Start by marking “Cave In” as Want to Read:
Cave In

Cave In

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A FANTASTICAL, WORDLESS VOYAGE THROUGH SUBTERRANEAN MAZES

A rat darts across the opening pages, into a hole, and down a long tunnel, stopping under a hammock. A mole man stretches and wakes up, leading the rat and the reader deeper into the tunnel. What follows is a series of dreamlike sequences, each stranger than the last. Brian Ralph, author of the New York Times Graphic
Published February 19th 2013 by Enfant (first published October 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cave In, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cave In

Jan
This is one neat little package, beautifully designed and produced from the rounded corners all the way to the rough and thick paper stock. The book's artwork is stark and crisp, its one-tone coloring shifts with the settings. The wordless and cyclical storytelling feels at the same time naive and wise.

Now, what is this graphic novel all about? Well, it is definitely about a cave dweller's underground odyssey. On the surface, that is pretty much it, but somehow there seems to be so much more to
Bill
I... I... I don't quite know what happened in this book. There were no words. There were different colors. I think I learned something. But I'm not sure.
Hollowspine
As with Daybreak Ralph tells this story using illustration alone. This story follows the journey of a underdweller. It starts out a simple search for food, but soon turns into a strange adventure story as our hero ventures through strange dream-like landscapes.

It reminded me of a dream I had, one where I was chased through strange rooms, bizarre creatures surrounding me. Like my dream the illustrations sometimes made a our cavedweller rather small in comparison with his surroundings, other time
Stephanie
I wonder why the artist changed colors throughout the book. It was neat to see the outlining change to blue when the cave-man discovered water. The mummy was so sweet - he deserves his own spin-off. Cute end page art of the mischievous rat. Can't wait to see what Brian Ralph will come up with next.
Printable Tire
This is a short, wordless story about a monkey-boy tossing out a rat-dog and then eating worms, then getting eaten by a giant worm, then escaping the giant worm's stomach with some zombie monkey-boys, then taking a dip and afterward taunting tiny mutants and destroying their home, then entering a giant tomb and befriending a giant mummy monkey-boy who then fights a giant snake, after which the monkey-boy escapes from the collapsing tomb and is attacked by a bunch of bats and then finds the rat-d ...more
Adam
Wonderfully weird, text-free, small-format graphic novel. I don’t usually find much payoff in the text-free thing, but Brian Ralph is exceptionally talented in creating, in this essentially Quiet way, both mood and tension. You can “read” the book in 10 minutes but will likely come back to it several times. And there are a couple dark-ish and ookie moments--so, it’s not a story for kids who are younger than, say, ten.
Andrew
Brian Ralph has an abnormal facility with emotional manipulation. He can shift from wonder to terror to humor to triumph to sadness to curiosity to joy and back to humor in as many panels. How can such a tiny – not to mention wordless – book seem so full? The story is almost nonsensical, but always seems to take just the right turns... much like its monkey-boy hero.
David Schaafsma
Sort of an all ages book that takes place in a cave... with creepy characters...told without any words... all comic/cartoonists seem to rave about it, but I was left feeling kinda vague about it.... I wil read other reviews to see what I missed...
Dru
I really liked this wordless graphic novel about a little moloid-creature exploring the underground. Fantastic textures and use of black, but my favorite part of the art was the changes in colour. Worth a look.
Jason Chandler
An idiosyncratic, silent, dreamlike, action story with surprising scope and a genuinely warm heart (and maybe some other tissues as well). I think I'll read it again right now.
Ashley
I liked the art, and the weird wordless story was neat, but I didn't love the flow between stories.
Polly
Strange little wordless book about a caveman-type boy who has very odd adventures.
Craig
I am a major fan of Ralph's work...it is unique, complex and emotionally true.
Monica
Fun picture book.
Not for small children
Annelise
Short. Cute. Wordless.
Ashley Choo
Ashley Choo marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Sissel
Sissel marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Goran
Goran added it
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Brian Ralph (born 1973) is a U.S. alternative cartoonist. His illustrations have appeared in Wired and the New York Post. His debut graphic novel Cave-In was nominated for three Harvey Awards, one Eisner Award, and listed as one of the Comics Journal's "five best comics of 1999". His second graphic novel Climbing Out was awarded a Xeric Grant in 2001.
More about Brian Ralph...
Daybreak Climbing Out Daybreak Vol. 1 Reggie-12 Daybreak Vol. 2