Start by marking “Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend” as Want to Read:
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend
Open Preview read excerpt

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  15,120 ratings  ·  2,817 reviews
Budo is Max's imaginary friend. But though only Max can see him, he is real. He and the other imaginary friends watch over their children until the day comes that the child stops imagining them. And then they're gone. Budo has lasted a lot longer than most imaginary friends - four years - because Max needs him more. His parents argue about sending him to a special school. ...more
Published August 21st 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kathleen Beaton Well, thanks for taking that away from my reading experience. I wouldn't have expected it either and now I don't get to be surprised.
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew DicksGone Girl by Gillian FlynnDream Lake by Lisa KleypasOne Breath Away by Heather GudenkaufSiddhartha by Hermann Hesse
My Faves of 2012
1st out of 12 books — 23 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Bad Beginning by Lemony SnicketThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Unique Narrators
65th out of 255 books — 295 voters

More lists with this book...

Kim

I am a horrible person (ME.ME.ME.ME.ME.ME). I am worse than a horrible person. I am a killer. I am worse than a killer.
I am a killer of dreams.

My daughter, Marley, was about 3 when she introduced me to Hartluv. At first I thought that there were some hippy parents who subjected their child to this moniker. Maybe someone in her pre-school class but then I thought, we live in Manchester, NH. No one is that bright or weird in Manchester, NH. (we were planning our escape). It went like this:

Marley:
Nandakishore Varma
Here is what I know:

My Name is Budo.

I have been alive for five years.

Five years is very long for someone like me to be alive.

Max gave me my name.

Max is the only human person who can see me.

Max's parents call me an imaginary friend.

I love Max's teacher, Mrs Gosk.

I do not like Max's other teacher, Mrs Patterson.

I am not imaginary.

So begins one of the most unusual and frustrating books I have ever read, Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Green.

Many kids have imaginary friends, who last for v
Callie
Started yesterday, and I couldn't put it down!

I loved every moment I spent with Budo and his friend, Max, and I just can't recommend this highly enough, especially for people who liked A Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime, or Room. I think I actually liked this a little better than both of those!

There were some very tender moments, some very sad moments, some very funny moments... I went through way more kleenax than I was anticipating!

I can't wait to start lending this out to people!
Joanne in Canada
Flipping ahead, like cholesterol, can be bad or good.

Bad flipping ahead means I'm losing interest and either looking for a reason to keep reading, or skimming through the rest of the plot before I stop reading.

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend was subjected to good flipping ahead. Part way through, I simultaneously couldn't stand the suspense and didn't want to rush this wonderful journey with Max and his imaginary friend Budo, so I flipped ahead a little, then came back to relish the details.

I wa
Thomas
Have you ever watched a movie where you knew how it was going to end right from the beginning, but you still cried when the ending came anyway? That's what happened to me with Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.

Budo is Max's imaginary friend. He looks more human than most imaginary friends, can pass through doors and windows, and he loves Max. The bad part is that if Max stops believing in him, Budo will disappear. Max's life moves as smoothly as it can for a child with a mental disability until one
Cheryl
This book is creative. The author uses an imaginary friend as the narrator speaking to readers with the limitations of a child's mind and experience, and the powerful memories of love. It is about gratitude for living, mastery of how the world works, and finally, it is about disappearance.

Disappearance from a crippling phase of childhood, an abductor who has been a trusted school mentor, dependence on an imaginary friend, to saving oneself in reality.

Imagination is paramount at an early age in o
Autumn
This book is one of the biggest surprises for me of the year. I was blown away by how emotional and heart-wrenching this book was at times. That might be because of what an awesome job the narrator, Matthew Brown, did with the audiobook. The story was absolutely fantastic, but Mr. Brown brought Budo to life just as surely as Max Delaney did.

In Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend when a child creates an imaginary friend they are real. Only, no one but the child that created him (and other imaginary fr
Natalie Monroe
Damn if this book doesn't get me right in the feels.

To my imaginary friend, Tie (I was five, okay?):

You were a part of my childhood and I will never ever forget you.
Mark Rice
On every level, this book is worthy of five stars. The story is original, touching and memorable. Budo (the narrator and main character) is a captivating mixture of innocence, childlike wisdom, love, wonder and fear. Matthew Green's characters are so vivid that they remain with the reader after the book is finished. Right from the opening page, the novel engaged my full attention, stirring up emotions that grew stronger as the story progressed. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend is a masterclass in ...more
Alex
I had several imaginary friends, one was a girl named Elizabeth, one was a girl named Jessica, one was a dog named Bonzo. Bonzo was the best. I miss Bonzo. Jessica was a bit mean, Elizabeth a bit pasty. Sorry, Elizabeth, you did stick around for quite a while, and I don't want you to feel unappreciated. But you were a little bit pasty, in hindsight. Bonzo, on the other hand, was solid and loyal and... he persisted.
I don't know how long these friends stuck around for, but the times spent with th
Mia Searles (The Muses Circle)
This review and more can be viewed on my blog at: The Muses Circle

"I wish there was a Heaven. If I knew there was a Heaven for me, then I would save Max for sure. I wouldn't be afraid because there would be a place to go after this place. Another place. But I don't think there is a Heaven, and I definitely don't think there is a Heaven for imaginary friends. Heaven is only supposed to be for people who God made, and God didn't make me. Max made me."

I normally don't start my reviews with a quote,
Caleb Wilson
A wonderful book. Pitch-perfect narrative voice. It proved impossible for me to set it down once I reached the halfway mark. The ending made me perform an imaginary fist pump of triumph.
Nikki
Jan 18, 2013 Nikki rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nikki by: 'Best books of 2012' lists.
I'd read/heard so many people rave about this book and the synopsis sounded pretty interesting too, so I couldn't not read it. However, I really didn't like it. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but I just didn't get sucked into the story at all. I didn't feel involved with any of the characters, I didn't like the writing style (it reminded me a lot of Room, a book I started but didn't finish because of exactly this reason) and the plot was borderline ridiculous. Not to mention all th ...more
Kwoomac
This book was nothing like author Matthew Dicks' previous novels. Ok, maybe not completely true. The protagonist is not a quirky adult with OCD, but an eight-year-old boy with autistic features. Actually, he's not the main protag, his imaginary friend is.

This is a truly poignant tale told through the eyes of Budo, the imaginary friend of Max Delaney. According to Budo, imaginary friends are real. It was a fun concept. Budo can go places without Max, and often wanders off if he's bored. He has fr
Lilyan
THIS BOOK MADE ME CREATE A SIX STARS SHELF.

“Maybe we are all somebody's devil”

There are no words to describe how beautiful this book is. I've written down so many quotes from the story, it fills up 10 pages in my notebook. And I have small hand writing.

After finishing this book I couldn't stop crying for 15 minutes, no joke. It wasn't the hysterical kind of cry. It was the type
Stephanie
This review originally appeared at www.readinasinglesitting.com.

In the few months before my little sister started primary school, she had a new best friend: Cookie. Cookie trumped her other friends with ease, in large part because Cookie was imaginary. Imaginary friends, of course, are subject to the creative boundaries of their imaginers, and are also bolstered by their imaginers’ sense of what a friend should be. Needless to say, Cookie was essentially flawless.

Cookie also disappeared not long
Emlyn Chand
This book was perfect. Have you ever read something that ended so beautifully, incorporating even the most minor plot points in its resolution, that you couldn't help but cry as you reached the final page? It's a rare experience, but an amazing one. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend has earned its place among my favorites, along with a 5-star rating from this stingy reviewer.

Written in the simple and repetitive voice of Budo, the imaginary friend of an 8-year-old with Asberger's, this novel sucks y
Cheryl
Reading this book made me feel like a child again. I loved Budo. I wished that I had such a vivid imagination as Max did with Budo when I was growing up. I never really had an imaginary friend growing up but this probably had to do with I had a younger sister to play with. She and I would make things up ourselves. However, if I was an only child, I would have wanted a friend like Budo. It was very creative of Max to give Budo the ability to walk through walls.

I do admit that at first I was a li
Tania
This was such a sweet, innocent story. Told from the viewpoint of an imaginary friend of a boy with aspegers, it is very original. It made me think about imaginary friends in a differant way. It also made me cry. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed room or curious incident of a dog at nighttime.
Sara
Increíble. Al principio tenía la sensación de que sería el típico libro infantil, pero derrepente... BUM! Empiezan a suceder cosas y más cosas y te acabas encariñando con Budo y te enfadas bastante con Max y.... LECTURA OBLIGATORIA.

"Es el diablo bajo la pálida luz de la luna."
Kats
As a child I never had an imaginary friend, and having read Budo's and Max's story, I now feel as though I missed out big time. Their relationship is so special, so heart-warming and virtually irreplaceable by a friendship amongst normal mortals.

As if getting into the hearts and minds of both Budo and Max wasn't brillantly enough, Matthew Dicks then takes us on a very suspenseful adventure, and for a couple of hundred pages I was inseparable from the book (which incidentally was great news for
Lisa Rostocki
This book is about an boy who has autism and his imaginary friend. In the beginning of the book the author prefices it by saying that Budo the imaginary friend knows much more than Max and has more intelligence. I would have thought that the author took that literary license to write in a more adult fashion. I actually looked up the book on the internet to see if it was meant for children to read.The book was written in a childish tone and flowed terribly in the beginning. I almost didn't contin ...more
Javier
En realidad le doy un 3,5. Es verdad que la voz del niño y cómo explica el universo "Imaginario" está muy bien, pero después se hace muy repetitivo y, en mi opinión, un fallo grave es que TODOS los amigos imaginarios excepto el prota hablan de la misma manera. Da igual si es un anciano o un niño-cuchara, su voz es la misma y saben prácticamente las mismas cosas... Se lee rápido porque son frases cortas. Y también porque mantiene la curiosidad de saber cómo saldrán del tinglado.
Komal
Nov 13, 2012 Komal rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with a heart
Shelves: romance-drama
― Matthew Dicks, Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

Mr. Matthew Dicks (alias Matthew Green as mentioned in the acknowledgements), forced me to try my hardest to imagine an imaginary friend while sitting on my couch, and stocking up on all the qualities I'd like in one, just to end up with nothing but 15 minutes of regrets of being an adult. Oh childhood! How I wish I could relive thee.

B
Georgiana 1792
Non sono esperta di psicologia né di filosofia, quindi le mie riflessioni su questo libro nascono semplicemente dall'impatto emotivo che ha avuto su di me. Il narratore è Budo, l'amico immaginario di un bambino di nove anni, autistico. Questa parola non viene mai pronunciata nel corso del libro, perché Budo non l'ha mai sentita. Ecco come Budo vede Max:

Secondo me il papà di Max sbaglia a credere che lui sia semplicemente un po’ lento. Io con Max ci passo buona parte della giornata, quindi vedo q
Debbie
Budo and Max are best friends, Max created Budo from his imagination. Budo is Max’s imaginary friend. Budo is different from other imaginary friends, he’s been alive for longer than any imaginary friend he knows and he looks more human than a lot of imaginary friends do, that’s because Max is different than most boys his age. Max lives inside himself a lot, he doesn’t like to be touched and sometimes he get’s “stuck” inside himself too, this makes him a target for bullies and the other kids don’ ...more
Rula Bilbeisi
Budo is not an imaginary friend, Budo is real. He is the character that you love, laugh with, and actually feel so sad when he no longer exists …. Persist!

One thing for sure, this book is magically different. It is one book that leads you into the mind of a an extra ordinary child, who is different not because people see him as such, but because (as Budo said) he has a lot going on inside him that he doesn’t worry so much about what is going on outside him. Max is truly one brave child who is do
Melinda Worfolk
This one has an interesting premise: the narrator, Budo, is the imaginary friend of a real eight-year-old boy, Max. According to Budo, most imaginary friends don't last as long as he has (five years) because most real kids stop needing their imaginary friends by the time they're Max's age. However, Max is different from other kids; he hates change, doesn't understand social situations very well, and occasionally gets "stuck" when a situation freaks him out. The reader will quickly deduce that Ma ...more
Helen Hart
Just when you think there's no originality left and all the good stories have all been told... along comes 'Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend' by an author new to me - Matthew Green (the UK pen-name of the US author Matthew Dicks). What a wonderful, gripping read. Narrator Budo grabs you on page one and simply doesn't let you go.

I was fascinated by the world Green conjures. At times achingly familiar, yet at the same time strange, the reality inhabited by imaginary friends is magical yet firmly ro
Connie
This delightful book is narrated by Budo, the imaginary friend of Max Delaney. Eight-year-old Max has a hard time interacting with other people since he's on the autistic spectrum, but he's helped by Budo's good advice and love. Budo is a very observant, smart imaginary friend who has plenty of time to watch humans interact since he doesn't have to sleep. When Max has to escape from a frightful situation, Budo rises to the occasion to help Max figure out what to do.

I enjoyed this engaging book.
  • Running the Rift
  • La bibliotecaria de Auschwitz
  • Outside the Lines
  • The Care and Handling of Roses with Thorns
  • The Dog Stars
  • January First: A Child's Descent into Madness and Her Father's Struggle to Save Her
  • Los días que nos separan
  • The Promise of Stardust
  • The Boy Who Could See Demons
  • The Healing
  • A Constellation of Vital Phenomena
  • Me, Who Dove into the Heart of the World
  • El brillo de las luciérnagas
Matthew Dicks is the author of the novels Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, Something Missing and Unexpectedly, Milo and the rock opera The Clowns. His novels have been translated into more than 25 languages worldwide, and his most recent is an international bestseller. He is also a columnist for Seasons magazine and has published work in The Hartford Courant, The Huffington Post and The Christian S ...more
More about Matthew Dicks...
Something Missing Unexpectedly, Milo The Perfect Comeback of Caroline Jacobs: A Novel Buzz Books 2012 25 Years in the Rearview Mirror: 52 Authors Look Back

“You have to be the bravest person in the world to go out every day, being yourself when no one likes who you are.” 172 likes
“Everyone is someone's devil.” 77 likes