Start by marking “Coming Back Alive: The True Story of the Most Harrowing Search and Rescue Mission Ever Attempted on Alaska's High Seas” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Coming Back Alive: The...

Spike Walker

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When the fishing vessel La Conte sinks suddenly at night in one-hundred-mile-per-hour winds and record ninety-foot seas during a savage storm in January 1998, her five crewmen are left to drift without a life raft in the freezing Alaskan waters and survive as best they can.

One hundred fifty miles away, in Sitka, Alaska, an H-60 Jayhawk helicopter lifts off from America's m
Published October 11th 2002 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Coming Back Alive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Back Alive

Eric_W
*** Contains multiple spoilers. ** Walker celebrates the Coast Guard SAR (Search and Rescue — not to be confused with SARS) teams that operate in Alaska's forbidding winters. These people risk their lives to save those who have usually made some really dumb decisions. Flying at any time in Alaska is difficult because of the terrain and sudden weather changes, but virtually no one flies at night. SAR teams are often called out at night and usually in the worst weather. Sensory deprivation is comm ...more
Judy Churchill
Horrifying and beyond imagination. I couldn't put this real life Alaska ocean rescue story down. Being a pilot, I understood viscerally that the conditions were way below flying weather. I found myself tense along with the pilots trying to make the rescue. There is no doubt that we have heroes among us - those who go beyond all reasonable expectations to save another human being. This was well written and extremely well researched which undoubtedly led to its complete credibility. It's non-ficti ...more
Val Wilkerson
Wow...this is the true story about a search and rescue in Alaska by the Coast Guard out of Sitka Alaska. I have lived in Juneau alaska and spent several months in Sitka so I know what the weather can be like. This Coast Guard Rescue story had my heart beating for sure. These guys are right up there with navy seals in my book. I was also pleased at the end of the book to see my dear friends in Juneau, Roger and Betty Stidolph mentioned.
Melissa
Fast paced book, kept my interest throughout.
Steve
Quick read. Jaw-dropping accounts of emergency rescues in Southeast Alaska. Especially relevant for me since I visited nearly every location mentioned in the book, by boat during this summer (2008).

My dad picked this book as part of our ongoing father/son book club while we were up in Alaska together and it was a page-turner. Highly recommended for anyone who has spent time in Alaska or who is at all fascinated by the last great frontier.
Shruts
This is a harrowing story of a death-defying rescue by the Coast Guard of a fishing boat crew who deliberately took excessive risks against Nature, and lost the bet. They had absolutely no business being there in that place at that time in their substandard boat.

The Coast Guard crews, 13 men and three helicopters, put their lives at risk to go for these foolish fishermen, and almost made their own wives into widows, and children orphans.
Sean Hopkins
Enjoyable story of the rescue of the La Conte by the Coast Guard during a fierce Alaska storm in January of 1998. The numerous Coast Guard members involved in the dangerous rescue mission demonsrated a complete willingness to risk their lives to rescue the crew as the floated in freezing waters with 100 foot waver and 100 mph winds.
Chris Seals
I bought this book because I enjoyed Spike Walker's "Working on the Edge" so much. I wasn't disappointed with the writing here either.
Cecelia
Heart breaking and staggering in the vastness of the struggles that these brave men and women face every day of their lives.
Katie O'Farrell
it was a really good book . It taught me that you never really know how strong you are until you need all your strength .
Brian
Another great book by Spike. Great escapes from peril on the open sea.
Scott
Good true story of USCG rescue at sea in Alaska
Rita Jean
True stories of people at sea.
Martha Randall
Definitely a good read!
Cindy Arman
Cindy Arman marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Ellen Carpenter
Ellen Carpenter marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
K
K marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Diana Duncan
Diana Duncan marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Leanna
Leanna marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Twobchelm
Twobchelm marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Lindsay Edwardson
Lindsay Edwardson marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Gaby Szemes
Gaby Szemes marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Ten Hours Until Dawn: The True Story of Heroism and Tragedy Aboard the Can Do
  • Time Bandit: Two Brothers, the Bering Sea, and One of the World's Deadliest Jobs
  • Deadliest Sea: The Untold Story Behind the Greatest Rescue in Coast Guard History
  • North by Northwestern: A Seafaring Family on Deadly Alaskan Waters
  • The Last Run: A true story of rescue and redemption on the Alaska seas
  • Simple Courage: A True Story of Peril on the Sea
  • The Proving Ground: The Inside Story of the 1998 Sydney to Hobart Race
  • Denali's Howl: The Deadliest Climbing Disaster on America's Wildest Peak
  • A Time to Die: The Untold Story of the Kursk Tragedy
  • At the Mercy of the Sea: The True Story of Three Sailors in a Caribbean Hurricane
  • The Last Explorer: Hubert Wilkins, Hero of the Great Age of Polar Exploration
  • Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria
  • Mighty Fitz: The Sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald
  • American Gunfight
  • Giving the Finger: Risking It All to Fish the World's Deadliest Sea
  • Race Across Alaska: First Woman to Win the Iditarod Tells Her Story
  • Back To The Wild
  • Forever on the Mountain: The Truth Behind One of Mountaineering's Most Controversial and Mysterious Disasters
Working on the Edge: Surviving In the World's Most Dangerous Profession: King Crab Fishing on Alaska's High Seas On the Edge of Survival: A Shipwreck, a Raging Storm, and the Harrowing Alaskan Rescue That Became a Legend Nights of Ice: True Stories of Disaster and Survival on Alaska's High Seas Alaska: Tales of Adventure from the Last Frontier