Start by marking “Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)

Dream Lake (Friday Harbor #3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  7,004 ratings  ·  878 reviews
They say that opposites attract. But what happens when one of them has been devastated by betrayal and the other is so damaged and jaded that his heart is made of stone? In New York Times bestselling author Lisa Kleypas's Dream Lake, readers well enter the world of Friday Harbor, an enchanting town in the Pacific Northwest where things are not quite as they seem and where...more
Published August 7th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dream Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream Lake

Jill

The best so far in the Friday Harbor series, but....

Zoe Hoffman is a great cook, her creations are almost magical. With her grandmother needing full-time care, Zoe takes on the responsibility, renovating her cottage. Alex, the youngest Nolan brother is in a bad place. With his marriage break-up and now financially broke, Alex is spiraling down into alcoholism. Zoe hires Alex to renovate the cottage.

As with the previous books in this series there are some paranormal elements to the contemporary s...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Lisa Kleypas has made me fall in love with many of her heroes – Kev Merripen, Derek Craven, Sebastian St. Vincent, Jack Travis – now I can add Alex Nolan to this list.

I felt that Zoe and Alex were a great match for one another. Though they bicker with one another often, it showed people how willing they were to deal with one another even though they are difficult. I find it more interesting to have a couple work at being in a relationship than reading about one that falls so easily into place.

Zo...more
Kristin (KC)
*4 Stars*

This story was sweet, touching, and magical...and the writing—impeccable. The characters were so well-rounded and complete; I just adored them all!

"You and I both got it wrong, Alex: Love does last. In fact...it's the only thing that does."

Alex: Brooding, sexy, gorgeous, tortured but not beyond redemption, complete with a hidden softer side ... What more could a girl want?

Zoe: Beautiful, sweet, caring, shy but not to a fault, not to mention her cooking which is literally magical and...more
Blacky *Romance Addict*
Lisa Kleypas has certainly put some magic in her work, on the page and out of it <3 Dream Lake is the best book from this series! (yet anyway lol)

The first two were very good, but they just didn't have that something for me. Dream Lake certainly did Photobucket

The story - Well, it was pretty slow in developing, it kinda got me frustrated because I wanted to see some action lol, but was I ever wrong! Almost the entire first half of the book is building the characters, and it was so superbly done, I had...more
Lisa Kay
Dream Lake, Washington

★★★★½ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Dream Lake is narrated by Jeff Cummings who does NOT seem to be the right fit for this one. Not a great job, but not a disaster, either. An “okay” performance. I’d probably like him better reading something else, as he has a nice voice. Here he falls a little short due to making Zoe sound a bit too “wispy” – a common trait among male narrators trying to do female voices; though, he does a fair job on Zoe’s grandmother, “Upsie.” Whi...more
Crista
5 HUGE*****Stars

Dream Lake, Lisa Kleypas's newest installment in the awesome Friday Harbor series, simply blew me away. Lisa Kleypas has a way of spinning a tale so tight, that you become completely immersed in the story. I had plans for today, but after reading the first chapter of this book, I canceled those plans and spent the day reading. It was time well spent.

The first three chapters serve as background for the entire series, so this book could be read as a stand alone. However, this serie...more
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
I really loved this book and it is my favourite in the Friday Harbor series so far. It's an original and charming story of two unlikely people who find love with a little help from a very outspoken ghost, with a bittersweet love story of his own to tell. If, like me, you love fantasy movies like Ghost and Just Like Heaven, you’re sure to love this book.

I do have an insatiable craving for brooding, emotionally tortured heroes and Alex more than satisfied that craving. He acts a complete ass, at t...more
Regina
Now this book approaches the greatness of Lisa Kleypas of the Hathaways, Wallflowers and Travis series -- not quite as good as those, but definitely much better than the first two in the Rainshadow Road series.

This book was fun, good, and sexy. I loved it. I listened to the audio and it was read by a very sexy sounding male narrator. My one complaint is how the narrator read the female voices, but in the end ... the story was written so well and performed so well it was forgivable.

The first tw...more
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

“At first I wasn’t all that tempted by him, but then he killed the spider. Which was a huge point in his favor.”

“Absolutely. I love men who kill bugs.”

“And then when I was freaking out and couldn’t breathe, he was so…gentle.” Zoe sighed and colored, remembering. “He was holding me, and talking to me in that voice…you know, sort of low and rough around the edges…”

“All the Nolans sound like that,” Justine said reflectively. “Like they’ve got a mild case
Kelly22
4.00 Stars – Contemporary Small Town Romance.

We head back to Friday Harbor to visit the third Nolan brother Alex Nolan’s story. Once again Kleypas fluently pens down exquisite story-telling at its best with subtle yet larger-than-life characters who accomplish to hold a permanent place in your memories like a DREAM.

Alex is a cynical, broken and wrecked younger brother in the Nolan’s family, haunted by a tremulous childhood and disruptive divorce. Zoe Hoffman, a lovable baker of the town, hires...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

Dream lake was an emotional book from beginning to end and I loved every minute of it, every tear and every smile. Alex has been through the ringer. Everything that could go wrong for him has. His wife divorced him, she's selling the house that he lives in, business is slow, and he's becoming an alcoholic like his parents. He is not in a good place and definitely not where he should be to meet a good girl.

But he does. And Zoe is sweet and understanding,...more
Keri
This was a really sweet read. Alex, due to childhood trauma is completely shut down emotionally. In fact emotions of any kind tend to make him panic, because he doesn't know how to handle them. Zoe is full of emotions and is the complete opposite of him. She is sunshine to his dark and he knows he is no good for her. But when they get together they spark like crazy. Alex thinks his is going crazy when he realizes he has a ghost haunting him. What does he want and why won't he quit nagging him ab...more
valee
Let's make it quick and entertaining, here are the reasons for why this book is a must read:

1)Very funny characters:

-The hero
It’s a relief now that it’s over. She’s great, but I couldn’t handle all the emotion salad.” “What’s emotion salad?” Mark asked, amused. “You know that thing women do. The happy-crying thing. Or the sad-mad thing. I don’t get how anyone can have more than one feeling at a time. It’s like trying to simultaneously watch TVs on different channels.”

“Pie for breakfast?” “Why n
Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus
"You are everything that's ever been my favorite thing, you are my love song, my birthday cake, the sound of ocean waves and French words and a baby's laugh. You're a snow angel, creme brule, a kaleidoscope filled with glitter. I love you and you'll never catch up, because I've gotten a head start and my heart is racing at light speed"

What an amazingly beautiful story. Everything flowed so gracefully and effortlessly that before I knew it I finished the book.

Kleypas is truly a magician with her...more
SheLove2Read
"Delicious: giving pleasure or contentment to the mind or senses."
Synonyms: ambrosial, delectable, scrumptious, yummy, satisfying, entertaining, intoxicating.

Dream Lake is all this and more. I know some people didn't care for the ghostly visitor element but I have to say I found it both adorable and extremely romantic. Lisa Kleypas took an ordinary story and turned it into something unusual, and I had a difficult time putting it down, despite taking several days to read it. (I blame my family -...more
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Aug 17, 2012 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary romance
This is one of the best ghost stories I've ever read. The characters are fantastic.

Zoe is one of those people who is Nice with a capital 'N'. Warm and kind and loving and giving, yet life has never done anything to reward that. She cooks like a goddess, and is trapped in a Betty Boop body so nice fellas don't take a chance on her. The rest of the guys expect that she has no brain. The worst part is that she is drawn to the kind of bad boy who is guaranteed to be terrible for her. Her ex-husband...more
Mimi Smith
4 stars

This may not be a standard romance, may be more women's fiction than romance, but I liked it a lot. Lisa Kleypas can write all right. But this series is definitely not my favorite by her.

"A wedding is a ceremony where a symbolic virgin surrounded by women in ugly dresses marries a hungover groom accompanied by friends he hasn’t seen in years but made them show up anyway. After that, there’s a reception where the guests are held hostage for two hours with coated almonds, and the DJ tries t...more
Layla

My rating: 4.25/5
First line: “The ghost had tried many times to leave the house, but it was impossible.”
Favourite quote: “Once you said that if I wasn’t with you, it wouldn’t be heaven. I can’t let go of you. Come back and haunt me. Come back.
Song of choice: We Are Young by Fun.

Dream Lake is the third instalment in the Friday Harbor series by Lisa Kleypas. It tells the story of two mismatched individuals, who against all reason, fall in love with each other no matter how much they fight it. A...more
Brittany B.
for audio listeners This audio version of this book is so unabashedly awful, that I can no longer listen. The the narrator should be quartered... Ok at least he should be fired from future narration. And this should be immidiety rerecorded. His female voices are so unacceptable, as to make it a farce.
What on earth were you thinking LK? Do you not retain any power over your work?

I'me ordering this book in hard copy. And hope my audio-listening friends will join me, in expressing our dissatisfa...more
Diana
I'm rating the book 4 stars because Kleypas delivered a terrific story. However...what were they thinking (Brilliance Audio, I'm looking at you) in casting Jeff Cummings? Clueless dude committed my two most unforgivable sins. One, he reads the heroine in that drag queen, breathy, I-am -a-stupid -blond -bimbo voice. Two, the ghost, a major character with a lot of lines, sounds whiney and annoying--which is not how the character is written.

So many talented narrators both male and female who could...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
What the description of the book does not mention is the ghost and the ghost is a very important character in Dream Lake. Lisa Kleypas uses the ghost to tell the backstory in the first chapter of the book. Although this is Alex and Zoe's story the ghost plays an interesting part in the story.

Even though Dream Lake runs in time parallel to Rainshadow Road you do not see much of the other two brothers in this book. Alex and Zoe were introduced in previous books and both have issues. On the surface...more
edzkie♥§*.*§♥
“You are everything that’s ever been my favorite thing,” she wanted to tell him. “You are my love song, my birthday cake, the sound of ocean waves and French words and a baby’s laugh. You’re a snow angel, crème brulée, a kaleidoscope filled with glitter. I love you and you’ll never catch up, because I’ve gotten a head start and my heart is racing at light speed.”

Just when i thought this will be the last of the series, i think there's another one.:)))

Reading LK book is like having a birthday gi...more
Autumn

4.5 Stars

I haven`t gotten teary with a Lisa K book since "sugar daddy". This is perhaps my second favorite contemporary novel from her. What a story, and characters, I fell in love with Alex-- @$$hole and all. loved it!!!!
Lynsey A
LaFleurBleue
My rating for this book would range between 2 and 4 stars according to the chapters / paragraphs, as there were things I really liked, some others I did not care for and lastly some that simply irked me. And my feelings all along the reading kept changing between those.
First, let me start with the magic, paranormal, ghost part; I usually never care for that, it was quite nicely done, though it took too large a part of the book. The moments I preferred were the ones when the dialogue with the gho...more
Tina
Before I get to my review proper, I must say that this author does a fantastic job of describing food. The main character Zoe is a trained chef and the meals she creates are just...well...wow...even her oatmeal sounds blissful.

This book follows Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor and Rainshadow Road, books that tell the stories of the very dysfunctional Nolan brothers. This book actually runs in a concurrent timeline with Rainshadow Road so you get glimpses of Lucy and Sam's romance in progress tange...more
MountainKat
*A low 4, not my favorite of the series, but still quite enjoyable.*

This was a nice book that wandered a predictable path. I could see just about everything coming before we got there, except one little thing at the end. It was nice to see Alex finally get some happiness and Zoe was super sweet. (Even if her dad was a total jerk and we never really got to know why!) I thought this book took too long to get to the point, but I liked it anyway.

I listened to the audio of this book and it was a new...more
İlkim
Bu yorumu Kitap Esintisi adresinde bulabilirsiniz.

Lisa bu kitabında yine döktürmüş, hem hüzünlü, hem sıcak bir hava yaratmış. Nolan kardeşlerin en sorunlusu Alex'in dönüşümünü izlemek güzeldi. Zoe de onun kalbini güzel bir şekilde çaldı. Bu durumda, asla bir kadına aşık olmayı düşünmeyen üçüncü Nolan erkeğimiz de aşık olup mutluluğu buldu.

(view spoiler)...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Dream Lake is the third book in Lisa Kleypas' Friday Harbor series. We met both Alex and Zoe in previous books in the series. Alex is stuggling with alcoholism. A subject I find hard to read about. Zoe is a chef/baker at a local bed and breakfast. Zoe hires Alex to work on her cottage to get it ready for her grandmother and her to live. Then, there is the ghost that only Alex can see.

What a sweet heart-wrenching and heart-warming story! Wonderful strong characters and a wonderful love story. An...more
Kathie (katmom)
Oh my, this was fabulous.

Alex is so damaged, even as he creates beautiful things with his hands.

Zoe is gorgeous, sweet, shy...and a wonderful cook.

There is a GHOST and I loved him.

There's magic in a surprising area that just tickled me no end.

Actually, there's MAGIC in Lisa Kleypas' words.

I love how this one overlaps and is entwined with The earlier books in the Friday Harbor series. She is SO good at doing that.

Now, can hardly wait for the next one...searching to see if I can get an ARC!
  • At Last (Lucky Harbor, #5)
  • The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)
  • Hummingbird Lake (Eternity Springs, #2)
  • All Summer Long (Fool's Gold, #9)
  • Half Moon Hill (Destiny, #6)
  • The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #7)
  • Within Reach
  • A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet #2)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Rescue Me (Lovett, Texas, #3)
  • My Kind of Christmas  (Virgin River, #20)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
More about Lisa Kleypas...
Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1) Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1) It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)

“You are everything that's ever been my favourite thing," she wanted to tell him. "You're my love song, my birthday cake, the sound of ocean waves and French words and a baby's laugh. You're a snow angel, crème brulée, a kaleidoscope filled with glitter. I love you and you'll never catch up, because I've gotten a head start and my heart is racing at light speed.” 48 likes
“What if you could meet your soul mate?" the ghost asked. "You 'd want to avoid that?"
"Hell, yes. The idea that there's one soul out there, waiting to merge with mine like some data-sharing program, depresses the hell out of me."
"It's not like that. It's not about losing yourself."
"Then what is it?" Alex was only half listening, still occupied with the viselike tightness of his chest.
"It's like your whole life you 've been falling toward the earth, until the moment someone catches you. And you realise that somehow you 've caught her at the same time. And together, instead of falling, you might be able to fly.”
35 likes