Nocover-blank-133x176
Secrets of the Vine: B...

Bruce Wilkinson

Secrets of the Vine: Breaking Through to Abundance

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  4,670 ratings  ·  93 reviews
In this powerful follow-up to his bestseller The Prayer of Jabez, Dr. Bruce Wilkinson explores John 15 to show readers how to make maximum impact for God. Dr. Wilkinson demonstrates how Jesus is the Vine of life, discusses four levels of "fruit bearing" (doing the good work of God), and reveals three life-changing truths that will lead readers to new joy and effectiveness...more
ebook
Published April 4th 2012 by Multnomah Books (first published 2001)

Atlantis
I could not finish this book, I thought there were a lot of things the author was writing was just wrong and I felt like the whole metaphor of the vines and pruning were just overdone and made the message that much more confusing. I don't think that God is trying to keep secrets from me, I believe (to quote Fr Barron) that God has loved us all into existence and He loves us just the way we are-we are the ones that have to let God in and through our free will accept what he wants for us.
Stephanie Blake
This book helped my understanding of what Jesus was saying in John 15. I especially appreciated Bruce's conversation with a vineyard owner and his explanation of why the new vines often need to be lifted up off the ground and cleaned. Often John 15:2 is translated "Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away," but "takes away" can also be translated as "takes up" or "lifts up." That picture makes sense.
Valerie
The assertion by the author that God is pruning you by causing bad things to happen to you due to your sin, is quite frankly, insulting and demeaning. I had hoped that kind of thinking had died out with the Puritans. Yes, we will all go through trials, because all have sinned and fallen short, but to imply that getting cancer (as one example) is because of the magnitude of your sin is ridiculous. Do not read this book.
Lucky
This book is worth reading over and over again. It makes a walk with Jesus so much more functional and fulfilling.
Michael Peterson
Love this book about Abiding in God's love and recognizing God's discipline in our lives. John 15
L.S.
A aduce roadă nu înseamnă doar a aduce oameni la Cristos. Roada sau fructul este orice lucru bun pe care credinciosul îl trăieşte – fie gând, atitudine sau acţiune, care au valoare înaintea lui Dumnezeu pentru că Îi aduc glorie. Fructul este acel rod al Duhului Sfânt care te face mai asemănător lui Cristos. "Dar roada Duhului este dragostea, bucuria, pacea, răbdarea, bunătatea, generozitatea, credinţa, blândeţea, înfrânarea. (Galateni 5:22)"

Don’t compare your progress to anything or anyone but...more
Kari
I re-read this book after a small group discussion about the difference between God's punishment and bad things happening just because we live in a fallen world.

This little book has some big truths in it, and I would recommend it to any Christian.

Wilkinson talks about the vine/branches passage in John 15 and it is very eye-opening. Here are the three "secrets" he discusses:

#1 If your life consistently bears no fruit, God will intervene to discipline you. (Fruit being anything of eternal value in...more
Nino Guarisco
I will rarely give a book "five stars", but this one is deserving. Bruce does a phenomenal job describing the various seasons of life we go through as disciples of Christ. By looking at John 15, the author describes four different "seasons of fruit bearing". No fruit, fruit, more fruit and much fruit. Are you a relatively new follower of Christ? This book is a must read. Have you been serving Christ for several years, experienced much fruit in your life, but now feel like there's a ceiling over...more
Christopher M.
Similar to his treatment of Scripture in "The Prayer of Jabez" Wilkinson seems to have almost no inkling about how and why the Bible was written, or how it ought to be applied to our lives today. Indeed, the goal IS to get to application, but only after we understand what the text would have meant to the writer and original audience. Instead of demonstrating to the reader that he has this knowledge, he imposes his own perception of "abundance" on the text, rather than letting Scripture interpret...more
Tara
I've read this book at least 3 times. It was life changing the first time that I read it and I continue to grow and transform each time that I read it.
Jesse Jaeger
GOOD book but not nearly as popular because Bruce goes into what kind of life God expects His children to live.
Jeanette
"...what God wants from me - a fruitful harvest for Him." (15)

"[Fruit in the Bible doesn't mean evangelism only] ...fruit symbolized the best result or sweetest prize in life." (20)

"The fruit from your life is how God receives His due honor on earth . . . You bear inner fruit when you allow God to nurture in you a new, Christlike quality... You bear outward fruit when you allow God to work through you to bring Him glory." (21)

"'New branches have a natural tendency to trail down and grow along th...more
Erlyn Trinidad
Secrets of the Vine: Breaking Through to Abundance is beyond a beautiful read. I thank the Lord for this book, in the same way I am grateful for the Mr. Wilkinson's other book - The Prayer of Jabez. The spiritual truths and insights in this book has been instrumental in making me learn about what it is like to break through from daily routines and devotions that feel rather empty and more of a chore in the past.

Today, whenever I see a bunch of grapes, I see more than just a juicy and succulent...more
A good short book about how to start bearing fruit or bear more fruit for our Lord, both inwardly (our character issues) and outwardly (bringing people to Christ). It has a great chart about the difference of the seasons of disciplining or pruning to understand whether God is trying to help us overcome sin issues or correcting our values. Author Wilkinson acknowledges that either way, it is a very painful process. However, the less we struggle with God the faster the process is & the more fr...more
Jane
Our womens group read this book. Very good book. Loved the details and explanations he provided for defining John 15. I love the picture you visualize as the vineyard is explained. How branches are lifted up off the ground as they start to grow along the ground because fruit doesn't grow there. The gardener will water them and wash them off. Then they start to grow and thrive!

Isn't that just like God in our lives? When we stumble and fall...he will lift us back up and clean us off....then we st...more
Flora
The emphasis on abiding and the steps towards it caught my eye. It is a great book and i recommend every christian to read it.
Michelle
This book teaches you that sometimes you may need to go through some tough situations in order to get where God needs and wants you to be. It is not an easy process but a necessary one to become who God has created you to be. A great sequel to The prayer of Jabez and a must read!!!
Chacko
Is there words for this book? We are the vine - are we ready? To be pruned?
Tammie Olson
Every believer should Read it!
Danielle Williams
I wish I could say I enjoyed this book, but I really can't. I expected so much more from this book, given that everyone who knows about it raves about it. It had an interesting premise, but there was so much conjecture and lack of concrete research that I found myself doubting what I read and doing my own research to draw my own conclusions. That's not exactly what you want when you read a devotional. Instead of encouraging me it only made me doubt my own relationship with God.
Philip Hartman
I read this book at a time in my life when this was the message I need to hear, so for me it altered my perspective on struggles in life. It opened my mind and my heart to the whole idea that sometimes God allows us to suffer or struggle in some way to help us grow stronger to serve His purpose in the future. If we are "bearing fruit" we may be pruned so that we may "bear more fruit". I consider this a must read for any Christian.
June
Beautifully written. It's a key to fruitfulness - John 15
Danni
I am doing a study on abundance and this is one of the first books I have read. I guess I need to learn to forgive.
Chuck Engelhardt
Not bad. I can't say I had any startling revelations come out of reading this book so the "Break Through" title seems a bit overstated to me. I did learn a few things and I definitely appreciated the explanations and clarifications Wilkinson uses. It is definitely a book with lessons that I will use in the future as I have opportunity to explain these concepts to others.
Deana Porter
While I did appreciate the book's explanation of how God works in our lives on different levels this book did not speak to me the way many others have lately. I found myself just trying to finish it after a while. I will probably come back to it in another season of life and see if I get even more out of it. I am glad I read it, but I guess I was hoping for a little more.
Debbie
I read the Prayer of Jabez and loved it, bought copies for several friends. Then I read this one and was amazed that it was even better than Jabez. I read it years ago and have pulled it out to read it again. It's the kind you can and probably should read every few years to revitalize the awe this book inspires. Wilkinson packs a lot of punch in these little books.
Val
This looks like more prosperity gospel heresy. I want to read it so that I can know what it says, as it was a fairly popular devotional (though not as popular as The Prayer of Jabez). I have several friends who are *tiny devotional junkies*, and I am trying to bring them into the realm of less *spiritual junk food* to more "quality" reading.
Jo
This was one of those books that fell into my life at an incredible important time... It's an in-depth look into Jesus's walk to Gethsemane with his apostles... The parable he shares - and the meaning behind the parable... Again - I am indebted to Bruce Wilkinson for having the courage to share his own personal discoveries... I am grateful...
Becky Morlok
I used this book with Purpose Driven Life (Warren) and If You Want to Walk on Water (Ortberg) in my spiritual gift workshops. It's one of my all time favorites in helping you transition through really tough times when God seems absent. I remember using a few examples from this book with my son when he was 16! EVERYONE should read this book!
Steven
I have read this slim volume five or six times. What an excellent exhortation to prayer and a deeper spiritual life, made interesting by Wilkinson's experience as part owner of a small vineyard. This book is blessed with useful, practical spiritual truth, and will encourage the reader to 'abide in Christ' more deeply.
  • The God Chasers: My Soul Follows Hard After Thee
  • Amplified Bible
  • The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving (LifeChange Books)
  • No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross
  • The Power of a Praying Woman
  • A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23
  • The Unquenchable Worshipper: Coming Back to the Heart of Worship
  • Intercessory Prayer: How God Can Use Your Prayers to Move Heaven & Earth
Bruce Wilkinson is recognized as one of the world's foremost Christian teachers and speakers. But he is best known as the author of the New York Times #1 bestseller, The Prayer of Jabez, and other bestsellers including A Life God Rewards, Secrets of the Vine, and The Dream Giver. He is the founder of WorldTeach, a global initiative to train Bible teachers in every nation. Wilkinson also founded Dr...more
More about Bruce Wilkinson...
The Prayer of Jabez:  Breaking Through to the Blessed Life The Dream Giver: Following Your God-Given Destiny A Life God Rewards: Why Everything You Do Today Matters Forever The Prayer of Jabez for Teens (Breakthrough Series) You Were Born for This: Seven Keys to a Life of Predictable Miracles