Start by marking “Simple” as Want to Read:
Simple

Simple (Richard Christie Mystery #6)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  29 reviews
"If anyone's writing better police thrillers than George, I don't know who it is."

Entertainment Weekly

Nominated for an Edgar Award for Best Novel for The Odds, Kathleen George has received raves from all corners for her Pittsburgh-set police procedural series. Now, in Simple, series detective Colleen Greer is back in this stunning.

Cassie Price is thrilled when she’s hired
Published August 21st 2012 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simple

Paul Pessolano
“Simple” by Kathleen George, published by Minotaur Books.

Category : Mystery/Thriller

I can’t recall too many mystery/thriller books that take place in Pittsburgh, Pa., however this is the location for “Simple” and the other books written by Kathleen George. George’s books are not so much about “who dun it” but rather a look into police procedures.

A young girl, who is pursuing a law degree at the University of Pittsburgh, is found dead. The person who found her, a young handy man who did work for
George
#6 in the detective Commander Richard Christie mystery series set in Pittsburg, PA. A woman paralegal with a law firm whose member is an up and coming politician in the running for state governor is found murdered. The detectives assigned the case quickly focus on a handyman who appears simple and he is charged with the murder. Christie has mixed feelings about this and leads the investigation which starts to uncover more information and complexities.

It is good mystery with you knowing from the
Shannon
When Cassie Price, a young & beautiful paralegal, is found murdered in her Pittsburgh home, all signs point to Cal Hathaway as the killer. He is the neighborhood handyman, worked on Cassie's house and found her body. This should be case closed for Detective Christie & his team. But, when details emerge about Cassie's affair with Mike Connelly, a married lawyer at her firm who is pondering a run for governor, they realize that there is more to this case than meets the eye. The reader find ...more
Kay
What a discovery. Nothing in the author bio pointed to masterful police procedural writing! A really good read, not so memorable in itself (the series is said to be about Commander Richard Christie, but he does not emerge as a character I can call up a picture of in my mind), but so well plotted and written that it is a very great pleasure. Now to read the other six in the Richard Christie series--if RC is so forgettable in #6, I've not much hope of capturing him in the first 5, but know I can l ...more
Sue
Very engrossing story of a young paralegal who is murdered in her home. The detectives assigned to investigate do a slap-dash job and arrest a neighbor who was doing repairs at her home that day. He is deemed "slow" because he was beaten by bullies while in school and takes a while to process everything. The police commander returns from vacation and decides the reports do not really go into enough detail to aid prosecution. His team starts uncovering things that are not as they should be, inclu ...more
Ed
Nancy McFarlane
This was the first Kathleen George book I have read and I feel like if I had started from the beginning and gotten to know the characters better I would have enjoyed the book more, having said that does not mean I didn't enjoy it because I did.

It was a great police procedural. We pretty much knew from the beginning who the murderer was but we didn't know who else might become a victim, and how the other characters were involved. Diligent police work and asking the right questions and team work f
Marla Madison
Sep 24, 2013 Marla Madison rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: marjorie doering
I loved this book and was amazed to see it had only a three-star rating. Simple is a hard-to-put-down suspense/police procedural that kept me engaged from page one. If this is part of a series, the author has made the transition so seamlessly, that the a reader does not have to have read the previous books to enjoy this one. The characters are well done, the plot "simple" but full of twists and turns. George even managed a believable, and satisfying ending.
Another thing this author does extremel
Denali
I wasnt as invested in the detectives and their stories as I might have been had I read more of the series. The central crime strained credulity at times but the B story was very good.
Mara
Although it is billed as a mystery, SIMPLE is really a police procedural. We know the killer and his motive right away, and the rest of the book builds the suspense of whether or not the police are smart enough to catch him. A few nice twists and decent writing make you want to know how it will end. Some of the subplots involving the characterization of the officers seemed unecessary, and I would have liked to have cared about the ictim a little more. But I really liked Cal, the man set up to ta ...more
Jane
I'd give this a 3.5 if I could. It's a police procedural with a straight forward writing style. The thing that made it work for me was the third person omniscient narration because I enjoyed learning a little more about each person's thinking and motivations every time that character had a few pages in the book. Nor did the novel depend on escalating violence and gore to create suspense. This relied more on the problems we more often see: will those who have wealth and power consider themselves ...more
Stephanie Wayman
a murder mystery set in Pittsburgh. George has written a great story with lovely visual locations of our city and boroughs. Political in nature but not boring
Mt. Lebanon Public Library
Elizabeth K.'s Pick
Call #: GEORGE Kathleen
Tobin
I don't remember how I found out about this book but wow. It's a wonderful police procedural with real police and well-fleshed out bad guys. I strongly recommend this for Tana French fans or really anyone who loves compelling crime dramas.

I consumed this one in a matter of days. Which, given how many other things I've been doing, is really saying something.

I gave it a 8.5/10 on my personal scale.

-tpl
Larry
"Simple" is a superior police procedural. Though thee reader knows who committed the crime, the investigation is consistently interesting, the writing is assured (all of the characters have believable back stories, for instance, making them more interesting than most large fictional populations), and there are no sudden unexplainable leaps to reach the conclusion.
Amy Rhodes
I did not know this author or series but a good review (somewhere) led me to this and I found it surprisingly likeable. The plot seemed simplistic (hence the title, perhaps?) and obvious but somehow the character development made it more than first meets the eye. Might go back and check out some others in the series...apparently this is the 6th.
Stephanie
It was a predictable story, but it was told brilliantly. I couldn't put this masterfully written book down. I was happy there were no dumb twists and that the good guys won and the bad guy got what was coming to him. All the characters were very realistic with both good and bad qualities. Engrossing from page 1....
Sandhya Lohithakshan
The book is nothing but an over elaborated documentary of a text book murder mystery. I still kept reading hoping that the suspense might unfold later in the book until I realized I just finished the book. Unless you're turned on by police case files detailed to the last page do not pick this book.
Margiezerr
I really enjoyed the feeling of behind the scenes play-by-play in the investigation of this mystery. I think any tension in the book is derived less from the storyline and more from the attachment you develop with the characters in the story.
Kim
I read the first few chapters and then the last couple chapters. The dialogue was unbelievably stupid - people just don't talk that way. And the whodunit was also presented in the first few chapters - there was no mystery.
Janet
This is the first of this series that was very slow going for me. I can't say why but it was a struggle for me to plod through it - right from the very first page. But still an enjoyable installment in the series.
Carol O'Bryan
For what it was, it was well written. I think what this experience tells me is that I don't personally enjoy a "police procedural" type of novel. I'd rather read an old-fashioned murder mystery novel.
Andrew Welsh-Huggins
Most enjoyable "Dunnit" I've come across in a while. You know the crime and criminal right away, and the thrill comes in the "whether" of the resolution.
Well written and hard to put down ... I have a hard time with books where innocent people are put in jail though ....

Cecelia
Nice police drama. More a character development book than mystery. Detectives and their relationships.
Catherine Woodman
Good political procedural who done it--the plot is straight forward and enjoyable.
Sara
Simple plot. weird character development. hard to read b/c I couldn't get into it.
Gabrielle
Not my thing. Returned it to the library after about 100 pages.
Brittney
Brittney marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Kathleen Elizabeth George (born July 7, 1943) is an American professor and writer best known for her series of crime novels set in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

She was born in Johnstown, Pennsylvania and educated at the University of Pittsburgh: B.A. (summa cum laude), 1964, M.A. (theatre), 1966, Ph.D. (theatre), 1975, M.F.A. (creative writing), 1988. She teaches theatre arts at the University of Pitt
More about Kathleen George...

Richard Christie Mystery (7 books)
  • Taken
  • Fallen (Richard Christie, #2)
  • Afterimage (Richard Chrisite, #3)
  • The Odds (Richard Christie, #4)
  • Hideout (Richard Chrisite, #5)
  • A Measure of Blood (Richard Christie, #7)
The Odds (Richard Christie, #4) Taken The Johnstown Girls Pittsburgh Noir Afterimage (Richard Chrisite, #3)