Start by marking “Kingdom of the Wicked (Skulduggery Pleasant, #7)” as Want to Read:
Kingdom of the Wicked (Skulduggery Pleasant, #7)

Kingdom of the Wicked (Skulduggery Pleasant #7)

4.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,564 Ratings  ·  414 Reviews
The seventh installment in the biggest, funniest, most thrilling comedy-horror-adventure series in the universe - and the follow-up to 2011’s number-one bestseller, Death Bringer…

Magic is a disease.

Published August 30th 2012 by HarperCollins Children’s Books

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom of the Wicked, please sign up.

Toni they havent puplished the 9th book yet in my country but I bought it in the internet a year ago... its worth it believe me
Kingdom of the Wicked by Derek LandyDeath Bringer by Derek LandyDark Days by Derek LandyThe Faceless Ones by Derek LandyMortal Coil by Derek Landy
Skulduggery Pleasant
1st out of 23 books — 37 voters
The Elephant Tree by R.D. RonaldThe Zombie Room by R.D. RonaldThe Secret Magdalene by Ki LongfellowHoudini Heart by Ki LongfellowFlow Down Like Silver by Ki Longfellow
Books You Wish More People Knew About
198th out of 15,042 books — 14,363 voters

More lists with this book...

Helen
Feb 21, 2013 Helen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: To anyone who loves the Skulduggery Pleasant Series and Sci-Fi. Trust me: you’ll be in heaven.
Since the beginning of summer, I’ve waited for this book.
And waited... And waited some more...
The Australians and New Zealanders got it first. A month before anyone else. I was furious beyond explanation.
I waited...
It was released early on Kindle. I can’t read a Kindle (for some strange reason, my eyes get sore).
I waited...
The day before the offical release, I was in the bookstore and right in front of me; a guy held KOTW in his hands. And when I went to the desk, asking was my order
Kribu
ETA: Second read finished, just in time for book eight next week. It's still pretty damn powerful, and I think I noticed more details this time around - details that should very likely be relevant for Last Stand of Dead Men.

I'm not ready for LSODM. I'm really not. But at the same time, I can't wait. (Knowing that there will be one more book after LSODM, I'm relatively sure some people will have to survive. Probably.)

---
Original comments from 1 August 2012:
---

Just finished, and...

A more coherent
Temi Panayotova
Apr 24, 2016 Temi Panayotova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Как неееее...защооо?!?! Тая поредица ми бърка дълбоко в душата...
Stopped
Jan 14, 2014 Stopped rated it did not like it
I picked up this book a few weeks ago, remembering how the first instalment of the series had entertained me when I was thirteen. Sadly, all the appeal has faded now I'm older and, truthfully, I can't think of anyone I would recommend the series to.

Firstly, the novel is hard to place. The style and writing is clearly written for children while the content contains so much gratuitous violence and murder it hurts. I'm not sure who Landy is writing for, but it seems odd to construct a novel so obv
Lucie
CO TO BYLO PROBOHA ZA KONEC?? Ta mrňavá, hnusná...
Booknut
Our favourite Skeleton Detective is back, with his not-so-sidekick-sidekick Valkyrie Cain - but not for a holiday or casual investigations. Everyday mortals are starting to have paranormal powers; fat butterfly men being the prime example.

But this isn't the only problem. Old friends return to backstab, ex's become fond of muffins, Grand Mage's don't bother to read the manuals, headless zombies search for new bodies, true names are found and enemies believed dead make reappearances. Why can't th
Ela
Nov 29, 2012 Ela rated it it was amazing
Wow. She just...and the...with that...Wow.

Derek Landy has outdone himself yet again. I don't think I've ever read a series that has matured and grown so quickly as the books continued. In this book he managed to maintain the hilarity and the fantastic characters, as well as adding a load of great new aspects. At one point we were in a parallel world, at first I thought 'meh, I guess this is quite cool' then it was all I could do to stop myself from running down the street shrieking, 'THIS IS AMA
Kimberley doruyter
Jul 07, 2015 Kimberley doruyter rated it really liked it
a little long but still so good.
i love how derek landy still gets some comedy inbetween the serious stuff.
Amelie
Apr 04, 2015 Amelie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
Nein, tut mir leid, ich muss da jetzt einen Stern abziehen. Auch wenn es mich innerlich fast zerreißt, aber das ganze Buch zerreißt mich innerlich. Ich bin sicher, das wird sich auch in den beiden Büchern, die da noch kommen werden, nicht ändern.

Warum das Buch gut ist, das habe ich, denke ich, schon oft genug erwähnt: Die genialen Protas, die awesome Magie, die detailreichen Gegenspieler und Nebencharaktere und die unerwarteten Blow-your-Mind Wenden. All das hatte auch Duell der Dimensionen und
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
3.5

Oh my gods, the ending of this book...

It's one of those epilogues which is really a hook for the next book and this tactic sort of annoys me a lot of the time but I've been waiting for this particular hook to take shape for ages, and now I'm all wriggling for the next damn book!

Ugh!

Only two more to go in the series, if Landy sticks to the plan. And, to be honest, as much as I do enjoy the books, generally, I'm glad that there is an end in sight because I don't know how much longer the formul
Kayenta
Sep 04, 2012 Kayenta rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Crazyjamie
Sep 20, 2012 Crazyjamie rated it it was amazing
I'll be honest. After the last Skulduggery Pleasant Book (Death Bringer) I was genuinely concerned that Landy had run out of ideas for this series. I actually said as much in my review on here. Because whilst Landy can clearly knock out sharp and witty dialogue until the cows come home, to be perfectly blunt the plot in the last book generally was below par for the series as a whole.

Fortunately, Kingdom of the Wicked is not just a return to form, for me it is the best book in the series. I actu
Emma
Aug 31, 2012 Emma rated it it was ok
Judy
Oct 21, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it
I love the particular Irish humour of Derek Landy's books. I don't read a huge amount of Children's books but every now and then one of my favourites comes out and I have to keep up with the story to see what the characters are up to.

I didn't really enjoy the last Skulduggery book and thought I might not bother with this one, but it was back on form and much more exciting than the last.

Valkyrie and Skulduggery are on the hunt for a pacifist sorcerer who has decided to 'gift' magic to mortals. Un
Sheetal
Sep 05, 2012 Sheetal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The seventh instalment in the biggest, funniest, most thrilling comedy-horror-adventure series in the universe - and the follow-up to 2011’s number-one bestseller, Death Bringer…

Magic is a disease.

Across the land, normal people are suddenly developing wild and unstable powers. Infected by a rare strain of magic, they are unwittingly endangering their own lives and the lives of the people around them. Terrified and confused, their only hope lies with the Sanctuary. Skulduggery Pleasant and Valkyr
Miriam Joy
Aaaah! Several of my hunches confirmed in an even more brutal fashion than I suspected. Seriously. This one is VIOLENT. Val, have you thought about therapy? Anger management? Maybe Skulduggery and Valkyrie should take up meditation or yoga. Or smoking weed. I've heard that can help.
Hadlai
Jun 08, 2015 Hadlai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything that could possibly go wrong seemed to go wrong, which, story-wise, is great, but I think I said "Craaaaaap," out loud at least 3 times last night.
I've been waiting for it to happen since Book 1 but this is the book that made me absolutely adore Ghastly Bespoke. In future books, I'd rather he didn't end up getting split in half.
I really loved the whole discourse on pacificism. It was nice not having a main character suffer inner turmoil for 20 chapters over killing the bad guy for on
Isabelle
NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY

This is now my favourite book in the series so far

SO MANY THINGS HAPPEN. SO MANY THINGS I AM NOT ALLOWED TO SAY.

There are also many gross, disgusting bits in this book.

OVERALL............ AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see how the last two books will play out.

Well only two years left to find out =) =) =) =)
Nicole Foster
Jul 30, 2012 Nicole Foster rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I just finished this book (9:55pm EST 30/07/12) and the only thing running through my head was OH MY GOD. I was twitching so much from reading this book because of all the cliff-hangers', action scenes and all the laugh's i had.
Derek Landy has out done himself on this one.... Can't wait for the next.
Miss Abernathy
Apr 20, 2016 Miss Abernathy rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-have
«¿Qué te he enseñado sobre las peleas?
Nunca juegues según las reglas que ponga tu contrincante.»

3.5 para ser más exactos.

En esta séptima entrega el antagonista es pacifista. Derek Landy ha vuelto a hacer de las suyas y ni siquiera nos hemos dado cuenta.
Danielle
Becky
Sep 17, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
It's Skulduggery Pleasant!!!!! *Runs around excitedly clutching book* This is one of my all time favourite series and I always look forward to the release of the next installment, counting down the days until I can get it. I've met Derek Landy twice and he is so nice and genuine in real life and just as funny as his books make him seem, unfortunately he didn't come close enough to me on this tour for me to meet him again but the book was released the day after my birthday so my best friend bough ...more
Catherine
Aug 19, 2012 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
This was an amazing book! I was totally hooked, couldn't put it down, laughed at the funny/sarcastic parts, grimaced at the disgusting pulling apart of people, etc, and thoroughly enjoyed the pace of the story (which was fast, by the way). So I was going to give this book 5 stars!
THEN I read the last chapter where Mr Landy sets things up for the next book, and things begin going wrong for the heroes - again! And I groaned and said (yes, out loud!) Oh No! AND THEN I read the epilogue and got real
Orlaith
Jan 26, 2013 Orlaith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this instalment, ordinary people are becoming infected with magic with dire results. For most people it causes an understandable amount of fear (and a little madness), but for Kitana and her gang, magic is just the thing to tip them from hateful teenagers into psychotic killers. It's up to Valkyrie and Skulduggery to find out where this magic is coming from and stop it before the whole world is infected.

I'm a big fan of the Skulduggery series, but I struggled a little with this one at first.
Daniel
Nov 11, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. I made myself slow down and enjoy the book, instead of reading it all at one time.
As always Landy is able to mix dark humor into the young adult genre so well. The flow of the novel was great it keep me interested the whole time with no lulls in the story it went from surprise to action and back again keeping the story from getting tiring.
What can I say about the characters? Hilarious as always. There is never a gull moment with them. The dialogue is fantastic
(“You have no idea
Lizzy
Nov 05, 2012 Lizzy rated it really liked it
Rachel
Oct 02, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh my god, this is one of the best books I've ever read. I love this series so much. Each book just keeps getting better and better. This is definitely my favourite so far in the series.
I can't even put into words how much I love Skulduggery. He's one of the most unique and fantastic fictional characters ever. He's hilarious, caring, sweet, complimentary and amazing. He cares so much about Valkyrie and would literally do absolutely anything to save her. He would give up his life for her. Their r
Joe Gibson
Sep 06, 2012 Joe Gibson rated it it was amazing
What a book is all I can say and a purely amazing follow up to Death Bringer!

Firstly it was nice after its very dark previous novels Death Bringer and Mortal coil to be brought back to a brighter but still awesome Skulduggery book! From the moment I opened the book I was hooked, which is something I've come to get use to when reading this series and from then on wards the rollercoaster ride was one of the best of the series so far! I found it weird really how I'd been really fascinated by parall
Miss Quixotic
Aug 05, 2012 Miss Quixotic rated it it was amazing
Kingdom of the Wicked is something quite special in that it manages to be exactly what you would expect from a Skulduggery Pleasant novel, without a single page coming across as stale or predictable. As the seventh book of the series (an impressive achievement in itself), the story progresses well from the earlier instalments, while still making a mark on the YA novel scene in its own right.

The main characters – Valkyrie and Skulduggery – are as brilliant as always; witty, lovable and just gene
sage
Aug 20, 2013 sage rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, ya, sff, horror, fiction
Madison Mega-Mara...: #136 The Kingdom of the Wicked by Derek Landy 1 1 Oct 31, 2015 05:57PM
Would you be an Adept, Elementalist or a Necromancer? 9 33 Dec 20, 2014 01:08AM
finding skulduggery pleasent books 4 15 Nov 20, 2014 03:29PM
Skulduggery Pleasant: How do I get Book 7 and 8? 23 22 Apr 09, 2014 04:31AM
Skulduggery Pleasant: Skulduggery Pleasant Book 7 58 76 Jun 04, 2013 01:54PM
China?! Were have you gone?! -_- 21 48 Mar 04, 2013 05:33PM
THe Skulduggery Pleasant group 1 29 Dec 28, 2012 05:47AM
  • The Eternal Tomb (Oliver Nocturne, #5)
  • Rise of the Guardians Movie Novelization
  • Escape Velocity (H.I.V.E., #3)
  • The Dream Thief: An Extraordinary Horatio Lyle Mystery
  • Doomsday (The Phoenix files, #6)
  • Battle Lines (Department 19, #3)
  • The Fire Chronicle (The Books of Beginning, #2)
  • Gates of Rome (TimeRiders, #5)
  • Rebel (Faery Rebels, #2)
  • Wanderer. Sand der Zeit (Wanderer #1)
  • The Thirteenth (The Thirteenth, #1)
  • The Dragonlord's Heir (The Ascalon Trilogy, #1)
  • Glasgow RAIN: Küsse im Regen
  • The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co., #2)
  • Oblivion (The Gatekeepers, #5)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Night of Skulls (Sammy Keyes, #14)
Derek Landy is an Irish writer and screenwriter. In addition to the bestselling children's/YA series of Skulduggery Pleasant books, a supernatural mystery series starring Skulduggery Pleasant, a skeleton detective, and Valkyrie Cain, a young female magician, he has written two screenplays that have been made into films: the IFTA award winning "Dead Bodies" and the IFTA nominated "Boy Eats Girl". L ...more
More about Derek Landy...

Skulduggery Pleasant (10 books)
  • Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1)
  • Playing with Fire (Skulduggery Pleasant, #2)
  • The Faceless Ones (Skulduggery Pleasant, #3)
  • Dark Days (Skulduggery Pleasant, # 4)
  • Mortal Coil (Skulduggery Pleasant, #5)
  • Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant, #6)
  • Last Stand of Dead Men (Skulduggery Pleasant, #8)
  • The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant, #9)
  • Untitled (Skulduggery Pleasant, #10)

“I had an uneventful few days," it told her. "The most exciting thing was an hour-long lecture from the headmaster on taking our studies seriously. He said next year's exam will arrive sooner than we think."
"No, they won't," Valkyrie said, frowning. "They'll arrive next year, exactly when we expect them."
"That's what I told him," the reflection nodded. "I don't think he's comfortable with logic, because he didn't look happy. He sent me to the Career Guidance counsellor, who asked me what I wanted to do after college."
Valkyrie stowed her black clothes. "What did you say?"
"I told her I wanted to be a Career Guidance counsellor. She started crying, then accused me of mocking her. I told her if she wasn't happy in her job then she should look at other options, then pointed out that I was already doing her job better than she was. She gave me detention.”
108 likes
“Emergency Valve Regulators," she repeated. "So you do know what your doing?
"Not really," he said yanking another wire. 'I made up that term to keep you happy. I'm just pulling all the red wires because they're the pretty ones.”
102 likes