Start by marking “Cinder (Cròniques lunars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cinder (Cròniques lunars, #1)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  419,483 Ratings  ·  38,878 Reviews
A Nova Pequín hi ha una plaga mortal que està devastant la ciutat. Humans i androides es llancen als carrers mentre un equip de lunars implacable els observa des de l'espai, esperant per moure fitxa. Ningú no sap que el futur de la Terra depèn d'una noia, una de sola...La Cinder és una mecànica extraordinària i també una ciborg que carrega un passat misteriós. Com una mode ...more
Published March 22nd 2012 by Estrella Polar (first published January 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cinder, please sign up.

Kristi I think it depends on your individual child's maturity. I just read these as a 30 something and would not recommend it for a 9 year old. The…moreI think it depends on your individual child's maturity. I just read these as a 30 something and would not recommend it for a 9 year old. The descriptions of the disease, the war themes, and the political themes would seem advanced for that age to me. I'd wait till 13 or so. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lauren
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Steph Sinclair
Why?

WHY DIDN'T I READ THIS BOOK SOONER?!

It was so AWESOME!

MY EMOTIONS!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Let me go ahead and get this out of the way. I loved this book. Why in the world did I procrastinate with reading it? I've had Cinder sitting on my Kindle for a few months now and I continued to put it off over and over again. What a HUGE mistake! I even had the nerve to go into my local bookstore twice, pick Cinder up, and put it right back down. But all that doesn't really matter now because I've remedied the problem and
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
wow. wow. WOW.

I went into this book not expecting to like it. I'm not sure why, but this book completely surprised me!
Emily May
“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”

In this, my third attempt to read Cinder, I finally made it to the end. But I find myself wishing I hadn't bothered. Going into this book, I thought it was fair to expect a light, probably unremarkable, but ultimately entertaining read. I did not come to this book wanting my mind to be blown with science or to be taken to another world by beautiful prose, but I also did not expect it to b
Tatiana
Nov 01, 2011 Tatiana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, sci-fi, fairy-tales, 2011
As seen on The Readventurer

Let me first give credit where credit is due. A cyborg Cinderella? Wow! It's a bold premise. I applaud Marissa Meyer for thinking this up.

In this re-envisioning of the fairy tale, Lihn Cinder is a cyborg, meaning, she is almost half mechanical - she has prosthetic hands and a foot, a big chunk of her internal organs are wired into her body. Cinder is a mechanic in New Beijing, the capital of the Eastern Commonwealth, a country ravaged by plague outbreaks. One day, the
Khanh (the Grinch)
I guess I'm on a year-end quest to be the last person to read popular series. Last week: Hunger Games. This week: Cinder.

Or not. I hated it. No binging this series, sorry, dear friends. You may think it's harsh that I give this book one star when there was nothing offensive about it, but considering the hype, I expected far, far more than that we were given.

Before reading the book, I knew why it came highly recommended to me; in theory, this book should have been awesome. An Asian protagonist (E
Kassidy
Jul 21, 2012 Kassidy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*4.5*This was amazing!! Why didn't anyone tell me to read it sooner?! Just kidding..
The world and characters are so great, I can't wait to continue on in the series.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Katerina
Jan 28, 2015 Katerina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dystopia
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Once Upon a Time,there was an avid reader (let's call her K) who thought she was very clever but she couldn't be more wrong.You see,she'd heard about a futuristic version of Cinderella in which Cinder is a cyborg mechanic that everyone seemed to love but she refused to read it,because she was skeptical and a little prejudiced.One day she read the first page but when she came to the part where Cinder takes off her foot she said "Ok I
Navessa

CAN'T REVIEW.

NEED THE NEXT ONE NOW.

THIS IS ALL I'VE EVER WANTED IN A RETELLING.

Flannery
positives and negatives from Cinder

*I know this sounds ridiculous. The whole point of the book is to create a futuristic cyborg Cinderella, right? Meyer is a wonderful writer. Her writing is engrossing and I was engaged throughout the entire book. But it really takes a certain amount of the fun out of a story when a reader already knows a lot of where the story is going. Cyborgs are relatively novel in the YA world. Books set in Asia are relatively novel in the YA world. I still really enjoyed the book the way it was but I think
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Let’s talk about fairy tales.

I was raised on them and I love them. My favorite collection was a hardback with Arthur Rackham illustrations . . . It was not-your-ordinary book of fairy tales. It had translations of the original German versions of the stories I’d been listening to for years, but were so not the same.

There were also new stories I’d never heard before, like The Seven Ravens.

I haven’t read it in years, but basically it’s about a girl whose evil step
Jeff
Jan 18, 2016 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well call me surprised. Shocker of the century! I actually loved this book. I could not put it down. I was scared starting it due to what I thought would be inevitable romance but it was pretty minor in this one. But OH MAN did I wanna throw Adri to the wolves. What a terrible human. She got my blood boiling so friggin much. Also, cyborgs? Mind control? Moon people? Get outta here obviously I'm gonna like this book. All seriousness it is just well written. Cinder is a great character and you fin ...more
Kat Kennedy
You know when people keep talking about a book. Lah, this is fantastic! OMG, you have to read this! If you don’t read this I’ll shank you and play hackeysack with your kidneys!

The usual…

This is one of those books. I was cruelly declined on netgalley so had mostly buried it in my TBR pile and forgotten about it until people started terrorizing me with demands to read it.

Oh am I so bloody happy I did! I loved this book! I stayed up most of the night to read it! It wasn’t perfect, of course. There
Anne
Cinderella with cyborgs!

description

So I'm pretty late to be jumping on the bandwagon, but this was really good! I know I normally gobble up any retelling, but when this first came out, there were so many iffy reviews that I gave it a pass.
Stupid.
I should have checked it out for myself.

So you have a pretty faithfulish retelling going on here. Of course, since it's sci-fi Cinderella, there are going to be some substitutions to the carriage and glass slipper.
But they were really cool substitutions!
◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
Review after re-re-reading from Feb 27th to March 1st 2013:

Read it again for the third time! What can I say, I just love this book. So much that I want to marry it. Seriously. I love Cinder. And Iko. And Kai. And I really want to bitch slap Adri and Queen Levana. I swear, every time I read this book, they seem to get bitchier and bitchier.

I am now ready to start Scarlet! OHMAGERD I'M SO EFFIN' EXCITED XD.

Review after re-reading from Oct 3rd to 4th 2012:

Oh my stars. I didn't think it was possible
Brandi
Jan 28, 2012 Brandi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terrible
Super heavy sigh 1.5 stars is more of what I felt for this (actually as time passes I dislike this more and more).

There might be some spoiler-ish information through here, so don't read the tags if you don't want to know, but I will do my best to not spoil it outside of the tags.

I'm in the minority when it comes to the lack of adoration towards this book, and I just don't get it. There were so many things that annoyed me that I couldn't really focus on the story.

Cinder is a cyborg version of Ci
Christine Riccio
Mar 14, 2014 Christine Riccio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed Cinder! It's more of a 4.35 stars in my book! Not 5 because I DIDN'T HEAD OVER HEELS LOVE IT, but i'm super excited as to where this series is going, I have a full booktallk/discussion here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9x3...
Sana  Khalid °¤°
Somewhere between 3 1/2 to 4 stars. (I'll probably edit this review later)

Aside from the fact that this was really predictable and not much of a shocker (probably because I read a spoiler, but I'm pretty sure even if I didn't read the spoiler I would have guessed it), this was an enjoyable read.

Some things I liked:
~Kai and Cinder's romance. So cute I can't even. <3
~A cool-ass Cyborg girl.
~It was fast-paced for me. It was a really quick read.
~Prince Kai. He was so damn sweet and cute. ;)
~ (vi
Maddie
Oct 08, 2016 Maddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, na, pnr, favorite, cover-love

“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

This book is like eating chocolate and treasuring each page, you are transported into a fantasy world, you want to dance sing, recommend it and so much more.

description

Maybe it will not be for everyone – but alas I am not everyone, and love reading YA books, I love Cinderella feeling you get when reading a book, and feeling like a kid again, so maybe I am still a kid at heart, but anything that takes me away for day to day misery is a winner i
Juliana Zapata
Oct 26, 2015 Juliana Zapata rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Este era uno de esos libros que empiezas con grandes expectativas y que al final eso juega en tu contra. Tengo que reconocer que la portada y la edición son hermosas y estan muy bien acabadas, pero si me voy a la historia, siento que es bastante floja y que me quedó debiendo.

El inicio del libro fue bastante lento, siento que la autora se lió un poco para explicar el mundo que había creado, ya que estaba muy perdida y tardé bastante para meterme en la historia. Pero luego de hacer el esfuerzo par
Aya Hamza
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

This is my favorite Cinderella retelling so far. I didn't expect to like this book that much! This book was addictive and I just put my other books aside and kept reading till I finished it. I love Sci-Fi and I need to read more of it.
If you haven't read it yet, GO. READ. THE. BOOK.

Plot:
Humans are living with androids in New Beijing. Plague is threatening the population and there is no anti-dote for it!

And Cinder, our MC, a cyborg
Candace
I've had this book on my radar for a long time now. With all the rave reviews and hype surrounding this book, I had psyched myself out for a spectacular read. Unfortunately, I also set myself up for disappointment. I liked the story, but definitely didn't fall in love with it like so many of my friends did.

A futuristic Cinderella story, 'Cinder' tells the story of a young cyborg mechanic. Cinder is forced to forfeit all of her earnings to her guardian, the woman that adopted her begrudgingly yea
Riley
Jul 07, 2014 Riley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this so much more the second time around.

November 2015: 5 Stars
July 2014: 4 Stars
Amber Robertson
Feb 25, 2017 Amber Robertson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-re-reads
RE-READ

“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Cinder and the rest of the books in The Lunar Chronicles are some of my favourite books. I am a lover of fairytales and retellings so a mix of the two is the perfect combination for me. Cinder isn't a let down, even in this re-read. I would usually provide a link here to my first review, but sadly there is no first review. I read this as I was just getting into reviewing books, starting uni, moving and the whole Goodreads thin
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Psst! Cinder is only £1.99 right now for Amazon UK Kindle!!

This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

When I picked up Cinder by Marissa Meyer I did not expect to discover my favourite book of the year.

For the longest time, I had been staying away from YA series because the times I gave them a shot I walked away disappointed. Twilight? A hot mess. Divergent? First book was decent, but the rest fell apart. Eragon? Somebody get that boy an editor. Maze Runner? Just no. Apart from
Darth J

I’ll admit that I’ve never been a fan of the Cinderella story; I mean are audiences really expected to believe that a prince wouldn’t remember a face and would go door to door with a shoe to identify a woman? It just didn’t seem plausible, even as a fairy tale. So that coupled with all the fangirling and hype over this series gave me low expectations going in. As you can see from the 4 stars I gave this, I actually enjoyed a lot of it.

Here we have a cyborg mechanic named Cinder (view spoiler)
Maria V. Snyder
Aug 07, 2016 Maria V. Snyder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I avoided this book because of the whole Cinderella thing and my reluctance to read fairy tale retellings, but my daughter gave it to me and said I had to read it. I'm very glad she did! I'm hooked.
Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things
Mkay, I'm hooked.

I actually started this book about a year ago and sat it aside after a trying an failing to get through the first half. It seemed a bit juvenile to start (I know, its YA, but it just felt very tween to begin with)... and it looked like it was headed down the insta-love path of book destruction and a cheesy villain to match.

I was wrong.

No it isn't the most intense book I've read- but it really picks up after the half way mark. I actually did not guess Cinder's secret- because I
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.”

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to p
April (Aprilius Maximus)
First read - 11th January 2014
Reread - 12th November 2015

• Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • Sweetly (Fairytale Retellings, #2)
  • Spark (Sky Chasers, #2)
  • For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
  • Princess of the Silver Woods (Princess, #3)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • The Lost Girl
  • Partials (Partials Sequence, #1)
  • Fire (Graceling Realm, #2)
  • Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1)
  • A Long, Long Sleep
  • Of Beast and Beauty
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Croak (Croak, #1)
  • Breathe (Breathe, #1)
  • A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

More about Marissa Meyer...

The Lunar Chronicles (4 books)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4)

45 trivia questions
10 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Even in the Future the Story Begins with Once Upon a Time.” 2555 likes
“I don't know. I don't actually remember anything from before the surgery."

His eyebrows rose, his blue eyes sucking in all the light of the room. "The cybernetic opetation?"

"No, the sex change."

The doctor's smile faltered.

"I'm joking.”