3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Inspired by an actual letter in the John F. Kennedy Library written by Jackie and revealing her job offer from the newly formed CIA

When young Jackie Bouvier receives her second assignment from the CIA, she knows it will go better than her first. She managed to survive the Paris job-while looking her best in Givenchy, no less-but now she's completed her official CIA traini...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

Tim
Possibly the worst conceived and executed book I have ever read.

If my last name were Bouvier, or Kennedy, I would sue the authors.
Paula  Phillips
Who is like me and loves a little injection of chick lit and mystery now again ? What's even cooler is the fact that it is inspired by a true tale ? Maxine Kenneth brings to us Book #2 in the Spy in a LBD series starring the wonderful Jackie "O" - the now Mrs Kennedy. However before she become Jackie Kennedy , she was Miss Jacqueline Bouvair , a new recruit for the newly formed CIA or so the story tells . This book is inspired by a true story which was discovered in the form of a letter from Jac...more
Lindsay Heller
This is the sequel to 'Paris to Die For', an amusing "What If?" book about Jackie Bouvier, before she was Jackie Kennedy, as agent of the newly formed Central Intelligence Agency. In the first book Jackie met with a potential Russian defector, flirted with a French photographer, became ensconced in the plight of an exiled princess, and made a date with an up and coming congressman from Massachusetts. In the sequel we are in for more of the same.

Jacequline Lee Bouvier has just returned to her st...more
Kim Justice
Oct 18, 2012 Kim Justice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: reviewed
My Review:
I completely loved this book. First, my daughter would tell you that I am not a history buff. But this book was so fun to read and to fantasize about how things might have turned out had Jackie did some of the things within these pages of this book. I can remember reading things about her while I was growing up, such a beautiful lady who was the model for every woman in America. So to read a book like this was so awesome!

There is mystery, suspense, fun, love, what if's and much much m...more
Madonna
Spy in a Little Black Dress was fun to read. I never would have thought of Jackie as a spy for the CIA. She always seemed just too refined to be in those situations. But I guess that was the whole idea...to surprise the reader with the complete story. I have always been a fan of detective and spy stories. I loved that the treasure hunt was thrown in too.

I was married the same year President Kennedy was assassinated. My husband was in Germany in the Army when Jack Kennedy gave his "I am a Berlin...more
Read Ng
This was a GoodReads giveaway.

Sorry to report that this particular copy had a printer's issue with pages 264 and 273. Both of these pages were barely legible with about 20 % totally illegible. Just needed to do some creative guessing. If I had purchased it, I would be asking for a replacement.

I had not previously read the first book in the series. I am very interested so I will be running out to find a copy. As I expected with an historical slant, the story likes to weave in historic events and...more
Skye
Spy in a Little Black Dress, Maxine Kenneth (Grand Central Publishing, 340 pages, 2012, $14.99) This is a GoodReads First Read book.

A very clever little book! A female Indiana Jones!

First of all, Spy in a Little Black Dress was co-authored by Maxine Schnall and Kenneth Salikof (combining their names into Maxine Kenneth!). And that is just the first of “oodles of ‘clevernesses’” in Spy.

Did you know that Jackie Kennedy was a CIA agent before her marriage? If you can believe that, you will love thi...more
Wal.li
Grow a Beard
Die Ausbildung geht weiter. Die 22jährige Jackie Bouvier zeigt, dass die Schulungen nicht umsonst waren. Mehrfach entwischt sie ihren Verfolgern und dabei gelangt sie eher durch Zufall an eine Schatzkarte. Das ist aber garnichts gegen die Bekanntschaft mit dem Congress-Abgeordneten Jack Kennedy, dem sie sich nähert. Gäbe es die Karte nicht, die sie nach Cuba führt in die Arme des Revolutionärs Emiliano, würde sie Kennedy umgarnen. Doch das cubanische Abenteuer hat es in sich. Schon a...more
Casee Marie
My full review on Literary Inklings

The story weaves history with fiction in a way that feels completely new, taking liberties as a necessity to explore the many scenarios Jackie could have found herself in. The reader is pulled deeply into the era with the appearances of artistic icons and the plethora of pop culture references that reflect life in the ‘50s. Even the historical timeline plays a central role in eliciting humor and engagement from the reader, as we see nuggets of thoughts from Jac...more
Sandy Appleyard
Spy in a Little Black Dress is the story of Jacqueline Bouvier, or Jacqueline Kennedy, as we all are familiar with; before she was a Kennedy. This novel touches on her life as a CIA agent working under cover in Havana, Cuba. It is riveting, heartbreaking and historical in the sense that some of the story line is factual.

Reading about Jacqueline’s budding romance with Emiliano was excellent. The character development was nicely done and the reader could slowly follow along as Emiliano transformed...more
Denise Fleischer
$14.99/US
Oct. 2, 2013
Trade paperback
Fiction

The writing team of Maxine Schnall and Kenneth Salikof (Maxine Kenneth) penned a second Jacqueline Bouvier novel. “Paris to Die For” introduced a fictional twist about a beloved First Lady being a spy for the CIA.

You gotta love someone not afraid to create a whole new side of a highly respected American icon. Even though you have to suspend your belief for this nove...more
Polly Castor
This book was a pleasant surprise. I found it on the library’s new book shelf, and didn’t expect to like it as well as I did.

It is the second in a series and you may wish to begin with the first, titled Paris to Die For, which turns out to be well liked too. I’ll probably get around to reading the first one also, but I didn’t feel handicapped reading this one without having already read the previous one.

Apparently there are some letters actually linking Jacqueline Kennedy to a job at the CIA, a...more
Ricki Mandeville
This book came along just in time to save me from starvation, as, after devouring the first book (Paris to Die For) in this series, I found myself hungry for further intrigue and adventure with the clever and resourceful Jaqueline Bouvier. This second book is the perfect summer – or anytime – read; it engaged me from the first page, courtesy of scenes and characters so vivid, I felt as though I were seeing the book as a movie (yes, please) even as I read. I like a fast moving book with romance,...more
Meredith
It was fun fluff. There were two plots that start out as completely separate - hidden treasure and Fidel Casto, and yet somehow they end up coming together. There's a sweet, almost innocent, romance between Jackie and her Cuban contact. And there's clothes, definitely clothes.

The one thing that did bother me was Jackie's CIA cover being a reporter. One of the no-no in international relations is having journalists not only cover the news but acting on behalf of their government. It's why we end u...more
Tima
Jackie is on the run in yet another country. She works for the CIA and often this means her life is in danger. Her boss sent her to Cuba to see if a new upstart, Fidel Castro, is going to be a detriment to the USA. But once there she is involved in solving a treasure map and rescuing a new friend.

The cast of famous characters is endless. The plot is twisted and exciting. The premise for this book was not something I'd imagined, but it was easy to believe. It was a lot of fun to follow the autho...more
Betty
I truly appreciate receiving this complimentary copy of Spy in a Little Black Dress from Goodreads First Reads. What an entertaining tale about the world of the CIA! Jackie Bouvier, a novice CIA agent, often finds herself jumping from the frying pan into the fire. I thoroughly enjoyed the roller coaster ride with Jackie in this James Bond-type read as she hobnobs with well-known political figures and celebrities in the entertainment realm. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wan...more
Rebecca Hughes
If you enjoy historical fiction you will love this book. It was a good book and really engages the reader. It is about Jackie Kennedy being a spy for the CIA before she was married. Maxine Kenneth did a great job with this book. I did not read the first of this series so not sure how much I missed in the first book called Paris to Die For so I intend to read it as well. I won a copy of this book in the Goodreads giveaway.
Emily
I have always been interested in learning about Jackie Kennedy so I was really happy when I won this book from the goodreads giveaway. I liked it so much, it was a fun read, did not take me long at all to finished since once I started reading it I did not finish until the end of the book. Now I want to read Paris to Die For, if you enjoy historical fiction and mystery books then I would really suggest you read this.
Ilona Mustafin
I am always excited to start reading a new smart action story and I was thrilled after I finished the first chapter of this book! I especially enjoyed how fast paced and smart the story is. Her trip to Cuba is intriguing. I stayed a little past my usual bedtime because I was engrossed with Jackie's exciting life.
Amber
I received this book for free from the goodreads firstreads giveaway. I loved this book, the idea of Jackie as a CIA operative is unusual and at the same time completely believable. I would recommend this book to fans of spy novels of all kinds.
Brittany
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads.

Okay, not the best, but not the worst book. Bit of chick-lit spy but doesn't give you that edge of your seat suspense or can't put this book down yet.
Joyce Mosby
This was a fun read. I enjoyed my "trip" to Cuba with Jackie Bouvier(aka Jackie Kennedy) I especially liked her encounter with the crocodiles. She made a fun spy. Maxine Kenneth came up with a great plot line.
C
It had no suspense, no "I cant put this down till I make sure she is safe" feeling. It felt as if it was trying to be Historical fiction but did not quite cut it.
Sherry
it was different than I am use to reading but I finished it. I enjoyed the twist and turns of the spy Jackie. the other characters were interesting too.
NVTony
Using former first lady as main character gave this one some extra zip. Clever use of plot line & expansion of characters was a plus.
Lulu
Cute, clever, and a fun, fast read.
Kristen
Another great "Jackie" read.
Hannah Banana
Hannah Banana marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Minda
Minda is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
  • Prepare
  • First Love, Last Dance
  • You Tell Your Dog First
  • The Time of Women
  • The Viper
  • A House Near Luccoli
  • Priceless (Kick Keswick, #2)
  • The Tree of Everlasting Knowledge
  • Good Intentions
  • The Twenty-Year Death (Hard Case Crime #108)
  • Tiger's Claw (Patrick McLanahan, #18)
  • How To Raise A Good Kid
  • The Necropolis Railway (Jim Stringer, #1)
  • Lazarus is Dead