Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Het lied van liefde en dood van den Cornet Christoffel Rilke” as Want to Read:
Het lied van liefde en dood van den Cornet Christoffel Rilke
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Het lied van liefde en dood van den Cornet Christoffel Rilke

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A lyric story originally published in 1906.
34 pages
Published 1949 by A.A.M. Stols (first published 1906)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

Be the first to ask a question about Het lied van liefde en dood van den Cornet Christoffel Rilke

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 274)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Mohammad Ali
مهمترین نکته: دو ستاره را به این کتاب داده ام، نه اصل آن

نخست باید اعتراض کنم به چاپ بد کتاب. از نظر زیبایی چاپ، فاجعه است کتاب. فونت ها و چینش متن ها همه حکایت از بی سلیقگی دارند

در مرتبه ی بعد باید خدا رو شکر کنم که اصل آلمانی اثر هم در این کتاب آمده است. در صفحات سمت راست ترجمه ی فارسی و در صفحات سمت چپ اصل آلمانی و ترجمه ی انگلیسی آمده اند. ظاهرا هم ترجمه از روی انگلیسی است، هر چند عبداللهی آن را با آلمانی مقابله کرده. اشتباهات ظاهرا معدودی دارد - مثلا کلمه ای را در جایی اشتباه ترجمه کرده یا
...more
Cristina
Besides this epic poem, I must admit that I have'n read much from Rilke, just a few poems. I must say, that The Lay of the Love and Death of Cornet Christopher Rilke is indeed an incredible piece of writing (it is really short).
When I read something I really like to get the whole picture in my head, so I really...REALLY... like descriptive literature, but the image I got from this poem is is that of a dream-like-action.
I honesty could not make the difference between what was real and what was
...more
Jean-Paul
"Reiten, reiten, reiten durch den Tag, durch die Nacht, durch den Tag. Reiten, reiten, reiten. Und der Mut ist so müde geworden und die Sehnsucht so gross". Grippingly melancholy! It's well worth listening to the "Tondichtung" of Frank Martin after reading this epic poem. Martin's music and the singing capture the haunting mood of the poem in total awareness of all its rhythms and inflections - a must!
Laginestra
Strano testo, il Cornet. Frammenti poetici, fotografie antinarrative, accostate e ordinate, quasi a lasciare a noi lettori il dipanamento del filo che dal "cavalcare" iniziare conduce al triste "ridente gioco d'acqua". Già. Strano testo, il Cornet.
David
He was 19. I am amazed.
Robertisenberg
I've long desired to translate Rilke -- one of the greatest poets ever to write in German -- and luckily, many American editions are printed bilingually. When I found a copy of "Die Weise von Liebe und Tod" in the library for 50 cents, I figured I could translate (with dictionary on hand), and then cross-reference it with a definitive English version.

As it happens, this book is unusually easy to read. Rilke wrote it early on, and there is a narrative woven throughout, reading more like the tone-
...more
Lysergius
Die bis heute bestehende Faszination des >>Cornet<< geht von der lyrischen Sprache aus, den jurzen, staccatoartigen Saetze, der Mussikalitaet und dem Rhythmus, der Anschaulichkeit des Textes.
Websterdavid3
Poetic story of marching to war and death by the master poet.

I read it because it was top seller before and after WWI in Germany.
Not sure what to think
Harry Allagree
This is Rilke's "story of his ancestor's chilling demise on military duty in mysterious central Europe."
Christian Krüger
Eine schöne Sprache. In der vorliegenden Neuausgabe finden sich auch Illustrationen, die sowohl mit dem Text korrespondieren als auch eine Eigenständigkeit haben.
D.S. Mattison
Aug 18, 2008 D.S. Mattison rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of the dark and beautiful
Recommended to D.S. by: it recommended itself to me
Riding, riding, riding.......into the black blank space of war. If there ever was a Goth poem this is it: "His gloves lie on the floor. His flag stands steeply, leaned against the window-cross. It is black and slender. Outside a storm drives over the sky, making pieces of the night, white ones and black ones. The moonlight goes by like a long lightning-flash, and the unstirring flag has restless shadows. It dreams." Worth reading to moody storm like music.
Baxevanidou Faye
Βιβλίο που μπορεί να διαβαστεί και να ξαναδιαβαστεί καθώς περνάνε τα χρόνια. Η μετάβαση ενός νέου από παιδί σε άντρα και η αγάπη της γυναίκας, της μάνας, της ερωμένης. " Όχι μόνο να, είναι που γλίστρησε απτους ώμους του ο τρόπος των παιδιών - το απαλό τούτο σκούρο ρούχο." Το λάτρεψα. ...more
Robert Simmons
My first Rilke, to whom Gass directed me, and the influence on Gass is certainly apparent. Given the bold clarity of form and the flashes of montage-like poetic detail, Rilke seems even proto-Eisensteinian in this short piece.
Dana Kabel
Best epic poem ever, and my favorite Rilke work. I've read this book at least a dozen times over the years.
David Meijer
actually my family read it, parts i only listened
Stephanie Roberts
just beautiful, tender, powerful, beautiful
Stella Gaspar
Stella Gaspar marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Fiona
Fiona added it
Jun 25, 2015
Boenisch
Boenisch marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Michelle Zeng
Michelle Zeng marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Der Todesstoß (Die Chronik der Unsterblichen, #3)
  • The Life of an Amorous Woman and Other Writings
  • Poesia: Alberto Caeiro
  • Selections from the Carmina Burana: A New Verse Translation
  • Das Buch der Lieder
  • Minna von Barnhelm
  • Autumn Sonata: Selected Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • Heldenplatz
  • Isla Negra: A Notebook / A Bilingual Edition
  • Yalnızlık Paylaşılmaz
  • Soledades
  • Fredy Neptune
  • By Night Under the Stone Bridge
  • The Redress of Poetry
  • Lovci mamutů
  • Narrative Poems
  • Ezra Pound: Translations
7906
Rainer Maria Rilke is considered one of the German language's greatest 20th century poets.

His haunting images tend to focus on the difficulty of communion with the ineffable in an age of disbelief, solitude, and profound anxiety — themes that tend to position him as a transitional figure between the traditional and the modernist poets.

He wrote in both verse and a highly lyrical prose. His two mos
...more
More about Rainer Maria Rilke...
Letters to a Young Poet The Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke Duino Elegies The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God

Share This Book

“They grope before them like blind people and find each the other as they would a door. Almost like children that dread the night, they press close into each other. And yet they are not afraid. There is nothing that might be against them: no yesterday, no morrow; for time is shattered. And they flower from its ruins.
He does not ask: 'Your husband?'
She does not ask: 'Your name?'
For indeed they have found each other, to be unto themselves a new generation.
They will give each other a hundred new names and take them all off again, gently, as one takes an earring off.”
4 likes
“Reiten, reiten, reiten, durch den Tag,
durch die Nacht, durch den Tag.
Reiten, reiten, reiten. Und der Mut ist so müde geworden
und die Sehnsucht so groß. Es gibt keine Berge mehr,
kaum einen Baum. Nichts wagt aufzustehen.
Fremde Hütten hocken durstig an versumpften Brunnen.
Nirgends ein Turm. Und immer das gleiche Bild.
Man hat zwei Augen zuviel. Nur in der Nacht
manchmal glaubt man den Weg zu kennen.
Vielleicht kehren wir nächtens immer wieder
das Stück zurück, das wir in der fremden Sonne
mühsam gewonnen haben? Es kann sein.
Die Sonne ist schwer, wie bei uns tief im Sommer.
Aber wir haben im Sommer Abschied genommen.
Die Kleider der Frauen leuchteten lang aus dem Grün.
Und nun reiten wir lang. Es muß also Herbst sein.
Wenigstens dort, wo traurige Frauen von uns wissen.”
1 likes
More quotes…