Start by marking “The Demon Of Synar (Forced To Serve, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Demon Of Synar (Forced To Serve, #1)
Preview
Read Book

The Demon Of Synar (Forced to Serve #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Being captain of his own rescue ship is the life Liam Synar has always dreamed of living. Being master of a hereditary demon is not. Coveting Malachi's power, his exiled evil brother hunts him, wanting to capture the demon that Liam's life mate now unknowingly hosts. Putting Malachi inside Ania two years ago had been an act to save her when she almost died saving his. If o ...more
Published February 26th 2012

To ask other readers questions about The Demon Of Synar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon Of Synar

Ral's Woman by Laurann DohnerClaimed by Evangeline AndersonGrim by M.K. EidemHunted by Evangeline AndersonSought by Evangeline Anderson
Mars Needs Women Trope
208th out of 324 books — 344 voters
Chasing Justice by Danielle StewartCutting Ties by Danielle StewartGentling the Cowboy by Ruth CardelloMaid for the Billionaire by Ruth CardelloRise of the Billionaire by Ruth Cardello
Platypire Reviews' Top Books of October 2013
249th out of 293 books — 277 voters

More lists with this book...

Sadie Forsythe
The Demon of Synar is not what I expected at all. From the synopsis I thought it would be a paranormal romance or sorts (albeit set in space), maybe even a M/M romance since Malachi is obviously male. It is neither of these things. I suspect there will be more romance in the future books, but there is almost none in this one. Despite that, I really like the story, the characters and their special differences. It's fast paced and engrossing.

What I didn't like is that the book is the first in a s
Toni (U.A.C.)
SciFi. This is a serial. Even though this is book one it feels like a follow on book two or whatever. Didn't care for any of the characters enough to continue to read this story. They didn't even get around to having sex...no, they just share each other's vibrations. Vibrations? Whatever. I found it all quite a bit boring.
Ricochet
I really wish I could give half stars. This for me was a three and a half star book.
A pleasant surprise of a read. I downloaded this via Kindle to be honest because it was free but I will happily pay for the sequels. A major problem in many e-books is the lack of proofreading. Thankfully that was not an issue here.
I did find the pacing a bit disjointed but it does make sense in the story. The characters aren't as likeable as I'm used to except the demon. That may say more about me than the auth
Gaele
AudioBook Review Stars: Overall: 4 Narration 4 Story 4

Starting out with a scene that turns out to be completely necessary for the background information, we are quickly introduced to Liam Synar, his best friend Dorian, his chosen mate Aria and the central character for conflict Malachi the demon in servitude to the Synar family.

Incorporating multiple races of beings, the story is consistently informed by the behavioral customs and approaches particular to the different races, some even creating
Kathy Dubois
Loved this book!!! Can't wait to read the next in the series! Also listened to the audio version. Great listening.
April
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

This book starts off feeling like you missed another book or short story detailing events that are discussed in the prologue. I had to go back and read the book blurb to get up to speed on what was going on, although that also only recapped the first hour or so of the book. I really think some sort of prequel is in order to clarify relationships and events.

The overall story is really interesting once you get into things, if a touch complex
Jasmyn
Captain Liam Synar made a very tough decision when he saved the life of his new mate, Ania Looren, by forcing her to become a demon host - perhaps it was the wrong decision. His way of dealing with it is to not tell her and then disappear for two years (not the most noble of deeds). While he is gone, Ania realizes that something is wrong but can't quite figure out what it is. When Liam's evil brother attacks her family trying to get the demon that she hosts under his control - Liam is forced to ...more
Reeses
See original post here!

I received a copy of The Demon of Synar for an honest review.

Captain Liam Synar and Ambassador Ania Looren were bonded and supposed to live hundreds of years together. Instead all that changes when Liam’s brother escapes his exiled prison and sends assassins to kill Liam and his demon Malachi. Instead Ania throws herself in front of Liam so save him. Liam made the decision to send Malachi his demon to heal and keep Ania alive. When Ania is healed Liam goes away promising
Rachel at theJeepDiva
I really enjoyed reading this story and I will continue on with the series. I give the book 4 stars.

Liam made some really bad choices in this story but his heart was in the right place for several of them. As Captain and demon master he should have thought his actions through but he also wasn’t trained to be a demon master. This man had me wanting to shake him a couple times but then again so did Ania with their stubbornness and blindness.

The different inhabitants of different planets were reall
Maxie
The Demon of Synar Donna McDonald

Esteemed author Donna McDonald has a brand new series demonstrating her vivid, lyrical writing style on a different realm. Demon of Synar is a science fiction, romance, with a darker ambience than Ms. McDonald's usual narratives. Her creative versatility provides readers with such diversity it elevates her writer's craft to a higher level. Force to Serve series has a darker mood it maintains the silky richness fluidity and the beautiful warmth of a deep abiding l
Melinda
Complicated Genealogy

This is a prequel to the novel Forced to Serve. It takes a while to understand just what capabilities beings have, as the genealogy is so very complex, and everyone has different ages and powers.

The book isn't so much about the Demon of Synar, but the Demon master and the Demon host. Once you figure out what's going on, it becomes much more interesting. I especially liked the brash yet fresh character of Gwen, who at only thirty five years of age deals with others who are ce
Cara Correll
This was well written in my opinion, as it kept me interested and this is not normally my 1st choice in types of books to read, but a friend asked me to read it and I did, I am quite happy that I did. This will be one of those that will take your mind through many emotions and feelings. You will feel like you are part of one of those action packed movies in one of the places that shows the imax movies, you will be a part of it and go through with it. Well done!
Samantha K
I've had this book for a while and for some reason I kept putting off reading it. I guess the premise of the story didn't really appeal to me. The idea of the hero putting a demon inside his wife just seemed like a turn off. I only had the book because it's free.

Well, I finally got around to reading it and I was very pleasantly surprised. What a great story with interesting and believable characters! The story was so interesting I could hardly put it down. Yes, the book ends with some unresolved
Juliana Rodrigues
The first couple of chapters was a little boring, but once Liam and Ania have to spent time together again, the story became more interesting.
Liam Synar is a captain of a spaceship by choice and a Demon Master by circumstance, and is this unwillingness to accept his destiny added to his love for Ania (although he doesn't recognize as that) that but him and his mate in a delicate situation. Having to fly around space to stay away from Conor.
Elise Weber
I loved this book. The world building was creative and fascinating and woven into the story flawlessly. The characters were becoming more and more interesting (and in some cases more irritating). The one drawback for me was the romance. I actually found it distracting to what I really wanted to read about. It's hard to get into the romance when two of the characters ( one part of each couple, Liam and Gwen) are world class jerks. I found myself rooting against them. Maybe this changes in the nex ...more
Jennifer Erwin
I got this as a freebie download, and I really enjoyed this one. We are introduced to all these wonderful characters, who get their own stories later. I really look forward to reading the rest of this series.
Shaly
I was so confused with the beginning of this book, I didn't understand what was going on, who Malachi was, why he was a spirit or demon, it was just so many things happening at once. I think this has the potential to be a great series and I'm mad that it left off the way it did. I was actually more interested in reading about Dorian and Gwen than I was about Liam and Ania, those two characters were just not popping enough for me. I wouldn't mind picking up the rest of the books in this series, m ...more
Lisa Jon
Free Read-at the time I got this- A great Space Opera -love this title!!! A great book in this series a real live star trek of cast of characters that we will see in the next books.
In this book our Captian saves his new mate by placing his family in her body to save her life-but doesnt tell her and leaves to chase the bad guys. After his wife gets in trouble on her home world -he tells her-and she returns to the ship and tries to deal with having a demon and a mate- The struggles of the mates a
Katrina
More 2.5* for me - confusing at the beginning, stilted in the middle and unresolved at the end. Meh
Jilly
Surprised me how much I enjoyed it.
Eddie Jong
What an amazing book and series.

Donna is one of those authors that I will carry on reading until I have devoured all her books.

Although this is a scifi book, this book focuses almost exclusively on the people, their hopes, fears and tragedies, and it is done well. If you truly want to be swept away into a unique and fascinating world, this book should do it for you - it certainly did for me.

I could not stop at the end of any of the books, and simply had to buy the next in the series and carry o
Yaz
The story involves hard and impossibles choices. Captain Synar inherited the demon his brother was trained to control. Liam Synar's brother Conor Synar wants his rightful place as the demon's master and it is willing to stop at nothing.

How far would you go in order to save someone you love? This is the paradigm Liam Synar is forced to solve. His choices will mark not only his life but perhaps many more lives.

I enjoyed reading this story. The characters are likable and complex.
Benny
: I am not entirely sure about this book to be honest with you, the beginning I found quite confusing, and I couldn’t quite figure out what it was all about, I like books that draw me in from the first page and I will be honest and say that this wasn’t the case, it took me a while to get into it to be honest, and when I finally got into it, the book was over, which was disappointing....

The rest of the review can be found in the BTS e-magazines
Dianne
In the end, I enjoyed this book. but more importantly I really enjoyed the rest of the series and am impatient for the next installment. This book was difficult to get into, the characters and context confusing initially. I struggled for at the first two thirds of the book, but as the author explains this book lays the groundwork for the rest of the series. persevere, it is well worth it.
Rachel
An entertaining and enjoyable read that develops the characters, plots and background that forms the basis to this story and the follow-up. Great character interplay and a story that draws the reader into the plot. On the basis of this book I bought the follow-up so that I could continue the story.
Colette Kebell
I'm not a massive fan of SciFi, however, having said that I thoroughly enjoyed this book and where it took me. Donna is a great writer and keeps the home fires burning.....
Kirsten Lenius
Interesting. The language used was a bit stilted, perhaps overly so, probobly in an attempt to show that the folk do not think like humans. I found the story interesting, but it ended without any sense of even temporary resolution. That said, I may go on to see what happens next.
E
I got bored and quit. The beginning had zero character development because the author described each character in the beginning, and so nothing could keep my interest. This is why authors need to learn characterisation instead of just explaining every character in 2 lines.
Melissa
What would you do in order to save the life of your mate? Make her a demon host and run away? That is how this story begins. Though the story does not end with any resolution it is the first in a series and makes you wanting more. I can't wait to read the next installment.
Julie Baswell
I wasn't very interested in this story at the beginning. However, it quickly picked up. I loved all the characters but the two main ones were my second favorites. I loved the interaction of Zade and Gwen best. I'm ready to read more of their story. ...more
Q&A with Donn...: TDOS ebook is uploaded to Goodreads 1 6 Jan 01, 2013 07:00PM
Q&A with Donn...: Contest on my paranormal blog 1 3 Jun 05, 2012 09:50PM
  • Taken  by the Storm (Ontarian Chronicles, # 1)
  • Heart of Stone
  • Rebel Heart
  • Daryk Hunter (Daryk World, #1)
  • The Light Within Me (Six Saviors, #1)
  • No Quarter (Bounty, #1)
  • No Words Alone (Spark, #2)
  • Mission Menage (Operation Erotic, #1)
  • Neptune’s Lair
  • Codename Autumn (Undercover Embassy #1)
  • Thief (Fringe, #1)
  • Blood of the Beast (The Blood Chronicles #1)
  • I Married an Alien
  • Nyssa's Guardian (More Than Male, #1)
  • The Price of Pleasure (Saurellian Federation, #1)
  • Embracing Silence (Project Alpha, #1)
  • Outcast (Cat Star Chronicles, #4)
  • Cursed by Darkness (Befallen Tides, #1)
I am an active dreamer and find writing to be the best way to use my creativity. Needing to satisfy both sides of my brain, I have become a cross-genre author of contemporary, romantic comedy, fantasy, science fiction, and paranormal romances.

I feel blessed that my books appear on bestseller lists for humor, romantic comedy, space opera, and more. I crave laughter from all my readers and focus my
More about Donna McDonald...

Forced to Serve (5 books)
  • The Demon Master's Wife (Forced To Serve, #2)
  • The Siren's Call (Forced to Serve, #3)
  • The Healer's Kiss(Forced to Serve, #4)
  • The Demon's Change (Forced To Serve #5)
Dating a Cougar (Never Too Late, #1) Carved In Stone (Art of Love, #1) Dating a Saint (Never Too Late, #3) Dating Dr. Notorious (Never Too Late, #2) Dating a Metro Man (Never Too Late, #4)