Start by marking “Twice Bitten: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #3)” as Want to Read:
Twice Bitten: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #3)

Twice Bitten: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  11 reviews
While in prison, Ron Trentweiler, a petty thief, is befriended by an itinerant preacher and gets “religion.” Upon his release, he founds a small, storefront Pentecostal-style church in his native, rural Alabama. Enter Winona Stepp, a visitor at one of his services who seems to know all about "Brother Ron," as he has taken to calling himself, yet insists upon keeping her pa ...more
Published January 12th 2012 by Createspace (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Twice Bitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twice Bitten

Sheila
Joe Perrone Jr is one of the few authors I’ve read who successfully combines first and third person narration in a single novel. The effect is fascinating. While protagonist and narrator Matt Davis polices his upstate New York fishing village and investigates murder, the reader pieces together events from the past in search of a connection. The connections are always satisfying when they arise, and the author’s perfect timing ensure’s no feeling of being cheated in getting ahead of good police w ...more
Glenda Findley
An enjoyable read.

The author, Joe Perrone, Jr. again showed good characterization building with an interesting plot combining back history, this time, of the antagonists.

In this book, I like that the series hero, Matt Davis, Roscoe Police Chief, seemed to take a minor, yet important role, in the first person storytelling. I was confused as to the amount of text attributed to Val's medical, as it didn't tie-in to the story, yet good characterization for future novels. Specifically, I enjoyed th
Jess Scott
As I struggle through the text of the massive hit, FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, I've found TWICE BITTEN to offer much better material for my mind to peruse and enjoy.

First things first--TWICE BITTEN (Kindle Edition) was very well formatted. I opened up a Kindle book the other day where the Table of Contents was a little wonky (split in the middle over two pages) which kind of affected my reading experience from the onset (I have since sent a note to the author and hope she makes an updated version). I
Collette Scott
Once again Matt Davis finds himself wrapped up in a case that seems to be just beyond the reach of his small Roscoe, NY town, but once again he prevails! Justice rules - and this time it arrives not just in the form of the police. In this installment, Mr. Perrone weaves a touch of personal trauma in Matt Davis’ life with his wife’s health issues. It gives him that much more of a realistic feel, and I just loved how he hops in his Jeep to do a little chasing toward the end of the story. Okay… mov ...more
David Brown
Many years ago, I remember watching an episode of UK crime drama Taggart where someone was planting venomous snakes in people’s houses and this book brought it all back. Approaching Twice Bitten, the third Matt Davis Mystery, I was under no illusions that snakes may have something to do with the storyline given the cover and the title too. Naturally, I was intrigued.

Twice Bitten has different narratives running through the story. One is a third person narrative of Ron Trentweiler who finds relig
Cathy Speight
This is a Matt Davis mystery. I believe it’s the third in the series. I haven’t read the preceding two, but that’s not a requirement to understand and enjoy this book. It stands alone very well, thank you!

As you might expect from the cover and the title, snakes are involved, no less their venomous qualities. Don’t let these members of the cast put you off: even the most ophidiophobic of readers won’t get too spooked.

The story starts with the death of a Meth dealer: despite a list of obvious susp
Deedra
I really liked this book.The main plot was great,as was the storyline of the main characters family.The fact that some of it was set in towns I grew up near was icing on the cake!The narrator was wonderful.His voice was perfect for this reading.The only thing that would have been better was if the audiobook did not contain the sound of rain,if it was raining and other things like that.I found that a bit distracting.
Wayne Zurl
Twice Bitten
By Joe Perrone Jr.

I’m a sucker for stories about former big town cops who become small town police chiefs. In Twice Bitten Joe Perrone pulls it off with style. His hero, ex-NYPD detective Matt Davis now brings law and order to the little upstate community of Roscoe, NY.
Another reason I liked this book is because it took me to plenty of places I know. Through Sullivan, Delaware, Greene, and even Broome counties in the southern tier to a fishing holiday in Oakdale on Long Island, onl
Alison French
I enjoyed this story, which I thought moved along at a good pace and brought together well the humdrum life of a small town police department with strange occurances on their patch. I liked the fact that the detection by the police did not hinge on far fetched speculation and effectively set out believable processes without making them sound boring. The only thing that disrupted the flow for me was that some of the descriptions around fly fishing went into a little too much detail. Not being an ...more
Sharon Michael
Entertaining police procedural with solid characters and a good feel for the politics and problems of a very small town police department. A quick read and entertaining.

The only thing I had some trouble with was the changing point of view, from the chief of police to the criminal, some of the transitions were not as smooth or clear as they could have been.

And from a personal standpoint, I mostly skimmed the extensive descriptions of the snakes and the snake handling preachers. I'm aware of the e
Joe Perrone Jr
Mar 12, 2012 Joe Perrone Jr rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I am not reviewing this book, since I am the author. But if I didn't rate it 5 stars, I should not have published it...lol. I hope others will read, enjoy, and review it.
Justin Christman
Justin Christman marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Familyreader
Familyreader marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Rachel Helwig
Rachel Helwig marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Joan Cahill
Joan Cahill marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Sharee Johnson
Sharee Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
B.  Keith Barron
B. Keith Barron marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Jebbie
Jebbie marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Courtney Allmon-bady
Courtney Allmon-bady marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
FREE Kindle Download Scheduled 1 1 Feb 03, 2012 06:10AM

Matt Davis Mysteries (4 books)
  • As the Twig Is Bent: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #1)
  • Opening Day: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #2)
  • Broken Promises: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #4)
As the Twig Is Bent: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #1) Opening Day: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #2) Escaping Innocence: A Story of Awakening Broken Promises: A Matt Davis Mystery (Matt Davis Mysteries, #4) A "Real" Man's Guide To Divorce: ("First, You Bend Over And...")