Start by marking “Butterfly Burning: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Butterfly Burning: A Novel

Butterfly Burning: A Novel

Butterfly Burning brings the brilliantly poetic voice of Zimbabwean writer Yvonne Vera to American readers for the first time. Set in Makokoba, a black township, in the late l940s, the novel is an intensely bittersweet love story. When Fumbatha, a construction worker, meets the much younger Phephelaphi, he"wants her like the land beneath his feet from which birth had sever ...more
Published September 12th 2000 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Butterfly Burning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Butterfly Burning

Paul
Feb 04, 2017 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read The Stone Virgins last year and was so impressed that I decided that this one should not be too far behind. I think Vera is an important and under read writer; for a bit of background, follow this link;
This novel is set in Bulawayo; Vera’s home town, in the late 1940s. It concerns a young woman called Phephelaphi who lives with an older man, Fumbatha, a construction worker. They live in one room; concrete and asbestos. Phephelaphi, however, is not s
Aubrey
Noon is too much like the middle of things, not a useful time for proposals, conclusions and disasters. Noon is just that, sunlight pouring down to melt shadows, and therefore, too many witnesses to every fall.
The hope for writing lies in the writers who treat with it as a limb and not with themselves as a god. To flex composition as musculature entails the burn of acid when oxygen is rendered insufficient, the pain of tearing in the aim of new growth, the itch of healing bone and the chance o
Bjorn
Feb 13, 2016 Bjorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zimbabwe, woc2016
When I read Under the Tongue a bunch of years ago I couldn't quite get into it. Whether it was the book or me, or both, I don't know; but Vera's writing is very busy, the kind that in a lesser writer would reek of thesaurus overuse. and at that moment I didn't quite think the payoff was worth the effort I had to make to piece it together. This time, something clicked. Which isn't to say that Butterfly Burning is straight-forward. Here's some builders at work:

We are here. This is said urgently
Sincerae Smith
Butterfly Burning is by Yvonne Vera, a Zimbabwean novelist. I gave this novel four stars at first but then reduced it to three because I like the novel's use of poetic language and love story, but I was not enthusiastic overall about the characters. The setting of the story is the black township of Makokoba during the 1940s. The two main characters are Fumbatha, a middle aged man who lost his father at an early age. He seems to view life and all the oppression in it disinterestedly, just going t ...more
Han
Jan 11, 2012 Han rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is like one long poem, complete with lyricism, metaphors, and all those other lovely components of poetry. At times, the resulting effect was brilliant and powerful. But at other times, the intricate language felt too complicated and unnecessary, causing me to lose any connection with the characters. Also, the first half of the book was almost unbearably slow, compared to the second half, during which all of the major action seemed to happen all at once. Yvonne Vera's style wasn't my ...more
Viva
Feb 25, 2014 Viva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The writing style of Butterfly Burning is beautiful. This novel will be part of my favourites to read. There are a few chapters where its difficult to read, but you have to keep on pushing. The novel can ignite many feelings and thoughts around the subjects of ownership, trust, protection, etc. After reading, I was left with wondering after your body/spirit has been violated (sexual assault, rape) is it possible ever feel that your body is yours. For women who have given birth, had miscarriages ...more
Charly
Mar 27, 2014 Charly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with short to read lists.
This is the story of a woman who doesn't exactly fall in love with an older man, but does live with him. It is about her dreams held and unfulfilled, a past kept from her, and her choices to deal with what is dealt. There is very much a stream of consciousness approach here which does very little for the work. Perhaps a decent snapshot of awakening Africa in the 1940s.

This is for people with short to read lists.
T.K Trian
Mar 27, 2013 T.K Trian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vera was a master of the language, and the prose is absolutely amazing. The story and characters are compelling too. A window to a different world.
Carmen like the opera
Beautifully written. Lyrical. Spare and efficient writing as a poem. I loved reading this book and "listening" to the words in my head.
Aggeliki
Oct 15, 2016 Aggeliki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Η ιστορία μιας γυναίκας που δεν έχει να κάνει τόσο με τα γεγονότα, όσο με τις επιθυμίες και τα όνειρα που θέλει να ζήσει δοσμένη με εξαίσια ποιητική γραφή.
Από τα πολύ αγαπημένα μου βιβλία.
Claudia-Il giro del mondo attraverso i libri

Mi sono resa conto di aver poco e niente sull'Africa per cui sono andata in biblioteca per rimediare. Ho chiesto al bibliotecario dei romanzi ambientati in Africa scritti da autori africani e il poveretto è andato un po' nel pallone; mi ha spiegato infatti che non esiste una sezione "narrativa africana" come potrebbe esistere "narrativa inglese" perché in Africa le lingue ufficiali possono essere inglese, francese e portoghese in base a quale nazione li aveva colonizzati, per cui gli autori afri
kyle
Good, though slightly disappointing. I've never read a book that combines such poetic eloquence with sentences that I find so irritating or metaphors that I think fall flat. At times it reads to me that she is just trying too damn hard. In some ways it is the opposite of Gilead in that I'm constantly aware of Yvonne Vera crafting each sentence as I read them.
Take the following passage, from early on (page 35) when Vera first describes the death of Phephelaphi's mother.
"Still, she thought someone
Sandra Chavez
Mar 26, 2010 Sandra Chavez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novel, Butterfly Burning by Yvonne Vera, is about a young woman living in Sidojiwe E2, Makokoba, Bulawoyo. It starts off with describing how the plot is. It talks about how they live in that little section of the small town. It is an underdeveloped place where everyone knows each other. The story is about a young woman named Phephelaphi. About her struggles as they come. It is talking about the situations and how she handles them.
She lives in a room with her boyfriend, Fumbatha. The room is
Lindsey
Sep 30, 2009 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MaryKai Boulton
Mixed emotions on this. Because of the poetic type nature of the writing style, it took reading half way through it before connecting. I usually read at night, when I'm tired, and poetic stances are lost on me. Once I connected, I really enjoyed the characters.

Spoiler: It was hard to read because it talks about the hard decisions made by a woman in a difficult time. You are able to see why she made the choice, but then see the negative consequence from those choices. Those include abortion, adul
Suketus
Mar 30, 2013 Suketus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa
Tarina kertoo nuoresta zimbabwelaisesta Phephelaphista Bulawayon slummissa 1940-luvulla. Elämä ei kohtele hyvin, mutta nuorella naisella on toivon kipinä, josta hän pitää kiinni: hän haluaa sairaanhoitajaksi. Kohtalon käänteet eivät kuitenkaan ole unelmille aina niin suotuisat, vaikka kuinka suuresti toivoo.

Vaikea kirja. Runollinen kieli samaan aikaan hurmaa ja ärsyttää. Paljon on merkityksiä tiiviissä tilassa. Ei tosiaan mikään välipala! Ihmettelen, miten tämä on nuorten kirjaksi luokiteltu, to
Emilie
Jun 25, 2008 Emilie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Under tiden som jag har läst den här boken har jag funderat på den tradiga, hyperintellektuella, alltid out-of-date-frågan: Kan det bli för poetiskt?

Det här är en bok som inte innehåller en enda dålig mening. Räcker det för att boken ska vara bra?

I ett försök att simma längs med karaktärerna, drunknar jag i språket. I ett försök att ta till mig poesin, glömmer jag bort historien.

Och ändå: Jag tror på det hon säger.
Virginia Jacobs
Jun 18, 2016 Virginia Jacobs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The language usage was beautiful. The voice was unique. Most of the book is written in third person, and then there's one chapter in first person. I borrowed this book from a friend who had read it for a lit class, and I'd be interested what the analysis was on the one chapter in first person. This book is not what I would consider in my normal reading "comfort zone," but I enjoyed it.
Mona
Jan 29, 2015 Mona rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know how to rate this book.

I had heard great things about Yvonne Vera but for some reason, I couldn't connect to this book at all. For me, her writing style hindered the novel significantly. I do feel that this story holds great potential and there were some important issues that were touched upon but unfortunately, Vera's writing let me down.
Aimee Webb
Feb 12, 2013 Aimee Webb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It's about an African woman who struggles to gain autonomy and self worth in a man's world. She does it, and although her choice is drastically destructive, I'm elated at her strength and success.
Mary
Nov 18, 2016 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a difficult book to get into. Especially the first 100 pages. The language is beautiful, rather intricate, very descriptive, heavy on hidden meaning and metaphors. The poetic style does however eclipse the narrative. Slow first half. It's a moving life story, this is not an uplifting book.
May 30, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book has stayed with me since I read it ten years ago. Vera was a brilliant writer who does much too young. I don't know how to review it without using all the money-words usually used to describe books : searing, gripping, heartbreaking, intense...
It's all of those things and more.
Chantal Melser
Te poëtisch om het een heel boek zo vol te houden. Ik mis het kader van de gebeurtenissen. Wel sfeer van het leven langs de weg, minimaal huis, weinig structuur. Ik raad het niet snel een ander aan.
Heather
Not as good as Without a Name. If you haven't read her books before, I suggest starting with Without a Name or Under the Tongue.
Nina
Jan 06, 2014 Nina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Trust lovers to nurture hope till it festers." Excellent!
Janelle
Aug 24, 2009 Janelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful collection of words, and the story at the heart of it is devastating. Yet the poetic style obscures the narrative.
Melissa
Jul 07, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most accessible of her books, but it's still a difficult read (because of the subject matter)
Abby
Nov 03, 2008 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I had been meaning to read one of Yvonne Vera's books for quite some time. She has a beautiful style, very lyrical, smooth and descriptive.
Bonnie
This book is heavy on images and memories, light on plot and character. I feel like Yvonne Vera is a gorgeous writer and could transfer her skills to poetry.
  • Bones (African Writers)
  • The House of Hunger
  • God's Bits of Wood
  • The Beggars' Strike
  • Song of Lawino & Song of Ocol
  • A Question of Power
Yvonne Vera (September 19, 1964 – April 7, 2005) was an award-winning author from Zimbabwe. Her novels are known for their poetic prose, difficult subject-matter, and their strong women characters, and are firmly rooted in Zimbabwe's difficult past. For these reasons, she has been widely studied and appreciated by those studying postcolonial African literature.

Vera was born in Bulawayo, in what wa
More about Yvonne Vera...