Start by marking “Cat in a White Tie and Tails: A Midnight Louie Mystery” as Want to Read:
Cat in a White Tie and Tails: A Midnight Louie Mystery

Cat in a White Tie and Tails: A Midnight Louie Mystery (Midnight Louie #24)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In Carole NelsonDouglas' Cat in a White Tie and Tails, Midnight Louie goes along as chaperone when PR whiz Temple Barr and her fiance, rising media star Matt Devine, head to Chicago so she can meet his family. Matt's motherhas a tragic past primed to rise and bite anybody in reach, even the ex-alley cat sleuth. When Louie is snatched, the catnapping's surprising motive loo ...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Cat in a White Tie and Tails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat in a White Tie and Tails

Carmen
I've always liked the Midnight Louie series. The "cat point of view" sections did not disappoint. I love how the whole tribe protects Temple, Matt, and Max.
The human themes have gotten old. All this raising old characters "from the dead". I suppose Garry Randolph will be resurrected next. I am beyond bored with the whole "Kitty the Cutter" being alive, after she was killed a few books ago.
It appears to me the author has gotten too lazy to create "new villians". I do enjoy the parts with Max an
Joanna Wood
Not my favorite of the series. I'll keep reading through the end of the series since I've come this far, but I'm a little tired of the style of writing and how the characters all talk the same. I really had to make myself finish this one.
Sallee
I have been a longterm friend of Carole Nelson Douglas's Midnight Louie series. The latest in the series, this one has Matt Devine's mother finally taken the step and marries the brother of Matt's biological father. Max is investigating old murders and the Synth (at least in Vegas) comes to an end. It also looks like Kathleen, his old nemesis is back on the scene. It was also with sorrow that I heard that Carole's Midnight Louie Jr. has crossed the rainbow bridge at the age of 15. This book sets ...more
Rebecca Mulligan
Heading Toward the End

Well, we're up to W. The Midnight Louie series by Carol Nelson Douglas is finally beginning to wrap up. This is a series which is best read in order, rather than coming into it cold. The plots are so intricate it is difficult to understand what is going on unless you have the background down pat. Nonetheless, for Midnight Louie fans this is a wonderful book. As always, each character has its own linguistic style which takes a little getting used to. The interplay between Mi
Janet
I am sad to report I will no longer be continuing on in this series. It's gotten so convoluted that I'd probably have to re-read the last couple of books to remember what all happened. And I don't have the time or inclination. Made it to page 205 and realized I was utterly bored. So disappointed.
Msgypsy
I love this series. Love it, love it, love it. But am I the only one still rooting for Max? And are Three O'Clock and Ma Barker ever going to reconcile? So many questions! I can hardly wait for the next book!
Charty
Sigh. Corny, cheesy, the mystery a huge mess that I can't remember what's going on from book to book (nor do I really care). I've come this far, I'm in til the bitter end.
Sandi
Jun 22, 2014 Sandi rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Midnight Louie lovers only
Shelves: suspense
No mystery, nothing happened in the story. Most of the action and plot actually regressed. Temple is turning into a little Barbie girl, doing nothing and losing her observation skills, her spunk and charm. Matt is someone and somewhere else most of the time, and he sure got over the Catholic angst quick (and then has the nerve to agonize over his mother's marital decisions). Max has definitely lost a step but at least that is explained by his previous accident and amnesia. Now if only there was ...more
Kat Lebo
I love this series. The series is now 25 books long, with at least 3 "alphabetical" titles to go -- and who knows where it will go from there. Actually, the series is 29 books long if you count the 4 romance novels featuring Louie that predate this mystery series. There is also an anthology called "Midnight Louie's Pet Detectives," full of furry short story fun.

So, if you're a reader of the series, you know that Midnight Louie is a cat and that the novels are full of not only human characters (
Mary Kovarik
This was a wonderful read. I think Midnight Louie, the primary protagonist, is sassy with street smarts. He has a so-called daughter whom he won't acknowledge who looks just like him and who is called Midnight Louise. Together they solve mysteries. For a cat lover and a lover of mysteries, this is HEAVEN!
Ellen
Out of all the "cat" mystery series I read, I really think Midnight Louie is my favorite. Been reading these books since the beginning and have enjoyed every one.
This latest outing has Louie catnapped in Chicago, far from his Las Vegas haunts. How things go on from there is great time. Just say Louie wins the day and the plot webs that have been running throughout all of the books are finally starting to come to a conclusion. Can't wait for the next installment.
As the new partner of a Midnigh
Cheryl
With just a few more books left in the series, I'm not sure how she's going to tie up all the loose ends, but I can't wait to find out how she does it!

Another great romp with Louie, Louise, Three O'Clock and Ma Barker's gang. The ongoing mystery continues, but this one felt more about the characters and not the mystery, as there wasn't really a central crime to solve. But I enjoyed the characters just trying to figure out how to get themselves out of the messes they've gotten into. As always, wa
Donna Rowe
It seemed a little more rambling than her other books in the series. I had trouble staying focused while reading it. It had an interesting cliffhanger involving Matt at the end.
Amanda
Ricki
I have read all of the Midnight Louie books, and I will admit I love all of them so far!Don't have a favorite...each new one fits the bill! What I can say is that the ending of this one left me hanging on the edge of my seat for the next book to come out. What a cliff hanging ending Carole Nelson Douglas has written to this one. It's going to be a painful wait to see how this turn of events turns out. I will hate to see this series end when she gets to Z!
Myra
A very reluctant 3 stars, only because I guess the book did give us some important info on the overall story line of this whole series. But it was boring and scattered and had no real, discreet mystery specific to this book on its own. Too many voices talking. Disappointing. (But since this is only the 2nd of the books in this whole series that has disappointed me, I shouldn't be too upset, right?)
Charlene
I've read the entire series and I'm ready for temple to marry. This is daytime drama in print -- who's really dead, what other skeletons lurk in the lives of the characters and those they love, will the main characters ever find love, and what despised / loved character will return from the dead ...
Laura Beth
They say don't judge a book by it's cover. Well, I did. I thought it was an adorable cover and I love cats. So I grabbed it. Couldn't get into it after the intro and first chapter. Just not my cup of tea. I THINK it's trying to be old school PI/mystery, etc. With a talking cat as a hook.
Kathy
Not my favorite of the series. It seemed a little disjointed and rambled more than a little. Story is still progressing nicely, though, and I find more and more I'm reading these for the characters, who are all still themselves.

All in all, a nice little Midnight Louie romp.
Susan R
Somehow this one did not hold my interest as much as previous books in the series.....maybe because I was having trouble remembering all the past murders that were mentioned and played a part in the story. Will still read the next one to see if there is finally a wedding!
Kathleen Huben
I've read the whole series and find I read it more for the ongoing characters then for the "mysteries". I imagine it would be a very difficult book to follow if you haven't been following the series, even though the author provides a synopsis in the first chapter.
Roy Weiler
Midnight Louie comes through again. Another wonderful story from Carole Nelson Douglas.
Susan Lundy
I am getting more befuddled with Temple's private life with every book. This book was about as interesting as the other 24 Midnight Louie books...but her "Tailpiece" on other matters answered many questions about Louie...so that was good to get to!
Trisha
I did enjoy this. I've discovered I'm no longer as thrilled with all the jumping around between the various points of view although I do enjoy the cat's points of view. Ready for the conclusion of the series.
Sharon
This installment was another nice addition to this cozy series. I love Louie's "voice." His noir speech and turns of phrases never fail to make me smile. Recommended to cozy readers and cat lovers.
Joanne
Another soapy romp with Louie and the human triangle of Temple, Matt, and Max. More twists and turns of romantic lives, and enough wisecracks to keep things purring along. Fun.
Annie
Great as always, but didn't have the "zing" most of the others in the series have. Not sure why...otherwise I would have given it 4 stars. Will keep reading until the end....
Sue
A fun read, but come on, it's time for Matt and Temple to get married. Yes, from the title, you think the do...wrong! Louie has a lot of chutzpah, though!
Ellen
3 books left to go in the series. Some interesting new characters, but some of the dialogue is so cringe worthy..
Helen
Plots upon plots keep advancing and keep me involved, wondering how they'll finally resolve.
  • Cat Bearing Gifts (Joe Grey #18)
  • Karma's A Bitch (A Pet Psychic Mystery, #1)
  • Get Fluffy (Pampered Pets Mystery #2)
  • Fangs of Anarchy - Forbidden Alpha (Part 3) Were in the World is Gannon Dodd?: A Werewolf Vampire Shifter Romance
  • Baehrly Alive (Goldie Locke and the Were Bears, #3)
  • Oodles of Poodles
  • Catnapped (Klepto Cat Mystery #1)
  • Dare Me (Demon Underground, #5)
  • The Wolfe Widow (Book Collector Mystery #3)
Carole Nelson Douglas is the author of sixty award-winning novels in contemporary and historical mystery/suspense and romance, high and urban fantasy and science fiction genres. She is best known for two popular mystery series, the Irene Adler historical suspense novels and the 25-book Midnight Louie contemporary mystery series. Delilah Street, PI (Paranormal Investigator), headlines Carole's noir ...more
More about Carole Nelson Douglas...

Midnight Louie (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Catnap (Midnight Louie, #1)
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • Cat on a Blue Monday (Midnight Louie, #3)
  • Cat in a Crimson Haze (Midnight Louie, #4)
  • Cat in a Diamond Dazzle (Midnight Louie, #5)
  • Cat with an Emerald Eye (Midnight Louie, #6)
  • Cat in a Flamingo Fedora (Midnight Louie, #7)
  • Cat in a Golden Garland (Midnight Louie, #8)
  • Cat on a Hyacinth Hunt (Midnight Louie, #9)
  • Cat in an Indigo Mood (Midnight Louie, #10)
Good Night, Mr. Holmes (Irene Adler, #1) Catnap (Midnight Louie, #1) Dancing With Werewolves (Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator, #1) Six of Swords Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)