Start by marking “Uncanny X-Men by Kieron Gillen, Volume 3 (AVX)” as Want to Read:
Uncanny X-Men by Kieron Gillen, Volume 3 (AVX)

Uncanny X-Men by Kieron Gillen, Volume 3 (Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 2 #3)

AVX TIE-IN! Cyclops leads the X-Men into their toughest battle yet as they take on the Earth's Mightiest Heroes! The earth shakes when a Juggernaut-powered Colossus faces off against the Red Hulk! And it's a return to Tabula Rasa as the two teams take their battles worldwide! Plus: Hope is on the run for her life, but can she outrun destiny? And what has Mr. Sinister been ...more
Published October 3rd 2012 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Uncanny X-Men by Kieron Gillen, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncanny X-Men by Kieron Gillen, Volume 3

Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanWatchmen by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanSaga, Volume 2 by Brian K. VaughanY by Brian K. Vaughan
Graphic Novels that are Quality
167th out of 652 books — 505 voters
X-Men by Chris ClaremontX-Men by Chris ClaremontAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 1 by Joss WhedonAstonishing X-Men Omnibus by Joss WhedonX-Men by Chris Claremont
X-Men Trade Paperbacks
202nd out of 205 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

Jul 01, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
What’s worse than a smug, horny, asshat Namor? A smug, horny, asshat Namor that brags about his prowess with any female of any species. Watch it Hepzibah, he’s going to give Daredevil, the original Marvel horn dog, a run for his money!

At least this volume of “You Pick and Read the Adventure – Avengers Versus. X-men” is fun. This is one of the easier volumes to actually follow the story line and having a few issues of knock-down-drag-out fights between the two groups is always a shallow reader bo
Dec 28, 2014 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Good luck reading this volume if you haven't read Avengers vs. X-Men. There's a lot that happens between issues of this book, either over in the main event series or elsewhere. I remembered just enough to basically follow along, but I can imagine that I'd have a very difficult time if I hadn't.

Gillen certainly seems to be on the side of the X-Men, or he's doing a very good impression in his writing. Towards the end of the first issue, the X-Men's PR agent sends out a release that's perfectly sc
Apr 03, 2015 Stephen rated it it was ok

We start off with the titanic underwater fight under Utopia between the Red Hulk vs the Juggernautized looking Colossus. Then we switch to Tabula Rasa and the AI known as Unit. Unit is an interesting character who is a unknown entity but that ends up leading into a place that I think is bad for any book is the requirement to be up on characters that are in a completely separate book.

After all that we get some insight into the first villain of this book Mister Sinister and his Sinister World whic
Jan 02, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing
Gillen's writing of the moments between punches is actually near-poetic. This is great in comparison to some of the writing turned in by Aaron or even Bendis so far. But seriously? Red Hulk loses a tooth in a fight? Nice try. I do enjoy his take on the the aliens from Tabula Rasa, and the arrogance and appeal of Namor - these are both charming, layered and intriguing. The long-overdue flirting between Hepzibah and Namor is hilarious. The Apex scientist's confused interpretation of the battle is ...more
3 stars

The Phoenix Force is back and possesses Hope this time. The Avengers want to take her into custody but Cyclops won't allow it, thus we get A-vs-X. I enjoy Namor's inclusion to the X-Men in this series. His sexual prowess is quite funny.

This volume ends with a story centered around Mr. Sinister and his telling of how he's been pulling the strings behind the curtain.

I almost forgot to include that the Phoenix Force is now divided between Cyclops, Emma, Namor, Magik and Colossus.

Oct 24, 2016 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comicbooks, dc-marvel
Good story. I enjoy Mr. Sinister.
Garrett Ballendine
Oct 18, 2016 Garrett Ballendine rated it it was ok
Interesting look into "Scott Summers was right" but still fell fairly flat with a bunch of boring storylines.
Michael Church
May 09, 2013 Michael Church rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
This is another tie-in to the giant AvX event and, like so many of the others, falls a little flat. There are some great moments, but it's based on things that have already established the characters for me, not anything that happens here. Colossus and Psylocke have become some of my favorite X-Men right now. Granted, Colossus was due to Gillen and Fraction's recent work leading up to this, but Psylocke was entirely because of Rick Remender's STELLAR run on Uncanny X-Force (check out my other re ...more
Sep 14, 2016 Russio rated it liked it
SPOILER ALERT. Three editions of Phoenix part two zillion and then one really interesting issue that ditches the C Men to set up what must be the coming story, one of a troglodytic Mr Sinister, replete with a phalanx of Madeleine Pryors. The irksome thing about this is that the pieces seem wedged so arbitrarily together - the paperback has neither start nor end, and while I do not mind a little trailer or a lack of loose ends, to have it simply start and stop in the midst of different stories re ...more
One Flew
May 02, 2015 One Flew rated it did not like it
These tie in books are generally pointless and boring, this volume being no exception. It's obvious that Marvel and DC love the multi series cross over storylines cause it gets readers to shell out coin for several books they wouldn't buy, but the reader is ultimately the loser in this situation. Nothing positive to say about this one, the action scenes carry no weight or sense of consequence, the story is muddled and the charcter depth is somewhere between shallow and non-existant. Not worth ev ...more
Sep 04, 2013 Laurel rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
I really enjoyed getting these different perspectives on the Avengers vs. X-men event, especially from those unable to make it too the big battle on the moon but must wait for the outcome together. Mr. Sinister is always fun too, love the way he speaks. Land's art was his usual pretty but repetitive style while Dustin Weaver with colorist Jim Charalampidis make an amazing surreal 18th century 'world of sinister.'
Hope has run away and the xmen want to find her before the Avengers. There's some fun confrontations in different locales where the 2 groups don't really want to fight each other. The stand out piece involves Mr Sinisters underground London, beautiful artwork and shows how manipulative and genius Sinister is. A good read.
Travis Layman
Jul 13, 2016 Travis Layman rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Heros fighting heros is always an interesting concept ,but if i have to read every marvel comic out at the moment to understand why they are fighting, then somethings wrong. If i ignore that major flaw then it was still a passable read just nothing truly memorable. Ive enjoyed the last two volumes of this Uncanny X-Men run soo hopefully this isn't going to be the new norm.
Shannon Appelcline
Feb 16, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
I haven’t had great hopes for the major A vs X tie-ins, but this was actually pretty good because Gillen concentrated heavily on the characters. I was also impressed with how well he kept the story coherent, even as it moved in and out of the main A v X story. The final issue on Mr. Sinister was quite good, though a bit too wordy at times.
Jan 04, 2013 Kris rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
The problem with reading a book that ties in with a major event is that, unless you've read the main event books, the tie-ins can be confusing. Still, though, the writing in this 3rd volume is really good; Gillen does a good job with the funny dialogue that I've been enjoying from the x-books lately.
May 24, 2013 Shaun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read the main storyline of Avengers versus X-Men, but I have only come across this tie in novel. It was fun to get insight from some of the main players like Colossus, Namor, and Magneto. They are all larger than life with their own issues which makes them great characters to follow. I enjoyed this issue, but I want to know how this A vs. X story inits entirety.
Adam Fisher
For the most part, having read AvX before, this was almost totally useless Volume. Nice Colossus vs Red Hulk fight and also Thing vs. Namor. Other than that, rehash and a completely useless story about Sinister.
Recommend, only if you haven't read Avengers Vs. X-Men
May 18, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
Oh, Namor. He is my favorite part of this whole run. Refers to himself in the third person, has a brutally honest flirting method, and dry dry dry DRY humor (especially for someone lives under water).
Jul 06, 2014 Seth rated it really liked it
The fight between Red Hulk and the Juggerlossus er...a... I mean the Colossalnaut.... Well anyway it was pretty bad ass! Looking forward to the next installment.
Jan 11, 2015 Jim rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Again, good artwork and interesting storyline, at least the part involving the Avengers. The Mr. Sinister story still seems stupid.
Sep 05, 2014 Elisa rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero
Again skipped the Land issues, loved the two remaining but have to subtract a star because Greg Land taints everything he touches.
Ricky rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Zach Kinkead
Zach Kinkead rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2013
Sean Lavan
Sean Lavan rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2016
Jon rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2013
Adam Braeckman
Adam Braeckman rated it it was ok
May 22, 2014
Garry McLaughlin
Garry McLaughlin rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Daniel rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2013
Marco rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Deb Davis
Deb Davis rated it really liked it
May 08, 2013
  • X-Factor, Volume 16: Together Again For The First Time
  • New X-Men, Vol. 5: Assault on Weapon Plus
  • Uncanny X-Men: The New Age, Volume 4: End of Greys
  • Secret Avengers by Rick Remender, Volume 2
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.
More about Kieron Gillen...

Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 2 (4 books)
  • Uncanny X-Men By Kieron Gillen, Volume 1