Start by marking “Portlandia: A Guide for Visitors” as Want to Read:
Portlandia: A Guide for Visitors

Portlandia: A Guide for Visitors

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Thinking of visiting Portlandia? Discover all that this magical, dreamy city has to offer with PORTLANDIA: A Guide for Visitors. Inside you'll find:

A comprehensive guide to all restaurants and food carts, including extensive use of symbols to signify Vegan, Freegan, Sea-gan, Wheelchair-Accessible, Skateboard-Accessible, Segway-Accessible, Clothing Optional, Polyamorous, LG
Published November 13th 2012 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Portlandia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Portlandia

The Portland Red Guide by Michael Munk60 Hikes Within 60 Miles by Paul GeraldDot-To-Dot, Oregon by Sid MillerThis is Portland by Alexander BarrettZinester's Guide to Portland by Shawn Granton
Travel Portland
12th out of 29 books — 3 voters
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodAnnie's Plaid Shirt by Stacy B. DavidsHausfrau by Jill Alexander EssbaumThe Vagina Monologues by Eve EnslerFull Frontal Feminism by Jessica Valenti
Third Wave Feminism
34th out of 56 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan Rose
This is a comedy books written by the creators of the show Portlandia, like many comedy books from T.V shows 'The Mighty Book of Boosh', 'The Mitchell and Webb book' this is really only for fans of the show as a lot of the jokes are call backs to the T.V series.

This book is not ground breakingly hilarious but it definitely is amusing and makes me want to re-watch the TV series a lot.

This is a great book to read whilst doing other things or to pick up and put down as it is written in very short
Shayna Ross
Alright, so first off, don't read this book unless you watched the show. It's honestly not going to make any sense otherwise. Secondly, it's a "guide book" for the city "Portlandia," so it's also not going to have funny stories, it's going to reference generally most things they have done on the show.

With that said and done, Portlandia (the show and this particular guidebook) is something that can come across hilarious, strange, and weirdly sad. It's one of the more culturally and socially in-tu
Mandi Coyne
Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein should be ashamed that a tree had to die in order to print this book.

If you have not seen the show, there's no point in you reading this book. Actually, if you have seen the show there's no point in you reading this book, either.

Throughout the book the authors reference skits they have performed on the show and talk about fictional destinations you can find in "Portlandia." It was not amusing in the least bit. It would have been better if they would have talke
Dry and overboard. The copyright page was the most amusing in the whole thing. 200 pages of continuing a joke that was over and told, and which no one would really fully get unless they lived here anyway, after one paragraph. Probably the whole point.
A quirky little parody based on the TV show Portandia. As a fan of the show and a native of Portland, Oregon, I found it to be about as funny as the show. A very quick read.
Marykay Pogar
I must move here immediately. It seems they all drive just the way I do. What's a turn signal?
Fred and Carrie's podcast interviews on their impressions of Portland are more funny and interesting than this faux travel guide. A quirky look at the actual Portland from their perspectives might have been amusing, esp. since some of the best similar guides (like Chuck Palahniuk's Fugitives and Refugees) are outdated already, not long after their publication. Instead, we have rehashes of skits mainly from season two, which was much less funny than the first. Although this isn't a book on the re ...more
Catherine Baran
A very entertaining guidebook on the fictional town of Portlandia. Just like the TV series, this guide takes in the sights, quirks and oddballs that you'd come across if this place as it is in the series did in fact exist.
I found myself repeatedly giggling to myself and drawing strange looks when reading entries like the 'Artist living on the Frontier Properties' - a real estate agency that specializes in what at best can be described as hipster-chic. Or as they aptly put it "The place is a cle
It recycles a lot of the characters and scenarios from the series, which I like, but it transplants them into an actual guidebook for someone, which made me sad I don't live in Portland anymore. Also, there are no other races featured - but it knowingly pokes fun at itself in this regard. There's a section that says it's like New Orleans except with the Cajun, French, Spanish, Caribbean, Creole influences removed. True dat!
This is a companion book to the comedy TV show, Portlandia, based in the city stuck in the 90's grunge/hippie culture Portland, Oregon. It works as a sort of guide book for the community in a humorous setting and layout. Although I've found the show quite quirky and humorous the book was bland in comparison. In some respects it explained some stuff that was on the show but somehow seems to be lost a bit in the translation to book form. Ironicly it was one of those rare situations that the book v ...more
shireen Hakim
Fun, but a little too ironic and snarky for me. Too fictionalized to be worth reading. Like, is there really an Allergic People Parade? Or am I just reading a funny story. Is there really a grown up people playground time? Or am I just looking at funny pictures of people in business clothes?

So not really worth it.

XOXO (and ABCDEFGHIJKLMNPQRSTUVWYZ so you dont feel left out), Fred and Carrie.

That part made it worth reading.
Mary Lazowski
Here's the deal: If you love the show, you'll love the book. If you are not into the show at all, you'll probably hate it. Personally, I adore the show, and I find this book to be the perfect companion for it. It's filled with hilarious inside jokes that only fans of the show will truly get, and they touch base on pretty much every character from the first two seasons, including guests. Because of this, if there's a sketch or character you don't care for, you most likely will not enjoy their por ...more
Jan 18, 2013 Diana rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
A few chuckles here and there, but generally - if you've watched Portlandia, you don't need to read this. If you've read Stuff White People like, you don't need to read this. This book feels like one big "inside" joke for Portlanders - except the premise falls flat because they rehash every joke and stereotype about hipsters thats been made over the last few years.

There's really nothing fresh they introduce here, at one point Fred and Carrie basically take one of the show's first scenes from the
Ana Rodriguez
The Portlandia book is a must have guide for visitors traveler’s guide .
People might find themselves wandering around the streets of Portland without this guide.
Armisen and Brownstein have given fans an exclusive look into their version of the city. The book features a very detailed maps of the second season’s Brunch Village, as well as in-depth coded guide to Portlandia’s local dining scene.
This is a guide to all restaurants and food carts, and places.
Accessible, Clothing Optional, and very det
Rand McGreal
An admirable extension of the tv show. Just as funny and ironic. I laughed every four pages and out loud at least as many times. This is not a travel guide since many of the places mentioned are fictional or have a different name in real life. The book does capture the show in its clever format, a combination of a funky web blog and doodles. It is a definite smile-maker. It is better than any other tv show, but not as good as the tv show. It is in color! Enjoy!
Basically a book version of the show; you hear a bit more from your favorite characters, but you also have to sift through long retreads of almost every skit from the tv show. Probably only 20% of this book is new material overall.
Kathryn Lindsay
I bought this book at Powell's Books as a souvenir when I visited Portland last year. I am a fan of the TV show and it was fun reading the book and reminiscing about some of my favourite Portlandia sketches. I love the 'Women and Women First FEMzine' in the middle of the book. A nice addition would have been a list of some of the filming locations (I ended up looking up a few on the Web to visit while I was there). Overall a short, fun read for fans of the TV show, with lots of illustrations.
Nice recycling of the hipster parody TV series, designed as a tour book.

Printing notes...This book was printed on 130% recycled paper in a peanut-free, smoke-free plant by local workers in a friendly and fair environment, free from sudden noises and unnatural light. By 130% recycled paper, we mean that any papers touching the paper that touched this book was printed on were subsequently destroyed and reconstituted for future use in other publications. etc

I played rhythm triangle but everyone tho
Lisa cheong
Laugh out loud funny. A lot of the jokes assume that you've watched the show and love the universe already. I love it, but then again, I'm incredibly biased.
This got a few laughs from me, but it's not nearly as funny as the TV series, unfortunately. I guess the humor just doesn't translate as well into print.
Becky Jenson Straub
Entertaining enough, but if you didn't watch the show you'd not get most of the jokes.
For fun, I bought this book at Powell's City of Books and read it in Portland. Most of the material is directly related to the TV series of the same name, and the comments from the "Mayor" were humorous (especially the Portlandia suggested reading list). The observational humor is still spot on for Portland, and overall this quick read was a nice review and support to the TV show between seasons. There is not much original material, but for fans it is an addition to the body of work about Portla ...more
Hilarious! If you love the show, you will laugh out loud reading the book.

"If you're used to driving in another city, you may find Portlandia a bit frustrating at first. Motorists here don't 'drive,' by most definitions of the word."

"Add a blend of bicycles, streetcars, homemade vehicles, unscheduled roadwork, constant downpour, and free-range animals to the roadways and you've got a recipe for Portlandia driving!"
Since Portlandia is one of my favorite shows I knew that I would love this book. Each section is based on one part of Portlandia. Different charectors such as Nina and Lance and even the Rats talk about all there is to do and see in the great Portlandia. The Mayer (i.e. Kyle MacLachlan provides a an "official" welcome letter.

If you like the series then you'll enjoy this book.

Rock on Portlandia
Sarah Lee
It was funny, however a lot of it was rehash of stuff you have already seen in the show. I did get a few giggles from it, so definitely flip through it. It's not something that I would purposely pay for however, I just borrowed it from the library. I don't think it is worth paying for and you would never have any need to reread it. It's a bunch of small snippets just like the show.
Good for some laughs. Much of it is in reference to or a rehash of things they've done on the show. Highlights for me: vegan cupcake recipe from the feminist bookstore insert, first "Portland by car" guide (basically, don't drive here!), mayor's fave reggae joints. If you don't find the show funny, you're not the target audience for this book.
Andrew Uys
I haven't seen the show, but plan to this weekend after reading this hilarious book. And I especially enjoyed the tiny shout out to one of my fav graphic novels, Stumptown! Quick & easy to read, I can definitely see why folks have been recommending the show if its anywhere nearly as funny as this "companion" book.
Entertaining quirky insiders humor. Very similar to TV show.
Michelle Tempted By Books
Exactly like the television program. I love the show, one of few that I actually make an effort to watch in fact. This book covers all the same topics and has the same humor. Notes and recommendations from show characters are also included. I can't tell you the number of times I laughed out loud.
  • Western Garden Book of Edibles: The Complete A-Z Guide to Growing Your Own Vegetables, Herbs, and Fruits
  • Weird Al: The Book
  • Requiem for a Paper Bag: Celebrities and Civilians Tell Stories of the Best Lost, Tossed, and Found Items from Around the World
  • The Sexy Book of Sexy Sex
  • Single and Sexy Confessions (Hardcore Hotels Volumes 1-4)
  • Two Gentlemen of Lebowski: A Most Excellent Comedie and Tragical Romance
  • Be Quiet, Bird!
  • Kana de Manga: A Fun, Easy Way to Learn the ABCs of Japanese!
  • Pugetopolis: A Mossback Takes on Growth Addicts, Weather Wimps, and the Myth of Seattle Nice
  • The Night and Gale
  • Cue Cards for Life: Thoughtful Tips for Better Relationships
  • The Price of Fame
  • Demon Blood: Enlightenment (Demon Blood #1)
  • Poets' Guide to America
  • Micronations: the Lonely Planet guide to self-proclaimed nations
  • Look at This Fucking Hipster
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Love Dares You (Season 10, #11-15)
  • Sh*t Girls Say