3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Based on interviews with Stan Lee and dozens of his colleagues and contemporaries, as well as extensive archival research, this book provides a professional history, an appreciation, and a critical exploration of the face of Marvel Comics.
Published September 1st 2003 by Chicago Review Press (first published 2003)

Howard
Biography of Stan Lee, and through him, the history of, primarily, superhero comics; evenhanded and readable, despite a (possibly unavoidable) fannish, tempest-in-a-teapot, feel.

In 1940, 18-year-old Stanley Lieber, smart, ambitious and raised in poverty, went to work at cousin Martin Goodman's Timely Publishing (later, Marvel). Goodman had moderate success imitating the pulps and comics of market leaders, and Lieber, now Stan Lee, was soon running the comics division. An accomplished and well-li...more
Michael
I'm giving up on this book.

Maybe it's because I've just recently read two rather excellent biographies ("Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson and "Walt Disney" by Neal Gabler), but this bio of Stan Lee doesn't stand in the same league. It's not as well organized, it's not as well written, it's not as well researched, and worst of all it doesn't give me any insight into what has made Stan Lee so great.

I'm dropping out just getting into Lee's stint doing Marvel comics in the 60's, the work that made him...more
Monica Copeland
I'm not typically one for non-fiction, but I really enjoyed the balance of this biography. It would have been easy to fall on the side of Stan-love or Stan-hate, so it is impressive the authors chose to examine the issues and triumphs surrounding Lee's role as Marvel ringmaster. I guess it was refreshing to read a journalistic piece that wasn't giving a thinly veiled presentation of opinion...
Caleb
Probably the definitive (so far) story of one of the most important, influential and fascinating men in the history of American comics, a man who, for better or worse, pretty shaped the industry and, to some degree, the medium. Authors Raphael and Spurgeon treat their subject quite fairly, particularly considering how polarizing he has been and can be.
Kris
Ok - some interesting stuff here, but I was way more interested in the general comic book history than Stan Lee himself. I guess I should maybe try a different, less specific book then!
Alicia
Slightly repetitive, but interesting look at Lee's career and the history of Marvel and DC Comics.
Paul
Pretty interesting but a little dry
Roland
A decent history of Marvel comics.
Dee
Oct 15, 2011 Dee marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, unread
$2 at B&N
Aaron Dudziński
Aaron Dudziński marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Matthias
Matthias marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013