Start by marking “Into the Wilderness: The Long Hunters” as Want to Read:
Into the Wilderness: The Long Hunters

Into the Wilderness: The Long Hunters (Westward America #1)

Rosanne Bittner launches a new romantic/historical series, Westward America!, which will look at the settling of the United States, with each book moving progressively west into a new location and era.

Set in 1785, Into The Wilderness depicts the life of those who settled in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania. The term "long hunters" refers to "Daniel Boone" type men
Published March 14th 2003 by Forge Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Wilderness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Wilderness

Susan
Into the Wilderness is the first installment in Rosanne Bittner's American West series. This first story begins in the midst of the French and Indian war, and features Noah Wilde, Long Hunter and spy, fighting along side the French and reporting back to the English. On his way back to Virginia to deliver news of a French victory and massacre, Noah comes upon Jessica Matthews in the forest as a group of Native Americans attack her. Noah and Jess save each other's lives and begin a difficult roman ...more
Michelle
Dec 31, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
(the above provided book description is wrong)
Off of Rosanne Bittner's website:

Publisher's Weekly gave INTO THE WILDERNESS, the first book in the new Westward America series, such a wonderful review that I would like to share it with you in its entirety:

"Popular historical romance writer Bittner is off to a solid start with the first of her Westward America! series, which will examine the settling of America, moving progressively westward with each novel
Vicki Adderholdt
This was a very exciting historical romance. It is set at the beginning of the French & Indian War against the British. Along with the Indians against the settlers, the British are being attacked by the French trying to push the British settlers back to the coast in hopes of taking the colonies for France.

Noah Wilde's wife and unborn child were killed by the French and their allies the Iroquois and his farm burned. He becomes a spy for the British and the French. He's playing a deadly game.
Kaleigh
I enjoyed Into the Wilderness for the most part. It was a pretty quick read and kept me engaged through most of it.

It was nice reading about the French and Indian War for a change instead of the typical Revolutionary or Civil. I learned a good bit about it, which was a pleasant surprise.

My one complaint is that there were a couple... um... unnecessary scenes, which caused me to lose pretty much all respect for Jess. That's just my personal opinion though.

Overall, it was a nice book.
Phair
Since 2003 I have determined to read at least one book set during the French and Indian War, my "favorite" war, each year. This was the first title in that initiative, set in the early days of the war on the Pennsylvania frontier. It was a light read - more of a romance than straight historical fiction with many rather cliche situations but pleasant enough. The book ended with some loose ends that would hopefully be picked up in later books in Bittner's Westward America series although I have n ...more
Pam
Sep 06, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and intend to read the next one on the series. It's historical fiction set during the French and Indian War. I got caught up in the trials of Jessica Matthews and her husband-to-be. I hope the series becomes a saga of their family. Jessica was kidnapped by the Iroquois Indians who also killed the rest of her family. Noah tracks her down and saves her from being married to the man who kidnapped her.
Tonya Lucas
May 12, 2014 Tonya Lucas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this book. It is very graphic in the Indians ways of capture, but well worth reading. The love between Noah & Jessica is strong and faithful. Before our country was settled, the colonist went through many hard times. This is a really good look into our country prior to winning the French/ English war.
Tasha
Feb 21, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing would keep them from the love they shared. A true frontier love story! Giving incite into the hardships and fears of a life on the frontier. Also, showing the ignorance of those living the life of pleasantries and yet trying to doane the air of leadership over the life they had no knowlegde of first hand.
Ratforce
This title combines romance, adventure, and history in a way you might find appealing. It is the first of a series that follows the settling of America, and involves both Native American and white settler storylines.
Elizabeth
Feb 22, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written. What a wonderful book. Book takes place back in the 1800's. Noah Wilde saves a kidnapped Jess from the Indians. They married in the end. An extremely romantic novel.
Mary
Sep 14, 2013 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-read
It was ok. I'll probably continue reading this series for historical background and I do tend to get hooked on historical fiction done in series.
Weeping Willow
Mar 19, 2008 Weeping Willow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 1st of the three part series written by Rosanne Bittner. Loved the book and had a hard time putting it down........
Holly Metzger
Holly Metzger rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Terrie
Terrie rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2013
Janice Cerda
Janice Cerda rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
SM Surber
SM Surber rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Leslie P
Leslie P rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Marg
Marg rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2010
Sarah rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2012
Shari
Shari rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2012
Leonor Salas
Leonor Salas rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2015
Ingrid
Ingrid rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2010
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Shirley Mitchell Gaddis
Shirley Mitchell Gaddis rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Laura Payne
Laura Payne rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Feather in the Wind
  • When Love Commands (Marietta Danver Trilogy, #3)
  • Stolen Ecstasy (Gray Eagle, #6)
  • The Rose and the Shield (Medieval, #2)
  • White Eagle's Touch
  • The Wanton
  • Warwyck's Woman
  • Masters of Empire: Great Lakes Indians and the Making of America
  • Comanche Temptation (Comanche, #1)
  • Drums Along the Mohawk
  • Apache Magic (Coltons, #1)
For those of you who have not yet read my books, my stories are generally set in the American West of the 1800's and feature vividly-described, historically accurate settings that span the US from Missouri to California, from Canada to Mexico. Many of my books portray the poignant history of our Native Americans, and though the characters are my own, I use real historical locations and events in a ...more
More about Rosanne Bittner...

Westward America (3 books)
  • Into the Valley: The Settlers (Westward America, #2)
  • Into the Prairie: The Pioneers (Westward America, #3)