Start by marking “Remains: Non-Viewable: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Remains: Non-Viewable: A Memoir

Remains: Non-Viewable: A Memoir

When John Sacret Young's cousin, Doug was killed in Vietnam, Young learned that the remains of every Vietnam casualty fell into one of two official categories: Viewable or Non-Viewable. He also discovered that such categories applied to how his New England family faced its own history.

This compelling narrative is the haunting story of a man coming to terms with himself, w
Published May 5th 2005 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Remains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remains

Sue
Dec 30, 2014 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was actually a re-read of this memoir, which I first read in 2006. The author (creator and writer of "China Beach" and writer of several episodes of "West Wing") is a childhood friend and the occasion was my knowing that I was likely to see him, as I had following my earlier reading. The first time through several years ago, I confess that I may have focused more on who was mentioned and how than on its literary merit. This time, already knowing those answers, I read it as though a stranger ...more
Peggy
Dec 07, 2012 Peggy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Despite an affinity for memoirs and some personal connections (he's not kidding...the water off Manomet is freezing!), I could not connect with this book at all. The author's writing style must be more suited for television.
Beamish13
Beamish13 marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Marianne Liggett
Marianne Liggett rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Jlsqrd
Jlsqrd marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Short Tall
Short Tall marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Arnold E. Holtberg
Arnold E. Holtberg rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2013
Morgan Leepa
Morgan Leepa rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2013
Donna
Donna rated it did not like it
Dec 08, 2012
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2011