Start by marking “Breaking Point” as Want to Read:
Breaking Point

Breaking Point (Crashers #2)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Breaking Point

Dana Haynes

High above the mountains of Montana, a twin turbo prop plane plunges from the sky and crashes into the forest. On board are three members of the NTSB: pathologist Tommy Tomzak, Navy vet Kiki Duvall, and former FBI agent Isaiah Grey. Known in the field as “Crashers,” they believe the wreck is no accident—the plane was brought down on purpose—and the
Published October 30th 2012 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Point

Emily
cover to cover! I was hoping for a bit more Daria action, I was pleased to see her pop in for the last third of the book. While I find it funny I'm unpleasant by agent Rays misplaced determination to protect Daria.

as for the storyline, I was very surprised by the amount of death. I understood it, but I was certainly not expecting it and to the level of detail. out of the four I've read, I think I enjoy the other books more.

Kiki and Tommy's relationship was very cute and touching to read about
Deon Stonehouse
If you like action, enjoy an adrenalin rush, Dana Haynes is your guy. It starts out fast, picking up the pace as the pages fly by. High octane could be a good description for Haynes’ writing style. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) calls the teams it sends to investigate when a plane goes down “Crashers”. These are people smart enough and strong enough to sort through the grizzly wreckage to find the truth, to figure out what took that long silver body out of the sky. Pathologist T ...more
Rick F.
A magnifencent novel- so very well written- Dana Haynes has proved that he is no one hit wonder- CRASHERS was superb, Breaking Point- with the same characters is like visiting old friends- a terrific second book in a MUST READ series. Those who investigate plane crashes are far more than fact finders- they are complex - very human people- and Mr. Haynes captures the very essense of NTSB procedures and the emotional impact on his characters in a very affecting way. This is stick to your seat read ...more
Lynn Pribus
This one read like the screenplay for a thriller with a really REALLY big special-effects budget. Many casualties -- all in bloody detail -- gunfights, plane crashes, bulldozers, the CIA, the NTSB, stabbings, fires, explosions, etc. etc.

Only a couple white hats in the book -- mostly grey and changing as you read. Click, click, click quick switches from scene to scene.

Good idea not to put this book down for too long or it's easy to lose track of all the characters. A little overwritten, but still
Bill Warden
WOW. Make sure you're well rested when you start this book. It is a sprint from the first word. The action stays high throughout a large majority of the book, with only a few places to take a breath.

If you haven't read this latest book about Tommy, Kiki, and the other "Crashers", take the time to read this one --- and I'm hoping Dana Haynes comes out with a follow-up soon!!!
Andrea Rodriguez
Definitely enjoyed reading Dana Hayes' 'Breaking Point', yet I found it to be kind of slow at the beginning and then, suddenly, BAM!, the theory is thought up and the crash is completely figured out. Also, I got a bit lost with all the switching between the crash site, Halcyon/Detweiler and the Go-Team site, in some parts not being able to follow the storyline as I read, having to go back and reread some segments that had me confused. But those things aside, I really liked it, it was a really we ...more
Nancy
Who are the good guys, who are the bad guys, is the tall blonde bad or the solidly muscled woman with the spiky hair good? Breaking Point by Dana Haynes throws so many characters at you that you find yourself taking inventory from time to time wondering if you have everyone straight and you just know, that by the end of the book, you might just change your opinion of some very interesting people.

“We’ve got false federal agents, a wingless airliner flying under a balloon, air tankers barnstorming
J Edward Tremlett
They are the Crashers. When a plane goes down, the “Go Team” assembles from across the country to secure the wreckage, investigate the incident, and determine what happened, and what — or who — was to blame. It’s a tough job that can sometimes be hazardous and thankless, and requires a certain amount of emotional distance from the horrible event, itself.

But how do you do that when the Crashers, themselves, are in a crash?

When three of the National Transportation Safety Board’s investigators are
Jim
The promise that Dana Haynes exhibited in his book, CRASHERS, is more than equaled in book two. BREAKING POINT (ISBN 978-1250011848, paperback, $9.99) has many of the same characters from the first book as well as a new team of NTSB crash investigators. A really malevolent villain named “Calendar” is introduced.

The creative genius behind a high tech company has created a weapon that by all standards is illegal under international agreements. The military weapons company that is partnering with t
Pamela
I liked this one much better than Crashers, although it isn't without its faults. Reading over my review for Crashers, I noted that he was trying too hard, sometimes, to be a fancy *literary* author (you know, with intricate descriptions and an overabundance of adjectives). Thankfully, Breaking Point was pretty much a straight thriller, which really worked well.

The plot on this was good, and engrossing enough that I just kept reading, and reading, and reading. I like that he kept some of the ch
Lou
This was a very good book. Tommy Tomzak, Kiki Duvall, and Isaiah Gray are on a plane when it goes down unexpectedly in Montana. They become unwitting pawns in a murderous plot involving banned weapons and three other people who WERE the targets of the plot. There are many twists and turns in this book and not only will it keep you non the edge of your seat, it will be hard to put down even to take a break.
This is a re-read and a follow up to Haynes's previous novel, Crashers, about an NTSB crash investigation team.
While I like the crash investigation aspect of these books, I felt like Breaking Point was missing a lot of the detail that Crashers brought. Quite a few characters were killed off, and Haynes seems to be spinning off a tangential character into her own series rather than focusing on his NTSB stories. It disappoints me just a little, because I feel like there are a lot of action/adventu
Paul
Like Chasers, Breaking Point centers on the investigation of an airline crash. There are also some other unfortunate similarities: reliance on an unknown weapon that remotely debilitates planes as the cause of the crash, some rather obvious rule-keepers vs. mavericks personality conflicts, and an over-the-top violent ending. Still, the first 80% of this story is a great page-turning chase.
Shannon
Although this is the second book in the series, I didn't read the first one. This book stands on it's own. Good light read.
Beverly
Interesting area of concern, government intrigue and corporate/private espionage.
Harvey
I am usually not a fan of pure "thrillers".

Nevertheless, Haynes makes the nerdy world of NTSB crash investigators exciting. Breaking Point is a well written and plotted thriller that actually thrills while maintaining plausiblity and logic (at least up to a point).

Breaking Point brings back smart and brave characters from his debut, Crashers (although reading the first is not necessary to enjoyment of this one).

The climax is definitely (biblically) over the top but I went along for the ride.

Hay
Michelle
So not as good as Crashers, but still a fast, action-packed read. I was a little put off at the beginning when right after the major action starts, the author goes back in time, each one further than the last, for 10 chapters. When your commuting, that makes it hard to keep all of the threads of the story together, but if you're not putting it down during that time, maybe you'll have no problem. I didn't get into the characters so much this time, since there were more POVs this time, but I liked ...more
Rena
Great book. Tons of action, maybe even more than the first. This one has fewer scenes with Daria, but she does join back in at the end.
Trisha Gagnon
I did not like this book as much as the first. It didn't move as quickly. I found it harder to keep track of the characters, and what are the chances of having a second US plane come down so close to what happened in the first book. In the first book you could believe something like the plane crashing could happen. Having something similar happen again to the same people? I didn't buy it.
Not QUITE as wonderful as Crashers, but still a pretty darn awesome page-turner. I was impressed that he managed to use a similar concept as his last novel but in a completely new way that still made a lot of sense. My only complaint was that there seemed to be a lot of gratuitous and unnecessary violence/death - reminiscent of a Stiegg Larsson novel.
Linda

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! This is a sequel to "Crashers", also well worth reading! Look for both of them,
once you start, you won't be able to stop until you are finished, and still want more...I contacted the author, he said the next book is coming in March 2013. I will be eagerly awaiting what happens next!
David
This is the first time I have read anything by Mr. Haynes, and won't be the last. He handles the "thriller" genre like an old pro and I can't wait to read his debut book Crashers.
If I have a nit to pick, he introduces a tad too many characters, but manages to make them distinct enough to stand out.
Jon
Excellent sequel to Crashers about an airplane crash unit. This time members of the team are involved in the crash which involves a government conspiracy and a new weapon. Very cinematic, extremely fun to read. I don't know why more people aren't talking about this series.
Dana
Jul 23, 2012 Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Dana by: I read "Crashers"
Completely, totally AWESOME!! I read this one first and was totally hooked! Great male and female characters; good, relateable (is that a real word?) relationships; the research is amazing and very well-presented and totally understandable. Would highly recommend!
Dot
A plane carrying NTSB crash investigators and a brillant scientist who's designed a nuclear weapon (banned by treaty) crashes mysteriously in Montana forest. Rogue CIA group behind the weapon and fighting assassins,fire,flood the survivors and FBI agent solve it.
Kathryn Dysart
Dana Haynes is one of the nicest guys I know. Who would have suspected that he had such an eerily evil imagination? The first dozen pages or so were confusing to me as I hadn't read the first one but after that it was a real page turner.
Leonore
It starts of well and then it gets a bit ridiculous.
Its interesting about how airplane crashes are investigated but the apocalyptic type ending not my idea of a good ending
Charlotte
Thanks to Goodreads...I have found a new author I love. This book was as thrilling as the first book 'Crashers' and I look forward to wherever Dana chooses to take his next book!
Robin
Jul 10, 2011 Robin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oregon-author
Oh boy oh boy oh boy, can't wait to read this sequel to the CRASHERS by Oregonian Dana Haynes, one of my favorite books last year. Publication due in November 2011.
Kerry
Decent thriller about airplane sabotage and crash/crime investigation. I thought Haynes' first book was better, but there was plenty of excitement.
  • The Ninth Day (Emma Caldridge, #3)
  • The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen (Dix Dodd Mystery, #1)
  • Till Death Do Us Purl (A Black Sheep Knitting Mystery, #4)
  • Unforeseeable (Road to Kingdom #3)
  • Heart of Ice (Triple Threat, #3)
  • Time Travel Adventures Of The 1800 Club: Book I
  • Crushed
  • A Search for the King
  • My Quest for the Yeti: Confronting the Himalayas' Deepest Mystery
  • The Vault (Tyler Locke, #2)
  • Cut and Run (Joe Hunter, #4)
  • Great Work of Time
  • A Lifetime Burning
  • House Divided (Joe DeMarco, #6)
  • The Spy Who Jumped Off the Screen: A Novel
  • A Curtain Falls (Simon Ziele, #2)
  • Murder on a Starry Night
  • Blackwater

Crashers (2 books)
  • Crashers
Crashers Ice Cold Kill (Daria Gibron #1) Gun Metal Heart (Daria Gibron #2)

“The problem with being a really smart prick is, end of the day, you’re still a prick.” 0 likes