The protagonist is not a quirky adult with OCD, but an eight-year-old boy with autistic features. Actually, he's not the main protag, his imaginary friend is.

This is a truly poignant tale told through the eyes of Budo, the imaginary friend of Max Delaney. According to Budo, imaginary friends are real. It was a fun concept. Budo can go places without Max, and often wanders off if he's bored. He has fr
Deb
Jun 03, 2016 Deb rated it it was amazing
Could not put this book down once I started it. So uniquely and beautifully written! A story of friendship and finding strength.
Reddish
Feb 03, 2016 Reddish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Increíble. Al principio tenía la sensación de que sería el típico libro infantil, pero derrepente... BUM! Empiezan a suceder cosas y más cosas y te acabas encariñando con Budo y te enfadas bastante con Max y.... LECTURA OBLIGATORIA.

"Es el diablo bajo la pálida luz de la luna."
Vicky
Feb 23, 2016 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, rc2016
4.5 estrellas

OMG, OMG, OMG. Este libro es.. es.. Wow.

Cuando comencé a leerlo no pensé que me llegaría a gustar tanto, ¡pero me encantó!
En las primeras páginas llegué a preguntarme qué giro le darían al libro, qué es lo que harían para hacer de este libro interesante, qué "algo" tendría su historia. ¡Y JAMÁS ME IMAGINÉ QUE PASARÍA ESO! Este libro me tuvo con el corazón en la boca en la última mitad, quería saber qué pasaba, cómo terminaría, cómo se solucionaría. Me gustaron todos los personajes,
Kats
Sep 30, 2014 Kats rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a child I never had an imaginary friend, and having read Budo's and Max's story, I now feel as though I missed out big time. Their relationship is so special, so heart-warming and virtually irreplaceable by a friendship amongst normal mortals.

As if getting into the hearts and minds of both Budo and Max wasn't brillantly enough, Matthew Dicks then takes us on a very suspenseful adventure, and for a couple of hundred pages I was inseparable from the book (which incidentally was great news for
Cheryl
Aug 28, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Reading this book made me feel like a child again. I loved Budo. I wished that I had such a vivid imagination as Max did with Budo when I was growing up. I never really had an imaginary friend growing up but this probably had to do with I had a younger sister to play with. She and I would make things up ourselves. However, if I was an only child, I would have wanted a friend like Budo. It was very creative of Max to give Budo the ability to walk through walls.

I do admit that at first I was a li
Yarely
Jan 13, 2016 Yarely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
"Quiza todos somos el demonio de alguien"

Que bonito que el primer libro que leo en este año haya sido tan bueno.
El final es muy predecible, desde que empece a leer el libro supe que iba a terminar así, lo supuse, pero igual cuando llegue a los últimos capítulos donde efectivamente estaba pasando lo que creía, me dolió.
Los personajes son maravillosos y bien pensados, Max, un niño totalmente diferente y tan inteligente, yo me moría de ganas de entrar en el libro y abrazarlo con todas mis fuerzas,
Javier
Jun 24, 2012 Javier rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
En realidad le doy un 3,5. Es verdad que la voz del niño y cómo explica el universo "Imaginario" está muy bien, pero después se hace muy repetitivo y, en mi opinión, un fallo grave es que TODOS los amigos imaginarios excepto el prota hablan de la misma manera. Da igual si es un anciano o un niño-cuchara, su voz es la misma y saben prácticamente las mismas cosas... Se lee rápido porque son frases cortas. Y también porque mantiene la curiosidad de saber cómo saldrán del tinglado.
Tania
Sep 12, 2014 Tania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a sweet, innocent story. Told from the viewpoint of an imaginary friend of a boy with aspegers, it is very original. It made me think about imaginary friends in a differant way. It also made me cry. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed room or curious incident of a dog at nighttime.
Joost
Ik wil nu mijn denkbeeldige vriendje terug! Mijn recensie over dit aandoenlijke boek met een unieke hoofdpersoon kan je hier lezen: http://nerdygeekyfanboy.com/recensie/...
Larry Hoffer
Nov 30, 2012 Larry Hoffer rated it it was amazing
Budo is an imaginary friend. The boy who imagined him, eight-year-old Max Delaney, had a vivid imagination, so Budo looks much more real than most imaginary friends. He can pass through doors, and travel anywhere he wants to go, but he doesn't ever sleep, and he can't pick things up, because Max didn't imagine Budo doing those things.

"I live in a strange place in the world," Budo says. "I live in the space in between people. I spend most of my time in the kid world with Max, but I also spend a l
Connie
This delightful book is narrated by Budo, the imaginary friend of Max Delaney. Eight-year-old Max has a hard time interacting with other people since he's on the autistic spectrum, but he's helped by Budo's good advice and love. Budo is a very observant, smart imaginary friend who has plenty of time to watch humans interact since he doesn't have to sleep. When Max has to escape from a frightful situation, Budo rises to the occasion to help Max figure out what to do.

I enjoyed this engaging book.
OSU Marion 3356 S...: HONORS- Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend 3 4 May 06, 2016 11:58AM
Autism 4 10 Sep 30, 2015 06:01AM
The Ending (Do Not read if you haven't finished the book yet!) 20 477 Aug 07, 2015 07:18AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks 1 18 Jun 20, 2015 03:48AM
  • A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty
  • Running the Rift
  • The Care and Handling of Roses with Thorns
  • Goodbye for Now
  • The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D.
  • The Healing
  • Ojos azules en Kabul
  • The Enchanted Life of Adam Hope
  • The Green Shore
  • The Underside of Joy
Matthew Dicks is the internationally bestselling author of the novels Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, Something Missing and Unexpectedly, Milo, and The Perfect Comeback of Caroline Jacobs. His novels have been translated into more than 25 languages worldwide.

He is also the author of the rock opera The Clowns and the musicals Caught in the Middle and Sticks & Stones. He has also written comic b
More about Matthew Dicks...

“You have to be the bravest person in the world to go out every day, being yourself when no one likes who you are.” 213 likes
“Everyone is someone's devil.” 105 likes