Start by marking “Five Star Review (A Review Story, #1)” as Want to Read:
Five Star Review (A Review Story, #1)

Five Star Review (A Review Story)

Gay romance author Cade Montgomery is so thrilled when his latest book is given an excellent review by Eric Carillo that he sends Eric a personal e-mail thanking him for the rating. Occasional e-mails become frequent, and soon Cade and Eric are talking online almost every day. Their online relationship spans a thousand miles, but that doesn't mean it's not real. Can their ...more
Published April 11th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Five Star Review, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Star Review

Sara
Jan 16, 2014 Sara rated it did not like it
Oh goodness. This was a mess. I mean, yeah , um no it was just a mess. It sounded like it would be cute; boy meets boy because he reviews boys book, they develop a flirtation (albeit kinda creepy so soon) and become friends via email/text etc over a year. Sounds fun right? Well, it was to a point. I mean, Eric DOES have a fish called Wanda and had his friend been named Ken and not Kyle I would have been all over that like a cheap whore, BUT he didn’t and really, who the hell is Eric anyway? I ...more
Vio
Apr 14, 2012 Vio rated it liked it
An unusual first half I enjoyed most of the story and that little unexpected surprise added a different feel to this love story. I thought both Cade and Eric were great their banter with texts, emails and IM was a fun and good way of getting to know each other. The second half and ending were a disappointment and dragged the story down somewhat, issues were resolved to quickly and some of the endearments used were also an annoyance for me. Overall this could have been so much better!
Enny
Apr 17, 2012 Enny rated it it was ok
This book had an interesting premise but the wodden writing style and the predictable plot made it a big disappointment to me.
Chris
Apr 22, 2012 Chris rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, ebook, 2012
Meh m/m romance about an m/m author and a reviewer who become friends online and then have the chance to meet. Unfortunately, this was stilted, cliched, awkward, and just painful to read at times.
Rachel
Apr 14, 2012 Rachel rated it did not like it
1.5 star for me. I liked the premise for the story, but the writing style didn't work for me at all. Felt very rudimentary in the writing style.
MsMiz (Tina)
Apr 14, 2012 MsMiz (Tina) rated it it was ok
Shelves: glbt-all, pdf
Great premise, but the execution did not work for me.
Tina Marie
Apr 12, 2012 Tina Marie rated it it was amazing
Excellent first book by a promising new author. I had never read a book with a (view spoiler) it was a surprise when I read that part. I can't wait for the sequel!
Natalie
1.5-2 stars. I liked the idea of this, but the writing style did not work for me at all.
Meggie
Apr 19, 2012 Meggie rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
The storyline was sweet and nice, but it felt empty. Sure here we have a romance between a writer and a reviewer or editor of textbooks. Their relationship started with emails, chats and developed into meeting up and falling in love. So far so good...
Truthfully I didn't feel this instant attraction between Cade and Eric. Sure they joked playfully with each other, but this small crisis plotted at the end was simply to childish and bordered toward Idiotic. I couldn't take it serious. It would be
Lauren
Apr 12, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
This was a great little read! I bought this on a whim, because I saw someone post about it on facebook, and I'm so glad that I did. The blurb instantly caught my attention, and I was eager to read it straight away. The story sort of took me by surprise just under half way through - I'm sure the people who have read it will know what I'm referring to - but I love when a story can surprise me like that, as long as it's in a good way and adds something to the story. Five Star Review was sweet, sexy ...more
Morgana
Apr 23, 2012 Morgana rated it did not like it
Meh. I couldn't care less what happened to the main characters. Frankly, I almost didn't finish this book. And the blurb sounded so good... *sighs*

Even if I don't like the story I tend to give half a star if the writing is good, if it flows smoothly. I'm really sorry to say this, but the one here was just awkward.

Definitely not a book I would recommend.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
Sweet story, I liked the twist with Eric and the slow emailing and getting to know each other.
The last 1/3 went by so fast I felt a bit whip lashed.
All in all a sweet feel good story, just wished the resolution or the "issue" that had to be resolved had been done differently. But I will try this authors books again!
Blackrei
Apr 13, 2012 Blackrei rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm, romance
1.5
the beginning was good but once they are together, the dialogues and writing style weren't for me
jules0623
Jun 20, 2012 jules0623 rated it did not like it
Shelves: relationship-m-m
The premise was so good, but this unfortunately fell far short of expectations. I didn't feel any connection between the MCs at all and felt the sex scenes and emails were so cheesy that I was actually cringing in second-hand embarrassment while reading. I was a third of the way through the book before I learned anything real about the characters and the writing in general was immature. I had been excited to read this after reading the blurb but I was really disappointed in the execution.
Veronica /  V
Oct 25, 2013 Veronica / V rated it really liked it
This is a really nice story, very short but for me, it was right to the point.
Lovely indeed.
Phaney
Apr 26, 2013 Phaney rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, hell-no
It’s really awkward when a book begins with an excerpt from an in-story novel that’s supposed to be amazing and… uh. It really isn’t. But it does make for an amusing introduction, if only because it made me howl with laughter.
That excerpt? Clumsy exposition that would make no sense in the final chapter of a novel, tangled sentence structures, summary-style descriptions, unstable viewpoints, cheesy dialogue and a serious lack of emotional impact for what should be the heart-wrenching, jubilant fi
Gabbi

Five Star Review is the first book I’ve read written by Lara Brukz. I’m always excited to read new to me authors and I by the end of the book, I was excited to add Ms. Brukz to the list of authors that I really like to read. Between the fast-paced storyline and the hot chemistry between the two heroes, Five Star Review was a quick and highly enjoyable read for me.

Cade Montgomery balances writing homoerotic romance novels and his full time job. Even though h
Chris Einfach unverbesserlich
Eric Carillo rezensiert regelmäßig Bücher und wird überraschend von einem Autor – Cade Montgomery – per eMail kontaktiert. Schnell entwickelt sich zwischen Leser und Autor eine eMail-Freundschaft. Dabei tauschen sie sich nicht nur über Bücher, sondern auch ihrem Alltag aus. Ihre Gespräche werden intensiver und es kommt auch zu Dirty Talk. Während Cade in der Öffentlichkeit steht und Eric von dem attraktiven Mann fasziniert ist, scheut er sich selbst zu zeigen. Dabei ist Eric alles andere als ein ...more
Thomaidha Papa
Apr 14, 2012 Thomaidha Papa rated it really liked it
Teasing, tempting and humorous Lara Brukz introduces us with a very touching love story of her charming characters, Cade, a cocky, funny, intelligent middle-aged man and Eric, a sensitive, shy and absolutely adorable25 year old temptation. Both of them share a common tragedy that has transformed Cade into an unapproachable man when it comes to intimacy, love and relationships, and Eric into a man that takes life as it comes and makes the best of it.
A well written story with a great sense of hum
Elisa Rolle
Nice novella with an unexpected twist. Cade is a M/M romance writer, Eric one of his readers and a reviewer; after one nice and positive review, Cade sends a thank you message to Eric and they start an online relationship full of innuendos. Then it arrives the day Cade is in the same city as Eric, and of course he asks Eric out for a date, to discover that Eric is on wheelchair. Instead of being disappointed, Cade thinks Eric is even a better man than what he thought, the only problem is that ...more
Rosemary
Apr 13, 2012 Rosemary rated it liked it
I did enjoy several things about this story. The concept really worked for me, but I think the execution of that concept ultimately fell short. I liked the two main characters, I liked their families (I wish we had more of them in fact, both of their siblings and their respective partners all seemed really cool), I liked most of the first half of the book and I thought the surprise we got about one of the main characters half way through added an interesting element to the story. What did not ...more
Lisa J.
Jan 31, 2014 Lisa J. rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. What a great premise, but the writing was clunky -- the dialogue was too flowery, phrases were repeated and there's a lot of crying. There was no real hint of something beyond friendship until Cade and Eric meet in person (before that Cade brags about his sexual conquests). The emails/IMs/texts had no depth, so I'm not sure what forged the connection between Cade and Eric.
I was engaged enough, so I'll probably read the sequel to find out how the author redeems Marshall, who we are to
Alina
Feb 22, 2014 Alina added it
Okay, I bought this story, because I liked the whole emailing each other thing, it seemed unusual and interesting. Turned out it was plain ridiculous, sorry. No way I'm believing it's two grown man writing each other such over the top cheesy and sappy emails, it looked like something teenage girls would write. I almost put the story aside, but decided to try and still finish it and surprisingly it got much better. Too much not very hot sex, but other that that very readable and I actually ...more
Suze
Feb 16, 2015 Suze rated it liked it
Recommended to Suze by: Prize from MM group anniverary
A 3.5 read. I really enjoyed the concept of the book - meeting by email and developing a relationship slowly - and the first part of the book, dealing with the email correspondence was very good. The initial meeting of the boys seemed off, but the reason why became apparent as they left the restaurant and I didn't see that coming. Whilst I loved that they did get together, I wasn't so keen on the 'Blue Eyes' references and I just preferred their cheeky banter by email. A good, engaging quick ...more
Jeremy Pack
Apr 28, 2012 Jeremy Pack rated it really liked it
Five Star Review was a fun little book, with a great surprise! Ms. Brukz did an excellent job setting the stage for it--and I always get tickled when a story catches me off guard the way this one did.

I really liked the way the relationship developed, perhaps because it struck home for me. My partner and I e-courted between Seattle and Arizona, too, so the email and text exchanges made me smile frequently.

I was utterly enchanted!
Zaa
Jun 14, 2012 Zaa rated it liked it
I'd say the book was not so bad but not too good either. It was an 'okay' read for me. One thing that attracted me for reading the book was the fact that it is a friendship turn to a romance relationship between a book author and a reviewer. The first half of the book was a lot of fun. They started out by emailing each other, talking a bit about their pasts via IM , send each other text messages and then meet in person for first time. And yea major plot rather predictable and a bit rushed.
blub
Aug 10, 2012 blub rated it liked it

At the start of the book I loved the story. I thought Cade and Eric were adorable with their flirty banter and I liked the fact that reader's got to know both characters as they too were getting to know each other. The last two chapters was where I started to not love it so much...it got really dramatic and mushy fast.
Dani Elle Maas
Nov 16, 2013 Dani Elle Maas rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book
I see i never put down a rating for it
but it is one of the book i keep remembering
and i just got back to reading it again because of the sequel that is coming
still love the way this book is written the charaters of both cade and eric are fantastic!
Barb ~rede-2-read~
May 29, 2012 Barb ~rede-2-read~ rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
A cute story, somewhat predictable, but still a fun way to spend a rainy afternoon. If the half stars were available, I'd give it 3.5
Leaundra
Apr 16, 2012 Leaundra rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet book and I loved how they got to know each other over the internet before they meet in person.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Five Star Review by Lara Brukz 1 18 Apr 11, 2012 06:57AM
  • Seizing It
  • False Start
  • A Hole in God's Pocket
  • Your Biggest Fan: Gay New Adult Crossdressing Coming Out Romance (Self-Discovery Series Book 1)
  • Galley Proof
  • Making Ends Meet
  • A Beautiful Disaster
  • Absent-Minded Astrophysicist (Astrophysicist, #1)
  • First Impressions
  • All the Things I Didn't See
  • Wallflowers
  • The Heart of the Jungle
  • A Cowboy  In Ravenna (Uncommon Cowboys #6)
  • See (Ripples In The Water, #1)
  • Marlowe's Ghost
  • Riot Boy (Superpowered Love, #2)
  • Scars (Scars #1)
  • Sounds of Love (Senses and Sensations, #1)

A Review Story (2 books)
  • Reviewing Life (A Review Story, #2)