Start by marking “A Holly, Jolly Murder: A Claire Malloy Mystery” as Want to Read:
A Holly, Jolly Murder: A Claire Malloy Mystery

A Holly, Jolly Murder: A Claire Malloy Mystery (Claire Malloy #12)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  470 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
THE GIFT THAT GIVES ON GIVING. . .
With Farberville's college on holiday break, Claire Malloy's bookstore is quiet . . . deadly quiet. Breaking the silence is a little old lady looking for volumes on pagan rituals, applied magick, and Celtic mysticism. Claire is intrigued and—miffed that her lover, Farberville police Lieutenant Peter Rosen, says she's in a rut—happily acce
Published October 31st 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published November 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Holly, Jolly Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Holly, Jolly Murder

Gabby
Dec 05, 2008 Gabby rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
Shelves: 2008, mystery
Very disappointing addition to the Claire Malloy series. A Holly, Jolly Murder has been tagged as a "Holiday Themed" book. Only by stretching the imagination to its very outer limits would I categorize it that way. Merely because Hess mentions Christmas or Santa Claus now and then doesn't make this book anywhere near being about the holidays. It's about Druids and Satan-Worship and Wiccans... if that dredges up sweet memories of Christmases past for some readers, fine. It certainly did not do th ...more
Marilyn
Dec 29, 2015 Marilyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read anything by Hess is quite awhile, but I remember liking the Malloy series. I simply could not get through this book and on about page 47, I wondered why I was reading it. Malloy, who is smart enough to help solve murders, was portrayed by her actions as witless and her supposedly clever thoughts were mundane. I was looking forward to a little cozy for the holidays, but I was disappointed instead.
Dharia Scarab
Still not my favorite series, but not bad either.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read more, But if I find another book by t
Pamela Mclaren
There's nothing lonelier than a bookstore near a college campus when school is out of session but that has never stopped Claire Malloy from being visited by several weird and assorted characters, especially in this holiday driven book where in a moment of trying to find some excitement, Claire decides to join the local Druids and Wiggans as they celebrate the winter solstice. As usual, it doesn't go off without a hitch: one of their flock doesn't show up and when they check on him, he is dead.

Ev
chrisa
Nov 29, 2012 chrisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This is the first Joan Hess book I have read, and I really enjoyed the book. I found the plot interesting, and did not have a definite idea about who had committed the crime until very near to the end. I enjoyed the subplot with Claire's daughter too. I am looking forward to reading more Joan Hess books in this series.

Also, unlike other reviewers I found the Christmas theme very important to the plot of the book. The main character discusses Christmas on practically every page. If you are looki
Charlene Gordon
Ok book. Read this in 2000.
Dale Barlow
Hess, Joan: A HOLLY, JOLLY MURDER, A Claire Malloy Mystery (#12): neither any of the characters, nor the plot could hold my interest—dropped after 100+-pages; on my GoodReads “To Read” list; not sure where I heard about it but it was added to my list in mid-Mar. ’14, so guessing it was NYTimes review; published 1997 hardback via Madison Co. Public Library, 265 pgs.; attempted May 2014
Lynn Demsky
Aug 28, 2012 Lynn Demsky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was really a slow moving boring book - usually I really enjoy the Claire book store owner books but, just took me months to read ---- I could care less about the witches, druids or Wiccans religion etc and just kept wading along -- Santa was a drunk, there was no holly jolly anything in this story. The last maybe third of the book was worth reading ..... maybe.
Sheila
Jan 30, 2012 Sheila rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought this story' is boring. Not much about Christmas. The plot was weird and weak. I liked the character Clare. She was interesting and straight forward. Her daughter on the other hand was very snotty. Which is very un becoming for a young girl. I learnt nothing about theDruids and Wiccans. I'm glad that I finally finished the book.
Beth
Dec 30, 2008 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funnylight, mysteries
While poking fun at organized pagans, Hess shows a surprising appreciation for all the various forms and an understanding of some of the political/religious differences between druids, wiccans, etc. Made me think she might have done some personal research--perhaps at my alma mater, where the druids were revived in the late 60s!
Lesley
Apr 20, 2012 Lesley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2012
I expected this book to have more of a Christmas theme, but the Christmas holiday seemed to be more in the way of the story (especially when it came to Caron's mall job fiasco). Instead, Claire gets entangled in some Druid drama that doesn't quite fit with the title or book cover. *sigh*
Mary Newcomb
I had a lot of trouble tracking this story. Not sure if this is due to the story or the fact that I read this late at night (and fell asleep doing so more than one night). The side story, involving Caron's part time job, was entertaining.
Chris Vassey
Loving this book so far!! On page 108 and woke up early this morning to squeeze in a few more pages before the rest of the family wakes up.
Carolynne
Feb 15, 2008 Carolynne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Clare Malloy gets involved with a group of Druids and Wiccans who all seem linked to the murder of a prominent citizen.
Tiah
Jun 09, 2009 Tiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was good, but there was not much mention to Christmas.
Levy Roberge
Jun 08, 2013 Levy Roberge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the way she writes. I'll be looking for more of her works.
Shirley
Jun 21, 2009 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another Joan Hess. So glad my daughter gave me my first one!
Mary Mckay
Mar 07, 2013 Mary Mckay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love her books all are written well and are funny.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fairly dark for a Claire Malloy
Dale
fluff but fun
Sandi
Typical Hess.
Patty Allen
Patty Allen rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Feb 07, 2016
Connie
Connie rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Mouse
Mouse added it
Jan 25, 2016
  • Silent Knife (Celebration Bay, #2)
  • Slay Bells (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #14)
  • The Alpine Christmas (Emma Lord Mystery, #3)
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald, #6)
  • Murder is a Girl's Best Friend (Paige Turner, #2)
  • A Stillness in Bethlehem (Gregor Demarkian, #7)
  • Resort to Murder (Henrie O, #6)
  • A Glancing Light (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #2)
  • Two Cooks A-Killing (Angie Amalfi, #11)
  • South Of Sanity (Hannah Garvey Mystery #2)
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • Murder Goes Mumming
  • Death, Snow, and Mistletoe (Tori Miracle, #4)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • Golden Eggs and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 4)
  • Holly and Homicide (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #7)
  • Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Claire Malloy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)